Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's okay, Tony Abbott is here to bring sense and decorum to this argument:

Man, can't have a former mayor and person actually living in Sydney tell us what's going on, we need a Queenslander and "social media" (all of it? wow!) to tell us what's really up

lmao if you think that clown* has a clue what’s happening in Sydney

*any of them. all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Luke “I live in Concord” Foley

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I would be surprised if Tony Abbott could actually tell you a true fact about anything that is happening anywhere in the universe.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AbortRetryFail posted:

I would be surprised if Tony Abbott could actually tell you a true fact about anything that is happening anywhere in the universe.

"Hey Tony is the sky blue?"

*starts nodding and shaking uncontrollably*

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

this broken hill posted:

these are the people who looked at an abundant fairytale paradise nurtured by peaceful nomads drawing on a hundred thousand years of knowledge and thought to themselves "let's kill them all, raze this poo poo to the ground and grow some loving wheat already"

"What a useless desert, let's put cattle in it"
"What a useless forest, let's put rabbits in it"
"What a useless meadow, let's put sheep in it"
"What a useless race, let's murder it or failing that, attempt to extinguish its even after we were forced to acknowledge their right to the land and their citizenship"

OK the last one was a bit long-winded but lefties don't get the catchy phrases.

So, if I got this straight, they want a third bite at the cherry because splitting Senate elections is obviously not confusing the electorate enough to vote for them?

JBP posted:

Some people are racist or afraid of middle eastern/African people because of the media and don't want to live near them.

Close but the original American context goes back to Levittown, William Levitt essentially invented the suburb and it was exclusionary segregation from the start. What "white flight" describes is what happens when that racism no longer receives active promotion by structures of authority, and real estate agents can't prop up the perceived loss in property values. The builders or developers may start out with the intention of a high-value, white suburb but obviously can't turn away anyone with the money, and the local government and other structures negatively promote racism and white flight by seeing the area as having lost value or increase in crime, or too expensive to maintain and a dozen other excuses. The media are only value-adding to that perception.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A half-Senate election feels like a really stupid idea but I said the same about the DD and they did it anyway so what do I know.

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/999458580532084738

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ewe2 posted:

Close but the original American context goes back to Levittown, William Levitt essentially invented the suburb and it was exclusionary segregation from the start. What "white flight" describes is what happens when that racism no longer receives active promotion by structures of authority, and real estate agents can't prop up the perceived loss in property values. The builders or developers may start out with the intention of a high-value, white suburb but obviously can't turn away anyone with the money, and the local government and other structures negatively promote racism and white flight by seeing the area as having lost value or increase in crime, or too expensive to maintain and a dozen other excuses. The media are only value-adding to that perception.

Yeah I know I also listen to the dollop. I was speaking broadly about why people are allegedly leaving these areas. It's because they're the kind of brittle-boned losers that have never tried Indian food and think Howard was good.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

ewe2 posted:

Actually POC have a magical aura that makes stuff cheaper, food better, and racist assholes move away.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gentleman Baller posted:

Actually POC have a magical aura that makes stuff cheaper, food better, and racist assholes move away.

Shhhh or they'll figure it out. Meanwhile, in Senate estimates...

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedOzPol/status/999461656101961729

:ughh:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Didn't the government like, kill an entire town of people of colour in america because they were too affluent for the whites to handle

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A QUEENSLAND senator says indigenous NRL star Johnathon Thurston is proof that racism doesn’t exist in Australia.

“If only I could get him to run for a political party, he’d walk it in,” the Liberal National Party’s Ian Macdonald said.

Senator Macdonald used the example of Thurston to question whether there was an ongoing need for a race discrimination commissioner.

“I might live in a bubble perhaps, but I find it very difficult to find any but very rare cases of racism in Australia,” Senator Macdonald said during a committee hearing in Canberra today.

“I mean in this building we have two senior ministers who … are clearly not white Australian male(s).”

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

two whole ministers!!!!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I am glad that racism is over.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lid posted:

A QUEENSLAND senator says indigenous NRL star Johnathon Thurston is proof that racism doesn’t exist in Australia.

“If only I could get him to run for a political party, he’d walk it in,” the Liberal National Party’s Ian Macdonald said.

Senator Macdonald used the example of Thurston to question whether there was an ongoing need for a race discrimination commissioner.

“I might live in a bubble perhaps, but I find it very difficult to find any but very rare cases of racism in Australia,” Senator Macdonald said during a committee hearing in Canberra today.

“I mean in this building we have two senior ministers who … are clearly not white Australian male(s).”

What the gently caress?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh cool I finally got a robocall that was in Chinese. Thanks anime dave.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got one this morning too

I'm now activated

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

kirbysuperstar posted:

Racism double whammy

The calls anger non-English speakers because it's in Chinese

The calls are scams to exploit the Chinese in Australia, thus making them victims, and that upsets the whites because well look how easily they're scammed and taking over now that scams are mfpocussing on them, 90s Pauline was right!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/katter-says-downer-too-right-wing

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

this broken hill posted:

the thing about anglo australia is that it is the most boring culture on earth. poo poo food, poo poo music, poo poo holidays, poo poo family dynamics, poo poo work ethic, poo poo language, poo poo everything you can possibly think of. why anyone would want to live in an enclave of that is completely beyond me

Look, say what you want about anglo australian culture but you know what?

I got nothing. I struggled for years with how cultureless my culture was. Actually, there is one good thing about my culture, the fantasy and science fiction novels are sweet. And I'm sure someone's going to come along and told me we stole those from someone else, but drat it, we steal everything from everyone else, that's the basic of my culture.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Behold my Chinese scamming powers!

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Fuckin lol, 79 days until the by-election, when it would only take 33 days for a full general election.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Konomex posted:

Actually, there is one good thing about my culture, the fantasy and science fiction novels are sweet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/24/don-dale-no-charges-to-be-laid-over-royal-commission-findings

Hey guys it is all good, there's nothing wrong without our youth detention system! Nothing to see here, move on!

Christ what a waste of money. Crippled by the Liberals from the start.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Australia Post has opened a retail outlet that only sends mail to China.

The concept store, located in the Sydney suburb of Chatswood, doesn’t provide any normal postal services like selling stamps or mailing parcels around the country. Instead, it sells health and beauty products that can only be shipped to China.

According to Australia Post, the purpose of the store is to “test customer demand for selected products to be sent to China”.

“This store is not a post office. It will sell a limited number of lines, such as health and beauty products, in conjunction with international freight options,” a spokesperson said.

At this stage it’s just a pilot store and there are no plans to extend it to more than one location, but its very existence hints at the spending power that foreign Chinese shoppers wield in Australia.

The only other people in the store were five men in suits who were discussing business-to-business and business-to-consumer markets in China and how to deal with Chinese customs checks. At one point, one of the men inquired about this reporter, who had been taking photos inside the store. After learning she works for a news organisation, the man walked away silently and rejoined the others who continued their discussions on the Chinese market.

Australian baby formula is one of the most popular products for Chinese shoppers.

In 2015, half of all Australian baby formula sold in supermarkets was being shipped to China, accounting for more than $US200 million in sales. The next year, supermarket shelves infamously ran dry of baby formula, and producers had to increase their production runs while stores grappled with limiting customers to a certain number of tins per purchase.

Finding enough formula is still a problem for parents, and supermarket giant Coles recently moved its tins behind the counter in some of its locations – the same area where cigarettes are kept. Customers can now only buy two tins each.

But formula is available at Australia Post’s concept store, and appears to be a major part of the store’s strategy. The baby food takes up twice as much space as that of other major product categories.

Price vary widely compared to large supermarkets. A2 Platinum Stage 3 is $28 at Coles, but $30 at Australia Post. At $25, Aptamil Gold-Plus 2 is twenty cents more expensive than Coles and Woolworths. But Aptamil Toddler Gold+ 3, Aptamil Junior Gold+ 4 and a number of A2 products are cheaper at Australia Post.

With some estimates that Daigou buy as much as 80 per cent to 90 per cent of infant formula sold in Australia, opening a shop and shipping center in Chatswood is a strategy that may well pay off for Australia Post.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Maybe the best thing about white Australia is that we DON'T have a culture so we don't need to be restricted by it. Other than racism that is.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Seize those loving tins.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's this MyHealthRecord thing? Is it a scam?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my family does a lot of business in china and it's a great place to do business as long as you accept you'll occasionally spend the night in jail if you upset the wrong person

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Dimebag posted:

Fuckin lol, 79 days until the by-election, when it would only take 33 days for a full general election.

Maybe labor should have scheduled their national conference for earlier in the year and we could have had the by-elections then instead

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://tendaily.com.au/news/politi...tralia-20180523

quote:

Anglicare looked at 66,424 properties advertised for rent on March 24, analysing the rental prices against the amounts available under those payments. Housing is generally deemed to be ‘affordable’ if it costs no more than 30 percent of a household’s income. Under that criteria, there were only two affordable properties in the country for someone on Youth Allowance, and just three for a Newstart recipient; only 413 for a single person with two kids on the parenting payment; 406 for someone on the disability pension; and just 2700 properties out of 66,000 were affordable for someone on the aged pension.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-24/billionaires-multiply-as-profits-surge-wages-stall/9796424

quote:

Australia has 16 extra billionaires this year, taking the total to a record 76, with carboard and recycling magnate Anthony Pratt again topping the list of the nation's wealthiest.
The nation's richest 200 people, as calculated by the Financial Review, held a record $283 billion in wealth, up 21 per cent on last year.
It took a personal fortune of $387 million to make the list this year, up significantly from $341 million last year.
But the average wealth of Australia's 200 richest people was $1.41 billion.

The top five industries in which the nation's wealthiest 200 primarily made their fortunes are property (51), retail (22), investment (20), resources (18) and financial services (16).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Nice of them to write the list for us.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Luke_FoleyNSW/status/999543563632312320

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-24/billionaires-multiply-as-profits-surge-wages-stall/9796424

The nation's richest 200 people, as calculated by the Financial Review, held a record $283 billion in wealth, up 21 per cent on last year. 

Imagine asking a captain of industry for a 21 percent wage increase

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's this MyHealthRecord thing? Is it a scam?

It's not a scam, it is a Government program (though those aren't always mutually exclusive). The idea is to have an electronic health record that moves with you between the different arms of the health care sector. I work in medical research and I was comfortable to have my son be signed up for it. That said, three of my colleagues who also had children recently all declined to have their children signed up.

It still has a long way to go before being really useful and it does give the patient control over who sees what about their medical history. It may be really useful if you have allergies to stuff or conditions that medical professionals should be aware of.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Refugee Council of Australia had earlier described the term as “offensive” and “unhelpful”.

“This type of term doesn’t have any place in describing the western suburbs of Sydney,” said the Refugee Council’s policy officer, Shakufa Tahiri. “It’s an American term. It’s not relevant to western Sydney,” she said.

Luke Foley is such a failure in every respect that I refuse to even admit to pinch nose down the ticket voting for him because it's a choice between tearing down stadiums vs the reason greyhound racing is legal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Good on him imo

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?lang=en

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:lol: at all the replies saying he should resign. Also this is my favourite:

https://twitter.com/nickschadegg/status/999554570375196673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sorry to add to the tweetfest but it's news from this morning:

https://twitter.com/RossAndJohn/status/999415141467807744

but

https://twitter.com/JmarrMarr/status/999488791223005184

:tinfoil: well she was doing actual journalism on Sky whoops.

• Locked thread