Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

flightless greeb posted:

How much is VAGCOM normally? Every time I search for it I get confused since I'm not like 100% sure what the product is supposed to look like lol

It’s the cable that costs. The software is free with it. You can get the cable for $199 but it’s limited to 3 vins. 10 vin is $299.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Great thanks. I guess that means having a friend with one doesn't do a ton of good. Might be worth looking into just so my car stops telling me I need a service I already performed :/

I've been plotting out the mods I originally planned for my S4 that I didn't get a chance to do since it had a bunch of problems. Now that it seems they're fixed I'm excited to finally get to them!

I'm sort of local to 034 Motorsports so I was planning to get their Stage 1 tune and probably also an X pipe and rear sway bar at the same time. It seems like they don't make a cold air intake for the B8 though so I'd have to look elsewhere for that. Anyone have any favorites?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FYI most of the intakes make the supercharger whine really obvious. Some people like that some people don’t.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I'm def into the whine

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

If you don’t mind used, check the classified sections of your local Audi FB page. There’s usually one or two people selling a CAI because they either didn’t like the whine or (especially recently) they’ve moved on to a B9 S4/5.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Will do, I always forget the idea of signing up for groups on Facebook.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

This is a pretty specific q but I was wondering if anyone knows if the ECS Kohlefaser intake https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/kohlefaser-luft-technik-intake-system/000931ecs01kt/ is worth the $200 jump over their standard one? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/luft-technik-intake-system-silicone-inlet/007344ecs01kt/ Is it just carbon fiber in the looks department and thats it or does the more expensive model have other advantages?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
So I’m looking at purchasing a golf sport wagen, but having trouble deciding between diesel and gasoline. I’d also be getting an automatic, for what it’s worth.

Also, how does a stage 1 time affect reliability?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

This is a pretty specific q but I was wondering if anyone knows if the ECS Kohlefaser intake https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/kohlefaser-luft-technik-intake-system/000931ecs01kt/ is worth the $200 jump over their standard one? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/luft-technik-intake-system-silicone-inlet/007344ecs01kt/ Is it just carbon fiber in the looks department and thats it or does the more expensive model have other advantages?
It’s just looks. I know ECS, APR, etc all say the interior of their CF intakes are smoother for better airflow but I doubt there’s any noticeable difference over the regular version of their intakes.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s just looks. I know ECS, APR, etc all say the interior of their CF intakes are smoother for better airflow but I doubt there’s any noticeable difference over the regular version of their intakes.

This guy gets it. I have the ECS intake (non-cf version) and it’s great. Makes lots of fun noises. Probably does zero for performance, but if I was concerned with that, I wouldn’t have bought a 4-banger to begin with.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

So I’m looking at purchasing a golf sport wagen, but having trouble deciding between diesel and gasoline. I’d also be getting an automatic, for what it’s worth.

Also, how does a stage 1 time affect reliability?

If you're in europe, I would stay away from diesels if possible, they are getting some pretty harsh legislation against them. They're already banned from entering some cities.

A stage 1 shouldn't affect reliability in any noticeable way.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m driving a loaner 2018 Atlas with 3000 miles on it. It’s a really nice car, I wouldn’t mind one as a replacement for my 2.0t Passat wagon. I can drive the atlas just like the wagon, plus the lane keeping is awesome on the interstate.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I’m driving a loaner 2018 Atlas with 3000 miles on it. It’s a really nice car, I wouldn’t mind one as a replacement for my 2.0t Passat wagon. I can drive the atlas just like the wagon, plus the lane keeping is awesome on the interstate.

We got my wife a new Tiguan a couple months ago, though I wish she'd gotten an Atlas instead. She thought it felt too large, and it is probably more vehicle than we need right now, but I liked it. VW has a 5-seat version in the works, but its roofline is "sportier" and less practical.

I enjoy the Tiguan a lot more than I thought I would. It's got nice features that make me wish I was driving something newer too. The subtle LED lighting along the length of the panoramic sunroof is a nice touch. Plus it's orange.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

devmd01 posted:

How do you feel about the interior? The one I sat in felt like a downgrade from the Golf R next to it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Is the OP still around, or another Audi tech?

I have a 2008 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI sportback, and I have a coolant leak. I *think* it only leaks when the engine warms up, and it seems to be right at the front of the block. Any thoughts?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

WhatEvil posted:

Is the OP still around, or another Audi tech?

I have a 2008 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI sportback, and I have a coolant leak. I *think* it only leaks when the engine warms up, and it seems to be right at the front of the block. Any thoughts?

Possibly the water pump or something going into it- that failed on my uncles car while it was still in warranty and a quick google says they have revised the pump multiple times. That or possibly the coolant tank has a small crack that's only big enough when warmed up?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
My wife's 2013 Tiguan had the CEL on for 2-3 minutes today. I had brought it in and out of the garage over the weekend and only turned it on for a minute each time. This was the first time we started it since the weekend. Any thoughts on what caused that or anything I can check? Is there a historical log of codes it throws?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Picked this up yesterday. Did a lot of test driving over the past 10 days and this came out on top. I was a long time BMW guy but I have now joined the Audi horde!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Boner Wad posted:

My wife's 2013 Tiguan had the CEL on for 2-3 minutes today. I had brought it in and out of the garage over the weekend and only turned it on for a minute each time. This was the first time we started it since the weekend. Any thoughts on what caused that or anything I can check? Is there a historical log of codes it throws?

Grab a bluetooth obd2 dongle and torquepro for a pittance and it will let you check new, pending and historical codes and wipe them. Best £5 or so anyone can spend on a car, imho

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Homie S posted:

Picked this up yesterday. Did a lot of test driving over the past 10 days and this came out on top. I was a long time BMW guy but I have now joined the Audi horde!

Grats! Was super surprised to learn they don't come in manual but have manual seats when i went to check one out at a dealership lol

What made the choice for you?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

flightless greeb posted:

Grats! Was super surprised to learn they don't come in manual but have manual seats when i went to check one out at a dealership lol

What made the choice for you?

That's what I tell people when they ask me what type of transmission it is :smug:

I test drove a bunch of BMWs and just didn't really get excited about their models. I liked the M2 but I had a bitch of a time finding a color I wanted it in. I fell in love with the look of the Nardo gray with the black trim once I saw it. The test drive was the most exciting, maybe cause I've never had time in AWD. I'm a big fan of the tech bits in it too, I think it's the best satnav/infotainment/technology suite going these days. iDrive was starting to get stale for me.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

A3 family is still Haldex AWD, right?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah the Q3, TT, and A3 families are all Haldex. However, in the cases of the TTRS and RS3 the Haldex system is tuned for rear wheel bias.

The Q7 family uses a Borg-Warner system. All their other vehicles use Torsen.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Has anyone ever had to replace a dead RCD 510? Is it better to find an OEM one used where you need a code or should I just buy an aftermarket unit?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just ordered an Android Auto unit and will have a spare 510 in a couple of weeks, should you decide to replace it.

FWIW, an Android Auto unit will cost around $500 with all the accessories from Crutchfield.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Uthor posted:

I just ordered an Android Auto unit and will have a spare 510 in a couple of weeks, should you decide to replace it.

FWIW, an Android Auto unit will cost around $500 with all the accessories from Crutchfield.

I actually have a unit lined up that I found on Craigslist. The owner put an aftermarket in their car and didn't need this one. I just need them to give me the code and I think I should be set. I didn't know if there was any issue with putting an OEM into a different car from the original.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I put mine into a MKV GTI. Needed an adapter harness as the pins on the original head unit were different. I also wasn't able to get the Bluetooth microphone to work.

But, if your car had one as an option, it should be plug and play.

It's been yeas since I messed with it, but I should have some of the websites I used for information saved if you run into issues.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Anyone have any advice on tracking down the dreaded p0455 (large EVAP leak) on a a mk6 GTI? (2.0 tsi, third gen I think?). Fuel cap has been tightened and looked over; code comes back. I've heard the n80 purge valve can fail and cause this too, so I'll be replacing that later today since it's easy and $20.

But, VW being VW, I doubt it'll be this easy. No apparent smell of gas anywhere I can tell that might happen from a truly large leak in the hoses at least? Maybe?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

My front tires are wearing much more heavily on the inside of the tread but my alignment is in spec, and they're wearing way more heavily than the rears. the tire shop guy said it's basically normal for an S4 and i can expect to replace them every like 10-20k miles. Does that seem like truth?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Not at all from my experience. My tire wear is always even. The OEM Continentals only lasted about 10K but then I put on Michelin PSSs and they lasted about 30K.

What tire pressure are you running? I have the 19” rotors and I think it’s something like 33 psi front and 30 psi rear. I know the fronts supposed to be a few psi higher than the rears.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

flightless greeb posted:

My front tires are wearing much more heavily on the inside of the tread but my alignment is in spec, and they're wearing way more heavily than the rears. the tire shop guy said it's basically normal for an S4 and i can expect to replace them every like 10-20k miles. Does that seem like truth?

Some cars are like this. My Speed3 also wore tires unevenly. You say the alignment is in spec, what are the actual numbers?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How old is the car? Static alignment numbers can be very different than dynamic alignment numbers if you have worn out bushings that allow the wheels to hella toe out or something when moving.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Must not be driving the car hard enough if you aren't using that camber. :getin:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Some cars are like this. My Speed3 also wore tires unevenly. You say the alignment is in spec, what are the actual numbers?

Here's a pic of the alignment numbers, it's right on the edge but pretty much in spec, and the right side is in spec but wore just about as much.

The car is a 2013 as it says in the image but it has a sordid history including some undisclosed body repairs that don't show up on Carfax or similar. Not sure what the PSI is rn and I don't have a tire gauge with me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That toe is likely the problem.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here are the recommended tire pressures.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Ugh idk why this guy was so dead set against performing an alignment since yea the toe is out of spec. Would having it be bad on one side effect the other passenger side tire as well?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you only have toe on one side the car up front you'll just have the steering a bit off center to go straight and both sides will have equal toe while rolling.

A half degree is a lot, I don't know why he said it's "in spec" when the sheet has a bunch of red numbers on it. There's also a big difference between "in spec" and "good." Take it back and have him get that toe between zero and 2/10ths out total while keeping the camber on the high side.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 24, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just read through several years of this thread and am now convinced my new-to-me TTS is going to explode. However:

My main problem at the moment is finding somewhere level to check the oil. Also I think I want to install a reversing camera which doesn't look too horrifically expensive (in the UK, not checked here in the world's most expensive country)

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah the Q3, TT, and A3 families are all Haldex. However, in the cases of the TTRS and RS3 the Haldex system is tuned for rear wheel bias.

I am no expert but I don't think a Haldex can ever send more than 50% to the back wheels..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Awesome! Would love to see some pics of the outside!