Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

The way planets work right now is just boring, tbh. Build the buildings that the tiles tell you to and then don’t look at the planet again for the rest of the game.

Also: go through all your planets ever time you get a new building to upgrade them all.
I'm looking forward to the tile replacement that wiz teased, gonna be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the game would work fine with a SotS Plus model - every planet just provides a set ratio of resources per pop. You also get an EU style option to build things like planetary shields or mutually exclusive choices of administrative bonuses.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Groogy posted:

There were more adjacency bonuses at launch but people didn't like them from what I can recall?

Some Tomb World blockers had adjacency bonuses at launch, and blockers from primitives if you chose that option when colonizing a primitive planet. That last one might have actually been pre-sentients, I don't remember. They were very powerful, and better than actually having a pop working the tile unless they only had one non-blocked adjacent tile. I remember primitives especially giving insane amounts of society research, making planets with them incredibly valuable.

Demiurge4 posted:

I think the reason was that they were too strong. Mines would boost adjacent mines and so players would ignore tiles and just put mines on every tile.

I think you're thinking of mineral silos. IIRC they used to give +1 mineral adjacency at level 1 and 2, and +2 at level 3. So you made a checkerboard patter of mines and silos, with the central silos giving +8 base minerals total, and still +4 in the corners. Silos had zero maintenance so this was extremely efficient, even without taking into account increasing the mineral cap. Then they were reduced to +1 at all levels and made planet unique, I think, before finally being changed into a starbase building in 2.0.

I think the capital buildings and silos are the only buildings that have ever had adjacency bonuses, though I've heard there were a bunch in development.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Actually building a bunch of buildings on planets in games where you should be able to control three digit numbers of them is wasteful and it'd be better off as moo1 style sliders.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:frogon:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I think my PC would scream in terror if I had a triple digit number of planets just from all the pops it would have to keep track of.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Panzeh posted:

Actually building a bunch of buildings on planets in games where you should be able to control three digit numbers of them is wasteful and it'd be better off as moo1 style sliders.

This. Good lord, so much this. The goddamn ruler of space doesn't give two shits about the type of factory the governor is faffing about with building - he/she/it just wants the planet to produce a certain amount of industrial output (minerals), or a certain amount of research, or some combination of the two.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd like a new planet system to allow and encourage specialization. I want multiple farm worlds feeding my Trantor style mega city and stuff.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I was the only goon who stuck around for the Saturday party and karaoke. It owned, even if the fact that my song never came up while some jerks got to go two or three times has torn away my ability to feel human.

I didnt get to sing either.. too long queue, and I even tried to pull rank

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
You rocked that Toga. One word, gravitas. I'm properly hyped about Rome 2!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

yeah that announcement was really cool

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
PORTUGAL BEGONE

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AppleDan posted:

PORTUGAL BEGONE

Côte d'Ivoire, the soft underbelly of the Mali empire :smug:

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Mans posted:

Côte d'Ivoire, the soft underbelly of the Mali empire :smug:

With Aragon beating the poo poo out Castille that poo poo'll be mine TOO

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

pdxjohan posted:

Pooned posted:

You rocked that Toga. One word, gravitas. I'm properly hyped about Rome 2!

Agreed, even though I didn't get to see the announcement I saw toga screenshots and the game looks pretty neat so far. Dev diaries when??

The Stellaris DLC surprise-dropping this week was cool too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I for one can't wait for my favorite tubers to start let's playing Rome 2.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Poil posted:

I for one can't wait for my favorite tubers to start let's playing Rome 2.

We need to recreate the Crete LP. It's only proper

:argh: populists! :helladid:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I forgot to ask Johann at the time, but they'd better be populists in this version... :helladid:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

pdxjohan posted:

A good announcement for rome 2. The bard clue instantaneously made sense

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The map is growing. Tribes now spotted in Britain, northern Germany, Scandinavia and the Ukraine. And the Zoom! Sweet mother of God, the Zoom!

Skip tp 4:09 unless you know German
https://youtu.be/Esf9xZW8HN8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

We need to recreate the Crete LP. It's only proper

:argh: populists! :helladid:

Twitch plays Rome 2

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
What's left as a good mod option for Vicky 2 at this point? I'm itching to get back in, but I also really liked the extra countries and events added by something like New Nations Mod, but I don't care at all about adding thirty trade goods like PDM. Is any of this stuff still floating around somewhere?

edit: nvm, forgot about having to be signed in to the forums to see the mod subforums. Looks like NNM works with 3.04

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 24, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Twitch plays Rome 2

Twitch plays crusader kings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't know how the tile overhaul in Stellaris work out, but I'm a bit apprehensive. For example I don't care about my planets in Endless Space at all. They are all the same abstracted places. and I usually build nearly the same buildings in the same order. Stellaris tiles are more engaging, and I do enjoy building up big planets or planets with unusually many good tile bonuses. But Wiz has often proven to be right in game redesigns, so I trust him for now.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Pharohman777 posted:

Twitch plays crusader kings.

Twitch Plays Aurora 4X

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How about a Stellaris crossover DLCwith Imperator.

Aliens are running amok, playing Mesopotamian God King, or just kidnapping people and doing crazy experiments.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Narrator posted:

I was thinking about the EU: Rome model, but now that I'm reading back on it, it did go into further depth with characters than I thought it did, and you're right that the CK2 adventurer system would be perfect. The only gap I can think of is that in Imperator you're playing as an EU4-style "spirit of the nation" guiding things along, whereas in CK2 you're a specific person, and adventurers in CK2 are characters without land or other responsibilities, aren't they (it's been a while)?. So suddenly temporarily losing a big army because their general decided he was going to take a jaunt to Gaul could be frustrating, if indeed historically accurate.

EU:Rome already basically had an adventurer system with the barbarian hordes. Depending on your views of Populists, the barbarian hordes were either the worst or second worst thing about EU:Rome. The Populists were bad because they effectively took control out of the players hands. So yeah, that whole independent generals doesn't really address the problems of EU:Rome at all, and instead suggests that they make things worse.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
What's the deal with the latest Stellaris update getting downvoted because it lacks Chinese localization?

I saw someone referring to Russia's Baltic suppression as a similar reference to what they are experiencing at the hands of Paradox.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Stellaris used to have an incomplete Chinese localisation that could be enabled with a mod (it was never able to be selected normally). It was removed recently. I have no idea what's stopping them from just grabbing the files from an old version into a new mod.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
e: Double posted somehow, might have double clicked the button really quickly maybe? My mouse has been doing that lately.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I enjoyed the Stellaris planet tile system and liked buildings that provided adjecency bonuses. That said, if planet management could be reworked to be it's own minigame, I would enjoy that even more. My fear is it being scrapped entirely--to me, the planet surfaces give the universe life and the galaxy would be wholly depopulated without them.

Unrelated to Stellaris: The nations font on the the Imperator: Rome map feels too "big", it seems to be filling up the entire countries. I know it's early, so I also hope they dress it up just a little too (EU4's outlined serifs were nice). That being said, I really like the ocean/sea font.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ExtraNoise posted:

I enjoyed the Stellaris planet tile system and liked buildings that provided adjecency bonuses. That said, if planet management could be reworked to be it's own minigame, I would enjoy that even more. My fear is it being scrapped entirely--to me, the planet surfaces give the universe life and the galaxy would be wholly depopulated without them.

Unrelated to Stellaris: The nations font on the the Imperator: Rome map feels too "big", it seems to be filling up the entire countries. I know it's early, so I also hope they dress it up just a little too (EU4's outlined serifs were nice). That being said, I really like the ocean/sea font.

Personally I love the zoom and the rotatable camera. I have been wanting that since CK2. Of course, I know that I can zoom, but not being able to permanently rotate is probably what prevents me from doing that too much.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One of the tricks that was missed (but would have been *very* difficult to pull off) would be to go hard sci-fi on the premise and use that to draw distinctions.

ie. 'this species evolved from birds, which makes them exceptionally good at 3d thinking and space combat tactics. the downside is their bones are light so they can only pull 2g's of acceleration'

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

One of the tricks that was missed (but would have been *very* difficult to pull off) would be to go hard sci-fi on the premise and use that to draw distinctions.

ie. 'this species evolved from birds, which makes them exceptionally good at 3d thinking and space combat tactics. the downside is their bones are light so they can only pull 2g's of acceleration'

I could see making these opt-in, like each phenotype has some unique traits they can take. 'Hollow boned', 'Cold blooded', 'Spores', 'Night vision', etc etc. So your birds don't have to have light bones, but its an option for extra trait points that mammals don't get to pick.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I enjoy Roman history but know next to nothing about the details. Are there any good books to read on the subject that aren't college textbooks? (Or maybe ones that are?)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

I enjoy Roman history but know next to nothing about the details. Are there any good books to read on the subject that aren't college textbooks? (Or maybe ones that are?)

https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

ExtraNoise posted:

I recommend anything by Adrian Goldsworthy. It's easy enough to get your hands on his books, and I don't think they're too "difficult" to read.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ExtraNoise posted:

Your best bet is Mary Beard's SPQR. She's a great writer and it's on the academic cutting edge. Adrian Goldsworthy is good, but he can get a little crankish on some things. His history of Rome's decline is still probably the best chronological history of the late empire. But yeah, i would say Beard first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ExtraNoise posted:

You could read Gibbon if you really wanted to, his fanatical hatred of Turks can be entertaining but it's a bit of a slog and can be hard to follow. For something easier, Mary Beard's SPQR is a fun read and Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast and his book The Storm Before the Storm are both easy to listen to/read. I'd also echo the Goldsworthy recommendation, I really enjoyed his Caesar but haven't read anything else he's written.

Lastly, Caesar's commentaries are actually really easy to read and very enjoyable.