Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
My Boston butt took FOREVER last night, there was a ton of wind and rain midway through the cook so it ended up taking a few hours longer and I had to foil them. It was too dark and rainy for me to take pictures of the grill setup and I forgot to do photograph the butts before I pulled the pork inside.

However it was all very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

I grill salads a lot. Endive/radicchio as a base, thick slices of zucchini that I can cut into chunks, a baguette, maybe a flank steak. It’s a real crowd pleaser!

I flat out grill romaine. I just chop in half lengthwise, season with oil and plop it on for a while. Grilled cauliflower is good too.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Tumble posted:

My Boston butt took FOREVER last night, there was a ton of wind and rain midway through the cook so it ended up taking a few hours longer and I had to foil them. It was too dark and rainy for me to take pictures of the grill setup and I forgot to do photograph the butts before I pulled the pork inside.

However it was all very tasty.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Photograph Your Butts

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Got multiple fake wigs, mustaches, and glasses to snatch up all the Kingsford at Lowe's this upcoming weekend

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AH yes, that time of the year for big charcoal sale.

I wonder if they'll downsize the bags again.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm looking at the Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker - with a 15% off Ebay coupon, I can get it for $145 shipped.

Doom Rooster said he's satisfied with his (though he recommends the 40",) and I was wondering if anyone else would recommend it? It seems to have good reviews everywhere except for AmazingRibs, and the article seems to be referencing an older model, so I think I just need to discount their input.

This will be babby's first smoker and I think a 40" would be overkill at this point.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I've got a masterbuilt 30" electric. Doubt it's the same model, since I've got a Redhead (bass pro shop) branded one that's made by masterbuilt. I think it's fine. The 30" is smaller than you'd think, but there's enough racks that it'll still hold plenty. Ribs have to be cut in half to fit for example. Holds heat pretty well and is very set and forget, which is the nicest thing about it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

AH yes, that time of the year for big charcoal sale.

I wonder if they'll downsize the bags again.

My local shop had 18.6lb kingsford for 9.88/2 bags. Picked up six bundles to get me through the next 12 months.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Wacky Delly posted:

I've got a masterbuilt 30" electric. Doubt it's the same model, since I've got a Redhead (bass pro shop) branded one that's made by masterbuilt. I think it's fine. The 30" is smaller than you'd think, but there's enough racks that it'll still hold plenty. Ribs have to be cut in half to fit for example. Holds heat pretty well and is very set and forget, which is the nicest thing about it.

I'm very much about the "set and forget." I really don't want to be jumping up every hour or so to check heat and smoke. I'd spring for the 40", but it's more than double the price - I don't have a problem cutting a slab of ribs in half, should I need to.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm looking at the Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker - with a 15% off Ebay coupon, I can get it for $145 shipped.

Doom Rooster said he's satisfied with his (though he recommends the 40",) and I was wondering if anyone else would recommend it? It seems to have good reviews everywhere except for AmazingRibs, and the article seems to be referencing an older model, so I think I just need to discount their input.

This will be babby's first smoker and I think a 40" would be overkill at this point.

I went with the Masterbuilt 20078715 30'' instead. It's about $50 more, but I had heard about problems with the way the 20071117 controller was located, causing it to overheat and possibly collect water. It is my first smoker and I am super happy with it. I haven't felt regret over not getting the 40'' yet and I have smoked probably about 10 times or so. It's just the wife and I, so we usually have more meat than we can handle anyways. :mmmhmm:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Question:

I have a package labelled "Crock Pot Rib Roast". Its about 5lbs and currently frozen.

The meat species is Moose.

I don't know what a moose rib roast would be like for marble... But I assume since "crock pot" is written on it, cooking it to 135 would probably be a tough piece of poo poo.

If I slowly bring it up to 205f, would you bet that it would be edible ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
PS I've mentioned this before if you look at my posts in this thread but my masterbuilt smoker is a champ.

I leave it outside in the winder under 3 feet of snow and -40. I then just turn it on to melt the snow off. I spray the inside with oven cleaner and pressure wash it out whenever I do smoked salmon. I leave it in the hot direct sun all summer.

Its on its 6th year and it still works just fine. Other than the button labels on the control box came off from the pressure washer.

I get up at 3am, -40 outside, toss a brisket in, add a mix of cherrywood and charcoal into the tray (overloading it well beyond its design and open palm slam the chip loader to get it all to fit. (Making wooshing noises)) I turn it on and go back to bed. Then I wake up and load some more chips and charcoal and do this every few hours. Once my maverick probe goes off at 200 I open the door and check it. Then wait for the temp to hit 205 and pull it out. Usually around a 9-10 hour cook for a 9lb brisket and maybe 12 or 13hrs for a big 15lb one.

I've racked a brisket, a pork shoulder and ribs all at once and never had an issue.

I like to pretend I'm buffalo bill and the masterbuilt was an innocent woman I asked to help me get a couch into my van.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jonathan posted:

PS I've mentioned this before if you look at my posts in this thread but my masterbuilt smoker is a champ.

I leave it outside in the winder under 3 feet of snow and -40. I then just turn it on to melt the snow off. I spray the inside with oven cleaner and pressure wash it out whenever I do smoked salmon. I leave it in the hot direct sun all summer.

How does spraying the inside with pressure washer not damage the heating element? I'm amazed, since they tell you very clearly to keep water away from it. That's crazy.

Also, they do sell a cover you know. :v:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Also, they do sell a cover you know. :v:

He did say he likes to imagine he's Buffalo Bill, so I imagine that he will shortly be making a cover from human skin.

"It puts the dry rub on its skin, or it gets the hose again..."

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 22, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

berzerkmonkey posted:

He did say he likes to imagine he's Buffalo Bill, so I imagine that he will shortly be making a cover from human skin.

"It puts the dry rub on its skin, or it gets the hose again..."

Q: What are we eating
A: Long pork butt

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The US is having great sales on charcoal briquettes at HD and Lowes. Are there equivalent sales in Canada? I didn't see any during the past long weekend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Main difference is with the 40 (or it was this way in past models, correct me if I'm wrong) you'll get a 1200W element vs the 800W in the smaller one.

Not a real big deal...but if you want to do hot and fast @275 on a cold day to crank out a butt (like in the 20s F if you get the itch to smoke in winter) the little 800W won't keep up. Or hell maybe you live in a nice warm state and it doesn't matter.

You'll need to toss chips in every 45 minutes or so. Main complaint is that and that the chips don't deliver enough smoke which is a personal preference but I'll say it doesn't. Easily rectified by plunking in an amazen smoke thing of your choosing.

I've beat the hell out of mine. Element croaked after about 4-5 years but they sent me a new one for around 30 bucks after an easy phone call and it is an easy repair. Control panel is somewhat flaking out but probably my fault for letting it smoke in rain and snow with nothing more than some plastic wrap over it.

In short, you can't go wrong.

xsf421 posted:

My local shop had 18.6lb kingsford for 9.88/2 bags. Picked up six bundles to get me through the next 12 months.

Thanks. Was expecting them to slip in the 17lb range.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Lowe's big Memorial Day sale flyer that comes with the local paper showed no Kingsford, just two bags of Royal Oak for $8

I hope they're doing the sale but not advertising it. Don't take away my cheap fire, Mr Lowes.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

The US is having great sales on charcoal briquettes at HD and Lowes. Are there equivalent sales in Canada? I didn't see any during the past long weekend.

I wish. I stocked up at Home Depot last fall when they were on for 9 bucks a bag. They also had Kingsford Competition as well for 9 bucks a bag.

Now that I have a kettle I've gone through three bags so far this spring. I think I'll switch to lump for the kettle though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
The 18lb two packs of Kingsford Pro are $14 at Costco, too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are there any sales on lump charcoal?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Today I spent $72 on three steaks.

These better be good steaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Total weight?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

Total weight?

2.68 lbs.

They’re grass-fed ribeyes and they’re each a little over an inch or an inch and a half thick.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Makes me think of all sorts of heresy, hmm.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve got mine marinating in a mix of beer and A-1 Bold & Spicy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Wouldn't expect anything less.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do either of those penetrate meaningfully?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I like how you're slowly stringing out the troll. Well played.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I fell utterly for that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

Do either of those penetrate meaningfully?

:shrug: but probably not.

Especially cuz it only marinated for 2 hours.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

:shrug: but probably not.

Especially cuz it only marinated for 2 hours.

God bless you.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Where would one actually find steaks for $27 a pound?
edit: Besides a Ruth's Chris

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

There is a store called Jensen's here that has pasteur raised beef for over $20/lb. Whole Foods is pretty similar but I haven't looked at their meat case for a while.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

whole foods dry aged was about that 2 years ago iirc

It's really what beef should cost imo

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Hasselblad posted:

In Canada :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seriously.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

In California at my Local high quality butcher, Tenderloin is 30 a pound, T-bones are 27, and bone in Rib-Eyes are 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that sounds like what I used to find at butchers in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. Dark times.