Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh poo poo I forgot to mention how there's also a skill for how well you can wear armor next to the dodge skill

and how magic armor conveys an additional armor bonus and damage reduction rating that is counted separately

Splicer posted:

ask him about grappling
Please I need to know. Get him to diagram it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Subjunctive posted:

OK? Why don’t people want them to do that?

Warhammer is starship troopers without the self-awareness. Adapting that for kids almost seems irresponsible.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lurdiak posted:

Warhammer is starship troopers without the self-awareness. Adapting that for kids almost seems irresponsible.

You have to be clear about which Starship Troopers you're referring to - the Verhoeven movie (which is self-aware) or Heinlein's original text (in which martial governments - which are loosely democratic at best, since only those who serve in the military are granted suffrage and other rights ascribed to citizens - are seen as a Good Thing).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Really? Because the Warhammer 40k I grew up with was self aware to the point of parody with space marines who were so macho they shot testosterone out of their tear ducts, and were anti-mutant but spat poison. And the Warhammer Fantasy Battle I grew up with had as its iconic character a ratcatcher with a small but vicious dog, and orc football hooligans playing an explicit parody of American Football. Meanwhile the Starship Troopers I grew up with was written by someone who thought that only veterans having the vote was a good thing.

The film of Starship Troopers of course was a satire on the book - and I believe that in the early oughties even the orks stopped being tongue in cheek. But that's not the settings I grew up with.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Really? Because the Warhammer 40k I grew up with was self aware to the point of parody with space marines who were so macho they shot testosterone out of their tear ducts, and were anti-mutant but spat poison.

We're not in the 90s any more. 40k stopped being self-aware 10-15 years ago.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

Seriously, there may be bits of self awareness here and there depending on the writer but contemporary 40K is pretty well earnest in its unironic placement of space marines on a pedestal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, seriously.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kai Tave posted:

Seriously, there may be bits of self awareness here and there depending on the writer but contemporary 40K is pretty well earnest in its unironic placement of space marines on a pedestal.

What's doubly annoying about it is that you could at least theoretically do that and still depict the Imperium as evil, even if you weren't going back to full on satire. The space marines have always been independent groups with their own interpretation of the Imperial Creed, and have gotten into shooting wars with other organs of the Imperium for differences in doctrine/strategy towards problems. It really wouldn't take much to put them into a position of heroes for a lost ideal of the Imperium, in contrast with the reality rotting around them.

But of course, that gets a lot harder when you have the space marine forefathers coming in and taking over a big section of the Imperium and more or less going "well this sucks and isn't what we intended" but then so far mostly only changing things by bringing out superduper marines to blow more poo poo up. I mean, maybe they'll surprise us and we'll get Rowboat Girlyman's empire of not-lovely assholes as a separate faction from all the pro-fascist cruft, but at this point who knows.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Closer to 20 years at this point. 3rd edition really ramped up the grimdark and removed a lot of the tongue-in-cheek material. You still had the occasional oddball/silly reference (Orks at the time come to mind), but by and large it started to take itself far more seriously around 1998 and hasn't looked back since.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Desiden posted:

What's doubly annoying about it is that you could at least theoretically do that and still depict the Imperium as evil, even if you weren't going back to full on satire. The space marines have always been independent groups with their own interpretation of the Imperial Creed, and have gotten into shooting wars with other organs of the Imperium for differences in doctrine/strategy towards problems. It really wouldn't take much to put them into a position of heroes for a lost ideal of the Imperium, in contrast with the reality rotting around them.

But of course, that gets a lot harder when you have the space marine forefathers coming in and taking over a big section of the Imperium and more or less going "well this sucks and isn't what we intended" but then so far mostly only changing things by bringing out superduper marines to blow more poo poo up. I mean, maybe they'll surprise us and we'll get Rowboat Girlyman's empire of not-lovely assholes as a separate faction from all the pro-fascist cruft, but at this point who knows.

Until the citizens get a chance to vote Rowboat Guilestheme out of power and they strip all power from the church, they are still a facist theocracy so yeah they're all bad guys.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude, Flowers in the Attic is one of the most successful and popular YA books of all time.

You mention a book nobody younger than 35 has read as a teenager unless their mom obliviously pushed it on them before jumping to The Hunger Games or Divergent series?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Subjunctive posted:

You could say the same for Harry Potter.

"Thing X Is okay because popular thing did thing X." is perhaps the most facile argument one can bring to bear in this situation.

Harry Potter has a lot of dumb, embarrassing stuff that's easy to go on about, but that's not really a tangent I have too much interest in dredging up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t really follow GW. Why is a kids game bad? More kids’ games with high production values sounds great to me, as a buyer of kids’ games.

To be honest, I could point at all the white supremacists, misogynists, alt-righters, and (formerly crypto-)fascists who unironically love 40k's pro-fascist themes and flock to it like seagulls at a hotdog stand, but to be quite honest this new 40kids product line is pissing those assholes off so incredibly hard that I want this to succeed anyway.

This might be intensely stupid but it's getting a lot of very, very horrible people very, very angry and so I'm all for it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean people of color, half of whom are girls, as mainline characters for a Games Workshop product?

The salt is real, plentiful, and delicious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xarbala posted:

I mean people of color, half of whom are girls, as mainline characters for a Games Workshop product?

The salt is real, plentiful, and delicious.

Screenshots, please. I love collecting bigoted white cishet tears.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can you do that on other thread actually

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah s'all good

Covok posted:

ayy

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857559&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post484311448

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Are there any decent comparison pieces of the different virtual tabletop options? Like Roll20 vs Fantasy Grounds.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Also this, in comments.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/05/40k-warhammer-adventures-the-senseless-freakout.html

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Former Exalted Dev and ex-SA member Holden Shearer is getting internet famous for this Leftist tweet.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Xelkelvos posted:

Former Exalted Dev and ex-SA member Holden Shearer is getting internet famous for this Leftist tweet.

Friendly reminder that Holden is an rear end in a top hat who, amongst other things, completely defends and supports his friend and serial sexual harasser John Morke.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so is his workplace unionized or what

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neonchameleon posted:

Really? Because the Warhammer 40k I grew up with was self aware to the point of parody with space marines who were so macho they shot testosterone out of their tear ducts, and were anti-mutant but spat poison. And the Warhammer Fantasy Battle I grew up with had as its iconic character a ratcatcher with a small but vicious dog, and orc football hooligans playing an explicit parody of American Football. Meanwhile the Starship Troopers I grew up with was written by someone who thought that only veterans having the vote was a good thing.

The film of Starship Troopers of course was a satire on the book - and I believe that in the early oughties even the orks stopped being tongue in cheek. But that's not the settings I grew up with.
Thing was different when I was young, therefore people talking about thing now are wrong.

And then neonchameleon was the boomers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Yeah, we live on the darkest timeline and that's why it rules. It could get subversive or it may just be a bunch of unintentional subtext but either way it's really interesting as a piece of consumer art. I don't even really interact with the product beyond osmosis, so obviously not the best perspective, but generally anything that chips away at the self-serious exterior or provides a sort of distilled (even if, especially if earnest) ridiculousness to me is Really Funny and Good. Especially if this, as mentioned, spreads to the rest of the product as corporate-level decisions are made to change its direction a second time after it embraced the grimdark, to now become DC Cinematic Universe grimdark.

Certainly the Chicken Littling of some Warhammer fans is amazing to behold, it's true. I admit the franchise never got its claws into me outside of Necromunda, so for me I've always viewed it from the outside, knowing fans and playing or watching the occasional game, but never going in with both feet outside of my half-painted Ratskin force. It always seemed terribly silly to me and I've never really wavered on that. I'd like to try one of the RPGs sometime just to have some knowledge of it, but the systems have always felt like a lot of work for the reward I'd get out of it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I still think he should be beaten to death himself for the EX3 delay but hell when he's right he's right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't he the woke rapist who wrote Beast: The Woke Rapist Monster Game?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That was Matt McFarland, aka BlackHatMatt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: Sadly, this post is in Archives, but pop into TG to get the full story as I've forgotten a bit of it. The above post is also what got him banned here iirc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Best. RPGnet mod. Ever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ah, the fabled Berniebro, yes. :baddemsmug:

Edit: I have no idea what I was going for there.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 23, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
What are good systems to use for Zombie games? I've got the Fantasy Flight End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse game which looks neat for a one shot, and I've heard of Red Markets and Outbreak Undead. If I wanted to run a game taking place during or shortly after any outbreak, what system should I use? I don't mind crunch too much, I spend a lot of time playing D20 games, and I don't really like PbtA games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Epi Lepi posted:

What are good systems to use for Zombie games? I've got the Fantasy Flight End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse game which looks neat for a one shot, and I've heard of Red Markets and Outbreak Undead. If I wanted to run a game taking place during or shortly after any outbreak, what system should I use? I don't mind crunch too much, I spend a lot of time playing D20 games, and I don't really like PbtA games.
If crunch ye want All Flesh Must Be Eaten is showing its age a bit but still a solid choice if you can get a hold of a copy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Thing X Is okay because popular thing did thing X." is perhaps the most facile argument one can bring to bear in this situation.

You’re right, not my best work.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Epi Lepi posted:

There's always Dread if you're looking to play up the horror/tension aspects and expecting player elimination, but it's extremely rules-lite (unless you play with yard Jenga).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epi Lepi posted:

Red Markets is absolutely one of the best takes on the zombie genre (and late stage capitalism, and attritional warfare and resource management) and I cannot recommend it enough.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I was positively suprised by Shotgun Diaries and we had an enjoyable one-shot night of zombie dsystopia and grimness.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Epi Lepi posted:

In addition to what others have said, maybe some heavily reskinned version of Torchbearer would work?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

neonchameleon posted:

Really? Because the Warhammer 40k I grew up with was self aware to the point of parody with space marines who were so macho they shot testosterone out of their tear ducts, and were anti-mutant but spat poison. And the Warhammer Fantasy Battle I grew up with had as its iconic character a ratcatcher with a small but vicious dog, and orc football hooligans playing an explicit parody of American Football.

That's not been anything like Warhammer 40k for decades. I remember being a teenager and reading an article in white dwarf about how space marines made a noble sacrifice of their humanity to protect mankind's purity from aliens and mutants, even, and I've not been a teenager for a while now.

Also orcs are "soccer" hooligans; their influence is the 80s british football holigan scene which was rather... intense. Unless you mean blood bowl I guess.

I particularly love the one at the top complaining about people with DEGREES!!! Behold, BsCgeddon hath come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

He does have a point