Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Welp guess I'm waiting for the next patch again because this sounds cool. The Paradox Cycle strikes again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nevets posted:

How's your servitor morale modifier? It's possible that until it gets maxed out, the AI thinks it needs more biotrophies, and therefore will need more food to grow them, regardless of your current reproduction rules or the absence of habitable space for them to occupy.

It's low, but the trophies are set to not reproduce so this is kinda dumb. If I set them to reproduce they'll fill every available slot on my handful of planets before I'm able to change the rules back again.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, wait for wiz to finally put the tile system into the trash where it belongs.

It's a nice thought but I'm pretty sure this change will set sector AI back to square one.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Tried my first multiplayer game since 2.0.4. Still getting out of sync issues. About 50 years into the game we had an out of sync with POP_MODIFIERS.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

So the Nivlac sure are something.

Is there any way to make them my primary species? Seeing as how they'll pretty soon outgrow everything else in my empire, it would be nice to have them as the official primary species. Especially because my original species is Life-Seeded

Nivlac is Calvin backwards. Is this coincidence, or a hidden joke?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Chalks posted:

It's low, but the trophies are set to not reproduce so this is kinda dumb. If I set them to reproduce they'll fill every available slot on my handful of planets before I'm able to change the rules back again.

It's a nice thought but I'm pretty sure this change will set sector AI back to square one.

You know you can just build all those tiles to whatever you want instead of just complaining about the sector AI. Like sure it looks like there is a bit of missing logic in there, but you have the tools to make it a non-issue.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
My Precursor system turned out to be quite near my starting position, but thanks to the new hyperlane algorithm it looks to be at least twenty jumps away, probably more. It's gonna take a while to scout and expand out there, assuming someone else hasn't already gotten there. :mad:

On the upside though, is it a new feature that the Blorg can be an ancient race, or have I just not seen it happen before? Hell of a thing to see the Fungus Friends being all powerful and condescending at me. I imagine they'd be quite easy to please if I hadn't decided to go with fanatical pacifist xenophobes. Agrarian Idyll and Inward perfection just looked to be such an interesting combination, I couldn't resist.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The new tech that lets you teleport science ships around owns. I don't have to manually fiddle with switching leaders to different ships anymore!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If I want to jump into Stellaris what do I need to purchase other than the base game? The base game is 60% off right now on steam but even discounted the nova pack with all the expansion stuff is $44.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I got the nova pack a while ago and regret nothing

Utopia and Leviathans are my must haves.

I love, but don’t need, Synthetic Dawn. Apocalypse makes the late game better, but maybe you should see if that matters to you.

Distant Stars is too new for me to have an opinion but I like it so far.

Species packs are totally optional.

Oh and grab all the free stuff. Some of it is great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chalks posted:

I'm guessing it's being designed from the ground up by the guy who spent over a year failing to make the tile AI not bad, so will be actually designed with sectors/automation/ai friendliness in mind.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Murgos posted:

If I want to jump into Stellaris what do I need to purchase other than the base game? The base game is 60% off right now on steam but even discounted the nova pack with all the expansion stuff is $44.

You could probably wait and not buy Synthetic Dawn and Apocalypse just yet, SD adds new robot species & mechanics for those species, and Apocalypse adds world destroying super-ships, both of which you can avoid if you just play as a regular species that wants to peacefully coexist / brutally subjugate other aliens for your first couple games.

Distant Stars adds alot of story events, you could put off buying that too unntil you've played the game enough to have seen all the Vanilla story events a couple times.

The other non-cosmetic DLC's are cheap enough or change the base game enough that you shouldn't play without them.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
My revised rankings of DLC using the completely scientific Conskill Scale of Added Stellaris Enjoyment:

Utopia > Leviathans > Distant Stars > Apocalypse > Synthetic Dawn > Humanoids > Plantoids

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Conskill posted:

My revised rankings of DLC using the completely scientific Conskill Scale of Added Stellaris Enjoyment:

Utopia > Leviathans > Distant Stars > Apocalypse > Synthetic Dawn > Humanoids > Plantoids

This is correct and should almost be added to the OP.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Why exactly is it that are there mods that seem to make the AI work pretty much competently, but the base game itself hasn't been patched to include a similar fix? Is there some sort of drawback to what e.g. glavius' mod is doing under the hood that I don't know about?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bryter posted:

Why exactly is it that are there mods that seem to make the AI work pretty much competently, but the base game itself hasn't been patched to include a similar fix? Is there some sort of drawback to what e.g. glavius' mod is doing under the hood that I don't know about?

My personal theory based on nothing is that after over a year of people enraged about the planet management AI in the game for over a year and every time there was a sign that maybe they had a handle on things, a big update would come and set the AI back to square one, and the complaints would roll in again. I think wiz just became sick of dealing with "the tile problem" along with an idea that nothing would ever be good enough, so he gave up and is now correctly designing a new system.

I've noticed in the past the same pattern, there will be some bad part of the game that the team was seemingly ignoring obvious routes to improve, but it later turns out they had planned to gut the system so didn't want to invest any time making it better. I imagine the new planet system will come along with a new sector/automation system, so wiz just isn't wasting any more time beyond the minimum on any of it anymore.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wyld Karde posted:

On the upside though, is it a new feature that the Blorg can be an ancient race, or have I just not seen it happen before? Hell of a thing to see the Fungus Friends being all powerful and condescending at me.

I ran into one of my created races as a Fallen Empire, which was cool to see. The race was built with the robot-having tech, and the FE had advanced to Cybernetic.

Murgos posted:

I'd say Utopia and maybe Distant Stars are the only "need" expansions. Leviathans is good, but I'm sort of stuck in the pre-2.0 mindset that I'm dreading discovering one because 80% of the time it'll gate off half the galaxy. Synthetic Dawn is good if you want to play robots. The species packs can be skipped unless you really want to play a mushroom or a space dwarf. I haven't really touched the humanoid portraits, although I like the ship designs.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Distant Stars is already a need eh? Must be pretty good! I played the game hard for a while but haven't picked it up for a bit, need to find the patch notes because some of this is looking nice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Distant Stars is already a need eh? Must be pretty good!

Maybe its the brain slugs talking.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Nothing is a need, but I'd rate the top two in terms of gameplay to be Utopia and Apocalypse. Both add a good amount of things, utopia early/mid game and apocalypse late. Most of the rest add.. more to something existing (while like apocalypse is needed for titan class ships and unity edicts).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

My personal theory based on nothing is that after over a year of people enraged about the planet management AI in the game for over a year and every time there was a sign that maybe they had a handle on things, a big update would come and set the AI back to square one, and the complaints would roll in again. I think wiz just became sick of dealing with "the tile problem" along with an idea that nothing would ever be good enough, so he gave up and is now correctly designing a new system.

I've noticed in the past the same pattern, there will be some bad part of the game that the team was seemingly ignoring obvious routes to improve, but it later turns out they had planned to gut the system so didn't want to invest any time making it better. I imagine the new planet system will come along with a new sector/automation system, so wiz just isn't wasting any more time beyond the minimum on any of it anymore.

yeah it's basically this

glavius's solution absolutely works, but it's brute force. wiz could do it, because brute forcing the AI exactly like glavius does is what got him hired in the first place, but it's not the correct move long-term; it requires constant maintenance and balance changes can require extensive re-weighting so that the AI continues making the kinds of choices you want it to make.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Distant Stars is already a need eh? Must be pretty good! I played the game hard for a while but haven't picked it up for a bit, need to find the patch notes because some of this is looking nice.

I'm enjoying the stuff Distant Stars adds, but I wouldn't call it a must need in the same way that Utopia adds the three ascension paths or Leviathans the enclaves (though Distant Stars will unlock the Curators if you don't already have Leviathans).

Aside from the L-Cluster stuff, the main thing Distant Stars is doing is beefing up the space exploration portion of the game, which I think is already a uniquely Stellaris strength. It's not really focused on making substantial gameplay changes as much as it is making Stellaris More Stellaris-y.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

VirtualStranger posted:

Here's an an M-class star that's larger than a G-class star for some reason.

That's a red giant.

G & M are just colours, a G type star can become an M Type red giant as it evolves.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Jazerus posted:

yeah it's basically this

glavius's solution absolutely works, but it's brute force. wiz could do it, because brute forcing the AI exactly like glavius does is what got him hired in the first place, but it's not the correct move long-term; it requires constant maintenance and balance changes can require extensive re-weighting so that the AI continues making the kinds of choices you want it to make.

I would install glavius... but... but... my cheevos :(

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well some of the guys earlier in the thread were reporting good results from the AI opponents, so the fixes in the patch seem to have had some effect.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Conskill posted:

I'm enjoying the stuff Distant Stars adds, but I wouldn't call it a must need in the same way that Utopia adds the three ascension paths or Leviathans the enclaves (though Distant Stars will unlock the Curators if you don't already have Leviathans).

Aside from the L-Cluster stuff, the main thing Distant Stars is doing is beefing up the space exploration portion of the game, which I think is already a uniquely Stellaris strength. It's not really focused on making substantial gameplay changes as much as it is making Stellaris More Stellaris-y.

I've only played a few hours, but the sheer number of anomalies and events has made it worth it for me so far. Utopia is probably better, but Leviathans is probably not as good. It's not to say that Leviathans is bad, but there is a lot more content with Distant Stars.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Captain Invictus posted:

Made a gaia world starting empire. Second system surveyed had a pre-space civilization in it. Before my construction ship could even get there to build a starbase, they had already nuked themselves into oblivion. Marvelous.

tbf nuking yourselves rather than submitting to Gaian assholes seems perfectly justifiable.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There is a planetary anomaly (a very rare one) in which your science team determines that the former inhabitants deliberatly poisoned the planet and wrote a bunch of giant, insulting graffiti that could be read from space in order to taunt the people they were denying their prize to. In many hundreds of hours I think I've only ever seen it once because it will only ever spawn on toxic worlds.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

illectro posted:

That's a red giant.

G & M are just colours, a G type star can become an M Type red giant as it evolves.

The info window specifically said "red dwarf".

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/999324681181323264

Looks like they're bringing back liberation wars. I'm pro-Stellaris 2.0 for the most part--the only changes I like less than 1.9 are the changes to warfare. I miss being able to negotiate over systems at the end of a war, and I miss liberation war mechanics (even if they ended up in further Balkanization as governing ethics of the new empire clashed with the pop's actual ethics).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So when/where do you find the L-gates? I'm on a 2x gate map and I have explored pretty much the whole galaxy and there's no gates at all.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Don't know if their frequency is tied to regular gates or if there's always a fixed number but you'll find them randomly scattered around the galaxy. You should receive a pop up and new quest in the log book when you do find one. They appear to exclusively spawn in blackhole systems.

They also have a special icon on the galaxy map:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Staltran posted:

The real advantage corvettes have is evasion. Prior to 2.0 small ships had (meaningful amounts of) evasion as a multiplicative defensive stat, and bigger ships had (likewise meaningful) armor. The 2.0 armor change took that advantage away from bigger ships, and their lower sublight speed also became far more important in 2.0. Their only real advantage now is access to L and XL slot weapons.

I think that the reason that corvettes rule the space lanes right now is basically because they're good at all the important parts of combat (speed, evasion, mineral value, war exhaustion) and face virtually no drawbacks from being limited to small or guided weapons. And frankly it's pretty stupid. There really ought to be some benefit to using larger hulls.

Corvettes should have access to small and medium weapons. They should be an efficient use of minerals but an ineffective use of fleet cap. They should rely on evasion and form a frontline screen.

Destroyers should also get access to guided weapons and point defence. They should do great damage for their mineral cost and decent for their fleet cap, but lack endurance.

Cruisers should get fighters and large weapons. They should be good at fleet support and de/buffing, but also be good but mineral pricey all-around fighters.

Battleships should get XL weapons and lots of slots. They're the expensive flagships that are great value for fleet cap and can take and deliver a pounding.

Also: Overhaul or remove the XP system, which doesn't work well. Make defense platforms autoupgrade to cut down on busywork. Take out speed differences between ship classes so that mixed fleets don't wear anchors around their necks. Significantly tone down the disengage mechanic / make it more dangerous to rely on and update the war score system so that players aren't penalized for commiting to battle and seizing enemy territory. Identify a core strength and weakness for each weapon system.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 24, 2018

Conskill
May 7, 2007

binge crotching posted:

I've only played a few hours, but the sheer number of anomalies and events has made it worth it for me so far. Utopia is probably better, but Leviathans is probably not as good. It's not to say that Leviathans is bad, but there is a lot more content with Distant Stars.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply Distant Stars isn't worth it. I really am enjoying the poo poo out of it. Just part of the bias of my list is that I emphasized the DLCs that put in mechanical changes that I wouldn't want to play without anymore.

All in all Stellaris' DLC entries have been solid. The only one I'm actually meh at is Synthetic Dawn, and that's probably just because it's hyper-focused on a theme that doesn't do it for me.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
So just a heads up, I have been keeping my mods up to date (I see they're not on the main post, guess they fell out of favor):

Stellar Expansion: Complete

The whole collection might not be for everyone (and I admit, the main module needs updated pictures/desc), but they're all pretty well functional.

For those of you who may have played them before, the Cloning module now allows you to clone *any* species on the planet, not just your founders. That's the biggest change offhand, other than adjusting different modules for the various rebalances to the core game that PDX keeps making.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

I think that the reason that corvettes rule the space lanes right now is basically because they're good at all the important parts of combat (speed, evasion, mineral value, war exhaustion) and face virtually no drawbacks from being limited to small or guided weapons. And frankly it's pretty stupid. There really ought to be some benefit to using larger hulls.

Corvettes should have access to small and medium weapons. They should be an efficient use of minerals but an ineffective use of fleet cap. They should rely on evasion and form a frontline screen.

Destroyers should also get access to guided weapons and point defence. They should do great damage for their mineral cost and decent for their fleet cap, but lack endurance.

Cruisers should get fighters and large weapons. They should be good at fleet support and de/buffing, but also be good but mineral pricey all-around fighters.

Battleships should get XL weapons and lots of slots. They're the expensive flagships that are great value for fleet cap and can take and deliver a pounding.

Also: Overhaul or remove the XP system, which doesn't work well. Make defense platforms autoupgrade to cut down on busywork. Take out speed differences between ship classes so that mixed fleets don't wear anchors around their necks. Significantly tone down the disengage mechanic / make it more dangerous to rely on and update the war score system so that players aren't penalized for commiting to battle and seizing enemy territory. Identify a core strength and weakness for each weapon system.

I like those ideas.

Maybe another thing they need to look at is missiles being only a single slot size, and corvettes being able to use torpedoes at all. Like destroyers should be the smallest hull that can carry torps, with cruisers being able to carry a bunch. As for missiles, maybe have a M and L size mounts that have multiple launchers per spot. Like a cruiser should really be able to lay down a wall of missiles for its size.

Or maybe smaller ships can keep the launchers, but limit their number of shots in an engagement. Like, a corvette gets 2 torps, you get an early burst of damage, but then you have a ship flying around with a puny S weapon. Destroyers have more launches possible. This way you could decide between burst/sustained damage, and how heavy you think someone went in on point defense.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

KingLemming posted:

So just a heads up, I have been keeping my mods up to date (I see they're not on the main post, guess they fell out of favor):

Stellar Expansion: Complete

The whole collection might not be for everyone (and I admit, the main module needs updated pictures/desc), but they're all pretty well functional.

For those of you who may have played them before, the Cloning module now allows you to clone *any* species on the planet, not just your founders. That's the biggest change offhand, other than adjusting different modules for the various rebalances to the core game that PDX keeps making.

Whoa, this mod pack is exactly my speed, thanks for the reminder.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goon rookersh fired up his first game of stellaris

14 hours later, he's still in there, I dunno if he went afk at any point or if he's still battling slaving despots and federationed hiveminds, he might have gazed too far into the abyss...

also
fear me

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’m noticing the AI loves point defense this patch, building nothing but corvs and destroyers with heavy point defense armaments. And according to the after battle results, this has worked out to them shooting down about 5-8% of my total missile output :v:

As much as I keep enjoying the absurdity of missile boats just being the most OP poo poo, i do hope there’s a meta change so I can build some heavies again.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Horizon Signal event chain is some real-rear end poo poo :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

really queer Christmas posted:

I’m noticing the AI loves point defense this patch, building nothing but corvs and destroyers with heavy point defense armaments. And according to the after battle results, this has worked out to them shooting down about 5-8% of my total missile output :v:

As much as I keep enjoying the absurdity of missile boats just being the most OP poo poo, i do hope there’s a meta change so I can build some heavies again.

It's the eternal balance cycle. Remember when missiles were poo poo for the longest time?