Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

where did the image of the upgrades dolores gave to teddy come from? did she just change his attributes or did she combine him piccolo style with another host or mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lycus posted:

Are we approaching the point where the thread becomes mostly "I'm done with this show" and anti-"I'm done with this show" posts?

Just like the show, this season's hostility is more tepid than last years :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ptkfvk posted:

where did the image of the upgrades dolores gave to teddy come from? did she just change his attributes or did she combine him piccolo style with another host or mind?

Seems like the later, if she was just changing his attributes it would be just messing with those sliders, as we've seem before

As for where did she got the file(s), I have no idea

edit: thinking about it, I wonder why changing the sliders werent enough in Teddys case, since Bernard managed to completely change that bad guy character to the oposite doing that

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Becoming extremely lovely after the Storm Of Swords section and shockingly even worse after you get out of the bits of A Feast For Crows is just staying true to the books though.

The last 2 seasons of GOT are better than the books?

Who read all the Dany chapters in ADWD?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Westworld has yet to have a line of dialogue as awful as the bad pussy line, so it still has a long way to fall to hit the lows that GoT has managed to achieve.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

whatever7 posted:

*raises hand*

Truly GRRM is the greatest troll of all time, he got so many of us to read that last Danny chapter

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

whatever7 posted:

I'm not sure if we're agreeing or not but if I wasn't clear: AFFC is 90% terrible, ADWD is 99% terrible. The show polished the turds and is definitely better than the books (mostly because what GRRM needs is a real editor and the show has no choice but to trim the fat), but that's not to say that the show has been any good since like the Hound/Brienne fight. The seasons beyond ADWD have been very bad too but I have absolute faith that the soul behind how bad they are is GRRM and the showrunners respect for whatever lovely little outline he gave them on where the story was going.

Edit: I do respect the hustle evident in the man though. He managed to make millions off of a book series he quit putting any effort into almost 20 years ago. He literally has not published a complete chapter in ASOIAF since 2000. You can't even combine AFFC and ADWD which are supposedly 2 halves of one story, he removed the actual climax of ADWD to save for the next book....which will never actually come out.

AFFC seriously ends with an authors note saying "lol sorry half of this book is missing but I'm working on it".

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 23, 2018

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016

spudsbuckley posted:

This show is firmly into "skip through in 5 minute chunks" for me.

It's plodding and sort of boring and I don't really care about any of the characters any more. Looks nice, I suppose.

You are one of those who always falls asleep while watching OG Bladerunner yeah?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah but that "Enhance. Stop. Pull Right. Stop." scene is pure narcotics.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Westworld has yet to have a line of dialogue as awful as the bad pussy line, so it still has a long way to fall to hit the lows that GoT has managed to achieve.

that's the best line in GoT

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The show is a downgrade from last season but I’m fairly certain most of the issues with the meandering wouldn’t be present if we were binging the whole season. In season 1 I felt the same about episodes 3-6, that they were okay but sort of aimless and meandering. Then the final few episodes blew me away

I mean it’s still possible that the season will end with a wet fart but I trust the show runners to not have let it get that bad. At the very least I’m still having fun watching these new episodes and they’re still visually and technically impressive. If you loved season 1 I’ve yet to see anything bad enough that you should quit watching this season.

(That said, Dolores’s plot needs to get interesting soon)

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
WW season 2 is very much in Lost territory for me now: the underlying mysteries may not get a satisfying resolution and the premise doesn’t stand up to a moment’s thought but it’s great fun to watch and the characters are engaging (with the current exception of Dolores).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In defends of GOT, the show has way more characters I can hold on it than WW. In fact different people have different favorite characters is the best aspect of GOT.

Bronn getting his castle is the reason I keep coming back to torrent GOT.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 23, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IMO the only plot line spinning its wheels is Delores/Teddy, but they’re still clearly working toward something, even if it isn’t always interesting. :shrug:

It’s not season 1 quality, but :laffo: if you seriously think season 2 is a huge downgrade.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Season 2 does feel like a downgrade but there's no way around it when you're losing Hopkins and don't have a throughline as strong as Dolores' journey from S1. Last two eps have been very good though and the march towards whatever two-weeks-later Bernard is up to is getting better everytime they visit it.

I haven't re-watched it but my memory of S1 is that I didn't realize how much I didn't realize until late in the season (i.e. I thought it was going one way and then it went another), whereas in this season I feel like I'm watching Lost again. Confusing things keep happening, and I know it doesn't make sense, and I know it won't make sense until the end of the season.

It's just poorly paced compared to last season. Still enjoyable, though.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

WW season 2 is very much in Lost territory for me now: the underlying mysteries may not get a satisfying resolution and the premise doesn’t stand up to a moment’s thought but it’s great fun to watch and the characters are engaging (with the current exception of Dolores).

I agree that WW is pushing it a bit now, but there's clearly a difference in how WW is definitely building up to something and has been planned from the start, while Lost was blatantly being made up as it went along season-by-season.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Boing posted:

I agree that WW is pushing it a bit now, but there's clearly a difference in how WW is definitely building up to something and has been planned from the start, while Lost was blatantly being made up as it went along season-by-season.

If Westworld had been carefully planned from the start, they wouldn't have needed to do that big production shutdown in season 1.The rest of S1 simply isn't as elegant like the beginning of the season, especially the pilot. Lost wasn't made up as it went along, a lot of the stuff revealed through the life of the show had been thought up since the beginning, but you can't simply "plan" 20+ eps of plotting like that, especially back then.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Last season was incredibly slow and was mostly just world building for 6 episodes until they started doing reveals and throwing twists at people. This season is way faster paced so far, I don't get the "It's incredibly slow" complaints :shrug:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
My issue with season 2 so far is they want that big end of season clusterfuck to get people hyped for season 3 but dont have enough for all the plotlines to do until then, they would almost be better not showing delores but showing the aftermath of her presence in various places.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, season 1 felt meandery and convoluted at times too, but I all came together at the end. Upon rewatch, season 1 feels insanely tight and it’s so obvious how things are being set up.

I’m hoping this season will be the same way and start falling into place around episode 7 or 8.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zasze posted:

My issue with season 2 so far is they want that big end of season clusterfuck to get people hyped for season 3 but dont have enough for all the plotlines to do until then, they would almost be better not showing delores but showing the aftermath of her presence in various places.

S1 had the same problem, but Hannibal made corporate power struggle very fun to watch.

Also, the fact that most of characters can be revealed as host create tension.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Yannick_B posted:

Lost wasn't made up as it went along, a lot of the stuff revealed through the life of the show had been thought up since the beginning, but you can't simply "plan" 20+ eps of plotting like that, especially back then.

Most of Lost was made up as they went along. ABC picked up the show because they wanted a dramatic version of Survivor.

Damon Lindelof told a lot of hilarious stories:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lost/lost-writer-gives-detailed-account-of-show-idUSTRE78O2JM20110925

"[...] Abrams liked the idea, and also had another: “‘There should be a hatch on this island! They spend the entire season trying to get it open. And there should be these other people on the island,’” Lindelof recalled Abrams saying. “And I’m like, ‘’We can call them The Others.’ And he’s like, ‘They should hear this noise out there in the jungle.’ And I’m like, ‘What’s the noise?’ And he’s like, ‘I don’t...know. They’re never going to pick this thing up anyway.’”

or on how the show just responded to what fans wanted to see in later seasons:

“The show had to become sort of an exercise in, ‘Here’s what it’s going to be, guys: We’re going to come out and we’re going to play our set, and once the set is over you guys can shout out what songs you want to hear and we’ll do those for the encore.’ And that was the way that we modulated it, and maybe it worked and maybe it didn’t."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
From the promo pictures, it looks like next episode will have all the storylines.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://twitter.com/wenzlerpowers/status/999087190574616581?s=21

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So how was melee combat supposed to work in Shogun World before the hosts started waking up? Back when Delos still had control over the park?

I get the idea of pistols firing blanks or plastic bullets etc, but how do you prevent a host who's slashing at you with a forged katana blade from hurting guests?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The hosts have to play-fight with you anyway, because 99.9% of the guests have no idea how to use a sword.

It's more like an interactive story than a regular video game.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 23, 2018

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The guns couldn't have been blanks or wax bullets. The answer to both is magic.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

So how was melee combat supposed to work in Shogun World before the hosts started waking up? Back when Delos still had control over the park?

I get the idea of pistols firing blanks or plastic bullets etc, but how do you prevent a host who's slashing at you with a forged katana blade from hurting guests?

This has been discussed at length in the last few pages.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Delos is hiring.

https://www.deloscareers.com

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It works by not being explained at all and letting nerds either get mad about it or explain it away for them

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Like ork weapons, they only work if you believe that they work

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd be hella down for WAAAAGHHHworld

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why can't the swords just cut you? Shogun World is supposedly a more intense experience, whatever that means, and the show's set in a world where flesh wounds can be near-instantly healed by a small portable device. All you'd have to do is program the hosts to not aim for the neck and leave space in the narratives for guests to "wake up some time later in a good samaritan's house"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

40k world would be fuckin incredible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JaySB posted:

This has been discussed at length in the last few pages.

Ah, I figured the last few pages were just complaints about the Delores story arc and comparing the show to Lost while pining for the days of Season 1.

I guess I was wrong! I'll go back and check out the swords discussion that I missed.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I want an I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream world

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seems like the later, if she was just changing his attributes it would be just messing with those sliders, as we've seem before

As for where did she got the file(s), I have no idea

edit: thinking about it, I wonder why changing the sliders werent enough in Teddys case, since Bernard managed to completely change that bad guy character to the oposite doing that

my theory is that she used a copy of MIB and put it on top of teddy. she wants something terrible, not a white knight.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

She turned him into a sexbot

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

She turned him into a sexbot

QuoProQuid posted:

excited to see evil, glitchy Teddy

still loyal like a dog though

e: and dolores robbed him of his imagination

I dunno what kinda thing you're into, but personally, I'm not confident about New Ted's performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sensuality: 0