Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

groogy is buddhism being changed to not be extremely boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
No, because buddhism is extremely boring in a war game :colbert:

/s (I know Buddhists loved as much war as everyone else historically but essentially you gotta play off stereotypes because that's what our player base expects, just like people saying on our forum right now that Indian military sucked compared to European one in the 1600....)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The big change to Ming I’d like to see is having the force tributary wargoal disallow taking land. Ming always takes a bunch of land from their target’s allies and then goes crazy from there.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also new dev diary

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-22nd-of-may-2018.1099841/

Estates are now free, cool new estates for India and to say "sorry for making estates free" we are adding Breakaway Cossack government type with it's own mechanics for Cossack owners.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
In my current Ardabil -> Persia game, I managed to watch a Mingsplosion happen without my involvement in any capacity! I'm not sure if this makes my current game a unicorn or something but it's definitely the first time I've seen it happen since the Mandate patch.

That patchwork of warring states, though... so beautiful..

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't really have a problem with ming, but getting through their bubble of tributaries to actually start tanking their mandate by touching them can be hard. also tributaries don't want to shake be tributaries. even when ming is at 0 mandate and getting whipped tributary liberty desire is like 7%

maybe have mandate affected by relative strength to rivals and ming's revanchism be a factor for tributaries or something.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The Ming demands aren't big enough to make it worth the effort of breaking free, but historically they got pretty outrageous which was a large part of the whole collapse thing. There might be some place to generate unrest events with the rebel faction wanting to break free of Ming, and some sort of increased pressure across all tributaries. When they see Ming busy in a war or tied up on the other side of the country was when tributaries would start trying to break free.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tahirovic posted:

- natives in the Americas

Where should they be then? :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This is accessory to the main complaints to the system, but I do wish that when ming collapsed, a new emperor took control of all of china more consistently. Mandate collapses shouldn't be permanent dissolutions, but changes of power after a moment of chaos.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 22, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think all the events that can give you a consort checks for gender. It's extremely progressive for the time. :v:

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

An issue I've seen with Ming and tributaries is them declaring a tribute war, and then once the truce wears off, they disband said tributary due to low trust (starting at 0 from the war, and at best getting up to 15 by the time the truce is up) and then immediately declaring another tribute war. This leads to a never ending cycle of the tributary not being allowed to stay as such, even if they wanted.

Also that Ming doesn't have a truce with disbanded tributaries is goofy, as I learned recently with a Uzbek game. Didn't give tribute, they broke the status and immediately attacked me.

I'll see if I have a picture at home, but I've seen "the 10th ming war for tribute" or whatever happen far more often than I feel it should.

Maybe this is all intentional, but man does it feel odd. I guess the no truce thing kinda is there for balance but still.

Edit: I assume it's low trust that is causing them to break tributaries, as I haven't noticed anything else that would do it. Ive had -200 relations but high trust due to events and they didn't seem to mind!

Lagnar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 22, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is accessory to the main complaints to the system, but I do wish that when ming collapsed, a new emperor took control of all of china more consistently. Mandate collapses shouldn't be permanent dissolutions, but changes of power after a moment of chaos.

This has always been a problem way back before Mandate of Heaven though. When early-game Mingsplosion was super common in the last few versions before MoH, you tended to get a slow process of blabbing up into two or three major successor kingdoms which established a balance of power and couldn’t reunite China. That’s not necessarily a ridiculous or ahistorical concept — it didn’t exactly happen that way in the precise case of the fall of the Ming, but it had happened to China in prior interdynastic periods. The actual Qing conquests were very protracted and while you can make a case that once they lost Beijing the Ming government had lost all chance of restoring its authority, it still took decades for the Qing to root Ming pretenders out of southern China and even after that it took another decade to subdue the south. It was a prolonged period of violent consolidation of power and not as simple as a handoff of the throne. But even with the CB specifically for the purpose of reuniting China, the AI is just not great at conquering large swathes of high-dev territory.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

This has always been a problem way back before Mandate of Heaven though. When early-game Mingsplosion was super common in the last few versions before MoH, you tended to get a slow process of blabbing up into two or three major successor kingdoms which established a balance of power and couldn’t reunite China. That’s not necessarily a ridiculous or ahistorical concept — it didn’t exactly happen that way in the precise case of the fall of the Ming, but it had happened to China in prior interdynastic periods. The actual Qing conquests were very protracted and while you can make a case that once they lost Beijing the Ming government had lost all chance of restoring its authority, it still took decades for the Qing to root Ming pretenders out of southern China and even after that it took another decade to subdue the south. It was a prolonged period of violent consolidation of power and not as simple as a handoff of the throne. But even with the CB specifically for the purpose of reuniting China, the AI is just not great at conquering large swathes of high-dev territory.

Even for players, though, the process of cleaning up china after assuming the mandate takes a lot longer than a few decades. The Unify China CB should be like 25% AE and WS or something.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Honestly, that kind of just circles around to the other major problem in the area: (Non-Player) Qing never happens. In fact, no major AI power ever seems to emerge in the area.

No threats, no problems for Ming until late-game, if even then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Manchu almost never happens.

Even for players, though, the process of cleaning up china after assuming the mandate takes a lot longer than a few decades. The Unify China CB should be like 25% AE and WS or something.
And probably OE too. Oh and the AI should probably not tributary land they need to unify China and of course not be allowed to take land when doing tributary wars.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s been a couple of patches since I played Manchus, but I’m pretty sure it didn’t take me THAT long to take all of Ming’s territory, and the CB as I remember it does reduce costs, though maybe not that far. The silliest thing i remember is that you have to absolutely beat the pants off of Ming multiple times before you can seize the mandate, or else you’ll have no tributaries no mandate gain and will immediately crater.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Groogy can we talk about Ming tributaries? What's the deal man?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

bees everywhere posted:

Groogy can we talk about Ming tributaries? What's the deal man?

Do you want a beer or not? Then you'll listen to me as I complain how this forum is still stuck on Ming after I just said Estates are becoming free during the Pdx Tuesday beer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

Do you want a beer or not? Then you'll listen to me as I complain how this forum is still stuck on Ming after I just said Estates are becoming free during the Pdx Tuesday beer.
We all already have Estates. :v:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Groogy posted:

Also new dev diary

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-22nd-of-may-2018.1099841/

Estates are now free, cool new estates for India and to say "sorry for making estates free" we are adding Breakaway Cossack government type with it's own mechanics for Cossack owners.
There is a lot of cool poo poo here, and I am very happy to see the Jains make an appearance. Also, makings estates free is cool and good, and you should do that with more features from old dlc.

I hope this post is adequate to satisfy you during our post-pdxcon beers.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I hope this post is adequate to satisfy you during our post-pdxcon beers.

It will suffice

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Good, now we can talk about Ming some more. :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i care more about the mysticism/legalism bonii flip than i do about ming

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Groogy posted:

I want beer!

I like Ming. I like having the big scary monster that is there as a barrier you have to figure out how to navigate around or break down. Also, the last Dev clash proved that Ming isn't that scary, they got their asses handed to them in every war they were in, even against Japan where they had a 2:1 troop advantage.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Groogy posted:

i mean, Im certainly excited to get my zaporozhe cossacks going (yeah i know it's spelled wrong)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

deathbagel posted:

I want beer!

I like Ming. I like having the big scary monster that is there as a barrier you have to figure out how to navigate around or break down. Also, the last Dev clash proved that Ming isn't that scary, they got their asses handed to them in every war they were in, even against Japan where they had a 2:1 troop advantage.

I like how every time they checked back either Kwing or Japan had gotten wiped and the tide had totally shifted.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Groogy posted:

Also new dev diary

I literally just bought the Cossacks last weekend. :negative:

On that note, is there a good resource on how to play hordes?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

MinistryofLard posted:

Always be at war, burn all but the very best provinces to the ground. Lure enemies into flat terrain, the AI does it's best to avoid letting you attack them in the mountains, which means it's really easy to lure them into flat terrain battles.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

burn everything except gold

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

MinistryofLard posted:

Get a gold mine ASAP, dev push it for renaissance, and use that money to conquer everything

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MinistryofLard posted:

Hordes are bad in that the more you conquer the more you need to conquer etc or you explode.

So once you lose one war and run out of manpower (because more of the hordes start with low dev/are-killing-dev-anyway and little income) you have to much downtime and explode, somewhat permanently.

Hordes are a brief "BURN THE WORLD!" rush to stop being a horde.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i never feel the manpower crunch as bad as when i'm playing a horde. definitely makes me break out every mp-saving trick i know.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Hordes are bad in that the more you conquer the more you need to conquer etc or you explode.

So once you lose one war and run out of manpower (because more of the hordes start with low dev/are-killing-dev-anyway and little income) you have to much downtime and explode, somewhat permanently.

Yeah this is completely wrong other than needing to be at war constantly, but thats the best way to play the game anyway.

Manpower is not an issue because mercs exist, and since you get infinite mil points from burning you can buy a ton of generals for professionalism and use that on more manpower.

Also, reforming is a trap because razing provinces is the strongest gov ability in the game, and the weaknesses hordes originally had to balance them (tech mainly) have been patched out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How do you not end up miles behind on admin as a horde? I've been playing Great/Golden Horde lately and find that the constant conquering means constant coring which means no admin for tech (yes I'm burning everything as I go and set admin focus on day 1) which means unbalanced research which means corruption which combined with poor land and gently caress all admin to spend on states means I'm always broke which aghghgjgj

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

How do you not end up miles behind on admin as a horde? I've been playing Great/Golden Horde lately and find that the constant conquering means constant coring which means no admin for tech (yes I'm burning everything as I go and set admin focus on day 1) which means unbalanced research which means corruption which combined with poor land and gently caress all admin to spend on states means I'm always broke which aghghgjgj

Make vassals. I usually have 2-3 feeder vassals that I feed and then absorb later to split the Adm costs with Diplo.

For example, in my Kazan game I immediately attacked Uzbek for their tasty gold province, forced them to release Sibir and then attacked and vassalized Sibir and fed them back their cores while eating Nogai and Uzbek. Then when I jumped on Muscovy, I forced them to release Perm and fed them a bunch of Russia.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 23, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Do you have Admin ideas and the Golden Horde CCR idea?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

hahahah hordes are the best government in the game and the ability for tribals to become hordes next patch has got me doing backflips

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The amount of fun and success you can have with a horde is directly derived from how balls-out you play. If you try and run them like any other kind of government it won’t work for much longer than it takes to in fact become some other kind of government.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How many estates will Indian Muslims have? Will they still get Dhimmi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No Brahmin replace Dhimmi for them but they in total get 5 estates.