Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Never not learn magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

UNLIMITED POWWAAAAHHHMagic.

I'm fine with the notes as they are.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Magic

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

super sweet best pal posted:

Politics Primer
Pay: 0.3
Instructor skill: 0

Vote: Politics

Magic isn't something you can learn just by going to one lecture without the context of proper instruction.

We're going to need to know about the politics of the realm if we're going to navigate, and thrive, in this city of nobles.

2. I've been posting the effects skills and rolls have had in-update where they appear, should I keep doing this or spoiler them at the end of updates?
Keep/Spoiler

I prefer to keep it the way it is; having the rolls visible for easy reference while I'm reading makes more sense.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

CourValant posted:

Magic isn't something you can learn just by going to one lecture without the context of proper instruction.
We won't "learn magic," but we will learn about magic, which will be helpful when it comes to doing business with magic-users.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You have to start from somewhere, and even a little knowledge can go a long way.

Also magic seems awfully relevant to know to design weapons to counter a magically corruptive enemy.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Xarbala posted:

You have to start from somewhere, and even a little knowledge can go a long way.

Also magic seems awfully relevant to know to design weapons to counter a magically corruptive enemy.

Good points, also there's probably some kind of runic magic out there that doesn't exactly require Magical talent, just knowledge and precision craftsmanship. We could totes get in on that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Voting closed. Assume an update eventually. ~80% done more or less.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You walk into the classroom and find a man in a long black robe napping at one of the desks. You cough to announce your presence and he wakes up with a jolt.

"Huh? What do you want," he asks before suddenly realizing what's going on, "Oh, the class. If you're looking to shoot fireballs you should've practiced harder for the warrior tests. If you're here to learn," he disappears mid-sentence and reappears behind the lectern at the front of the classroom, "welcome to Icecove's magic class! I'm Bert Icecove, former rising star of the magic world, before I got stuck teaching these classes, but I assume you're not here to hear my thoughts on the king's ideas of community service, so if you're still interested, let's talk magic.

"First let's talk about what magic is not. Magic is not a science, nor is it miracles. If science can be likened to a loyal dog and the gods an affectionate but independent cat, magic is a feral beast, impossible to tame but easy to predict. Spellcasting then, is chasing the wild beast of magic into a snare.

"Now, what is it? That's a bit harder to define. It affects the world similar to a miracle, but elves who had learned to use magic said it was different than the power of the gods, lacking in raw strength compared to what they could do. We've pinned down rules to using magic successfully, but they're not a hard science and follow a logic all their own that often doesn't make sense.

"Think of it like a produce cart," he continues, picking up an apple from behind the lectern as a visual aide, "A farmer plants an orchard, tends to the trees as they grow, then harvests once the trees have matured and born fruit, then the fruit is taken to market and put on display. That's science. Now, what if instead of filling that cart with fruit, you filled it with rocks? What if you poured apple juice on those rocks and told them they were apples until that's what they decided to be? That's magic - and yes, I have transmuted rocks into organic matter that way.

"Take this apple," he says as he slices it in half, "do you think it's a real apple or a rock made fruit? "The answer is if you succeed, there's zero fundamental difference after the fact. With magic, cause and effect don't matter as much as the end result. Catch."

He tosses the apple across the room. You fumble with it.

"That's what you get when you use orange juice. Different rules, different logic, you see now? You can't graft a branch from an apple tree onto an orange tree and get this naturally. I'm told you can't even do it at all since they're not in the same family of trees. You can do it with magic since they're both plants and magic plays fast and loose with reality. To summarize, magic lets us do otherwise impossible things to achieve otherwise impossible goals or better do the already possible.

"So now you've got the basics of the what and why and magic, let's move onto the how."

He taps the blackboard with his wand and words appear on it. He points at each entry on the list and gives a brief summary in turn.

Fey magic - The lost art of tapping directly into the world's energy "Ah, the fey, the mythical ultimate magic. No one alive is capable of doing this, so it's only historically relevant; only the faries could do it and it gave them a degree of control over magic we can only dream of. Lost after the Corruption changed them and their kin."
Invocation - Expending one's personal energy to create a magical effect "Of the still extant forms of magic, this is the least efficient, yet most versatile. Personal magical energy, referred to by mages as 'mana', can be expended through sheer force of will to affect reality. It's primarily affected by the caster's intent but chanting and gesture affect it as well. The other drawback of Incantation is it's hard to remember all the spells that'll be rattling around in your head; hence why all mages keep a spellbook on hand. The magic they infuse into the book helps organize their thoughts."
Channeling - Forcing your natural mana into a conduit "Channeling is far more efficient than Invocation but on its own it's limited to whatever spells are built into the conduit. Legend has it Ellipsia taught the secrets of channeling to humans after the faries refused to share their magic in a time of need; meanwhile, the dwarves had somehow discovered it on their own somehow, it's been so long they've forgotten. It is possible to hybridize Channeling with Invocation to alter the spell on the conduit; a wand of flame could have its heat effect changed to freeze something or produce non-burning light instead of a fire. A practiced mage will use this to strike a good balance between efficiency and flexibility."
Alchemy - Expending raw material in place of mana "Chemistry used to be considered part of alchemical magic, though scientists eventually discovered a non-magical logic behind it. Take that apple and how it's an orange inside. The material you use to create magic is very important. Suppose it had been made with apple juice, the type of apple could affect the spell's ultimate effect and potency. Juice from apples picked from the tree affect it differently than apples that fell on their own. Pouring it on rocks that naturally look like apples have different effectiveness than rocks carved into apple shapes or even generic ones. Using a minor invocation to aide the reaction works differently than an alchemical reactant."
Geomancy, Astrology and Divination - The effects the world, sky and portents have on spells "Most modern mages believed these to be superstition for some time, but interest was renewed after some who frequently used the same spells noted increased and decreased spell effectiveness at certain times or places. Even the most minute change in the land or sky, or even minor changes in the caster's demeanor or actions can have an effect on a spell. Many dedicated mages will spend time gauging the feel of the land, reading star maps, casting their fortunes and even seeking favor of the gods and the people to gain an edge on their spells."
Ritual magic - Combining all disciplines of magic, using complex rules to create powerful spells "The most powerful magic that still exists, equal in strength to the fey but taking far longer to perform. Takes a fair bit of space, time and material to perform a ritual as it incorporates every lesser methodology into applying a spell. If you want to spend hours on the night of a full moon with some weirdos chanting and flailing around a magic circle in a room made of solid electrum that reeks of burnt blood, be my guest. The trick with the orange was a simpler ritual but even that took a long time."

"Get all that? Now let's talk mana. Mages measure mana pools using the smallest amount of mana possible to expend; this is called a "point" of magic. We use the abbreviation MP to refer to someone's Mana Pool and the measure of how many base spells it can cast."

He snaps his fingers and a small flame appears in the air above his hand for a second. "I can do that a hundred times a day. Handy when I need to ignite an alchemical mixture and don't want to strike a match. Did you take the military aptitude tests? They should have measured that."

You recall the summary of your test, MP: 2, you didn't know what it meant other than you lacked magic so you ignored it.

"Ok, let's cover some basic types of magical effects that can be produced." Another tap on the board, another list of words appears, this time without written details.

Conjuring - "I could have conjured that flame from nothing, or maybe an illusion of a flame."
Transmuting - "Or did I change some of the air into fire like I changed that rock into an orange apple?"
Augmenting - "Or did I conjure a much smaller flame and make it bigger?"
Scrying - "Or did I make you see a flame that was burning somewhere else?"
Sapping - "Maybe I drained enough cold from a specific area of the room until it caught fire."
Abjuration - "Maybe I destroyed the concept of cold entirely for that air. Yeah, bad examples."
Animating - "Ok, time to forget the flame since I haven't figured out an analogy. This effect at its simplest makes things move around."

"There are several more types of magical effects and it's even possible to combine several to gain the result you want. Like I said before, it's not about cause or effect, but the result. I could summon a bridge across a river, I could freeze the river, I could teleport across, I could even animate some boulders so they walked into the river and formed a path. I'd get to the other side no matter what I did, but some ways have more efficient MP costs than others and have more drastic consequences. The best mages aren't the ones with the biggest mana pools, but the most clever."

"That should be enough to help you keep up with any conversations about magic you might have. I've written up a brief synopsis of what we just covered, feel free to read it in your spare time if you forget."

A couple papers appear next to the orange on your desk. Everything seems to be on the first page and the second contains something else.

code:
Simple Identification
Scrying
Cost: 1 MP
Will detect if an object can be used to focus channeled magic and identify effects it is capable of producing and the mana required to cast them
"You came here to learn magic, right? Wouldn't be much of a magic class if you didn't actually learn any. Try casting it on that focusing crystal I handed you."

The orange suddenly disappears in a flash of light, leaving a small geode in its place. Glancing at the parchment again, you suddenly find yourself able to cast the spell.

code:
Focusing Crystal
Stores mana channeled into it, which can be released at a later time.
0/10 MP stored
"Ok, now channel your remaining mana into the crystal. It works like the glowstones they use in the warrior tests, so try to remember that feeling."

You focus on the crystal, barely recalling what happened back then.

"Tapped out? Don't worry, it'll come back after a good night's rest; you'll gain more with practice. If you have any specific questions, just ask."

Question time while I write the next update.

Xarbala posted:

Blasphemaster posted:

Good points, also there's probably some kind of runic magic out there that doesn't exactly require Magical talent, just knowledge and precision craftsmanship. We could totes get in on that.

You say that since you don't have much magic, you're interested in focusing on magic items as part of your apprenticeship.

"Supplies, huh? My advice, concentrate on the fundamentals of channeling and alchemy and keep Identifying magic items to build up your MP. You should probably stay away from invocation for now since few spells beyond Identify would be useful and you'd need a spellbook anyway.
"I think the dwarves use runes to denote the spells built into their gear. Not magic themselves, the real magic's in the lines and circles of conductive materials woven into the equipment to turn it into a conduit. Circles are a sort of well that the magic goes into, where it's focused. Lines, or arcs, transmit the energy through the conduit.

http://orokos.com/roll/621361 6! You learned a lot from this class, including a basic utility spell.

Gained Knowledge: Magic - Basics [10/10] <LEVEL UP>
-> Knowledge: Magic - General [0/30]
-> Knowledge: Magic - Theoretical [0/50]
Gained Knowledge: Magic - Invocation - Basic [3/20]
Gained Skill: Invocation - Basic [1/25]
Gained Skill: Scrying - Basic [1/25]
Learned Spell: Identify (simple)
Gained Knowledge: Magic - Channeling - Basic [3/20]
Gained Knowledge: Magic - Alchemy - Basic [1/20]
Gained Knowledge: Magic - Signs and Portents - Basic knowledge
Gained Knowledge: Magic - Rituals - Basic [1/25]
MP: 0/2 [1/5]
Creativity gained exp [3/4]
Gained: Class Synopsis

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 15, 2018

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Neat! So, we've learnt the spell permantly now, but I guess he didn't give us the crystal? Getting to suck the MP of random students might be useful for the wizard teaching, I guess.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Would practicing our magic every night cost us anything, for now at least? Our pool is so minuscule that it looks like it wouldn't take us more than a couple minutes just before bed every night to drain it by chain-casting Scrying or filling up the crystal (if he let us keep it), so it shouldn't really cut into our free time, right? At least not while our pool is so tiny, anyways, once it grows we'd obviously have to dedicate more effort to it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What would we scry, though? We don't have anything magical to identify.

A good idea tho

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Slaan posted:

A good idea tho

What would we scry!? We're a teenage boy.

What about our hot friend from the ride into town?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Look at the spell description. Scry in this case is more of a detect magic/identify than a far sight

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Just run around and check every single item in the shop to see if it's secretly magical. And then double check.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 15, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Question time while I write the next update.

Hey Icecove . . .

. . . what did you do that got you sentenced to teaching? Couldn't have been that bad if you're not in jail?

. . . I'm going to be a gunsmith, any ideas on how to incorporate magic into my craft?

. . . am I a wizard now?

. . . what where you doing before being a teacher?

. . . how were you an up and coming mage?

. . . you seem like a cool guy, keep in touch? Maybe we can collaborate in the future?

. . . how goes the war?

. . . do you know a lot of elves/dwarves/fairies/nobles?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Slaan posted:

Look at the spell description. Scry in this case is more of a detect magic/identify than a far sight

Bah, I was basing it on this:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I mentioned enchanting as an interest, but I've been toying with the idea of ammunition that can take down hardened targets without having to fully penetrate. Say, a round that has enough power and design characteristics to get though layers of armor, but then delivers a magical effect of some kind. Imagine a specialized round that can blow up a Doom Knight or a Wyvern or something from the inside. Do you think such a thing could be done?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Would practicing our magic every night cost us anything, for now at least? Our pool is so minuscule that it looks like it wouldn't take us more than a couple minutes just before bed every night to drain it by chain-casting Scrying or filling up the crystal (if he let us keep it), so it shouldn't really cut into our free time, right? At least not while our pool is so tiny, anyways, once it grows we'd obviously have to dedicate more effort to it.

"You would get worn out after a few days without taking a break. Warriors have an advantage when learning magic, their physical endurance training contributes to their magical endurance as well. Common alchemical herbs help too, the local drug stores carry herbal supplements."

Slaan posted:

A good idea tho

"All sorts of items can be used to channel magic, whether or not that was the intent behind them. Objects designed for mundane use don't work as well as items designed with magical intent. Material plays a big part in it even when it's not Take a plain iron candlestick with an ordinary tallow candle, probably couldn't channel a decent fire spell through it, if at all. Now a gold candlestick with a candle made from beeswax, that could be used to channel a stronger fire spell. A specially designed magic candlestick and a candle made from the fat of an animal raised on an alchemically formulated diet, that would yield a significant conflagration - that's a fancy word for a large, out of control fire."

CourValant posted:

Hey Icecove . . .

. . . what did you do that got you sentenced to teaching? Couldn't have been that bad if you're not in jail?

"It feels like a sentence some days. Punishment for trying to rise above my station. No, the king requires all students to share their knowledge with the kingdom before they're permitted to receive a Doctorate. One of his wartime initiatives, increases the skill base of the citizenry so there's never a shortage of skilled labor. Suppose a local laborer spends a few earning beer money by attending community classes and has amassed quite a few hours in basic chemistry and medicine. Now, let's say an epidemic breaks out somewhere and an apothecary needs extra workers to brew medicine but doesn't have time to train them. The laborer checks the local job boards and sees a notice the apothecary posted offering good pay for skilled assistants. Everyone wins, at least in theory.

Then you've got edge cases like mine. Few people need the service of a mage and there's a surplus of trained mages from the war, so there's not much demand to learn. Bribing people to attend classes isn't covered by scholarships, so I'm stuck attending other classes to save up money most of the time. The rules say I can't attend the same class twice, so I'm unable to save up enough extra money to offer this late in the summer. I still list my classes, hoping that someone wanders in.

CourValant posted:

. . . I'm going to be a gunsmith, any ideas on how to incorporate magic into my craft?

"Guns? I've heard rumors about Warriors using them instead of staves. Too many unknown variables for my comfort but it could produce interesting results. Think I'll ask around this fall."

CourValant posted:

. . . am I a wizard now?

"No. The title of wizard takes years of training to achieve. You'd either need to distinguish yourself as a Warrior of exceptional magical talent or earn a Doctorate of Thaumaturgy like I've been trying to. Thaumaturgy is the combined term for magic and miracles; Church mandate requires some courses on the latter before we can earn one.

"There are very few veteran mages here who'd earned the title of Wizard in the military, and there are a lot of mages here who served. The few who did are given the rank of Sorcerer once they earn their Doctorate."

CourValant posted:

. . . what where you doing before being a teacher?

CourValant posted:

. . . how were you an up and coming mage?

"I was born with a large mana pool, so the military tried to train me as a warrior. Long story short, aside from my high MP and a natural affinity for the craft, I made a terrible Warrior. Fortunately, the College of Magic is always looking out for people like that, so they offered me a scholarship and things were going well until I was forced to complete the mandatory teaching requirement. It's been five years since I finished my thesis (a brilliant piece on the effects the Feast of Saint Soulstremble has had on magic cast on that holiday since it was first declared). My work is frequently published in the Journal of Magery. I've tried to convince the school and the government to give me some sort of exemption with no success."

CourValant posted:

. . . you seem like a cool guy, keep in touch? Maybe we can collaborate in the future?

Sure, I've taken over a small, unwanted empty office in the Magic building, so if you have any questions just write. Dean Aurochs looks the other way since I'll be getting one eventually.

CourValant posted:

. . . how goes the war?

"Fine I guess, I don't keep up with it beyond the fact that we're not dead or turned into mindless soldiers of the forces of evil.

CourValant posted:

. . . do you know a lot of elves/dwarves/fairies/nobles?

"I've met one troll who'd lived before the Corruption, Professor Aurochs. He's the Dean of the university's mage faculty. His scholarship is the reason I was able to come here after I washed out of the Warrior program. The legends say he used to be a powerful fairy with the head of a bull who'd bless the fields and the beasts that grazed them with his magic. He's got strong opinions on what magic should and shouldn't be.

"There are quite a few dwarven professors in the channeling and alchemy departments. Some artisans, regardless of race, choose to earn a degree after they've finished their service as state merchants, burying themselves in research instead of continuing on as master craftsmen.

"This place is lousy with the children of the nobility and rich merchants. That's another part of why there's a teaching requirement for a postgraduate degree. The king worries that even with the apprenticeship program and scholarships for talented persons, they'll still monopolize the kingdom's skill and use it to take over. I'd say he's paranoid but he might have a point, there used to be several bookstores in this part of town, but then a new one came and started churning out cheap books, then after most of the competition was priced out of business, they raised the prices on their books to match what the old stores used to charge.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Bah, I was basing it on this:

"Scrying is the magic of knowledge. Ask a skilled farseer to scry a building and they'd make you suddenly know everything there is to know about it. What it's made of, who lives there and what their typical routines are, how many things are in it; assuming you destroyed the warding runes every building has against scrying.

Blasphemaster posted:

I mentioned enchanting as an interest, but I've been toying with the idea of ammunition that can take down hardened targets without having to fully penetrate. Say, a round that has enough power and design characteristics to get though layers of armor, but then delivers a magical effect of some kind. Imagine a specialized round that can blow up a Doom Knight or a Wyvern or something from the inside. Do you think such a thing could be done?

"It's possible, but I suspect you could do a lot of those things conventionally. You'd have far better luck doing that naturally and using magic to make it more effective or produce some additional effect.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
So we can KNOW what her boobs look like, but we can't see them in action.

Got it.

I'm loving kidding, but thank you for the explanation

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

You know any skilled alchemists interested in explosives my dude, especially one that does these weekend classes that isn't an idiot like some of these guys?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Got it.

What?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Got it.

Im missing something here. Someone mock me for missing it prior to informing me as is the goon way.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I interpreted it as "scrying will grant you knowledge of what and whom is inside, as well as more detailed information on everyone/everything not covered by a scrying ward, but it isn't actually looking in a visual sense, but knowing." So you might find out the orcish barmaid renting the flat upstairs hates carrots, has a fondness for badly written romance novellas and has D cup boobs, but you will never see those glorious viridian mounds.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

My life is a shambles moving rapidly towards homeownership. I need a Rusty Nail with Laphroig.

Anyway it's fine. We'll attract all the [insert sexual preference to be determined by the goonmind] we want once we figure out our stuff. And then we are immediately smitten by an infiltrator with a heart of gold and blah blah etc.etc. because that is how fun works.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Blasphemaster posted:

My life is a shambles moving rapidly towards homeownership. I need a Rusty Nail with Laphroig.

Anyway it's fine. We'll attract all the [insert sexual preference to be determined by the goonmind] we want once we figure out our stuff. And then we are immediately smitten by an infiltrator with a heart of gold and blah blah etc.etc. because that is how fun works.

Congrats! Mine is in shambles, post-home ownership, puppy, and now impending marriage.

I'm not interested in our guy having a love life, honestly, I just like bewb jokes.

Make sure you get the loving sewer inspected! Mine just cost me thousands due to a crushed pipe under my driveway :downs: Would not recommend.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Blasphemaster posted:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Make sure you get the loving sewer inspected! Mine just cost me thousands due to a crushed pipe under my driveway :downs: Would not recommend.

Not just sewer inspection, pay for the full pre-purchase home inspection (check your state's real estate associations guidelines).

You wouldn't believe some of the shady things home sellers do to hide problems at their property.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Slaan posted:

You know any skilled alchemists interested in explosives my dude, especially one that does these weekend classes that isn't an idiot like some of these guys?

"None right now. Check back this winter; fall is too soon, it takes time to gauge the rating of an instructor fresh of their Masters degree.
"You could always write a letter to Professor Alfred Chertborer, the University's head of geology and mineralogy. He specializes in both the scientific and magical properties of rocks and could answer any questions about their effects in both alchemy and channeling. He's usually busy with his classes or acting as speaker for his dwarven clan in Parliament but I'm sure he'd be willing to take time to answer a letter. In the meantime I'd recommend his volume Minerals, Metals and Gems."

You thank Mr Icecove for his class and drop off the form at the window of the office in the main hall and head back to the bookstore.

"Took you long enough," Gunther says disinterestedly as you walk back through the door, "Waste of time even when it pays."

You mention it actually paid an identification spell but he doesn't seem impressed. "Let's get back to business. Don't know about you but I've got big plans for the evening."

The books you picked out are on the counter. Gunther assures you the rest will be traded back as store credit. You take one last look at what you're getting.

An improperly aligned Aesthetics 101 with parts of the illustrations and text off the edge of the page. You wouldn't learn much about the designs you can see, but you'd get some cultural exposure.
A Bestiary of Terror with too much ink on some pages and not enough on others. You'd learn of very few monsters if you tried to read it.
One of the inert spellbooks looks perfectly fine as a regular book and could be repurposed as a journal.
One of several thin copies of Thaumaturgy and Sacred Geometry that only have a few chapters. You'd be able to learn the basic theory but would miss out on the commonly used designs and their effects and the section on sacred geometry.
A poorly bound Secrets of Royal Chefs. A few pages have fallen out and gotten lost. It might make an ok gift for Brad next time you see him, assuming he's interested in expanding his culinary skills beyond baked and preserved goods.
A book on Goatsbridge's history. Its pages are out of order and some are upside-down but it's all there.
A perfectly fine book with a mess of a cover. m̷̢̓Ī̵̟ñ̵̯e̷̼̽R̶̥̍L̷͎͗s̴̤̎,̷̜̊ ̴̝̇M̵̙͠É̵̖t̸͝ͅä̴̱́l̵̫̏d̴͙̆ ̶̹̈́a̴̗̅n̷̘̅D̴͖͐ ̴̥̊G̵̭̅ę̵͝m̸̺̀Z̴̨̓ Apparently it's a book on the properties of rocks, metal and gemstones, especially their magical ones. A handy reference if you wanted to build guns with an emphasis for channeling magic.

"Ok, with the credit from trading those back in, you've probably got enough for a couple of the cheaper books. Don't worry, I'll make up for it with the cash I earned if you're a bit short."

You're surprised that Gunther already knows how to calculate the trade-in values on the books after only working a week. You've mostly been learning fundamentals of the manufacturing side over and over.

Books of interest
Thaumaturgic and Sacred Geometry: A Primer - A basic guide to shapes and lines used as a conduit for magic or as holy symbols.
Applied Physics & Everyday Objects - Beginning applied physics, there's a chapter on guns.
Bestiary of Terror - A book on commonly encountered creatures beyond the western border, their observed abilities and (when possible) biology. Also contains tips on distinguishing Corruption from "bad vibes".
Tricks of Trade - How to run a business, tips on value of goods, common scams and how to spot them and other basic tips.
[i]Aesthetics 101 Coursebook
- A basic art primer. You could probably glean design ideas from it.
There are also wizards' spellbooks on display in an alcove at the back of the store. They hover mystically above the lecterns and glow faintly.

Pick two to receive pristine copies. Write-in votes for books on other subjects are also welcome.

A working spellbook would take an entire year's worth of an apprentice's wages. You probably won't be able to afford one any time soon.
Icecove mentioned the book on minerals was a good primer on both channeling and alchemical properties of materials and here you've already found a perfectly good copy except for the mangled cover.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pick two to receive pristine copies. Write-in votes for books on other subjects are also welcome.

Applied Physics & Everyday Objects, and I'm torn between Aesthetics 101 and Tricks of Trade. This is providing I'm reading that correctly and we are keeping the copy of Minerals, Metals and Gems.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

This is providing I'm reading that correctly and we are keeping the copy of Minerals, Metals and Gems.

The only real reason to get a good one is it'd look nicer on your bookshelf. Though if for some reason you wanted the Professor's autograph, an actual for-sale copy would have more decorum than one you pulled out of a pulping bin.

You could also give up on the reject pile completely and just get three good books at full benefit, but you wouldn't be able to extract trace amounts of knowledge from the rest of the damaged ones.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The only real reason to get a good one is it'd look nicer on your bookshelf. Though if for some reason you wanted the Professor's autograph, an actual for-sale copy would have more decorum than one you pulled out of a pulping bin.

You could also give up on the reject pile completely and just get three good books at full benefit, but you wouldn't be able to extract trace amounts of knowledge from the rest of the damaged ones.

Why wouldn't we want the author's autograph? That would be spiffy! I'm going to have to amend my vote then. Applied Physics, and MMG

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

Also contains tips on distinguishing Corruption from "bad vibes".

We want this.

Bestiary of Terror

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Applied Physics & Everyday Objects as well as Thaumaturgic and Sacred Geometry: A Primer

How guns work, and how to make them magical. Seems like a pretty good combo for the aspiring gunwizard we are

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Get a blank book from the toss-pile as well. We will need to take notes and send letters off.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Vote:

Thaumaturgic and Sacred Geometry: A Primer
Tricks of Trade

I'm also assuming that we keep the rest from the reject pile, especially Minerals, Metals and Gems.

By the way, I've heard some really good things about the following, thing we can snag a reject copy as well?

~Of Nobles and Nobility: An understanding of the Ruling Class.

~War - What is it good for? A Brief History on the struggle against the Evil Empire.

~Games and Theory: Playing to win, and getting your opponents to defeat themselves.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You make your choice. "Ok, looks like you've got about enough for both of those." Gunther takes most of your money, leaving you with barely enough for cab fare for the rest of the month. "Thanks again, I owe you for this." Books in hand, you leave the store and board the carriage back to the market.

"Changed yer mind 'bout the classes," the driver asks, same driver from when you came here. You reply affirmatively. "Smart idea. Too many washed-up failed apprentices in the bars complainin' they ne'er had enough resources or ne'er learned enough beyond the basics 'cause their masters were terrible mentors."

You pass by the homes of the nobility. There's an stillness in this district, broken only by the occasional grocery cart delivering food to a manor. As you approach the east end of the district you see a much larger building.

"That's the opera house," she replies when you ask "ne'er cared for it, I prefer ta go ta the plays an' variety shows they put on up on the north side theata."

The park is still nice. The part you slept through on the way over is as tranquil as the other side and again you feel relaxed and find yourself dozing off...

You wake up, jostled as the carriage hits a loose brick. You're back in the market. Specialty shops selling all kinds of things surround the road. Ahead you can see some sort of commotion. A police officer steps into the road and stops the carriage.

"Road's closed, bank robbery. You'll have to go around."

"Of all tha luck," the driver says, "An' this was the last ride of my shift, I was looking forward ta packing it in and goin' home. drat Wyrm's Eye."

You ask the driver what she meant as she doubles back across a side street. "Wyrms're one'a the two big gangs in the city. I assume t'were them since the east side'a town is considered their territory. 'Bout a decade ago they started showing up and took o'er the manufacturin'. Used ta be they'd get a strike goin' one day and get paid ta bust it up the next. That stopped a couple'a years ago, people caught on, now they mostly stick ta the shadows, running their protection rackets and sabotage jobs, tryin' ta avoid the law. An' we're here."

The walk back to the ferry is much faster now that you know where to go. Waiting for the workmen to unload the cargo takes only a third of the time, but it's still very dull. As you sit at the dock waiting, a paperboy wanders over, shouting the headline of today's paper at anyone who will listen.

"Train robber caught! Rest of gang still at large! Read all about it!"

You ask about the train robbery. "They blew up a mountain last week, caused an avalanche that blocked off the tracks up north," he replies, "wanna to know more, you gotta buy a paper."

Your current funds are somewhere around [0.1], spend about a quarter of that on the weekend paper?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I know the goon reflex is to go the whole Batman-Assassin route, but we're broke and we can potentially make stuff what is good for fighting with, but we can't do the fighting ourselves. Play it safe, we're a student PC.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Blasphemaster posted:

I know the goon reflex is to go the whole Batman-Assassin route, but we're broke and we can potentially make stuff what is good for fighting with, but we can't do the fighting ourselves. Play it safe, we're a student PC.
This makes sense to me. Let's keep our head down. If we want to make waves, the time is once we graduate, and the method is with glorious magicannons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is extremely not our problem.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

This is extremely not our problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nah