Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Genuinely laughing at the fact that botl got probed for saying a movie whose ending was nullified three months later was disposable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

don't care about botl and w/e dumb marvel bullshit your talking about

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
quit loving a child and watch thor 3

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

jagstag posted:

don't care about botl and w/e dumb marvel bullshit your talking about

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Philip Roth just died. Portnoy’s Complaint rules and is funny as gently caress and will speak to several posters itt regarding jerking off and being yelled at by your mom. It’s also not c/d so it would maybe fit the thread.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

Philip Roth just died.

I hate today.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I am intensely regretting never getting off my rear end to read The Counterlife.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Shame it's too late now. All the works are burned with their author, as is custom.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Philip Wraith.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
philip rot

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This article got me interested in Adam Thorpe's version, although I have yet to read any translation of the book. If you want to compare them yourself, Google has a nice preview of the Davis, and Amazon has a Look Inside option for the Thorpe.

Bandiet posted:

Read Francis Steegmuller's translation, and then read his book Flaubert And Madame Bovary.

I finally had a chance to compare these. I'm going to go ahead and get Thorpe's version; the prose is a little more poetic. If I can find the Steegmuller's version at my local used book store, I'll grab that one too. Thank you for the help.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Roth is a horrible moral leper and everything he's written has been sick.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

pospysyl posted:

agreed. the literary world has lost an angel.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Rilip Photh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

pospysyl posted:

Yeah, works of fiction are obligated to adhere to a moral code dictated by the reader. Also, you're boring.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's a Nixon quotation, you lost the game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

Philip Wraith.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

pospysyl posted:

Would you say he was... a Human Stain?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I thought The Plot Against America was great and that's about all I know.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've only read Indignation because it used to be part of Amazon's super inferior "Kindle Lending Library" program which I used a bit before I just started using the actual library. Anyway, all I remember about it is that the title is a reference to the narrator constantly repeating "In-dig-nay-SHUN!" in his head for some reason.

That's my Roth story, may he R.I.P.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I read 1 philip roth short story once but thought it was unmemorable.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
american pastoral is amazing. rip in peace philip roth you were a very good writer.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm reading the Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra and I highly recommend it. Only one story of nine in but The Man Can Write

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 25, 2022

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Just finished My Struggle Book 5 and I gotta say, these books are amazing therapy tools if you struggle with shame and embarrassment about your past. Karl Ove is just so much bigger of an Idiot Fucker than I could ever be, even my life looks good compared to this dude!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm reading the Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra and I highly recommend it. Only one story of nine in but The Man Can Write

I don't think I've ever disliked a book title more than this

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I don't think I've ever disliked a book title more than this

It sounds like one of those comedy sci fi books by computer scientists that half this forum seems to read

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Surprised that you guys don't seem familiar with that book. I remember it making a decent splash when it came out.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

friendly 2 da void posted:

Just finished My Struggle Book 5 and I gotta say, these books are amazing therapy tools if you struggle with shame and embarrassment about your past. Karl Ove is just so much bigger of an Idiot Fucker than I could ever be, even my life looks good compared to this dude!

I finished the third one and needed to take a break. I dunno if I’ll ever finish, the second hand embarrassment was too loving brutal.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

friendly 2 da void posted:

Idiot fucker as in a guy who fucks idiots or a fucker who's an idiot? Either way, sold.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What if I'm an idiot, but I don't gently caress?

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 25, 2022

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

WatermelonGun posted:

I finished the third one and needed to take a break. I dunno if I’ll ever finish, the second hand embarrassment was too loving brutal.

Four and five are maybe even worse, but I'm really enjoying it. I think the books are hilarious comedies so that takes away some of the sting. IMHO it's intentional, there's no way someone as perceptive as Karl Ove doesn't realize how he's coming off...right? Like that moment where he runs for class president and he gets exactly one vote cuz all his middle school classmates hate him? And they're all like "we know you voted for yourself Karl Ove its pretty obvious" and he just denies everything with zero shame while turning increasingly pink. Haha.

Or in Book 2 when he's angry drunkenly SCREAMING at his wife about some stupid crap, and she's calmly like "uh dude can you please lay off" and he just immediately bursts into sobbing tears cause he can't handle anything. That's a lol moment.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Idiot fucker as in a guy who fucks idiots or a fucker who's an idiot? Either way, sold.

He didn't masturbate until he was like 19 and his wet dreams were a constant source of torment for him. He couldn't lose his virginity cause he kept cumming in his pants and girls would just immediately leave the room. This information takes up like hundreds and hundreds of pages. They're some good literature :yum:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Guy A. Person posted:

What if I'm an idiot, but I don't gently caress?

Then I would kindly direct you to the SF/fantasy thread.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Shame is a very good drive for an author but I prefer it kept out of the book itself, manifesting only in a seething hostility to everybody else.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Surprised that you guys don't seem familiar with that book. I remember it making a decent splash when it came out.

I think only like, Mel is actually hooked up to any sort of current book press. The dutch guy who's name I forget takes the LRB I think.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If it werent for this thread i would be living in utter bliss, completely unaware of contemporary american fiction

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Reading Mary Robison's Why Did I Ever—which is marvelous, but I'm trying to figure out why David Markson comes up so infrequently in criticism of this book. The influence is so obvious that the cover design is just a bunch of 3 x 5 ruled notecards with the title written on them. (Markson famously wrote Wittgenstein's Mistress by writing individual lines on notecards in order to play with their arrangement/associations.) Why Did I Ever also has the associative, scatterbrained narration; the older, female, possibly insane artist for a narrator; who intersperses hints about some trauma related to her son with disconnected vignettes from long road trips. It's its own work, no doubt, with a unique voice and all sorts of other qualities separating it from WM, but still I'm baffled that the only things I can find explicitly linking the two books are (1) one of these irritating formulaic "instead of X, read Y" blog posts, (2) a couple tweets, and (3) the book Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I bought a copy of gravitys rainbow. Itll arrive in time so I won't miss pynchon may

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Update: Why Did I Ever owns. Liked just about everything about it, including the portable CD player, because that was a thing in 2001. That poor cat. Those horrible people.

A bunch of reviews I'm reading now make the mistake of calling the novel "experimental". The story is pretty dang straightforward, with a traditional main plot and a few lighter subplots, and they're not at all hard to follow. It's just that she skips the fluff of walking in and out of rooms and watching raindrops form patterns on windows that would balloon the novel to 500+ pages. Robison follows the extremely successful and highly developed experiments of David Markson, David Foster Wallace, and Renata Adler: there's got to be a point past which adopting certain surface formal characteristics ceases to constitute an experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

How can a novel be experimental when there's no control group? That word in reviews means "weird" and you know it. Your rejection of that label because the plot's basic is loving mental, like prose style is irrelevant.