Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
goddamn many hours were wasted with that hoth set with the ion cannon and speeder

like I played the gently caress outta that thing. I took it in the loving tub with me and I would get the water cold in the tub to pretend to be on hoth n poo poo with all the rebels

all the decals eventually wore the gently caress off and I was left with some weird white plastic molds that looked kinda like they belonged somewhere in the kitchen with my moms other baking materials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TheAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure I said it

when I was a kid, when I saw it

as I played with a shitload of my kenner toys from the movie, for kids
I'm not saying Empire isn't for kids.

I'm saying being for kids shouldn't make Last Jedi immune from criticism, and neither should the fact that some of its critics are obnoxious fucktards.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
TLJ was a trainwreck with a few good moments in it, but it could've been even worse given they're very obviously aiming milk the money out of the main movie franchise with the fast 1 year turnaround between them and have to resort to whatever pandering they feel is most topical atm. Then again, it's J.J. Abrams so,...my expectations weren't high to begin with given his past track record.

Now Solo: A Starwars Story...that was a drat good movie. Solidly written story respective of what's been established, a lot of really cool new actors I got exposed to (plus good ole Woody) and I genuinely enjoyed Emilia Clarke doing really well as something other than the Mother of Dlagons.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lets go play the only game released in the last decade without an SJW bias, kingdom come deliverance

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

TheAgent posted:

lets go play the only game released in the last decade without an SJW bias, kingdom come deliverance

Is Witcher 3 really more than decade old at this point? ;)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

TLJ was a trainwreck with a few good moments in it, but it could've been even worse given they're very obviously aiming milk the money out of the main movie franchise with the fast 1 year turnaround between them and have to resort to whatever pandering they feel is most topical atm. Then again, it's J.J. Abrams so,...my expectations weren't high to begin with given his past track record.

Now Solo: A Starwars Story...that was a drat good movie. Solidly written story respective of what's been established, a lot of really cool new actors I got exposed to (plus good ole Woody) and I genuinely enjoyed Emilia Clarke doing really well as something other than the Mother of Dlagons.
actually most of the problems with TLJ reside squarely with rian johnson

I had high hopes for him, but he seemed to get lost in the budget

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheAgent posted:

:nallears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

I'm not saying Empire isn't for kids.

I'm saying being for kids shouldn't make Last Jedi immune from criticism, and neither should the fact that some of its critics are obnoxious fucktards.

TLJ is a perfectly fine kids movie, the problems it has only matter if you see it as something else. ESB is also a perfectly fine kids movie that also happens, almost by accident, to be a good film.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PederP posted:

Is Witcher 3 really more than decade old at this point? ;)
I'm pretty sure dandelion and geralt hosed all the goddamn time

you can't tell me those two didn't bro dip on more than a couple cold, lonely nights

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So, its all the fault of prominent goons .... again!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ah, typical SC subreddit. Rather than address the point, go direct to personal attack, do not pass go, do not collect Star Citizen.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

So, its all the fault of prominent goons .... again!

They could save time by instead listing things that goons and Derek aren't responsible for

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

TheAgent posted:

also TLJ had a ton of freakin problems, the script was all over the place and there was some good opportunities that were completely wasted

but it was pretty okay for a kids movie about laser swords, alien puppets, spaceships that fly at 140mph and magic powers
TLJ's biggest problem is it failed to build on what the TFA started. There were no payoffs because the director went and did his own thing. You can't do that if you are trying to build a triology of movies that's supposed to flow and work together. If he was directing a one off movie like Rogue One fine. The sad part is there's only about 4 changes that needed to be made and the movie would have worked.

So in case you've not seen it:

1. Leia dies instead of going all Marry Poppins y'all. If that's how she had to go out given the circumstances in real life, so be it. Not glorious, but could have accepted it as war sucks and poo poo happens. The fact it was Kylo's wingmen that killed her could have been used later as motivation as to why he turns against Snoke/smoke/whatever.

2. Skip the whole save the nerfherders or whatever sequence. Del Toro's character was interesting as at this point there are people who have seen the fall of the Republic, Rise and Fall of the Empire, and the same with the New Republic & First Order...most average people are probably: "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" and don't care anymore. Which is why the Resistance/Rebels/whatever call for help and it goes unanswered...

3. Admiral purple hair takes Poe aside and tells him her plan to go to crait or crate or krait or whatever.

4. Finn dies ramming the laser gun and saves his friends. Character's arc completes: goes from guy who runs away to one who stands, fights, and dies for a cause.

5. The politics of TFA & TLJ make no sense. At least in the original trilogy there was some world building. Just the few lines where Tarkin tells his officers the senate has been disbanded and control handed over to governors made it feel more like there was an Empire with a massive bureaucracy behind it. I had no idea on what the gently caress had happened in the 30 years between in the story between the battle of endor and the start of TFA.

Not to say there aren't other issues with the movie. But a few minor changes would have made for a much better movie...

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

TheAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure dandelion and geralt hosed all the goddamn time

you can't tell me those two didn't bro dip on more than a couple cold, lonely nights

A generous sprinkling of homoerotic bromance hasn't prevented Witcher 3 from being considered a grade-A, SJW-free, article of gaming, enjoyed in gaming parlors across the world.

On a more serious note, the anti-SJW crowd range from misogynistic, fascist, basement-dwelling incels to decent rational, liberal people, who are just sick and tired of identity politics, and hackjobs using dumb politics to excuse their lack of talent. I don't think being "anti-SJW" is necessarily proof that one is a stupid troglodyte, but I will concede that the louder and frothing the tone of ranting, the more likely it is that the ranter is on the basement-dwelling side of at least one spectrum (tm).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
"Take your time to make this right"
Let's see.
"Take your time" does it mean set random deadlines you are going to fail, after putting your developers through crunch time repeatedly? Does it mean you don't have to seriously explain why not only you missed the extended deadline estimation for release but three years later you are still in pre-alpha?

"make this right". Does this mean focus on detailed models and graphics and then consider performance, networking issues and gameplay loops? Does this mean work without a game design document? Does it mean make your first Gantt char that looks like spaghetti puke during your sixth year in development?

Cymelion, you and fools like you are the reason I hope this shitshow releases something and doesn't die out. I hope you stick with it to the end because it will be glorious to watch all you gollums trying to make sense of the turd that the final game is shaping up to be.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Honestly, it felt like that whole setting and sequence was such a throw-away. It has such neat visual potential, with reds and whites and grays. But the failed lemming rush kinda fell flat as narrative.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trucutru posted:

To the anime thread censor: I would like to remind you that the video of the 3 children with transformer costumes is also technically anime cosplay.
:wrong:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

TLJ's biggest problem is it failed to build on what the TFA started. There were no payoffs because the director went and did his own thing.
The director went and did his own thing because that's what they hired him to do. It's not his fault that TFA was written by the creator of Lost and so none of the supposed payoffs were planned or even thought-out in the slightest.

TLJ's greatest success was in the abandonment of all the TFA wall-spaghetti it inherited and throwing it in the bin as part of its manifesto against the wallowing retreads that are TFA and other Star Wars productions.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My biggest problem with Star Wars nerds is that there are now 13 movies (I include Clone Wars, The Battle for Endor, and Ewok adventure because gently caress you) and only 2 of them are anything special.

Why should I care about any of this?

The exception is people who told Carrie Fisher she was the first person they masturbated to. Because you KNOW they were the ones who lost their poo poo over the (awesome) battle granny in the Disney movies. And I enjoy laughing at horrible people.

Bringing this back to Star Citizen though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tINlNluuY

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

trucutru posted:

TLJ is a perfectly fine kids movie,

I took my son.

He doesn't like Star Wars any more.

edit:
Well, he doesn't talk about Star Wars any more. I guess that's not quite the same.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 23, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ghostlight posted:

The director went and did his own thing because that's what they hired him to do. It's not his fault that TFA was written by the creator of Lost and so none of the supposed payoffs were planned or even thought-out in the slightest.

TLJ's greatest success was in the abandonment of all the TFA wall-spaghetti it inherited and throwing it in the bin as part of its manifesto against the wallowing retreads that are TFA and other Star Wars productions.

I mean if you hate Star Wars sure

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Ghostlight posted:

Cynically, they only did that so Disney could have a glorious comeback to good-hearted adventures with IX.

e: and don't even get me started about prometheus!!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I see that star wars chat goes deep like food derails. Well I'm glad I got an answer to the SJW thing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Ben can derail food into his dumpster mouth.

I don't think that made sense.

I'm sorry.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

The NightmareCokeMachine Dude is awesome and deserves some support. His arguments are well constructed and written.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/999100111195164678

They're having real problems selling seats

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

TLJ's biggest problem is it failed to build on what the TFA started. There were no payoffs because the director went and did his own thing. You can't do that if you are trying to build a triology of movies that's supposed to flow and work together. If he was directing a one off movie like Rogue One fine. The sad part is there's only about 4 changes that needed to be made and the movie would have worked.

So in case you've not seen it:

1. Leia dies instead of going all Marry Poppins y'all. If that's how she had to go out given the circumstances in real life, so be it. Not glorious, but could have accepted it as war sucks and poo poo happens. The fact it was Kylo's wingmen that killed her could have been used later as motivation as to why he turns against Snoke/smoke/whatever.

2. Skip the whole save the nerfherders or whatever sequence. Del Toro's character was interesting as at this point there are people who have seen the fall of the Republic, Rise and Fall of the Empire, and the same with the New Republic & First Order...most average people are probably: "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" and don't care anymore. Which is why the Resistance/Rebels/whatever call for help and it goes unanswered...

3. Admiral purple hair takes Poe aside and tells him her plan to go to crait or crate or krait or whatever.

4. Finn dies ramming the laser gun and saves his friends. Character's arc completes: goes from guy who runs away to one who stands, fights, and dies for a cause.

5. The politics of TFA & TLJ make no sense. At least in the original trilogy there was some world building. Just the few lines where Tarkin tells his officers the senate has been disbanded and control handed over to governors made it feel more like there was an Empire with a massive bureaucracy behind it. I had no idea on what the gently caress had happened in the 30 years between in the story between the battle of endor and the start of TFA.

Not to say there aren't other issues with the movie. But a few minor changes would have made for a much better movie...
Good post.

Sadly, the reality of movies is that they will make money nonetheless, no need for good scripts/stories. Disney will drive this franchise into the ground while squeezing every last dollar out of kids/manchilds/hardcorefans

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheAgent posted:

actually most of the problems with TLJ reside squarely with rian johnson

I had high hopes for him, but he seemed to get lost in the budget

He got lost in "I'm going to subvert ALL the expectations!" resulting in him making a not-star-wars-movie on purpose which was extremely misguided at best.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

AutismVaccine posted:

The NightmareCokeMachine Dude is awesome and deserves some support. His arguments are well constructed and written.

Is NightmareCokeMachine the new account for Maht_Daymun?

NCM seems equally upset about Elite Dangerous or "Elite DesertBus" as he so wittily calls it.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Stop shilling for elite dangerous ! If you keep shilling i might realize that elite has all the things i wanted to play, but since lord roberts hasn't told me it's okay to like it i need to hate it ! :ohdear:

It's ... It's all you goonailures fault again :argh:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Peter.Quint posted:

Is NightmareCokeMachine the new account for Maht_Daymun?

NCM seems equally upset about Elite Dangerous or "Elite DesertBus" as he so wittily calls it.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I'm afraid I broke Frogbear...

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone said Pie Pie Ben yet?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beexoffel posted:

Cells interlinked

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

his nibs posted:

:lesnick: :golfclap: :lesnick:

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

his nibs posted:

Quiet, you fool! If you say the 'p-word' too loud, Ben himself will come busting through your wall like the Kool Aid Man!

...at least, he'll try to bust through your wall. If the drywall is up to code he'll just bounce off of it like a big bag of week-old pudding.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Beexoffel posted:

:tinfoil:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Frogbear why do you keep saying the needful

Needful Information

You aren't even close to baseline

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Have CIG sent out their GDPR emails yet?

Their most valuable asset, after all, is the list of free spending individuals with poor self control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah one of my close friends is a huge, huge Hux fan and loved TLJ, and when we discussed it she was quick to point out (paraphrasing) "Remember when we watched Fringe together and Abrams gonna Abrams?" and I was like right TFA was NEVER GOING to do anything with its supposed plot threads.

And then she linked me pictures of Hux's cat 375 times