Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Will we likely ever get the Crossbell games localized?

From what I understand the general consensus is that they are the best games in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No but there are going to be fan translations

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Carpe Fulgur should get on it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Will we likely ever get the Crossbell games localized?

From what I understand the general consensus is that they are the best games in the series.

Zero's fan translation hit 60% editing in February, so while we haven't had any updates since then, there's a non-zero chance we get a release by the end of the year.

The translators are already working on Azure.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

punk rebel ecks posted:

Carpe Fulgur should get on it.

After how they almost killed SC, no thanks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:thunk:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

That's a decidedly dark way to phrase that, considering what happened to SpaceDrake.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

But it had the best localization of the series outside if repetitive chest messages.

Edit - I was also under the impression that both Carpe and XSEED were equally at fault.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

But it had the best localization of the series outside if repetitive chest messages.

Edit - I was also under the impression that both Carpe and XSEED were equally at fault.
When the script was given to Hatsuu for editing, Carpe said they expected a 4-week QA cycle. She extended it to 6 months to fix all the problems in the script.

A thing an NPC says in the game after it received her editing:

quote:

Most skills are easy enough to pick up just by watching, if you ask me.
Girls, though? Hah! Haven't been able to pick them up to save my life.
As it was before editing:

quote:

It's my belief that technology's something you can steal just by looking at it...
When it comes to girls, I just can't help but talk...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure it was mostly big technical issues.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

I'm pretty sure it was mostly big technical issues.

it was, and it's kind of a fools errand to try and attribute the end product to one single entity when its basically gonna be a blended mess of both teams work.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Carpe Fulgur still around? Last I heard they were still doing that strange VR visual novel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Major/Minor spoilers for CS4: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/23/trails-cold-steel-iv-screenshots-new-show-glimpse-lloyd-elie-tio-randy/

Lloyd and Elie are finally 3d

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lloyd was 3D already

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You know I am playing the sky games again and I think I prefer the old style over the 3D models.

They do a surprising amount of neat things with it. The 3D models haven’t really been used like that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Trails works best with sprites and no voice acting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah voice acting is cool

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Nah, the Cold Steel dub is fantastic

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, the spritework in Sky is really really good and I honestly do prefer it to the Cold Steel 3D models.

The Cold Steel dub is really good though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, the spritework in Sky is really really good and I honestly do prefer it to the Cold Steel 3D models.

The Cold Steel dub is really good though.

Yeah I would be fine with sprite work with talking heads.

It will still look better than CS’s lip flaps which can look like it was ripped from Robot Chicken at times.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
For all the Sen 3 ending pissed me off, I ended up preordering that Sen 4 special edition. Literally the first special edition I’ve ever preordered so they’d bloody well better finish it this time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The special edition has uncensored story things that is 700 pages

Also Sen 4 doubling down on "You didn't play crossbell? :lol:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, they'd have to at some point.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

3 already spent a couple of chapters going "okay you fuckers are never going to go back and play those psp games so here's everything you need to know going forward"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cold Steel 3 and 4 are finally being localized

In china and South Korea

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/24/trails-cold-steel-iv-ps4-getting-chinese-korean-localizations-sony/

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

This makes me wonder if the English localization is going to be announced on stage at e3. (This still wouldn't exclude getting pc ports or an xseed translation)

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 24, 2018

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ohtsam posted:

This makes me wonder if the English localization is going to be announced on stage at e3.

Unlikely, Xseed's is nowhere nearly notable enough to get stage time. However, it is a very large piece of evidence towards the :speculate: that Falcom was waiting until CS4 was more-or-less done before licensing them out, and was licensing CS3 and CS4 as a group.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tiny games like Falcom are a PSX thing, lol at e3.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

Tiny games like Falcom are a PSX thing, lol at e3.

I could see Sony asking for a clip for a compilation video or something, though. That type of thing is usually in mutual interest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Persona 5 could barely get a spot in a compilation video.

PSX is where fan things go, like Yakuza and Ys Origin.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tae posted:

Persona 5 could barely get a spot in a compilation video.

PSX is where fan things go, like Yakuza and Ys Origin.

To be fair Persona wasn't even somewhat mainstream until 5. Persona 4 sold pretty bad in the US.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair Persona wasn't even somewhat mainstream until 5. Persona 4 sold pretty bad in the US.

Is this true? I thought Persona 4 was the breakout international hit for the series.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trails works best with sprites and no voice acting.

As good as CS dubbing is - really good - I think I agree with this. I get a little more authority over how I see the character if the voice is in my head. Just preference, I think. But I've wondered some times if I would like the CS characters better if they didn't have voice acting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

Is this true? I thought Persona 4 was the breakout international hit for the series.

Persona 4 on PS2 sold okay for a random JRPG. Persona 4 Golden sold really well.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Captain Lavender posted:

As good as CS dubbing is - really good - I think I agree with this. I get a little more authority over how I see the character if the voice is in my head. Just preference, I think. But I've wondered some times if I would like the CS characters better if they didn't have voice acting.

I think Sara and Fie, at minimum, would be worse for me without the voice acting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

Well i mean I even Sky had voice acting for random lines so it’s not like the Trail games have ever not had vo

I assume crossbell is the same

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I can try and find it when I get home, but Persona 4 on PS2 in the states didn't sell much more than 100,000 copies or something.

I know the Vita one did good for what it was but I figured that was relative to other Vita games.

EDIT - Found it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 24, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cyouni posted:

I think Sara and Fie, at minimum, would be worse for me without the voice acting.

Losing Bleublanc and Olivier's voice acting would be criminal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

People that don't want voice acting are just types, you can't change them any better than any other preference and the discussion on it is always a dead end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Cyouni posted:

Yeah, I could agree here. I think a big part of how I see Fie is wrapped up in her voice and the way she speaks.

I'm not a dub hater, I just wonder what the alternative might have been. Guess I could've muted voices, but too little too late, and I wouldn't have wanted to miss it anyway because it is very good, and I assume, a huge amount of work.