Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

VideoGames posted:

I wish I was able to play FPS games with a controller. Every time I buy one on the PS4 I end up wishing I had it on PC. :(

I dont know the autoaim and acceleration and all that seems baked into pc versions of everything now that it feels the same. I could turn that all off and channel my teenage counterstrike self, but eh.

My pc is also hooked to my TV because I play everything from my big comfy couch on my big TV. I cant imagine hunching over a desk in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is The Lost Legacy good if I don't want to play Nathan Drake games?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

haveblue posted:

If the last two generation transitions are any guide, it's Sony's turn to get too full of themselves and ruin the PS5 in some heretofore unimagined way and Microsoft's turn to refocus on making a solid dedicated gaming platform and the pendulum will swing back again.

yeah it's like people forget last gen

i barely played my ps3 and went through like 3 360s because of rrod but i still kept buying them because there was more to play

ps3's still my go to blu ray player tho

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Microsoft is comfortable just having the Xbox be the multiplat console.

Most gamers don't care that much about exclusives so much as just simply having the game.

Also keep in mind, to most console gamers PC gaming, especially high end PC gaming, practically doesn't exist.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

haveblue posted:

If the last two generation transitions are any guide, it's Sony's turn to get too full of themselves and ruin the PS5 in some heretofore unimagined way and Microsoft's turn to refocus on making a solid dedicated gaming platform and the pendulum will swing back again.

That's true, I guess Xbox 1 was comparably barren. Though by the end of it's lifecycle ps3 had a handful of good exclusives. Xbone has... Genuinely don't know.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

haveblue posted:

If the last two generation transitions are any guide, it's Sony's turn to get too full of themselves and ruin the PS5 in some heretofore unimagined way

Their new president is too intelligent and knowledgeable to do it. He's so wise he's probably going to dump Sony Pictures back to the flames of hell where it mostly belongs before he retires.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shy posted:

Yes it is miles better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shy posted:

Yeah. You’ll miss the impact of certain callbacks and cameos but it’s still a good action platformer romp that doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

People are just too used to Nintendo murdering their consoles' online services once the new one comes out. Hell, the psp can still connect to psn and download crap. There's zero to worry about. Get PS4, play Bloodborne, and some other games too, I guess.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

That's true, I guess Xbox 1 was comparably barren. Though by the end of it's lifecycle ps3 had a handful of good exclusives. Xbone has... Genuinely don't know.

The Xbox was essentially the dumping ground for Sega's remaining Dreamcast games. Though to be fair casuals were uninterested.

It also had Halo which was the second biggest franchise of that generation.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

If ps5 is just a more powerful console that does nothing different it would just be great. They'll find a way to gently caress it up though. I'm personally worried about a kinect style VR push.

I sincerely hope they just make a pro2 hardware upgrade. Call it ps5 and declare it's full backwards compatable!!!!!!! Fully in on incremental advances if you can solve the marketing problem of numbered consoles and what's to old to play what. But I feel with cellphones the dumb public understands sometimes poo poo gets old and doesn't run new stuff, works on iOSx.x or higher is not confusing anymore.

If they did an incremental advance every 2 years I would upgrade, every other time probably.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

That would require some kind of presence in the Japanese market, and the XBOne's done even worse than the X360.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Xbox was essentially the dumping ground for Sega's remaining Dreamcast games. Though to be fair casuals were uninterested.

It also had Halo which was the second biggest franchise of that generation.

Their only real exclusives for the XBOne were Halo 5 and Gears of War 4, and Microsoft poo poo the bed on both counts apparently (I fully admit I've played neither due to not having an XBox One, just going by their reputation). Even the Master Collection of the older Halo games is unplayably buggy in multiplayer. You know, the thing that sold Halo games.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 23, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What do y'all think is gonna be the hubristic feature that brings down the ps5? The bone was that weird games as service always online crap, the ps3 was "599 us dollars"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I miss playing some games on PC because looking around is much better with a mouse but in combat I think I prefer the controller. More games could use a Quick Turn option but even PC games have those so it's not like the mouse is immune to those troubles. But yeah, pressing a joystick one way and continuously having my view/aim move in that direction is nicer than having to pick the mouse up and re-locate it to continue moving it in a certain direction.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

What do y'all think is gonna be the hubristic feature that brings down the ps5? The bone was that weird games as service always online crap, the ps3 was "599 us dollars"

Kinect full integration whole hog insanity but psvr. I know a lot like VR, but building it into the console at $$$ to consumer. My bet.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

That said I wonder if death standing will support vr? Kinda hope it doesn't. I just want that game to be weird af.

Not a chance, most PSVR games look like you're inside a PS2 game. If my PS4 tried to render that moss in VR it'd probably catch fire.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I think Sony knows their market and they are heavily invested in producing traditional video games.

I don't think VR is going away, and they might even offer a VR bundle with PS5, but I highly doubt it will be mandatory. PSVR is for early adopters/tech enthusiasts, but it hasn't dripped down to more mainstream because mobile VR is too niche.

Apple kind of ruined the VR market by not offering any support. It is a huge segment of potential users who are being ignored because face emojis.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rumor is Apple is working on their own VR stuff, which is probably why they aren't bothering to partner with or support anything that's out right now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PS5 might be cool. Maybe I'd get to have Elite Dangerous VR because drat Sony don't want no PS4 Pro exclusive features like that over base version users.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

If ps5 is just a more powerful console that does nothing different it would just be great. They'll find a way to gently caress it up though. I'm personally worried about a kinect style VR push.

I sincerely hope they just make a pro2 hardware upgrade. Call it ps5 and declare it's full backwards compatable!!!!!!! Fully in on incremental advances if you can solve the marketing problem of numbered consoles and what's to old to play what. But I feel with cellphones the dumb public understands sometimes poo poo gets old and doesn't run new stuff, works on iOSx.x or higher is not confusing anymore.

If they did an incremental advance every 2 years I would upgrade, every other time probably.

Incremental upgrades will likely be easier to do now because, as I said, more power under the hood locks out fewer and fewer types of games these days.

The issue will be how Sony will convince users with older PS4s to upgrade to a newer PS4 with fewer killer apps that grab the hardware by the horns. Similar to what's happened to PC gaming.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their only real exclusives for the XBOne were Halo 5 and Gears of War 4, and Microsoft poo poo the bed on both counts apparently (I fully admit I've played neither due to not having an XBox One, just going by their reputation). Even the Master Collection of the older Halo games is unplayably buggy in multiplayer. You know, the thing that sold Halo games.

It's unbelievable how far Halo has fallen in popularity from its glory days. I feel that only Street Fighter rivals it in terms of a series going from cultural phenomenon to run of the mill release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

Rumor is Apple is working on their own VR stuff, which is probably why they aren't bothering to partner with or support anything that's out right now.

No rumor about it at all, they are actively pushing people toward it with their metal graphics framework.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As someone that went from a SNES on 1996 to a Xbox 360 on late 2007, to a PS4 on 2016, I think Microsoft hosed up to not recover at all even on next generation. I went from thinking "I'd get a Xbone S for cheap for backwards compatibility as I own great games on my 360" to "I rather get a PS4 Pro and still keep my slim" because just with the exclusives, the PS4 has at least 3-4 years of life for me.

I loved the 360 even with all its faults but it had actual working games like Gears of War and Forza (Halo never did for me), the interface was decent and Xbox Live was good enough. I was for months deciding between the Xbone and PS4 and I'm glad that Bloodborne was the deciding factor because otherwise I'd just be sitting, not enjoying great games like BB, Yakuza, TLoU and, while not being a fanboy, Uncharted games.

I'm a weirdo that still likes Xbox One interface over PS4 better, and the gamepad over DS4 but I have to admit that the DS4 is a great controller (cept these drat small options/share buttons) and miles ahead over the DS3, which sometimes use in a friend's to play my digital copy of Demon's Souls (basically got it for sporadic play and give him the chance to play it).

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

loving hell I guess I'm finally gonna play a Yakuza

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's amazing how someone saying 'the ps4 is nearing the final phase of it's life cycle' - meaning it is begining to enter it's last act, a block of time which could last until 2-3 years from now, can be interpreted as 'The ps4 is at the end of it's life'

I've seen a few poeople on facebook saying they have decided to not buy one after all and are going to wait until the next one.
It's really surreal watching people respond that way to a statement which very clearly does not at all suggest what they are taking away from it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno about you guys but once I hear that a game franchise is switching developers I lose all interest. No more Bungie on Halo? I’m out! Epic isn’t doing the next Gears? It’s over!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cubicle gangster posted:

It's amazing how someone saying 'the ps4 is nearing the final phase of it's life cycle' - meaning it is begining to enter it's last act, a block of time which could last until 2-3 years from now, can be interpreted as 'The ps4 is at the end of it's life'

I've seen a few poeople on facebook saying they have decided to not buy one after all and are going to wait until the next one.
It's really surreal watching people respond that way to a statement which very clearly does not at all suggest what they are taking away from it.

If anything that just means now is the time to buy one, because the price on the console'll actually start dropping if it's true.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

Digital Download only for all games would kill it. But nobody is that stupid, right....right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nopantsjack posted:

The PS3 had more than that:

-Bizarro architecture that took devs a long time to become comfortable with
-Weird unnecessary promises that didn't pan out like an SD card reader or dual HDMI outputs
-Lack of controller rumble, which they hilariously tried to pass off as "incompatibility with motion sensing" and not microsoft lawsuit jiu jitsu
-Ill will from their suspect promotional material, especially the Killzone 2 trailer
-And yeah five hundred and ninety nine us dollars

The Xbox One was sunk by:

-Online game DRM
-Focusing on TV services no one cared about, to the exclusion of games
-Making Kinect mandatory when not only did the tech have a bad reputation but awareness and fear of pervasive surveillance was rising
-A significant horsepower deficit compared to the PS4

The PS5 could screw up by:
-Going all-digital before the market is ready
-Hitching their wagon to some weird nonstandard tech thing (Sony has a pretty bad track record here)
-Making their plan for a phone-style upgrade treadmill a little too obvious

As for Apple, they never show their hand early, but their last VR demo was an embarrassment so a real product is probably a ways off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If Sony went digital purchase only I would never play a Quantic Dream game because those are perfect for renting, making fun of, and then never interacting with again (looking forward to Detroit this weekend, I need a good laugh)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If anything, I'd say we're about halfway or 2/3rds into the PS4's lifespan. Even if you revealed the PS5 tomorrow and declared the PS4 outdated, you'd still be looking a solid two years of PS4 titles (not counting multi-platform releases) because games don't just spring into existence six months before release.

I still think there's another 4 years of PS4 left at the shortest. At most, my hopes go to six years. And that's just me making guesses on PS5/PSNeo/PSUltra Instinct/PSRetribution with no gaming development knowledge beyond who makes what games. And that's shoddy too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Blessed. Experience Kamurocho, even if it seems like you should be urgently doing something.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

They're making a full game out of that cool robot platformer demo from the PSVR Playroom thing.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/05/23/astro-bot-rescue-mission-from-the-team-behind-the-playroom-is-coming-soon-to-ps-vr/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shy posted:

Yes, the reason why Nadine doesn't like the Drakes is she was battling against them in Uncharted 4 and- as protagonists- they gunmurderpunched their way through like 85% of the people in her PMC. So now you get the context of why they talk about them in the optional convos.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You're really gonna start playing a dad game now?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really can't can't stand the idea of all digital only cause I'm an old dinosaur + I like filling up a shelf with games + I hate HD management so give me a 4tb drive

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno where people are getting the idea that Sony'll go full digital when they tried it before with PSP GO and it was one of the biggest PlayStation failures they've ever had.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When sony hosed up from 07-09 they fixed their poo poo and pumped out amazing games from 10-13 and after an early gen dry spell from 16-present.

Xbox basically gave up making and paying for interesting games in 10-11. Their studio talent situation is incredibly dire. Their market cap outside NA is vanishingly small.

As long as future playstations debut at 399 xbox will never realistically be able to compete

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Policenaut posted:

I dunno where people are getting the idea that Sony'll go full digital when they tried it before with PSP GO and it was one of the biggest PlayStation failures they've ever had.

Also remember when Microsoft tried it and got booed to loving hell and back, were so badly dragged that they backpedaled 4 months before release and had their engineers pulling 80 hour workweeks to fix it? And it permanently depressed their console sales?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

PSP GO was a decade ago.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

You're really gonna start playing a dad game now?

Kiryu is the best dad in gaming besides maybe Sojiro from Persona 5

EDIT: This is the Nazi number page, appropriate for the Battlefield V reveal today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've been talking with my girlfriend and I think we're ready for a second console (I'm hoping it's a Switch!). Things have been going great with our ps4 (just turned 4).