Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I had a lot of City of Heroes characters. My Masterminds were Pro Patria Mori who was Soldiers/Pain and Konohanasakuya the Ninja/Thermal one. I also had a thug/poison one whose name escapes me. I think my favorite character was my Plant/Psychic Dominator named Chive Mind. I don't think I will ever find an MMO I enjoy even close to as much as CoH for whole host of reasons.

bewilderment posted:

Also in PoE2, as a hirable crew member for your ship, is "Giani Canc-Assi".

Imagine four balls, on a fantasy necklace.

I was on the fence about getting PoE2. I never beat the first one as I kept stalling out midway. I may have to give 2 a shot though. Maybe I will try to work through the first one one more time before I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember seeing a picture of a COH character who was an enormous robot with a tiny pink heart on his chest named HUGGERNAUT.

MrAptronym posted:

I think my favorite character was my Plant/Psychic Dominator named Chive Mind

That's amazing

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When Villains came out I was part of the Powder Rangers, all of us named after various coloured drugs.

It lasted about three days. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

edit: excusi the portuguese, I couldn't find any settings to change the language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PMu3QmOoI

Well your English is fantastic. Are you playing that on the PS4 or on a PC? If it's the former, I might just pick it up too, it looks like it's running pretty well.

Samuringa posted:

I had many, many favorite little things in Lost Legacy but I would just post the entire game so I'll just leave my favorite screencap

Nadine teaching Chloe how you're supposed to pet wild animals :3:

I'm just so down with the entire game in general. Chloe and Nadine slowly starting to get along- since that whole group is just a bunch of people who keep rolling a solid ten on Charisma at the least- the India history lesson- since I certainly didn't know anything about India beyond Ganesh and Shiva- just the dialogue in general. It was a great game but I'm so bad at actually nailing down small things about it that I really liked that aren't just 'man, just the entire game front to back'

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Do you CoH/CoV players have any opinion on Twixt?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LashLightning posted:

I wasn't able to get into the game, but the community looked neat. Before CoV came out, I think, a group in CoH pretended to be villains - called themselves the Circle of Bastards and their motto was "Saving the World, One Savage Beating at a Time". The admins caught out their slightly-sweary name and they were told to change it, and they did - to the Circle of Jerks. Their motto took on a different meaning, then... :circlefap:

Also one guy made his character a red, blue and silver blocky robot and called themselves Optimus Crime.

A weird thing that happened was Marvel issuing some sort of lawsuit against Cryptic because the character creator allowed you to easily recreate practically any comic character.

They had to institute a "rule of two".
Any character you made could not have the name, likeness or powers of popular characters but you could have any combination of two of those.

So you could make "Doctor Doom" that looks exactly like the comic character but have his powers be Archery.
Or you coukd make a woman with blond hair, in blue spandex with a "4" on her chest with invisibility and force bubbles but you couldn't call her "The Invisible Woman" or "Mrs. Fantastic".

There was a group of people that made identical G Men in the group called "Marvel Lawyers". They went around the public hangout spot (Atlas Park) and yelled at people for copyright infringement.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed CoH/V though I never really got far because I never really got far in MMORPGs. What I remember most is that I got in kind of late, and a lot of the discussions I saw were people lamenting that one villainous group the Heroes could fight (the Nazi one) was... I think either removed entirely or just had any reference to their Nazism removed.

At the time I figured everyone just wanted to punch the Nazis, but after 2016 I'm not so sure.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I enjoyed CoH/V though I never really got far because I never really got far in MMORPGs. What I remember most is that I got in kind of late, and a lot of the discussions I saw were people lamenting that one villainous group the Heroes could fight (the Nazi one) was... I think either removed entirely or just had any reference to their Nazism removed.

At the time I figured everyone just wanted to punch the Nazis, but after 2016 I'm not so sure.

I think the rumor in game was that it was due to the release in Germany? The group was overthrown by a less obviously nazi referencing group, but I think the original "Fifth Column" group came back a few years later? I can't speak for all the players, I liked the community a lot but gamers are gamers, but the game itself was at least very clear on where it stood with respect to nazis. (Since this is 2018, I will specify that the game was in fact anti-nazi.) They were also nazis with vampires, werewolves and robots, so pretty comic-villain-ish.

My favorite enemy group was probably the psychic, dimension-hopping homeless sewer mutants that posed as aliens for their invasion of the game's dimension. I don't remember if they started as sewer mutants in their own dimension or if they were just converting the sewer people into their brand of super-mutants, but it was an interesting group.

PubicMice posted:

Never heard of them. I never went into the PvP areas much, and I don't think many players did. The PvP in that game was pretty wonky, with all sorts of powers needing to be altered for it to be playable. I played on the roleplaying server (Virtue) though, so maybe it was a more pacifist group?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym posted:

I think the rumor in game was that it was due to the release in Germany? The group was overthrown by a less obviously nazi referencing group, but I think the original "Fifth Column" group came back a few years later? I can't speak for all the players, I liked the community a lot but gamers are gamers, but the game itself was at least very clear on where it stood with respect to nazis. (Since this is 2018, I will specify that the game was in fact anti-nazi.) They were also nazis with vampires, werewolves and robots, so pretty comic-villain-ish.

Oh yeah, just to make it clear, I meant the people I was less sure of considering these days were the then complaining gamers, not the devs. If the faction was reintroduced that was after I stopped playing I guess. As with most MMORPGs I never played any for long, as oddly enough when you've got social anxieties and refuse to group with anyone the games aren't very fun. Who knew?

Oddly enough, the one MMO that somehow managed to fix that problem I had was the original Planetside. In just the first day I already got recruited to an Outfit and would always be playing in squads and had tons of stupid fun.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I just dressed myself up like a ninja and called myself Not A Ninja.

I AM TOTALLY NOT A NINJA GUYS, gently caress AREN'T YOU PAYING ATTENTION? Ignore that my entire kit is all ninja poo poo I am TOTALLY not a ninja, OK?

The first character I got to the level cap with was a martial arts/regen named Ninja Jesus

We had a small clan going for a while, all Jesus-themed. That was a lot of fun.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RareAcumen posted:

Well your English is fantastic. Are you playing that on the PS4 or on a PC? If it's the former, I might just pick it up too, it looks like it's running pretty well.

I'm playing on the Ps4 but the game should probably run even better on PC, fine aiming and stuff.

And thanks a lot for the compliment but I also use a Firefox Extension called "Grammarly" because I still have trouble with things such as in/on/about/over or how many "m" are in "amount" or "recommended" and others. Hell, I only learned that "it's" and "its" are different things this year :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, just to make it clear, I meant the people I was less sure of considering these days were the then complaining gamers, not the devs. If the faction was reintroduced that was after I stopped playing I guess. As with most MMORPGs I never played any for long, as oddly enough when you've got social anxieties and refuse to group with anyone the games aren't very fun. Who knew?

Oddly enough, the one MMO that somehow managed to fix that problem I had was the original Planetside. In just the first day I already got recruited to an Outfit and would always be playing in squads and had tons of stupid fun.

The Fifth Column definitely came back and could be seen all over the place getting into fights with the Council, the guys who replaced them. You eventually got the option to go to the Nazi Dimension (because of course there was a Nazi Dimension) and punch Super Not-Hitler in the face.

Even in City of Villains the Fifth Column were considered shitheads. Game was definitely anti-Nazi.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

You eventually got the option to go to the Nazi Dimension (because of course there was a Nazi Dimension).

Oh, so you could hop to our dimension? :smug:

:smith:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

Never played the game, but that article is basically "dude acts like a shitheel, is surprised when people get upset." Sure his actions were legal according to the game rules, but they violated (perfectly reasonable) social norms.

I mean, I'm not going to pretend the players that sent the guy death threats were justified. But if you're gonna grief, then you should expect people will get mad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Contrary to some stereotypes, people that play online computer games like "City of Heroes" aren't adolescent misfits. They tend to be what most would consider mainstream adults.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twixt was my professor for a class. Our final project was to purposefully subvert a social norm in an MMO and write about it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CoH was kinda funny in that none of the servers had unique rules but each of the 12(?) had cultures and certain expectations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My CoH story is playing back when I was in high school and wandering through one of the big hubs and going to a costume contest that people were quite frequently randomly holding and winning. I felt good about myself. Thanks for listening.

My CoV story is making a pirate character named Captain Rehab who was a ninja MM, this was back when pirates vs ninjas was a thing and I was super edgy and 15.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

MrAptronym posted:

My favorite enemy group was probably the psychic, dimension-hopping homeless sewer mutants that posed as aliens for their invasion of the game's dimension. I don't remember if they started as sewer mutants in their own dimension or if they were just converting the sewer people into their brand of super-mutants, but it was an interesting group.

The Lost were a cool group because of how they worked with the game's progression. If I'm wrong on this, apologies, as it's been almost a decade since I played. In the story, it was the Rikti (interdimensional aliens that started as humans, then were converted and dimension hopped to convert others) converting humans to Rikti, so they started with the homeless population. The lesser Lost (minions) were just homeless with badass trash armor. The lieutenants were big, bulky homeless who wore hoodies and had some beginning deformities like hoof hands. You'd usually just see those in the newbie levels, then when bosses became a thing as a player advanced, they would see what looked like the bulky lieutenants without the hoodies, who now had obvious mutations, or smaller bosses with hoods who had more psychic powers.

As the player leveled, the former lieutenants were reclassified as minions, the bulky bosses into lieutenants, and I think the bosses at that point were either the little bosses or outright Rikti. Eventually, the missions that involved the Lost just completely changed over to them bring Rikti.

I just thought it was fun how they handled showing the progression of the transformation.

That game had a lot of fun archetypes. Not sure if my favorite was my Robo/Dark Mastermind or Crab Soldier. The first was fun for casual, relaxing play of throwing robot after robot at the enemy. The second was great after I broke the invention system open and made an invincible laser light show of wide-range death.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Samuringa posted:

Hell, I only learned that "it's" and "its" are different things this year :v:

There are some native speakers who don't learn this for their whole lives

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of that anecdote with Mike Patton, who is known for roary demon characters like The Darkness. Apparently he was once recording/rehearsing in a hotel room and someone questioned what the weird noises and random screams were, concerned. His friend was just like "Nah, that's just Mike doing his thing..."

Couple pages too late, but this is referring to his album Adult Themes for Voice. "There isn't a note of music on the album; it's essentially noise."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The first week City of Villains was out I hit a glitch. I exited a warehouse, and my character was suddenly like 50 ft tall. Everybody gathered around the starting quest hub and tipped me in game currency to do emote requests. After an hour or so my game crashed, and when I logged back in I was normal size again. Some people posted screenshots in a thread on the official forums, and that was my brief internet Fame.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

There are some native speakers who don't learn this for their whole lives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc2udEpyPpU&t=20s

This is sad, but it's how I have remembered it for years.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I finally just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn & Frozen Wilds after leaving it about 60% done for ages. I immediately went into the DLC area and finished it before I continued with the main game.
As I got to the last couple storyline missions in the main game, I was rather surprised that DLC references got inserted into the dialog. Hephaestus and Cyan are brought up when you and Sylens are discussing the revelations in the Zero Dawn facility. Aratak will show up during the final battle, too.
In most games, I don't recall events occurring during DLC being brought up during the game's main storyline very often. Usually just an offhand reference before release, and some sort of quest marker when they're out.

And other things about Horizon...it just felt like a realistic, realized world. I spent most of the game wondering just when it takes place, and you don't really find out until one of the final few missions, and it actually makes sense. I was worried it'd compress the timeline or something. I expected a minimum of a thousand years, if not further, and I got it about right. The apocalypse happens around 2060, GAIA releases her humans around 2300, and Aloy is born around 3000. The first generation of humans were released as young adults or adolescents, but they never got the education they were supposed to; I gathered all they got wasn't much better than early elementary school. They're forced out into an unknown world and have to discover everything on their own, hence the return to tribalism and naturalistic religions that got built up for 700 years before Aloy showed up. There are some questionable things like how wooden buildings survived the Faro Plague, but maybe they weren't actually wood. I also liked that the 'Why is the torch in this untouched-for-a-thousand-years-Egyptian-ruin still burning?' annoyance was solved with ridiculously reliable power supplies and holographic displays.

It's annoyed me with recent Fallout games that it takes place a couple hundred years after the apocalypse, and some of these settlements have been occupied for decades, but it usually looks like the apocalypse swept through last Tuesday and they just haven't gotten around to sweeping up the trash, clearing some brush, or removing those charred skeletons in the downstairs bathtub. The environment just isn't very well realized.

I can suspend disbelief for a lot of things, but I need good reasons to do it. Horizon did a great job explaining why there were no large fauna, why the machines looked the way they did, and why the NPCs look at the world the way they do.
I just hope the next one gives Aloy Breath of the Wild-style climbing; the invisible walls really frustrated me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc2udEpyPpU&t=20s

This is sad, but it's how I have remembered it for years.

Knew what this was going to be before clicking the link.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pyroclastic posted:

I finally just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn & Frozen Wilds after leaving it about 60% done for ages. I immediately went into the DLC area and finished it before I continued with the main game.
As I got to the last couple storyline missions in the main game, I was rather surprised that DLC references got inserted into the dialog. Hephaestus and Cyan are brought up when you and Sylens are discussing the revelations in the Zero Dawn facility. Aratak will show up during the final battle, too.
In most games, I don't recall events occurring during DLC being brought up during the game's main storyline very often. Usually just an offhand reference before release, and some sort of quest marker when they're out.

And other things about Horizon...it just felt like a realistic, realized world. I spent most of the game wondering just when it takes place, and you don't really find out until one of the final few missions, and it actually makes sense. I was worried it'd compress the timeline or something. I expected a minimum of a thousand years, if not further, and I got it about right. The apocalypse happens around 2060, GAIA releases her humans around 2300, and Aloy is born around 3000. The first generation of humans were released as young adults or adolescents, but they never got the education they were supposed to; I gathered all they got wasn't much better than early elementary school. They're forced out into an unknown world and have to discover everything on their own, hence the return to tribalism and naturalistic religions that got built up for 700 years before Aloy showed up. There are some questionable things like how wooden buildings survived the Faro Plague, but maybe they weren't actually wood. I also liked that the 'Why is the torch in this untouched-for-a-thousand-years-Egyptian-ruin still burning?' annoyance was solved with ridiculously reliable power supplies and holographic displays.

It's annoyed me with recent Fallout games that it takes place a couple hundred years after the apocalypse, and some of these settlements have been occupied for decades, but it usually looks like the apocalypse swept through last Tuesday and they just haven't gotten around to sweeping up the trash, clearing some brush, or removing those charred skeletons in the downstairs bathtub. The environment just isn't very well realized.

I can suspend disbelief for a lot of things, but I need good reasons to do it. Horizon did a great job explaining why there were no large fauna, why the machines looked the way they did, and why the NPCs look at the world the way they do.
I just hope the next one gives Aloy Breath of the Wild-style climbing; the invisible walls really frustrated me.

Fallout: New Vegas is actually somewhat post-post-apocalyptic; Food and water supplies are relatively stable, and there are entire governments with factories that can machine and manufacture new complex parts. It's generally implied that given a decade or two they'll be back to pre-bomb-drop level of society/technology.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HPanda posted:

The Lost were a cool group because of how they worked with the game's progression. If I'm wrong on this, apologies, as it's been almost a decade since I played. In the story, it was the Rikti (interdimensional aliens that started as humans, then were converted and dimension hopped to convert others) converting humans to Rikti, so they started with the homeless population. The lesser Lost (minions) were just homeless with badass trash armor. The lieutenants were big, bulky homeless who wore hoodies and had some beginning deformities like hoof hands. You'd usually just see those in the newbie levels, then when bosses became a thing as a player advanced, they would see what looked like the bulky lieutenants without the hoodies, who now had obvious mutations, or smaller bosses with hoods who had more psychic powers.

As the player leveled, the former lieutenants were reclassified as minions, the bulky bosses into lieutenants, and I think the bosses at that point were either the little bosses or outright Rikti. Eventually, the missions that involved the Lost just completely changed over to them bring Rikti.

I just thought it was fun how they handled showing the progression of the transformation.

Yup, that's pretty much it. I believe they were a unique case too where The Lost didn't cap out if you were on the edge of their level range. If the game wanted to spawn level 30+ Lost, which otherwise didn't exist, it just went with full blown Rikti instead.

They eventually confirmed that the 5th Column replacement was an overly cautious rear end-covering maneuver for the game's European launch. For years there was endless arguing about whether the fabled German Law That Says You Can't Have Nazis In A Videogame existed or not.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:23 on May 24, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In City of Heroes there were raids called Trials.
At the end of one of the trials, you would spawn back in the public zone and it would kick of an ENORMOUS robot that the whole zone would have to band together to defeat.

It was seriously 60+ feet tall and was difficult to kill even in the high-level zone it comes from.

Here's a fun thing that I came up with:
I discovered that Cryptic failed to set certain flags because they assumed everyone in group would be in the final trial stage together. The flag is set to spawn the robot in the zone where the first person exiting the trial would end up.
However, if one person hangs back (like in you super base with your big teleportation matrix) the rest of the team can beat the trial, stay in the mission map while the other team member zones into... I dunno, a huge newbie zone called The Hollows?

So I got a level million billion walking skyscraper into a tutorial zone where it hung out killing lowbies for several hours. It took longer than anticipated to bring high-level players back down to spend the 30+ minutes to kill it.

Edit: I have more stories if you like this stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm gonna nitpick and say you're probably thinking of the Kronos Class Titan, which was an ambush that spawned midway through a high level storyarc. But yeah, ambush logic wasn't designed with the 300 different teleport options the game eventually had in mind, it just dumbly said "when they zone into a public area, get 'em" so you had people spawning the Kronos in places it really shouldn't be, like the newbie zones. Or right in the middle of the public raid zone. I believe they quickly slapped together a safeguard to stop you from doing in the actual starting zones once people got wind of it.

But yeah, for the record you eventually got so high up on the secretive government spooks' shitlist (think Cadmus crossed with Metal Gear Solid), they send a giant gently caress-off robot after you.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:25 on May 24, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh was it mid way? That makes sense that we had to run it once tonbe sure. Christ it's been 10+ years.

Spawning it in the huge zones may seem counter-intuitive since you want people close to be murdered. However each zone portal had little drones that could insta kill anything.

If you used your super base teleporter it would throw you as close to the center of the zone as possible. The Hallows was the richest target.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The best part of the 5th Column's return in City of Heroes was where they actually turned up again.

The game had a zone that was set in the past, in a territory of the Roman Empire, and the main group content there is about quelling a military coup that's gotten out of hand because its leader scored supernatural backing. So you're up against Roman soldiers who have the help of cyclopses and minotaurs, and you get a big setpiece mission that's fighting your way through a valley filled with them. With some NPC ally help, you carve your way through (or just fly over, this is a superhero game after all), and at the end of the valley confront the leader of the coup...

And his robot army, given to him by his time-travelling Nazi co-conspirators. It was genuinely amazing, the twist came out of loving nowhere and was delivered brilliantly.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Been playing Chrono Trigger (snes) and one thing I appreciate is when you talk to someone you aren't glued to the ground, instead you can actually walk around and still read through all their dialogue. It's a small feature but makes talking to everyone less painful. I'm a little sadden that this style never took off.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cleretic posted:

The best part of the 5th Column's return in City of Heroes was where they actually turned up again.

The game had a zone that was set in the past, in a territory of the Roman Empire, and the main group content there is about quelling a military coup that's gotten out of hand because its leader scored supernatural backing. So you're up against Roman soldiers who have the help of cyclopses and minotaurs, and you get a big setpiece mission that's fighting your way through a valley filled with them. With some NPC ally help, you carve your way through (or just fly over, this is a superhero game after all), and at the end of the valley confront the leader of the coup...

And his robot army, given to him by his time-travelling Nazi co-conspirators. It was genuinely amazing, the twist came out of loving nowhere and was delivered brilliantly.

Hell yeah. I loced that the Not-Nazis had vampires and warlocks in their ranks. Just like how Hitler was obsessed with the super natural.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Those romans were dangerous. A legionary with a sword is way scarier than an equal-levelled Council operative with an assault rifle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Another thing my friend and I did was use a simple hex editor to allow EVERY piece of clothing in the character creator.

He and I zipped around as Statesman & Positron (the two biggest story heroes) and tried to see how long it took to get a PM.

Another was that, as far as the game was concerned, the only difference between a hero and a villain was a single flag. Before the last update where you could switch, I had a villain Scrapper (a hero-only class).
People would message me all confused and I'd say the icon was a glitch and I was a Stalker that never used stealth.

My Merc/FF Mastermind hero was a little harder to excuse.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

rydiafan posted:

The first week City of Villains was out I hit a glitch. I exited a warehouse, and my character was suddenly like 50 ft tall. Everybody gathered around the starting quest hub and tipped me in game currency to do emote requests. After an hour or so my game crashed, and when I logged back in I was normal size again. Some people posted screenshots in a thread on the official forums, and that was my brief internet Fame.

Oh hey, assuming you were a giant wolfman I saw those screenshots. Either that or it happened more than once (definitely possible).

CoH had some great bugs. Like the one that would occasionally cause raid groups (30+ max level heroes) to zone into some other active instance instead of the raid. Which, the time when it happened to me, happened to be some random level 15 hero's mission.

It was basically the equivalent of some low-level hero dealing with a bank robbery when suddenly the entire roster of the Justice League of America kicks in the front door while saying "Wait...This isn't where the Legion of Doom live..."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There was a glitch I remember that NCSoft (or whoever was in charge at the time) refused to acknowledge where sometimes rarely you'd get attacked in a public zone by an invisible untargetable enemy, and the only way to get rid of it was to change zones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

There was a glitch I remember that NCSoft (or whoever was in charge at the time) refused to acknowledge where sometimes rarely you'd get attacked in a public zone by an invisible untargetable enemy, and the only way to get rid of it was to change zones.

Sounds a lot like an invisible bunny had combat code left in or something.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, no discussion of CoH/V should go without mention of it - the best thing about it was the travel powers. Even in modern MMORPGs you can usually either get a normal mount or a flying mount or whatever like anyone else maybe it looks different, but in CoH/V you could run super fast, fly over everything, teleport anywhere or my favorite thing which was simply jumping around really far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
You could also teleport other people. And drop them into the middle of gangs of mobs who'd rip them to shreds.