Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

hailthefish posted:

Clearly the plan is to form a floating causeway of wrecked planes between the islands of the Pacific so that the valiant Imperial Japanese Army can march across and hit the dastardly Americans where it hurts.

See what can be accomplished when the services work together?

I think it's more likely that this is a feint by Grey to give the OSI plausible reason for his aircraft to be withdrawn, that way the Allied forces aren't expecting them to hit the true heart of US force concentration: the ocean floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

And here we go.

It's a costly strike, but we get the hits in – the Hornet II's flight deck should be impaired now, and the Bataan is crippled.

I wait through bomber after bomber raid for their return strike, and when it comes it's so small I nearly miss it.

Come the afternoon, there is no CAP. I think I've done it again!

Here their preferred target is an armoured cruiser!

The massed AA guns of the battleships can hurt me plenty though!

So confident are my men that they go after the troopships.

I... I did it again?
61 destroyed on field means I sunk another fleet carrier, and a light carrier. Without loss. In 1944.
I think I'm in one of those sci fi programs where I'm hooked up to a matrix a little to good.

I'm gobsmacked. Still only one net kill though!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have no idea what this ship is doing here, nor why it is dead in the water – but my Bettys actually did something!

Okay, those battleships are uncomfortably close to my carriers....

30-1 odds and only one kill....

Sink drat you!

I really can't knock them for going after the softer target.

Dammit.

Phew, one hex difference and I could have lost the entire Kido Butai to battleships!

I'm more confident about the Bataan this time, but still, we've sunk her two days in a row!
A good day sees us at 71 ships sunk. I have eight days left in the month, so need 3.6 ships sunk a day to reach my target!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I... wut? How?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
The Hornet was sunk then?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Maybe they're just planning to send wave after wave of carriers to bait out your carrier fleet, such that it's much easier for them to thin out your frame and pilot pool with their superior flak? Like you sunk two carriers vs none and you still came out negative in the plane trade :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, so many carriers dead in the water.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Why is everything always so beautiful

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to claim Hornet II as my lucky ship after Dorktown 2 went down because all my Carriers have sunk.

I didn't even need to do it! It still sunk!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Holy poo poo

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
A reverse Milne Bay by the Allies would be incredible, and probably irrevocably alter post-war naval doctrine for a quarter century

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What the hell did Hornet II even sink from? An Essex is a far tougher target than an Independence-class, and that listed combat only had it eating 3 bombs. As compared to Bataan taking far more than that and surviving until the next day.

Was there an internal explosion listed that was skipped in the screencaps? Or did the CV potentially just dump all the wrecked planes over the side, because the "Points for Sunk Ships" score tracker doesn't really seem to have moved.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
How are the KB carriers doing on sorties (and planes for that matter)?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:f5:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Saint Celestine posted:

The Hornet was sunk then?

That's the only explanation, barring some other action that wasn't shown or one of those random 0.01% events that sunk it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Everyone say it with me: President Dewey.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I can't remember any explosions reported, but it might be a lucky hit. The flight wings are at least gone.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

What the hell did Hornet II even sink from? An Essex is a far tougher target than an Independence-class, and that listed combat only had it eating 3 bombs. As compared to Bataan taking far more than that and surviving until the next day.

Was there an internal explosion listed that was skipped in the screencaps? Or did the CV potentially just dump all the wrecked planes over the side, because the "Points for Sunk Ships" score tracker doesn't really seem to have moved.

Obvious answer: pilots conflated the bataan and the Bunker Hill. So all those hits on the Bataan? Actually the Bunker Hill. Which is why the Bataan was still afloat today.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

There’s not a set number of hits that will kill a ship, the damage shown to Hornet II could certainly have taken her down even without anything super unlikely happening. Damage is super variable in this game and all hits are not created equal.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bold Robot posted:

There’s not a set number of hits that will kill a ship, the damage shown to Hornet II could certainly have taken her down even without anything super unlikely happening. Damage is super variable in this game and all hits are not created equal.

I'm going to pretend there's a Phoenix Commander style damage report system.
Deck damage: 10 hp
Damage to AA gun: 10 hp
Fuel oil storage hit: 500000 hp
Boiler room hit: 500000 hp
Catapult damaged: 500 hp

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
In "realism" terms what that would probably be is at least one of those bombs hit the fueling lines and spread a fire near the ammunition stores and the captain ordered the ship abandoned. That happened a few times if I recall, where the carrier was burned out to the point that although it was buoyant it was just a floating hulk and scuttled.

Is that a stat for captains? How likely they are to abandon ship in the face of critical damage?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure you could teach a dog to use carriers better than the AI.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that 18 betties only managed 1 hit on a stationary target.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Saint Celestine posted:

I just noticed that 18 betties only managed 1 hit on a stationary target.

Aircraft dont bomb the water above a sunken ship. Its entirely possible the ship was hit by the first plane and that was the end of combat

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
...how in the f---

MESSAGE BEGINS

PACCOM TO ALL US CARRIER CAPTAINS

WHERE IS, REPEAT, WHERE IS YOUR CLOSE RANGE CAP THE WORLD WONDERS

MESSAGE ENDS

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

It would have been cool if the Musashi was still around. Take out the carriers and send in the surface suicide charge. A true battle worthy of dethroning Jutland.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I can't help but feel that the Japanese success in this war will just lead to a far less favourable post-war situation.

Adding 1000's more casualties on top of Pearl Harbour will just lead to a more humiliated and vengeful USA. On top of that Macarthur is probably sacked or dead, good for the American war effort, bad for Japan.

I fear that Japan might be raised to the ground?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Sad King Billy posted:

I can't help but feel that the Japanese success in this war will just lead to a far less favourable post-war situation.

Adding 1000's more casualties on top of Pearl Harbour will just lead to a more humiliated and vengeful USA. On top of that Macarthur is probably sacked or dead, good for the American war effort, bad for Japan.

I fear that Japan might be raised to the ground?

Check the points, soon the American fools will tire of war and they will have to settle with the gains made by the Prosperity Sphere :smuggo:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I ain't convinced those ships have sunk.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Ya, I don't really have a sense for the mentality the would have existed, but I could easily see the early rise of a Vietnam type popular resistance in the USA. Has the US had ANY major territorial gains yet? Their fleets appear superior to ours, I imagine force strengths are kept secret, so does the general populace even know that the Japanese fleet ISN'T also numerically superior? Does the common voter understand how much US industrial capacity can be diverted to the war effort? China isn't a close ally of the US and has been losing its war against Japan for a long time now. Give Japan the east indies and sign a white peace. If we take grey's war in the east play as happening concurrently, the allies have bigger problems to deal with given that Germany is rolling Russia.

acidia fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 23, 2018

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The points gains aren't big enough for either the Hornet II or the Bataan.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Clearly we just have to keep on trying, then.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

I'm going to pretend there's a Phoenix Commander style damage report system.
Deck damage: 10 hp
Damage to AA gun: 10 hp
Fuel oil storage hit: 500000 hp
Boiler room hit: 500000 hp
Catapult damaged: 500 hp

It does track damage to and functionality of some individual components like various guns and systems, but yeah it's not Phoenix command level insanity.

ankle bone shrapnel, 5HP
<roll dice 50 times for similar damage checks>
Cerebral Cortex penetration, 50,000,000 HP

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

pthighs posted:

It does track damage to and functionality of some individual components like various guns and systems, but yeah it's not Phoenix command level insanity.

ankle bone shrapnel, 5HP
<roll dice 50 times for similar damage checks>
Cerebral Cortex penetration, 50,000,000 HP

A ship will sink when eighter flood or fire damage reach 100. Hornet II ate 3x500kg bombs and was seen with heavy fires. Fire will spread unless contained, so a few bad damage control rolls can sink an allied ship from fire too, it's just more of a rare thing for them than the near guaranteed thing for Japanese ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what probably happened is that the Hornet lost flight deck capability, but so did the Bataan, and they all ditched their planes because there's nothing else to land on