Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Geothermal energy storage works pretty well for heating and cooling a house if you have a big enough "well", the workings are pretty complex in practice but simple in idea.

You just need heat exchangers, pipes, pumps, some kind of fluid, radiators, and a little energy to move the fluid around and work the valves.

That works anywhere that has seasons though. Store heat in the ground in summer, suck it out in winter. I'm grossly simplifying the process, of course.

But tl;dr, sure, it can work. There just aren't many out of the box solution providers.

Passive solar heating can certainly work as well, just just need a gently caress ton of insulation and the right kind of windows. And to hope it doesn't stay cloudy for a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, geothermal heating/cooling sounds pretty sweet and is relatively well known. but I’m talking solar heating via panels you put in your roof which heat a coolant that is then run into a heat exchanger to heat a households hot water.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Alberta AI: gently caress Gas, Solar's Where It's At

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm still salty that the nuke plant near Peace River was DOA.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

I'm still salty that the nuke plant near Peace River was DOA.

Same. That should have been a loving slam dunk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh god, don't get me started. The people that constantly derail projects like that literally don't even know the most basic things about nuclear plants other than NUKES=:supaburn:

You should have to do even the most basic scientific literacy/awareness test before you have the right to freak the gently caress out.

Such as, that banana you put on your granola for breakfast literally will expose you to more radioactivity then the plant you are freaking out about is going to give you living next door to it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also potatoes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Was the northern Alberta nuclear power plant killed by public antipathy or a cost-benefit analysis?

I seem to remember the decision to not build it was based on a fairly simple cost-benefit analysis that determined the overall financial benefit of building a nuke plant to power the processing facility for oil sands production was pretty small, and there was a lot of uncertainty about things like budget overruns on other recent nuke plant construction projects. I also seem to remember the plant would supply electricity only to the industrial facilities, and would not be normally providing power to the grid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't remember the specifics of why it was actually not pursued, but I do remember it was the first time I came across "professional protesters." I lived in GP at the time and there was an anti-nuclear power rally downtown and no poo poo, most of the cars parked around it had out of province plates. I remember thinking WTF is going on and then it dawned on me.

In other news, heard on the radio that Environment Canada has issued the seasonal forecast and Lethbridge and area is expected to have several days this summer of temps approaching 40C. :supaburn:

Luckily, there is nothing left of Waterton to burn :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

I don't remember the specifics of why it was actually not pursued, but I do remember it was the first time I came across "professional protesters." I lived in GP at the time and there was an anti-nuclear power rally downtown and no poo poo, most of the cars parked around it had out of province plates. I remember thinking WTF is going on and then it dawned on me.

In other news, heard on the radio that Environment Canada has issued the seasonal forecast and Lethbridge and area is expected to have several days this summer of temps approaching 40C. :supaburn:

Luckily, there is nothing left of Waterton to burn :(

The idea of the reactor died when oil prices crashed in 08-09. Well that, and also because there is no leadership in business in this province.

And yeah, it looks like we're in for a carbon copy of last summer, but potentially even hotter and drier.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ayup. The only benefit is this year there is more snowpack so hopefully there won't be any flow shortages for water this year.

Either that, or next week when it's supposed to rain for a bit it'll start melting so fast in the mountains it'll be a replay of 2013.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

2013 had something like 92+mm of rain in a single day in the mountains so as long as it doesn't approach that level we'll be ok.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Off-road vehicle ban pretty much everywhere around GP but not GP yet. Its getting really dry out there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When the HELL did they stop selling those Dad's chocolate coated cookie variety packs!!!??? :argh:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

When the HELL did they stop selling those Dad's chocolate coated cookie variety packs!!!??? :argh:

like 4-5 years ago? they still sell em all separately and really, you're just here for the goodie rings and you know it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ah hell no man, I happily ate them all. I'm man enough to admit I've eaten the best part of an entire box in 1 sitting before with multiple glasses of milk.

goodie rings probably were my favorite though, although I'd probably think they're too sweet now

That is a bummer though.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
About solar, does a small setup generate enough juice to power a plug-in car? I'm looking at the plug-in hybrid Volvo XC60 and since my wife is home during the day it might actually be feasible.

I mean, technically, almost certainly not economically.

MrChips posted:

And yeah, it looks like we're in for a carbon copy of last summer, but potentially even hotter and drier.
Heh, 'carbon copy'.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You'd have to define small.

I've got a what I consider a small setup which is basically a smaller panel hooked up to a large deep cycle battery that I'm going to be charging my kart's total loss ignition system, run some lights and charge power tools. I doubt you'd get a full on hybrid car running off that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A GOOD modern crystaline panel will net you 290 watts in perfect sunlight. a plug-in hybrid will only have a ~7kwh battery, so a full 12 hours of sunlight will give you about 1/2 a charge per day. 90% coverage only gets you like 50% power. a little bit of could will ruin your poo poo.

Even with Calgary being the sunniest city in canada, calgary, it would take effort on your part to make the panel pay for itself.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

1500quidporsche posted:

You'd have to define small.

I've got a what I consider a small setup which is basically a smaller panel hooked up to a large deep cycle battery that I'm going to be charging my kart's total loss ignition system, run some lights and charge power tools. I doubt you'd get a full on hybrid car running off that.
South half of my garage is about 30x15', so "up to that size." And I'm in Edmonton which unfortunately is less sunny and further north than Calgary.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So uhhh, may have gone a little overkill on the solar panel set up for the kart. Charged the kart battery up thinking it'd just slowly charge over the next day or so. Went and turned some laps then just checked the solar charger and it showed the main battery was fully charged. Now granted it was pretty sunny yesterday but I was still expecting atleast a day to top up the main battery.

Any ideas what I should do with this surplus power? I'm already looking at getting some LED lights but I'd be interested to hear what ideas you guys would have.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1500quidporsche posted:

Any ideas what I should do with this surplus power? I'm already looking at getting some LED lights but I'd be interested to hear what ideas you guys would have.

Add underglow to the kart (separate system entirely, new battery, etc). Should be possible to make it light enough that it's not noticable. Add Mario kart sound track as well?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Add Mario kart sound track as well?

THIS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sell mobile phone charging like the mall does.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I'm living in Yellowknife and am considering buying a used car / truck / etc while in Alberta en route to PEI early in July.

Do cars really cost less in Wetaskiwin?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Newf posted:

I'm living in Yellowknife and am considering buying a used car / truck / etc while in Alberta en route to PEI early in July.

Depends. How much is your soul worth to you?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Slung Blade posted:

Depends. How much is your soul worth to you?

Well I'm going to be passing through anyway...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Make sure you stop at the Reynold's museum. It's absolutely worth a visit.

I mean I guess the cars can be had cheap if you're saavy.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh poo poo, another Yellowknifer. Be cool odiv, be cool.

(but yeah, probably shop in AB. I was impatient and bought locally)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
What are the good pickapart/salvage yards around Calgary? I need to find two 17" wheels for winter for my Grand Prix. I'm heading up on friday for something unrelated with time to spare so I figure it might be worthwhile to start the search early.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Handen posted:

What are the good pickapart/salvage yards around Calgary? I need to find two 17" wheels for winter for my Grand Prix. I'm heading up on friday for something unrelated with time to spare so I figure it might be worthwhile to start the search early.

The Pick & Pull on Barlow does a good job of setting out wheel + tire combos, but you'll pay for them. Pick & Pull 52nd seems to be less good at putting out the wheels, but same prices.

Bucks has changed hands and yards since I was last there, so your guess is as good as mine, but last time they had wheels and tires put out as well.

Figure out what other cars the wheels interchange with, and you'll probably be able to find an ok deal. 17" could be tricky since that probably eliminates most steelies.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Newf posted:

I want to hear more about your plans.

Are you planning to drive your new-to-you vehicle from AB to PEI in July? How long is your planned trip - straight through Iron Driver style or a longer exploration of the (vast) (unending) countryside? I've done the drive between The West and Ontario / Quebec a few times, what's your trip going to be like?

I bought my truck in Alberta in May of 2015 because I needed something to move my too-abundant stuff from Saskatoon to southern Ontario later that summer (it's a long and boring story, but the short version is: success). I still have my 1997 Ranger, and I've since put in some decent multiple of her purchase price of $2500 in the form of maintenance and out-of-province registration and insurance stuff.

What's your budget? What are you going to use this vehicle for? How much of a hurry are you in to buy it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey I can't remember if I asked this earlier, but does anyone have a recommendation for wheel refinishers? The 993 turbo twists on the 996 have a bit of curb rash from the previous owners that annoy me, and I'm scared if I tried anything myself I'd make it worse.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Driving through Taber this am. Gas jumped from 126.9 to 140.9.

Surprised it took this long considering most long weekends it jumps Weds or Thursday latest.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Driving through Taber this am. Gas jumped from 126.9 to 140.9.

Surprised it took this long considering most long weekends it jumps Weds or Thursday latest.

NO COLLUSION

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Still 123.9 here.

I'll just add that to the list of reasons not to go through Taber.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You don't need more reasons.

Also, which one of you was this?
https://twitter.com/AlbertaSheriffs/status/1012799603907833858

It's almost understandable if they're trying to get out of Ponoka though.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

slidebite posted:

I saw a gunmetal grey Lamborghini Aventador in Lethbridge today, going south through the 6th Ave/5th St S intersection at like 5km/h to avoid scraping the poo poo out of itself. There's your suspect, officer.

If it's local it brings the total up to four Lambos in Lethbridge that I'm aware of: a green Huracan, a yellow Gallardo, a black Diablo SV, and now a grey Aventador.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Sounds to me like they're saying "don't speed unless you're gonna do 279 then you'll get away with it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Sounds to me like they're saying "don't speed unless you're gonna do 279 then you'll get away with it".

Ponoka cop cars are only factory tuned. If you can do better than 180 km/h, they can’t catch you. So they don’t even try.