Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Flower posted:

i thought it wasn't really meant to be a spicy burn, just trying to set up team america world police's schtick of using multimedia as opposed to legends and fables, which was a good gimmick. i say it every time but the Santa Claus girl pulled out guns and a rocket launcher from her santa sack. that's some good poo poo. and we had other girls like the one who was literally Star Wars (except they called it something like Space Wars) and she had the lightsaber sfx and the one who was just 'Zombie' and turned the fight into a horror movie for all of 3 minutes

And Honestly, that approach is probably way more interesting than a more honest American take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

marchen madchen sounds amazing tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's disasterrific

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Johnny Appleseed

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

is march madness entertaining bad, bad bad, or just tragic?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
whynotboth.gif

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

is march madness entertaining bad, bad bad, or just tragic?

it varies? the first few episodes are kinda bad, though a few of the characters are likable (charles ftw), the russian episodes are just actually well executed and charming comedy, no qualifications or anything, and then the last few episodes are just terribly animated and even without the animation issues the writing's not great, and then it just ends since the last two eps might not ever exist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

kater posted:

Yeah American myths are just all about real people, like Davy Crockett and Joseph Smith and Michael Jordan.

Or supernatural stuff, like Bigfoot, Roswell, Mothman, schoolbus railroad tracks ghosts, etc.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or supernatural stuff, like Bigfoot, Roswell, Mothman, schoolbus railroad tracks ghosts, etc.

schoolbus railroad tracks?

anyway i guess its not too late for march madness brackets

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there's a common story about a bus full of kids getting hit by a train and if you put flour on your trunk and stop in the middle of a railroad crossing you'll be pushed forward and there will be fingerprints in the flour

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Paracelsus posted:

America developed plenty of myths and legends before modernity came along to disenchant the world.
yeah, there were people and societys in this country with gods we've never heard of and will never know again, religions long forgotten with their creators

it's me, the person watching american gods again because im too lazy to re-read it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Paper Triangle posted:

Everyone who says this has to lean real hard on Bunyan and Appleseed.

Look up creatures of the lumberwood. Also Slappy Hooper

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Slappy Hooper lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Every story about George Washington's youth

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Slappy Hooper lol

He was the best sign painter there ever was. He once painted a bread sign that was so realistic that birds would fly at it and break their necks from the impact because it made them hungry.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He painted a fireplace that looked so real that bums would cook their food by it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He could paint the sky. Rainbows exist because it's the rain washing his paint down

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe I forgot to mention the Monster of Pope Lick.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

*opens up big time of American Folklore* Pecos Bill, Bowleg Bill, Billy the Kid, Wild Bill, Billy Earthquake, Buffalo Bill, all indispensable parts of the American Story.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

GorfZaplen posted:

*opens up big time of American Folklore* Pecos Bill, Bowleg Bill, Billy the Kid, Wild Bill, Billy Earthquake, Buffalo Bill, all indispensable parts of the American Story.

You forgot Bill Nye the Science Guy

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Davincie posted:

lift their myths like they lifted their culture
sorry we had to leave all the other shithole nations of this world to form our own, better one :fsmug:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:frogout:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Coaaab posted:

sorry we had to leave all the other shithole nations of this world to form our own, better one :fsmug:

where's that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Coaaab posted:

bad post

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Coaaab posted:

sorry we had to leave all the other shithole nations of this world to form our own shithole :fsmug:

Ftfy

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Coaaab posted:

is this like a joke about american exceptionalism or something i don't get it, and now everyone's pissed off

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

superLINUS posted:

Four Lovely Men Who Run A Lovely Cafe That Serves Lovely Food continues to be LOVELY.

Anime of the summer. I love matcha-flavored foods.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Matoi Ryuko posted:

is this like a joke about american exceptionalism or something i don't get it, and now everyone's pissed off
that post was less than sincere

e: anyway, i've only been following hinamatsuri and wotakoi this season, and i don't like them as much as the two winter shows i watched, yuru camp and koi wa ameagari

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 24, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If we're including US fiction from the 20th century, you've also got the cthulhu mythos, which anime has borrowed on occasion.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was written by L. Frank Baum in 1900. Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote John Carter of Mars and Tarzan of the Apes in 1912, Conan the Barbarian was written by Robert E. Howard in 1932.

You could also consider comic books, though they weren't uniquely American, neither are fairy tales unique to any one country. As it is, American comics ended up becoming a dominant force in the industry. Even in just the Golden Age, you still get Superman (Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, 1932), Batman (Bob Kane and Bill Finger, 1939), and Captain America (Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, 1941). However, that may be hitting too close to home as these characters were used for propaganda and morale prior to and during World War II. Almost every American superhero at the time were regularly beating up Nazis and Imperial Japanese.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
And of course any discussion of American mythical figures wouldn't be complete if we didn't talk about Garfield.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Look, all I'm asking for is an anime Jersey Devil, is that so much to ask?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
mothman

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anime chemtrails

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Depending on how you define myth, you could dip into American Civil religion, too.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
*slams fists on table* We want American myths re-imagined as cute anime girls now!!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Viridiant posted:

*slams fists on table* We want American myths re-imagined as cute anime girls now!!

You want the blue ox to be a babe?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Viridiant posted:

Fate has you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Viridiant posted:

Already ahead of you.

• Locked thread