Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Laughing Harder

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I'm still a little behind, but I really like Hinamatsuri. It has some of the most strangely kind cringe humor I've ever seen.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
this is gonna be another lesbian gnomes situation where I feel obligated to tell everyone watching it individually to go read the manga afterwards

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

this is gonna be another lesbian gnomes situation where I feel obligated to tell everyone watching it individually to go read the manga afterwards

I tried to read it ages ago but the early chapters had a real bad translation that threw me off so I couldn't get into it.

I'm weak I know

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
orv specifically should watch the anime instead

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

orv specifically should watch the anime instead

I probably won’t

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

The latest chapter is amazing.

Truly, Hitomi is the most powerful of them all.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

littleorv posted:

I probably won’t

i feel like you would like it, since you love gintama and saiki

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3: Teko is a good dreamer

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

i feel like you would like it, since you love gintama and saiki

Oh wait you weren't taking a shot at me. I'll consider it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm a nice guy

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Gosh some of that pork soup would really hit the spot right now

Pikari's sister's puppet face is v. good

:siren: Cats in costumes! I repeat, cats in costumes!!

Knorth fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 22, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Asis and Aisley continue to be v. good goofs :3: This family is cute

https://files.catbox.moe/puexpx.webm
ganbatte creature family

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Katori is gunna protect these kids from charming and sinister ghosts :stwoon:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Magic forest piano is a funny little show :3: Very sweet too
https://files.catbox.moe/l15dx6.webm

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DisDisDis posted:

Spring Season 2018: Another Lesbian Gnomes Situation

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sorry that was winter 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Knorth posted:

Asis and Aisley continue to be v. good goofs :3: This family is cute

https://files.catbox.moe/puexpx.webm
ganbatte creature family

owo whats this

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Creatures Family Days, it's fansub only at the moment

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Endorph posted:

so what rules am i allowed to break if im going through a rough patch because ill be sure to time my exhentai links to sync up with my mental breaks

if someone's posting gets to the point that it makes multiple people legitimately uncomfortable then thats bad, imo

Whichever rules you like, endorph.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I dropped Creature Family Days after the second episode. None of the characters really grabbed me as interesting or amusing. Same with Uma Musume

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/999132691613151234

I've never seen a show get wrecked this badly before.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I suspect this may be the plot of the Shirobako movie

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've never seen a show get wrecked this badly before.

Man, that's too bad. I didn't watch it but it sounded like some people liked it until the wheels fell off. :(

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/Good_Haro/status/998733982148808704

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the badly animated episodes of marchen were charming, what i didnt like about it was the weird japanocentrism and the fact that the main characters had the least sympathetic motivations of any characters in the show, even though they were the main characters. like in girls und panzer (clearly a huge inspiration) the main characters were fighting to protect their school from school from closing down and every other character just wanted to win for the sake of winning, so rooting for the protags didn't crush anyone's dreams. in marchen it was like

Main Character A: I wanna bone main character B
Main Character B: I want to clear my mom's name
Main Character C: I want to be taller
Main Character D: I want to have smaller breasts

Two of these don't even require winning a magical tournament!

and then the other schools are like

UN School: We were homeless in wartown iraq and had to rely on each other to survive and we just want a place we can live with a roof over our heads. (Also there's only 3 of us so its actually really unfair when main character A joins the match at the last second)

Russia School: Our leader is really shy and naive and people keep taking advantage of her so we want to wish for her to realize how much she means to us.

USA School: Our leader and her sister were raised by abusive priests in an orphanage and their foster father threatened to kick them out if they didn't win.

Like, why would I root for the main characters over any of these people. Also it had the line 'America has no culture of its own so it just steals fairy tales from other countries,' which, lol.

That said the russian episodes are legitimately hilarious, the fight scenes included, and the show's honestly worth watching just for those alone. They pull all sorts of insane schemes to try and prevent the main characters from showing up for the match, and then the fight starts and they all have the lamest powers in the world. It's some really great gag battle manga stuff, reminded me a lot of like, early one piece or something.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Four Lovely Men Who Run A Lovely Cafe That Serves Lovely Food continues to be LOVELY.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Endorph posted:

Also it had the line 'America has no culture of its own so it just steals fairy tales from other countries,' which, lol.

This is absolutely correct though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

give me a native american anime girl or give me death

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Give me a whole anti-anglo Girls und Panzer spinoffs where all the schools are themed after the victims of british colonialism and they also are cute babes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

K. Flaps posted:

America developed plenty of myths and legends before modernity came along to disenchant the world.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
In addition to Native American stuff we also have things like Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, and Pecos Bill. It's just that the U.S. as a nation is young as poo poo so those guys aren't a part of our history in the same way that fairy tales from a lot of other countries are.

There's also all the folk tales told by African American slaves.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Paracelsus posted:

America developed plenty of myths and legends before modernity came along to disenchant the world.

Everyone who says this has to lean real hard on Bunyan and Appleseed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of early american myths/fabled were passed around as true stories about relatively recent figures, see the whole cherry tree thing

i dont necessarily think its even a bad angle for marchen to play with just, well, its pretty funny considering the main character's myth isnt even japanese and one of the other jp girls has a myth that they lifted from china.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

John Appleseed is my favourite Shirow manga

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Well it's always darkest on the bottom of the lighthouse.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

a lot of early american myths/fabled were passed around as true stories about relatively recent figures, see the whole cherry tree thing

i dont necessarily think its even a bad angle for marchen to play with just, well, its pretty funny considering the main character's myth isnt even japanese and one of the other jp girls has a myth that they lifted from china.

lift their myths like they lifted their culture

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah American myths are just all about real people, like Davy Crockett and Joseph Smith and Michael Jordan.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

i thought it wasn't really meant to be a spicy burn, just trying to set up team america world police's schtick of using multimedia as opposed to legends and fables, which was a good gimmick. i say it every time but the Santa Claus girl pulled out guns and a rocket launcher from her santa sack. that's some good poo poo. and we had other girls like the one who was literally Star Wars (except they called it something like Space Wars) and she had the lightsaber sfx and the one who was just 'Zombie' and turned the fight into a horror movie for all of 3 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

superLINUS posted:

Four Lovely Men Who Run A Lovely Cafe That Serves Lovely Food continues to be LOVELY.

:hai: It was a good one this week

• Locked thread