Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Thin Privilege posted:

Aaah gently caress there’s these ads on all the bus stops that say something like “DAD JOKES RULE!!” with a picture of a happy kid. Is this a fad now?

My bf tells dad jokes all the time (we don’t have kids) and it drives me insane.

Peeve: dad jokes.

I'm definitely noticing a lot more people getting obsessed with them lately. I hate to admit that I do in public, but if you watch any of the big hearthstone streamers (don't) they are all doing it to some extent or another. I think it's just the natural evolution of the former "dad bod" fad. It's like they are over-compensating for the fact that they don't have kids and want to be seen as "dad"-ish because that's their reference point for how an adult male should act/look like.

It just annoys me because the jokes are still supposed to be funny, it is not synonymous with "bad jokes". You can call it a "dad joke" all you want, but the "why is 6 afraid of 7" is just a bad joke that wouldn't even get a laugh at the elementary school playground because it's so worn out.

also misterbibs, what is wrong with you? I know pet peeves tend to be petty things but you get riled up over the dumbest poo poo. How is an ugly metal pole any more high class than a wire? Both are ugly. Besides, the wire ones make it look a lot more exciting when a hurricane rolls through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um excuse me but it’s low class and we all know how gross THEY are amirite!???

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cowslips Warren posted:

OH THAT THING DIDN'T RING UP IT MUST BE FREE!

My mom does this. Every. loving. Time.

I feel so bad for the cashiers. lovely hours, lovely pay, lovely jokes.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

teenytinymouse posted:

Drivers who wave me on to cross when I have already decided to stop and wait irritate me. I have already stopped, I have indicated my preference here. Now I have to make sure you're actually stopping for me and jog across while waving gratefully while you slow down, stop, pat yourself on the back for being so gracious and then get moving again and this all takes so much longer than if you just kept going.

This was prophetic. With the addition of a car coming the other way so the whole thing happened twice.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Jokes that everyone has heard.

OH THAT THING DIDN'T RING UP IT MUST BE FREE!

Shut up shut up!

I ruin this for people by just looking at them and being full serious “no, sorry. I still have to charge you for the item. I would lose my job if I did that.”

They go “I was just joking” and get all sad that I ruined their fun. I continue to look dead on the outside because I work retail but my heart warms for a moment that I ruined a crappy joke.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Black Stones posted:

I ruin this for people by just looking at them and being full serious “no, sorry. I still have to charge you for the item. I would lose my job if I did that.”

They go “I was just joking” and get all sad that I ruined their fun. I continue to look dead on the outside because I work retail but my heart warms for a moment that I ruined a crappy joke.

I used to pretend I couldn't hear whatever joke they made the first time, and then when they awkwardly repeated it I would laugh real big. I'm an rear end in a top hat though so

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

also misterbibs, what is wrong with you? I know pet peeves tend to be petty things but you get riled up over the dumbest poo poo.

I'd encourage you to reread the title of this thread.

How is an ugly metal pole any more high class than a wire? Both are ugly.

I'd hate to see your behind-the-computer setup. Piles of bundled wires just look like poo poo compared to something slightly more, for lack of a better term, put together.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Man just pee on them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I'd hate to see your behind-the-computer setup. Piles of bundled wires just look like poo poo compared to something slightly more, for lack of a better term, put together.

Your "peeves" are in a different league. Like there's being annoyed that your coworkers eat your food, and then there's....getting upset about traffic lights hanging from wires.

Also that analogy is stupid. Are people who have lots of wires behind their computer (aka everybody) lower class than people with a single metal pipe?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the lower class part that peeves me. Ugly I can get, but there’s no reason to hate on poor people for some lights.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My pet peeve is MrBibs' pet peeves

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Your "peeves" are in a different league. Like there's being annoyed that your coworkers eat your food, and then there's....getting upset about traffic lights hanging from wires.

I'd encourage you to reread my post, then, since you clearly didn't read that I just don't like how it looks.

Are people who have lots of wires behind their computer (aka everybody) lower class than people with a single metal pipe?

:shrug: In the absence of a good reason (spoiler alert, there never is), having cord hell is aesthetically unpleasing, same way the previous thing I cited as a pet peeve. One of the first(ish) casual things I did after moving in to my first home was design something so that there's no cord hell.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the lower class part that peeves me. Ugly I can get, but there’s no reason to hate on poor people for some lights.

I'd encourage you to reread the part where I mentioned that a solid third of the pet peeve, aesthetics aside, is that they tend to happen in places where I wouldn't think they would be. Poles in a more poorer/rural area, wires in a bustling more-urban area. It's just weird.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 14:48 on May 24, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I'd encourage you to reread my post, then, since you clearly didn't read that I just don't like how it looks.

First of all, encouraging people to read your posts should be a warcrime. Second of all, you made references to class and wealth several times in your post, so it's not just "I think it doesn't look nice", it's clearly "it makes me think i'm in a ~bad neighborhood~".

and yes you did mention the inconsistency but that doesn't change the fact that you associate wires with filthy poors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Second of all, you made references to class and wealth several times in your post, so it's not just "I think it doesn't look nice", it's clearly "it makes me think i'm in a ~bad neighborhood~".

Nope, that's simply an invention on your part. Nothing about a bad neighborhood, just a poorer (or not poorer) one.

and yes you did mention the inconsistency but that doesn't change the fact that you associate wires with filthy poors.

Probably because, which I'd encourage you to do, I did a little bit of research and just bundling up the wires is a cost-saving measure compared to poles. Sure, there's some weather-related things at play, but the throughline as I've read is that the choice is generally financial.

Still looks ugly and low-class, no matter how understandable the choice is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lazy, low-energy stoplights! I would use poles (high class) Sad!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The bundles of wire are still there, Mister Bibs. Hiding them with gray metal pipe doesn't make the bundle of wires go away. If it was like polished marble poles vs bundles of wires, maybe you'd have a point, but they both look "low class" and ugly. The only thing putting them in a pipe does is hide them from your sensitive eyes, much like I'm sure you prefer the "lower class" people to be hidden from you on your commute.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I respect that you fast during Ramadan, co-workers, but is it really breaking your fast if you brush your teeth in the morning? I guess co-workers with bad breath is my new pet peeve.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

anyone bitching about something looking "low class" is trash

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The only thing putting them in a pipe does is hide them from your sensitive eyes, much like I'm sure you prefer the "lower class" people to be hidden from you on your commute.

Nope, I don't have an issue with people. As a cursory reread of my post would make clear, I simply dislike the look. There's no possible condition of things where what you're trying to invent is what I'm saying.

It's OK for you to think something looks OK that I don't like. :)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Nope, I don't have an issue with people. As a cursory reread of my post would make clear, I simply dislike the look. There's no possible condition of things where what you're trying to invent is what I'm saying.

It's OK for you to think something looks OK that I don't like. :)

for someone who continuously asks people to reread their post to gain their true meaning (which changes every time someone finds a new thing to criticize about it), you don't read the posts you are replying to very well. At no point did I say anything "looks OK".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, you actually defended having cord hell behind your computer. Defending an aesthetic thing is either liking said thing, or disliking me for saying it.

Its OK to like things I don't like. :)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There you go reading things in to what I said despite being obsessed about reading posts. I said "a lot of cords", that doesn't mean "cord hell", and like I said the analogy is stupid because it has nothing to do with the traffic lights. The traffic light "cords" are bound together in a neat fashion, and don't resemble anything like cord hell.

I'm beginning to suspect that mister bibs (and myself for responding to him) may be a retard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

Man, you actually defended having cord hell behind your computer. Defending an aesthetic thing is either liking said thing, or disliking me for saying it.

Its OK to like things I don't like. :)

Dawg it’s the low class comment that is the problem. You’re making GBS threads on poor people in a poor neighborhood for no reason. That’s the lovely part.

You can not like the wires or the look and that’s fine. But how you described it is the issue here.

So pet peeve, people who don’t get that they’re saying hosed up things.!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Dawg it’s the low class comment that is the problem. You’re making GBS threads on poor people in a poor neighborhood for no reason. That’s the lovely part.

You can not like the wires or the look and that’s fine. But how you described it is the issue here.

So pet peeve, people who don’t get that they’re saying hosed up things.!

but if you go back and carefully reread his post, you will find (thing that is not reflected in the post he is telling you to rearead). It's OK to think he's a moron, just don't point it out to him :).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I used to love old school slate sidewalks, until I had a stroller with a sleeping baby in it. It's like walking along a mountain pass.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Nope, that's basic invention from those who lack the ability or wilingness to read what I posted. Do not pass go, don't collect 200 bucks, no need to entertain the notion of an alternative.

I mean, I'll be happy to walk you through it, but the non-aesthetic part of the peeve is that the poor(er) neighborhoods generally have metal poles (good, clean, uncluttered), whereas neighborhoods I know to be more affluent are using cord hell (bad, unclean, cluttered).

E: vvv like I said, inability or unwillingness. It's what I said, I encourage you to reread if you're erring and getting anything other than what I'm telling you.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:53 on May 24, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

that's not what you said at all senor bibs. As much as I wish it were so, you don't get infinite chances at editing your original statement.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

please don't argue with known moron misterbibs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How do commercial trucks plan their routes? I'm constantly seeing giant trucks going down narrow, curvy, or pedestrian-heavy streets that even cars have difficulty with. Trucks literally going over corners to turn. Isn't there a GPS system that could tell them hey, here's a bunch of large heavy-traffic streets that can get you where you're going?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cordially and with great haste shut the gently caress up about this goddamn

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
It really bothers me when men refer to women their own age as 'girls'. Like, "the girl ringing me up at the grocery said something nice to me," or, "I talked to the girl in HR today," etc. It sounds so demeaning. You are a grown-rear end man, why can't you say 'woman'? Or even 'lady'? There is no excuse for it unless the person you are speaking about is literally a child.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to think that too but a lot of women refer to themselves as girls as well so I don't know if it's a real problem. "Hey, a girl's gotta eat!"

At this point I think it's just the female version of "dude"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
As an old :corsair: I would prefer if people refer to me as “girl.”

“That girl wants the x coffee”

“Miss” vs “ma’am”

I don’t like getting old :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah when they stop carding you for alcohol it's all downhill

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah, I have more money in theory

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah if there was one of those 5000x5000px of :negative: that would explain but maybe also :smithicide:

—I don’t like getting old.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think the more depressing thing than being carded is when the liquor store guy knows your total before you even come up to the counter. That's a big sign that you need to switch it up and add more stores to your rotation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I think the more depressing thing than being carded is when the liquor store guy knows your total before you even come up to the counter. That's a big sign that you need to switch it up and add more stores to your rotation.

:wrong: that means that you get in and out faster

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

:wrong: that means that you get in and out faster

well yeah but then they know you're a degenerate alcoholic. You have to rotate between stores and buy small quantities so they think you're just a regular guy. Never get too comfortable otherwise they will discover your secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

well yeah but then they know you're a degenerate alcoholic. You have to rotate between stores and buy small quantities so they think you're just a regular guy. Never get too comfortable otherwise they will discover your secret.

Why do you care? Being a degenerate alcoholic owns.