Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Welp it's been another month of treating for parasites and the L14s look no better. When they kick it, I might just chuck the entire 20 gallon, even with all the new caves, and not worry about cross contamination with new stock.

I know I always tell people to get an extra pair or to buy extra: ie my friend wanted 2 dojo loaches, so I told her to buy 5-6 in case some didn't make it, and because they are so rare around here.

In total I've spent way too much on L14 from last Xmas and had a total of 12 fish. So far out of those 2 juvies have made it out of the woods (maybe) and the last 4 are still thin and being treated with flubendazole and metroplex for internal parasites. At least they're eating still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Sick fish are the worst :( I hope your survivors pull through, you never know whats going to happen. I still have the same 2 plague corydoras going strong (uh maybe thats the wrong word) since october last year; eating, spawning, not really improving or worsening. I thought it was going to be the end about a month ago but I was once again, wrong. While they're still eating there's still some hope.

Just trying to find some scissors to cut the wrapping paper for last minute gift wrapping before Mother's day tomorrow and all I can find are my long aquascaping scissors, oh well better than nothing I guess :shrug:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Another week and I have another issue with my tank. I've included some semi blurry pics below but some of the black phantoms have white spots down near their tail fins. They seem to stand up a little from the surface of their body. Looks like I'll have to get some meds tomorrow but what specifically should I be getting to help these guys out. Its only on the biggest male phantoms. I don't know why the tank is doing this now seeing as no new fish have been added for at least 3 months or so.

Pictures:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not sure if thats fungus or just a wound. Tetras tend to bite each others tails when they fight in my very limited experience. Have you seen any territorial behaviour? I wouldn't panic yet since there's an alternative explanation than a disease that needs to be knocked on the head - maybe stick some indian almond leaves in for tannins since that can help heal wounds. For now I would watch the spots and watch their behaviour until you have more of an idea of what it could be. A pulled off scale might look something like that on a tetra, I'm not sure.

Absolutely research whether any meds you use are plant safe because some definitely are not. Or set up a hospital tank/tub for the fish that need treatment, to spare your display tank.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They spend most of their time flailing at each other so that could be a big part of it. A couple of shrimp have checked out as well but that I don’t mind so much. Water parameters look completely fine as well.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So I've got at least 2 baby panda's going strong, ~possibly~ 3. They're so tiny though. So I present to you some more little cute fishies:

This guy seems to hang around the vertical piece of wood I've got, between it and a chunk of dragonstone. The only other fish that can fit in their are the tetras, who are too small to eat him, and the other cory's.

This guy, however, is an rear end in a top hat who likes to float upside down in the plants so I think he's dead. Protip: he's not at all dead - he just likes sleeping upside down. In the java moss. Ballsy, to - doesn't even swim away from my pleco. He just hangs out. I'd worry he wasn't healthy, but when I feed the tank, he's eating like a fiend:

So, in summary, I am so loving stoked that my Panda's bred. Haven't seen a ton of eggs again lately, but that's okay. I moved the rainbowfish in after a quarantine period, so the cory's are a bit more stressed. I'm just going to up the water changes a bit more, and maybe get some frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp for them to eat. See if I can't get another successful spawn.

edit - for a size summary, that piece of mesh with the moss on it is...an inch I think? Maybe less.
Also - forgive my swords. They're not looking well - going to slap more root tabs in when I water change later today.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 13, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

:stwoon:

Pandas are so cute! I'm kind of sad my sterbai fry are getting big enough now that they're losing their eyepatches and going spotty all over like their parents. Still cute but pandas are definitely my favourite.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Stoca Zola posted:

:stwoon:

Pandas are so cute! I'm kind of sad my sterbai fry are getting big enough now that they're losing their eyepatches and going spotty all over like their parents. Still cute but pandas are definitely my favourite.

I love all cory's - well, basically all (most) catfish. Panda's, though, are just awesome.

Which always bring up a crazy thought - what other "Panda" fish are there? Anything black and white that could peacefully live together. I'd be so tempted to make a panda-themed tank.
Once I get my basement reno'd and my fish-room going I'm setting up a few 30 or 40 gallons for cory's only to try and get them to breed. Not sure what types yet, but definitely at least one tank for panda's, and likely one for either albino's or salt and pepper cory's.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I can only think of panda guppies and panda garra (which look more like clowns to me). Apparently there is a panda barb too and it makes me suspect the person who named it doesn't know what a panda looks like.

I was thinking of doing an animal themed tank at some point, having pandas, peacocks, zebras, penguins, already; but the idea fell apart due to compatibility issues, mostly the wars between zebra and penguin.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Panda garras look panda-ish when babies. My adults look more like clowns in color?

Picked up some spotted raphael catfish last night. Needed a pick me up after the rest.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
After a long, long battle with a bacterial bloom my tank water has finally cleared, and with the cleared water came an awesome surprise! My previous 3 corys have now grown to 6!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcvvQHUnU0

A short video I took today of everybody doing their thing. Excuse any heavy breathing you here, I'm getting over a back injury and it's still hard to stand for any real length of time.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I went away on vacation for a week. Instead of my usual fish friend, our new housemate fed the fish while I was gone.

My siamensis died while I was gone and now my angelfish is swimming vertically off and on. It couldn't even escape the suction of the filter. I've got it in a quarantine tank dosed with some salt. Tried to get him to eat a pea a few times over the past couple days, but no luck. Not seeing much improvement. :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone here have or has had a native tank? My son wants to do one so I'm going to help him set it up and catch a few small fish from the local pond (Florida) was thinking a few little sunfish and killi fish, maybe some shrimp depending on what we find. Have just read up on cycling a new tank before putting in fish, should I use native plants as well?

Stoca Zola posted:

Only one I know of is Dan Hiteshew on YouTube who I think is in Maryland. He has had golden shiners, rosy side dace, sculpins, and other fish that I've never heard of before and don't recall (sunfish maybe? Smallmouth bass?) plus feral fish like a Mayan Cichlid and a tilapia. He also gets some kind of crayfish. I imagine the stuff he catches in his local creek isn't going to match a Florida pond that well!

He had issues with flow and oxygenation due to the creek conditions he was getting his fish from, which probably won't be so much of a problem for a warmer florida pond, I would guess you'd be looking at conditions closer to typical tropical fish keeping there. Looks like there are dwarf crayfish native to Florida (cambarellus blacki) so if you find any they might be fun to keep too! I think plants are always a good idea in any tank where plants are possible.

I am always interested in this kind of thing because it's an opportunity to see fish that we just don't experience in the hobby as they are not commercially attractive for whatever reason. Good luck with it and please post pictures :D
I don't think I've had what can really be properly called a native tank, but I've kept a bunch of fish I've caught myself, both freshwater and saltwater, but I'm also in Maryland, so while a lot of the creek/river fish here will also occur in ponds and lakes, how well the experience and conditions here will carry over to what you find in Florida will vary greatly.
Medium to large sunfish, catfish, the more widespread minnows can handle a huge range. Stuff that's more restricted to the southern US in range, you can practically handle the same as tropical fish.
What size tank are you working with, and are you thinking of taking in whatever you catch, or being a little more selective?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone here have or has had a native tank? My son wants to do one so I'm going to help him set it up and catch a few small fish from the local pond (Florida) was thinking a few little sunfish and killi fish, maybe some shrimp depending on what we find. Have just read up on cycling a new tank before putting in fish, should I use native plants as well?

I've never done but always wanted to do a native tank so I've spitballed it on and off for years, plus I've been in the Florida-ish area almost all my life. How big of a tank are you thinking? It'd be very easy to keep gambusia minnows going in something tiny but they will breed like the roaches livebearers are. Flagfish are cool but I don't know how reliable they are to find in the wild.

If you're in the 50-75 gallon range then some shell cracker or warmouth could maybe be okay to keep. They're not bad looking fish and you could buy feeder snails for the shell cracker :v: Warmouth are basically small bass, super dope.

Madtoms are another thing to try if you can find them. They're small catfish that are fairly omnipresent but may be difficult to track down in the wild.

To update on my stupid plant quest, I've settled for sure on parrot feather in one of my HOB's, and I'm going to shoot the moon and try water poppies for the other. Parrot feather has been interesting so far because it definitely tracks light; in the morning it's pointing out the windows but at night it's aiming at the fixtures. I dig the foliage on it too, definitely not a plant common for anything that isn't a koi pond but I'm thinking I can swing it. The clump I got was literally growing in a concrete birdbath laying on the ground with almost no water in it, so it's for sure hardy :v:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Would a nerite moving betweenthe substrate and my glossostigma be uprooting it?having some issues getting it to stay down in my work tank and I'm wondering if I should just be pulling it home for a while so it can establish itself

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They've been like this for hours. Not sure if humping or just lazy. :thunk:

Possibly humping and lazy? It's been hours. Come on guys, get on with it already. Good to see I manged to snag a male and female though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I need to downgrade my lighting for my 29 gallon. I currently have a 1W Beamswork light which is actually pretty amazing for the $27 it cost me, but it's completely overkill for my Anubias and Java Fern. Whats a good light that will keep my plants alive but not grow insane amounts of algae? Stingray?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I need to downgrade my lighting for my 29 gallon. I currently have a 1W Beamswork light which is actually pretty amazing for the $27 it cost me, but it's completely overkill for my Anubias and Java Fern. Whats a good light that will keep my plants alive but not grow insane amounts of algae? Stingray?

Is it possible to keep the same light but move it higher away from the tank? I liked my stingrays a lot but the power supply failed in less than a year (180 day warranty only? They know they're using dud parts).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I stop looking at my tank for a little bit because it's got no critters in it, just plants. I turn back and AAAAGH ITS COVERED IN GREEN HAIR ALGAE FUUUUUCK

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I am buying a new house (closing and moving this coming friday) that has a small (i have not measured, and it's not a rectangle at all, but I would estimate it's about 5 feet long at its longest and 3 feet wide at its widest, and it is 2 feet deep) freshwater pond in its back yard. Prior owner primarily used it for water plants/flowers, but she also had a number of fish in there. She said the fish are all "pond goldfish". I am not quite sure what that means, but she did say they are not koi. I haven't been able to get a good look at one of the fish yet, and will obviously be trying to do that once I'm in the house. The seller did give us a run through on how she has been maintaining the pond over the years (cleaning the pump every week, emptying the water and scrubbing the algae and other scum once a year, lowering the plants off their brick pedestals so that they are low enough to be below the ice in the winter, and so forth).

Anyway, all that being said, I was reading the OP of this thread and looking around the subform and did not find any resources for outdoor ponds like this - assuming this thread is the closest thing I am going to find - does anyone know of good resources for someone completely new at maintaining a pond like this?

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
After a cyanobacteria outbreak and losing 90% of my dwarf hairgrass carpet to a water siphon accident (was lightly siphoning the hairgrass, got distracted and pushed the tube way too hard into it. Ripped half of it right up), it was time to re do my tank. Here it is freshly re scaped and planted. Managed to salvage a few healthy clumps of hairgrass to plant in the middle, hopefully it will re take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPHLe-uV74

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

schwein11 posted:

Pond things
I started out in the hobby a few years ago wanting to do a backyard pond, collecting plants for it, and accidentally ended up keeping tropical fish instead. Back then I found, and it's probably the same now, a lot of pond information is heavily koi-centric. Huge expensive fish needing large bodies of water with large filtration due to their high capacity for waste production. Your pond is probably 100 - 150 gallons, way smaller than a koi pond, so the maintenance and filtration requirements are closer to an aquarium than a koi pond, but gold fish are sub tropical, can get quite large and produce a lot more waste than the typical aquarium fish so their care requirements are closer to koi than they are to the average tropical fish. So you can find useful and relevant information from both the koi hobby and the aquarium hobby. Luckily goldfish are a very hardy fish and will be pretty forgiving to keep while you are getting the hang of the basics.

By calling them pond goldfish I think the seller is differentiating them from more expensive or fancy goldfish that may have modified fin or body shapes, fancy colour patterns etc. It's still all the same species of fish.

If you've never kept fish before the fundamental place to start is by reading about the nitrogen cycle, beneficial bacteria, and filtration. The same principles apply regardless of the size of the filter. The most important thing is that you do not want your filter or pond to be clean, you want it to be balanced and alive with healthy bacteria to help process wastes, and with stable water parameters. By inheriting an established pond most of the hard work has already been done for you so the work you put in will be just to maintain stability. Pond plants, much like aquarium plants, can be an important part of keeping things stable and maybe sometimes you'll need to trim overgrown plants or remove dead leaves. Fish, especially goldfish, will overeat if allowed so it's important to get a good idea of how much they need vs what they want, and also to feed a quality food that matches the requirements of the fish's diet. Too much food can pollute the water!

I think a good place to start looking for info is YouTube, there are plenty of pond keepers and plant growers doing how-to videos which might give you a better idea of what is involved. Always keep in mind that there are many right ways to do things, if you have something that works and the plants and fish are healthy then there is no need to change things just because someone on the internet does it a different way.

I'm on my phone with no internet at home at the moment so I can't hunt down a bunch of links for you at the moment, but good luck with your new pond and house and please post pictures!

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

I started out in the hobby a few years ago wanting to do a backyard pond, collecting plants for it, and accidentally ended up keeping tropical fish instead. Back then I found, and it's probably the same now, a lot of pond information is heavily koi-centric. Huge expensive fish needing large bodies of water with large filtration due to their high capacity for waste production. Your pond is probably 100 - 150 gallons, way smaller than a koi pond, so the maintenance and filtration requirements are closer to an aquarium than a koi pond, but gold fish are sub tropical, can get quite large and produce a lot more waste than the typical aquarium fish so their care requirements are closer to koi than they are to the average tropical fish. So you can find useful and relevant information from both the koi hobby and the aquarium hobby. Luckily goldfish are a very hardy fish and will be pretty forgiving to keep while you are getting the hang of the basics.

By calling them pond goldfish I think the seller is differentiating them from more expensive or fancy goldfish that may have modified fin or body shapes, fancy colour patterns etc. It's still all the same species of fish.

If you've never kept fish before the fundamental place to start is by reading about the nitrogen cycle, beneficial bacteria, and filtration. The same principles apply regardless of the size of the filter. The most important thing is that you do not want your filter or pond to be clean, you want it to be balanced and alive with healthy bacteria to help process wastes, and with stable water parameters. By inheriting an established pond most of the hard work has already been done for you so the work you put in will be just to maintain stability. Pond plants, much like aquarium plants, can be an important part of keeping things stable and maybe sometimes you'll need to trim overgrown plants or remove dead leaves. Fish, especially goldfish, will overeat if allowed so it's important to get a good idea of how much they need vs what they want, and also to feed a quality food that matches the requirements of the fish's diet. Too much food can pollute the water!

I think a good place to start looking for info is YouTube, there are plenty of pond keepers and plant growers doing how-to videos which might give you a better idea of what is involved. Always keep in mind that there are many right ways to do things, if you have something that works and the plants and fish are healthy then there is no need to change things just because someone on the internet does it a different way.

I'm on my phone with no internet at home at the moment so I can't hunt down a bunch of links for you at the moment, but good luck with your new pond and house and please post pictures!

Thank you for the response. I definitely intend to dig around the internet a bit to figure more of this out, and I appreciate the direction. Once I get settled in to the house, which is a big enough project, I will hopefully be able to spend time figuring out the pond.

Here's the best picture I currently have of the thing (and I'll obviously be able to get more/better pictures, in particular of the fish, once I'm moved in):

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

Sorry to double post but on the point I quoted here - the seller has told us there is no need to add extra food to the water, the fish are fine just eating the available algae. As for cleaning it, it sounds like the main cleaning (other than of the pump/filter, which she says she hoses out once a week), is to get out any leaves that have collected on the bottom of the pond early in the fall before putting a screen cover over it for the fall/winter, and at the same time she said she also takes a brush and tries to scrub off the algae (which didn't make a lot of sense to me if the algae is the fish food source, but maybe it just gets excessive?).

As for keeping fish, my almost 6 year old son has a male betta fish that we've had for about 9 months or so now, but that's really been the extent of it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

schwein11 posted:

Thank you for the response. I definitely intend to dig around the internet a bit to figure more of this out, and I appreciate the direction. Once I get settled in to the house, which is a big enough project, I will hopefully be able to spend time figuring out the pond.

Here's the best picture I currently have of the thing (and I'll obviously be able to get more/better pictures, in particular of the fish, once I'm moved in):

That's a really nicely done pond!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

schwein11 posted:

Sorry to double post but on the point I quoted here - the seller has told us there is no need to add extra food to the water, the fish are fine just eating the available algae. As for cleaning it, it sounds like the main cleaning (other than of the pump/filter, which she says she hoses out once a week), is to get out any leaves that have collected on the bottom of the pond early in the fall before putting a screen cover over it for the fall/winter, and at the same time she said she also takes a brush and tries to scrub off the algae (which didn't make a lot of sense to me if the algae is the fish food source, but maybe it just gets excessive?).

As for keeping fish, my almost 6 year old son has a male betta fish that we've had for about 9 months or so now, but that's really been the extent of it.

Check around, but I know my local fish store does sessions on ponds occasionally. What you have may work pretty well, but any extra knowledge is gonna help. Best case it'll give you some insight into any stocking options for fish/plants you might not have thought of and will give you a really killer basis for a pond

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
My parents have a pond which pretty quickly became a self sustaining little ecosystem with very little effort. Over the years it has had goldfish, silver perch and white cloud minnows in it. The goldfish got moved out because they were eating the frog spawn but they were happy enough to start breeding in there. The silver perch got eaten by a heron and it now has a breeding population of white clouds in it, as well as frogs and all kinds of aquatic insects. It gets topped up with rain or water from the hose if needed but other than that nothing is done to maintain it.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my fish are currently in a five gallon bucket with my old 10 gallon filter + all of their plants bc we had to move my aquarium for the exterminator people lol :shepicide: good time to deep clean the algae but I'm not sure my fish are coping too well. I saw another catfish swimming weird. ugh.

this looks cool as heck

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Work had me in the area of the nice fish store about an hour away, so I took advantage of that today. Traded in a bucket full of 90 juvie bristlenose plecos, came home with 25 fancy male guppies that will be going into my outdoor planted tank and a tiger oscar that I'm going to QT for my brother while we get his 55g tank setup. Productive day at work!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Every time I see a pond I think, I could do that! gently caress, I could do it easy because we have an in ground pool that has been empty for years because the plumbing started to leak and the filter broke.

Then I remember it gets 120* sometimes and there's no shade over it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Get some of those nutty pupfish that live in death valley or whatever. Beep boop simple.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I've been doing DIY C02 on my 29 gallon planted tank. I had an old check valve that I put on there to make sure I didn't get any leaks. I just unplug the bottle from the check valve every night.

Welp, the other night I unplugged the bottle like usual, and a couple hours later I went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night to a sound of splashing water. (I keep my 29 gallon in my bedroom). I jumped out of bed and turned on the light and almost half of the freaking tank was empty and the carpet was sopping wet. At first I thought it was a crack or something in the glass but it turned out that when I unplugged the bottle the stem on the check valve snapped and sometime during the night it started pouring water onto the carpet.

I had to grab a bunch of towels and try to sop up the water and then fill the tank back up. This was like 2AM in the morning. Thankfully it doesn't seem like there was much water damage.

Make sure you use new check valves and make sure to change them out every once in a while. I'll probably just make sure the air tube is above the water level from now on so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 23, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It took one big accidental siphon of fish poop water from my waste bucket on to the lounge room carpet to convince me to buy a cheap wet/dry vacuum for emergency carpet cleanups. Definitely one of my better fish keeper quality-of-life bits of gear, no matter how careful I am sooner or later water ends up on the floor.

I've got a fan drying the last remaining dampness from the kitchen floor right now from when I forgot what I was doing and tilted a media basket after I'd just rinsed it and it was soaking wet.

Monday I finally talked my sister into getting water into the tank she's had empty since Christmas. We got the sand washed, decorations in and tank full and I took some floating plants around to see what works. Didn't have enough time to get a pic before she had to leave for work but it's a typical 15g hooded tank with what looks to me like a half decent LED built in the hood and overhead trickle filter. Her current tiny tank has 3 rasboras and one Cory, last water changed ??? weeks ago. TDS of their tank water was 500+ppm and the water she uses to change is 20ppm so most of those dissolved solids are nitrates I'm betting. I think the only thing keeping her fish alive is the majestic coating of algae on every surface of the tank.

It seems to be some tufted variation on marimo cladophora although I tried growing a piece in my tank and it died in a matter of days.

I got her a bag of ceramic media to seed in her little tank to transfer later and hopefully with patience we will be able to cycle the new tank and gently transition the fish to a bigger and more stable environment. All I want is for her to realise it's not that hard to change water slightly more often!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

oof that's a dank tank

I did lose one catfish during bucket-time :( rip little buddy.

since we had to move the whole aquarium + stand for the exterminators, I got the chance to actually level out the entire setup when we put it back! so it's not unlevel anymore!! yaaaayyyy!!!!

I got my tank rearranged a bit and it's nice and clean and bright again. wishing I had done more to fix the java moss but my hands are all upset after being in water for 2 hours anyway.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the video quality varies on twitter but eh

https://twitter.com/snooeisen/status/999823303241093120

it looks really jumpy to me so here's the original if you want

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Your corys seem way less dumb about food than mine. Even with live wiggling worms it seems like they only eat them by accident and are surprised to get a mouthful of something edible.

I've lost a couple more fry and have a few definite runts from my sterbai fry but most of them are looking good and doing well. No losses in the main tank and none in the hang on back breeder box which is on a gudgeon tank, even though that box is running pretty cold. Just seems to be issues in the grow out tank, even though I cycled the filters the tank could have done with being more mature I think. Still couldn't get any o-nip so I'm trying viformo which I think is the same stuff without the ground up brine and gammarus shrimp mixed in. Fry have taken to it well which is good as it's got veg in and I think they're big enough that they should be getting more than just high protein super grow food.

Checked the "pond" tonight, all guppies look well and thermometer says it's 20 degrees which is easily warm enough. Actually that reminds me, I never did have the guppy apocalypse that I was expecting, after the first week when a bunch of them died, I've really only had a few that look a bit skinny or bendy, and now they're breeding and eating and looking a lot better. I still think the disease is present in the tank but the majority of guppies are not showing ill effects.

Hoping to get the final bits (some F clamps) to rebrace the now empty 4' tank tomorrow. Even when empty the middle sags open by 2mm without bracing. Kind of scary thinking about what it's like under load. So the clamps will be to support the sides against the 2mm of sag. I'm not sure if I need to put a weight on top of the brace or if I can just let it float on the silicone when I'm gluing it. The part that gave way had much thinner silicone than the side that held, so from that I think I should just let it float. I don't know if I'll ever be confident enough to fill the tank right up ever again even after I fix it!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So I’ve had a horrible time with my baby goldfish tank over the last couple of weeks. Gone down from 7 to 3, checked the water, did water changes anyway, treated for everything under the sun. Removed all the decorations, changed the sand. Finally figured out wtf

Face timed my tank in the night to see the largest of my black moors mutilating the corpses of his latest victims. He’s been waiting till the big lights go off and latching on to the sides and tails of the other fish while they sleep, wounds look like fin rot or a bacterial infection and I am none the wiser. It’s the perfect crime.

The fucker was actually nudging victim number 7 to the side of the filter so it would remain nice and still. Of the two survivors one is a hell of a lot faster than him and looks fine but I fear last night’s killing spree may have been too much for the other.

Of all the goldfish in the world I pick a serial killer.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ I had an angelfish like that. I know they're aggressive at times, but once the other two paired up he got real ragey and would beat on the couple regularly till I separated them

Well, my shubunkin bought it. I got him when he was almost four inches tip to tail, he was 7 1/2 when he died. We had a massive power outage because it got warm and everyone kicked on the AC. The tank got really damned warm during the whole thing and after he just stopped eating and kinda sulked around. Came home from work one night and he was laying lifeless on the bottom.
So I guess I'm kicking off my shrimp tank now

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 28, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god heat is the bain of my life. I have to do 20% changes every day, sometimes twice, just to keep the temps down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

RIP fishies :(
Sorry for the losses of your fish.

I'm struggling to find a balance between feeding enough food and maintaining water quality on my fry tanks. Water change day tomorrow so I'll do a 50% change and hope for the best. Not sure if that's why I'm losing the odd fry or if that's just normal losses as are expected in egg laying fish. When I've raised fry before usually by the time they're this big they are out of the woods.

My tank re-brace seems to be going okay, I took the clamp off after 24 hours and the silicone seems to still be glued. I'm kind of paranoid now that I had the clamp too tight, it's made the sides concave, and this is somehow bad and the tank will bust. I can't see if that's actually true but I'm feeling paranoid just the same. Will be interesting to see if it holds up to a water fill test (not in my lounge room obviously).

I counted 50 eggs on the glass on the main sterbai tank last night, but I'm pretty sure that the current fry population is not leaving any food for new fry to survive on. Not sure, I still don't have a good idea of how many fry are in that tank due to how wiggly they are.

I feel like all my other tanks are a bit neglected right now!