Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There is suddenly a pile of convertibles at michener allen in edmonton this weekend.

There's also an 05 911 cab and 04 mr2 spyder.

It's like someone dumping a collection or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If the 986 runs and goes cheap enough, they can be a gold mine to part out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is the MR2 registered in Alberta? Might be a decent steal if it's in really good shape and needs an OOP

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Is the MR2 registered in Alberta? Might be a decent steal if it's in really good shape and needs an OOP

Yeah, odometer is in miles.

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail?Link=9/5/2018%5E7c5cdeffd0f24543a5e36ec2fc199914

It really should go under $3k, but auction folks get stupid for odd poo poo sometimes.

Zuur
May 2, 2009
Hey Alberta goons. I live in rhe US and my fiance lives in Sylvan Lake. Something I have noticed is that there is a huge car culture in Alberta and I figure there HAS to be a reason for that. Is it much easier to purchase cars and trucks? Is it because Mopar has a bigass factory in the center of the province? Or is it just because you NEED to have some sort of vehicle to survive or get anywhere.

I have actually seen quite a few imports and otherwise that wouldn't be allowed in the US as well. (And also more rebel flags flown on your lifted brotrucks than I have seen in Seattle.)

It's pretty interesting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zuur posted:

Hey Alberta goons. I live in rhe US and my fiance lives in Sylvan Lake. Something I have noticed is that there is a huge car culture in Alberta and I figure there HAS to be a reason for that. Is it much easier to purchase cars and trucks? Is it because Mopar has a bigass factory in the center of the province? Or is it just because you NEED to have some sort of vehicle to survive or get anywhere.

I have actually seen quite a few imports and otherwise that wouldn't be allowed in the US as well. (And also more rebel flags flown on your lifted brotrucks than I have seen in Seattle.)

It's pretty interesting.

There are a lot of reasons

Everything is really far apart, so you have to drive.
plates cost $87 a year and insurance companies offer huge discounts for more vehicles than drivers so it's easy to own multiple vehicles
you can import anything over 15 years old(vs 25 for the US) so we get the interesting JDM/EUDM poo poo 10 years earlier than the US

That mopar building is just parts distribution and it still takes 6 fuckin days to get parts from a dealer here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think we have a factory, what you saw is probably the Mopar parts distribution centre on the outskirts of Red Deer heading up Highway 2.

Mostly we just have a lot of cars around because we made a lot of money and imports are legal here after 15 years instead of 25, like in the States.

e: fb

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 10, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The Confederate flag thing is because of the huge percentage of complete morons we allow to keep living here.

Also because of stupid redneck culture that creeps in from the south (there's a lot of literal and cultural interbreeding with Texans, Louisianans, Alabamans, or anywhere you get oil from) and is adopted whole loving hog by Jonny Sisterfucker.

Plus the racism. So much racism.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gas is cheaper as well usually, I think?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

odiv posted:

Gas is cheaper as well usually, I think?

Not cheaper than the states.

Cheaper that BC and Ontario, yes, but it's still the equivalent of $3.90 US/US gallon in alberta and $2.69 US/US gallon 10 minutes across the border in montana.

Zuur
May 2, 2009
Yeah no, your gas is more expensive than ours. That is what surprised me with your massive oil industry. And yeah that was the Mopar distribution center in red deer thanks for clarifying.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Alberta is cheaper than most anywhere else in Canada but taxes are a significant amount of fuel cost.

That and it's not like the us where it seems like many small cities have refineries. In Canada they are far more centralized.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We barely have any refineries or lumber mills.

The Confederate flags are mostly because people here have no clue what it represents and put it on because dukes of hazard.

Some local chick built a mud truck and put a huge flag on it. Within a few days someone spray painted a big cock n balls with "dic gently caress" written on it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Arg, why am I looking at a beater truck on the local classifieds? I'm trying to justify it to myself like, "It would be great for parts and it's only $1250." (for sale is a 2007 Canyon and I have a 2006 Colorado) The only thing saving me right now is that the tires look like they're bigger because the truck for sale has a lift kit (of course).

Coming here for support in NOT buying a parts truck is probably a bad decision.

Still, I couldn't make it to the PnP last time I was down in Edmonton because I didn't have the time. Having an extra truck around...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So I made another spurious purchasing decision.

was a flip up between that and a new kart. Probably should've gone with the kart based on the state my current one is in right now.

odiv posted:

Arg, why am I looking at a beater truck on the local classifieds? I'm trying to justify it to myself like, "It would be great for parts and it's only $1250." (for sale is a 2007 Canyon and I have a 2006 Colorado) The only thing saving me right now is that the tires look like they're bigger because the truck for sale has a lift kit (of course).

Coming here for support in NOT buying a parts truck is probably a bad decision.

Still, I couldn't make it to the PnP last time I was down in Edmonton because I didn't have the time. Having an extra truck around...

Its been 3 years since I was looking but trucks in that price range weren't even remotely driveable unless you got really lucky. You'd probably catch more desperate people looking to offload their pet project these days though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a funny lookin ducati

Also, the truck market has pretty much returned to normal, only with a couple model years completely missing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One other thing is we don't have regular inspections or emissions tests, that I'm aware of anyway. Out of province vehicles need to be inspected, but once they're in, they're in until they rust to the ground

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Common sense has prevailed because I'm not the guy who could make full use of this, but if anyone wants this as a data point here's the ad:

http://yktrader.com/classifieds/details?AN=164703

So yeah, beat to poo poo and some problems disclosed and not, but I was still considering it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

was a flip up between that and a new kart. Probably should've gone with the kart based on the state my current one is in right now.

Awesome. Come down south for a boring ride some weekend, or we should meet up at Waterton for lunch.

Also, don't die.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Weird looking CT70.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How is it that dealerships are allowed to sell deleted emissions diesels ? Let's pretend a dealer sells you a diesel pickup with egr/def/dpf deleted. If you complain to amvic is the dealer forced to restore it to factory emissions ?

Asking because I was looking at a Facebook ad for a 2012 ram 3500 Cummins with 130,000km and they were asking $54,000 for it. And they were advertising it as emissions deleted, from a Chrysler dealership.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think AMVIC will do anything, because AMVIC sucks.

I'd be curious what Environment Canada and Transport Canada would have to say about it, but they are probably too busy to really lift a finger.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya AMVIC is firmly in the pocket of dealers plus they're disclosing that there's no emissions stuff on it. I don't think you'd have a case.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The AMVIC inspection dealers have to do is pretty much bullshit and only fails vehicles with huge issues.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got all excited when 3 big backhoes showed up, but they're digging up a completely different part of the road.

I'll never get to park in front of my house again :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I got all excited when 3 big backhoes showed up, but they're digging up a completely different part of the road.

I'll never get to park in front of my house again :(

Get a few different colours of spray paint and try to make your own gay-acceptance rainbow crosswalk. The city will be by within seconds to get rid of it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Get a few different colours of spray paint and try to make your own gay-acceptance rainbow crosswalk. The city will be by within seconds to get rid of it.

I can't tell if this is a jab at Lethbridge or not.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Handen posted:

I can't tell if this is a jab at Lethbridge or not.

Red Deer makes Lethbridge look like a progressive utopia of intellectual salons.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Since the Western Canada LAN thread closed I figured I'd ask here. Anyone get into solar power? I'm thinking about getting some panels put in next spring.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Red Deer makes Lethbridge look like a progressive utopia of intellectual salons.

In the scheme of Alberta, lethbridge is pretty left wing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

odiv posted:

Since the Western Canada LAN thread closed I figured I'd ask here. Anyone get into solar power? I'm thinking about getting some panels put in next spring.

How much does your electricity cost? You get half as many hours of sunshine as places where it's barely economically feesable, and most of what you do get is at lovely angles, and going through all sorts of atmosphere and poo poo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think it's at 23. 5 cents per kWh right now. It's about an eleven year payback, for a ~$20k solar panel system, from what I've seen. Then you get up to $5k back from the government because they're really trying to encourage it up here.

We get less sun, but when we have it it's much longer days and very little cloud cover compared to a lot of other places.

I figured I'd see if anyone in northern (or anywhere) Alberta has had experience with it.

Scheduled an assessment with the local green energy group and then if the numbers look good I'll contact an actual solar contractor here for an estimate.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

odiv posted:

I am getting into it but just in lieu of a generator at the track so I doubt I'm going to be able to drop any advice.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Eleven year payback you say?

How often do you get baseball sized hail?

:thunk:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
He's well north of the Palliser triangle, I don't think the same vengence-from-the-skies weather patterns apply. But I don't know what Great Slave Lake can kick up and throw at Yellowknife, maybe it's just a colder version of London, Ontario's all-the-snow lake effect?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, no hail here, thankfully. Very little precipitation at all so mostly clear skies.

When I get some numbers from the assessment I'll share them if anyone's interested, but I just checked Edmonton's power rates so I can see why it's maybe not getting as much interest there.

(Maybe I'll check around in the DIY subforums.)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm just gonna come out and say that solar in Canada is not really a viable power source for large scale use without a ton of infrastructure investment. It will replace a lot of good farmland to generate enough power for our society.

Only way to make it useful on a large scale is to plug it into an enormous battery bank and mete it out gradually during the 24 hour period. Which is very expensive.

Solar on your house in Canada actually can exacerbate some problems here, you're increasing the power available on the distribution network at a time when it's already pretty high. Most homes are empty during the sunshine hours, or at least do not need a lot of power available to them at that time. Also if there's a local power outage, if your solar rig is back feeding onto the local, you can electrocute the lineman who's out trying to fix whatever's broken. When you get home and start turning on all your poo poo, the sun is starting to set, or is producing very little in your setup.

It can totally work, but I would build a large battery bank in the basement, size your cells accordingly (get a lot extra over what you think you'd need) and supplement with a little wind generator or two, and have a gas genset if you have something critical that needs power constantly.

and get a loving grid cut out if you're planning to back feed so you don't kill someone

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wasn't there an option in some states to sell the power back to the grid? That's the only way solar is gonna be viable, you collect it during the day in off peak hours, sell it to a third party that has a massive bank of batteries and can store it till it's actually needed.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The set up I'm looking at, there's no batteries involved (thank god), you get reimbursed for what you feed back into the system at the exact rate you pay for power. More realistically this just means you get a discount on your bill, because chances are you're not making money over top of your power usage. When I last checked about 8 years ago you would get the wholesale rate instead of retail for selling it back, and gently caress that. If you're looking at doing something like this the magic words are apparently "net metering".

During the day is when everyone is at work, the power consumption is pretty high. Sure, it spikes again in the evening when people are doing laundry and poo poo, but I'm pretty sure that pales next to all the workday activities. In any case, it's not like solar power here is going to be overwhelming the system with power. It's going to be producing a small fraction of what's used in any given day.

And yeah, the system has an automatic safety shut-off so that during a power outage it won't produce any power for you or feed any into the grid. While it'd be nice to be able to still have some power during an outage as they can get pretty common here during the summer, it's non-negotiable if your system is tied into the grid. There's also a super obvious manual shut off lever on the outside of the house.

This all sounds nice, but $15k after the $5k rebate isn't exactly pocket change. Though compared to when I reinsulated the house it's a lot easier to swallow. We'll see what the payback looks like, anyway.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Instead of electric solar, would solar heating be worth it instead? Would that even work in our frigid winters? I helped someone install a thermal setup when I was living in Europe, and it was pretty neat. The heated coolant went into a heat exchanger/thermal sink (replacing the water heater) and the excess thermal capacity went into the swimming pool. The thermal sink had its own heating element, so if you took a long shower at night or whatever you still had hot water.