Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

So, I hate to backseat mod (I say right before I backseat mod), but is this really the best thread for this particular tangent? I mean some tangents are expected and even good, but frankly I find this one extremely tedious, particularly since anyone familiar with hyphz's posting history should realize that this isn't going to go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Fair point.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

They didn't have any IC material that enabled them to create a coherent story
It's a one shot dungeon crawl, there's no "story" to be had beyond "crawl the dungeon, get cool things to crawl more of the dungeon".

I swear to god between this thread and the incel thread you've made it your mission to be The Most Obtuse Goon, Ever™. Are you actually this thick in real life or is this some kind of terrible gimmick? Because I really hope for your sake and the sake of everyone around you it's the latter.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shut uuuuuuuuuuup

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Imp Zone Discord Dungeons and Dragons 5E campaign. Me, the Hobgoblin Walter White. The Whoreson Elf. The Minotaur with a sword that had been shoved inside the rear end of several men during the last three sessions. Mister Sophistication the Bard who wears Supreme brand robes. A bunch of other randos. We have finally found the man who has stolen the inches of our Willie's with his dark magic, "Mike Matei". He wields a dong that's several feet long as a whip (someone actually made a drawing but I need Ettins permission to post it). We are in terrible danger! The dick keeps absorbing out own penile energy and increasing in size. When we all focus fire several spells and acid bottles a miracle happens. Mike's Whopper melts and shrinks to a small size. We shove it up his arse as punishment. Justice prevaios.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

The Imp Zone Discord Dungeons and Dragons 5E campaign. Me, the Hobgoblin Walter White. The Whoreson Elf. The Minotaur with a sword that had been shoved inside the rear end of several men during the last three sessions. Mister Sophistication the Bard who wears Supreme brand robes. A bunch of other randos. We have finally found the man who has stolen the inches of our Willie's with his dark magic, "Mike Matei". He wields a dong that's several feet long as a whip (someone actually made a drawing but I need Ettins permission to post it). We are in terrible danger! The dick keeps absorbing out own penile energy and increasing in size. When we all focus fire several spells and acid bottles a miracle happens. Mike's Whopper melts and shrinks to a small size. We shove it up his arse as punishment. Justice prevaios.
Was he vulnerable to cold damage?

e: also you could all have started thinking about baseball to fees it negative sexual energy

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Ignite Memories posted:

Hyphz, the guy is a tool for not accepting the "door shuts behind you" trope as a cue to engage with the area you are now trapped in.

I dunno, this whole premise gave me PTSD flashbacks to RapeWorld's intro quest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reclaimer posted:

I dunno, this whole premise gave me PTSD flashbacks to RapeWorld's intro quest.

That's the worst idea for a theme park.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The last time I adtually got to play a 3.5 game with a new, groggy DM I assumed it'd be traps going forward and sealed doors going back, so I minmaxed up a stupidly difficult to kill character and then just charged headlong through the dungeon any time the team started faffing about. I also had an extremely high grapple and strength score so I grabbed our group's resident Knave Goofus and held them over my head while I advanced.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to rely on the DM to spend an hour debating with someone like Hyphz if you take matters(and his obtuse rear end) into your own hands. Be the change you want to see in the dungeon. :v:

Now that I finally finished the gently caress Druids story(only took 4 months in game, and two years to write ayyyy) I can get to the into the the last few chapters of the Evil Campaign. I'm already done with the next bit, but I've got a fun trip to the hospital with my father tomorrow so I might not be able to post tonight.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
So I started running an IRL game for friends and my brother again. We have not had a chance to actually roleplay properly in about 18 months IRL due to:

1. My brother getting cancer
2. One of my friends having 2 strokes in a month
3. Another friend getting mono

I am running DnD 5e because half of the group is mostly used to Pathfinder, and two others do not really care for games with more narrative mechanics.

In the first real session the party had a fight with some Goblins and chased them off, before finding a magic sword. Now I had expected the Warlock to pick it up as he was going a melee build, but the Ranger ran in and went mine! As it was a sword stuck in the ground, she has joked about being the rightful king of a country somewhere so I might do something with that later, although probably a small duchy of fiefdom instead of an actual kingdom.

One of the main plot threads kicked in when a few nights later a magic spaceship tore up through the sky and broke up, part of it landing in the forest nearby to the village. The party heads off to investigate and managed to barely suppress their murderhobo instincts upon meeting one of the crew's familiars and followed it back to the part of the ship and meeting the NPC. Upon discovering the NPC had a magic laser gun, predictably, two of the party wanted one (or that one), while another PC who is a milsim and history aficionado freaked out that the NPC could outrange their spells and bows.

Everyone had fun so I am looking forward to next week and seeing what mess the party gets into trying to find the rest of the spaceship.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

quote:

pink sasquatches came into the valley and the community befriended them via go kart racing them

If Mario and Bowser have taught me anything, it is that this is the universal remedy that allows us to turn friends into enemies and avoid hurt feelings, physical confrontations, and kidnapped princesses.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A little preview of how Krowe's luck went last session...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

JustJeff88 posted:

If Mario and Bowser have taught me anything, it is that this is the universal remedy that allows us to turn friends into enemies and avoid hurt feelings, physical confrontations, and kidnapped princesses.

Right!?

In this case, it started when the sasquatches decided they wanted to leave the valley by building cars. Except they didn't take into account that the valley is roughly bowl-shaped, so they got part-way up while flipping off everyone else, and then just kinda slid back into the rest of the valley, confused and annoyed.

But then the rest of the community built karts with engines (powered by "laser rocks") and gave the sasquatches engines too.

Then the sasquatches became taxi drivers, because it let them interact with the rest of the community on their own terms.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CobiWann posted:

A little preview of how Krowe's luck went last session...

What the blistering green gently caress IS that thing, other than scary big?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Previously on Tanicus – Teleporting wasps, a crumbling keep filled with bandits led by a vicious werewolf, and the discovery of a noble assumed dead who granted one of the characters a barony of their own…

As the group sat down at the table this past session, we were greeted with a new sheet of paper inserted into our character folders.

The DM decided to play around with the rules for hit dice as, over the course of two campaigns, there have been very few moments (if any) where the party has exhausted all their hit dice before having enough rest/downtime to recover them all. We’re going to be beta-testing them over the next few weeks to work out the kinks, already using several of them during our session.

*knock knock knock*

Pause.

*knock knock knock*

Having camped overnight in Brokenspire Keep (soon to be renamed Woodlawn Keep in reference to Krowe’s quasi-new, not-legitimate-at-the-moment barony), Kynwal is awakened by the sound of tap-tap-tapping. A few feet from his bedroll, a sallow crane holds a wooden knot in its mouth and is rapping it against a large stone. As Kynwal watches, the bird meets his gaze with avian eyes that flash purple with arcane energy. It turns away from the wizard and hops a few feet away before turning back and cawing softly. Kynwal stands up and proceeds to follow the bird as it continues to hop across the courtyard towards the gatehouse. It flies up and lands on the crank that opens up the portcullis leading out of the keep.
Kynwal opens the gate and follows the bird. It hops from tree branch to tree branch as it leads the wizard deep into the woods, realizing along the way that the purple energy leaking from the swallow crane is tinged with Divination magic.

After about an hour, the woods open up into a large clearing. The trees lining it have had most of their larger branches snapped off and put into a flat pile in the middle of clearing. As Kynwal approaches he sees that grass has begun to grow over the plie of branches, however grass has also been added to the pile to make it look like the pile is older than it actually is, all meant to help camouflage the pit underneath. A ten-foot hole in the ground, Kynwal at first believed it to be nothing more than a pit trap. The continued cawing and wing-flapping of the sallow crane however piques Kynwal’s curiosity. As he moves one of the branches to get a better look at the pit, the light of the moon glimmers for a moment and draws Kynwal’s attention to the outline of what appears to be a skull.

One Light spell later, the contents of the pit are revealed to Kynwal, who promptly turns and double-times it back to the keep as the sallow crane disappeared into the sky.

quote:

Kynwal – ”Biff? Biff, wake up.

Biff – ”Huh? Dude…it’s not my watch…”

Kynwal – ”No, it’s not your watch. I have need of your talents. I found something out in the woods, a large hole in the ground…”

Biff – ”Well if you’re waking me up, is it a pit or is it a grave?”

Kynwal – ”It’s both. It’s a pit trap with some dead bodies inside. They have definitely not been given last rites or anything close to a proper burial. But there is more. There are six bodies in the pit…and from what I saw, they look like…well, they may be us.”

Biff – ”WHAT THE gently caress?!?”

Aya –*sitting up*”Are we under attack?”

Typhomine – *sitting up*”Is something wrong?”

Krowe – *sitting up*”I swear Paladin, those drugs aren’t mine!”

Hale (whose player was out of town this week) stayed behind with Kolton Greywinter as the remainder of the party mounted up and headed to the pit. Upon arrival Biff grabbed a torch and climbed down into the grave to inspect the bodies. There were six skeletons in the grave. They appeared to have been killed or executed before being thrown into the pit – some were burned, some had been stabbed or bludgeoned, and one may have been strangled – and Biff approximated that they had been in the pit for almost a year. Four of the skeletons were human, with one in the rotted remains of hide armor, one what appeared to be tattered clerical robes with a wooden clerical medallion around its neck, one clad in what was left in orange-and-purple war wizard attire, and the remaining one wearing rusted chain mail with a puplre-and-gold tabard emblazoned with a silver dragon clutching a sword. The fifth skeleton was that of a dwarf in leather armor, while the remaining skeleton had a light, almost avian bone structure with a crested skull and the skeletal remains of a tail.

quote:

Biff – ”Yep. It looks like these bodies could have been us once.”

Typhomine – ”How can you be sure?”

Krowe – ”Well, that one skeleton is wearing the tarbard of a Dragonhall…my branch’s colors are blue-and-white though, not purple-and-gold.”

Kynwal – ”Biff, see if the wizard has a signet ring.”

Biff – ”Yeah…it has one on its finger.

Kynwal – ”…that is indeed a Starkweather signet ring, although I wear mine around my neck, not on my finger.”

Biff – ”There’s…there’s something off about these bodies. It’s not just that they were buried without the proper funeral proceedings or last rites. Their spirits…passed on wrong somehow. Something happened to their souls that just wasn’t normal.”

Typhomine – ”It is fortunate then, whenever something that isn’t normal happens to a soul, you’re the person to call!”

Biff – ”That exact sentence is in Lethik’s vows.”

As the party gathered branches to make a proper funeral pyre in the bit, we bandied about several different theories about the bodies in the pit and what they could mean for our party.

1 – The bodies in the pit are our future selves. Kynwal and Biff played down this theory in that while there was divination magic on the sallow crane there wasn’t any hint of magic in the pit, be it on the bodies or on any items that remained inside, although it did appear that the bodies may have been looted at some point.

2 – The bodies in the pit were our past selves. When the victims were murdered, their souls left their bodies and somehow met up with us as nearly identical counterparts. Aya brought this up in the course of asking the party about their dreams, and during that discussion it turned out the party HAD once experienced the exact same dream, right before the meeting a few weeks ago (aka the first session) where the party had fought a figure in black armor with red wings…and fallen at his hand. Biff mentioned remembering being burned alive in that dream, and the body of the cleric in the bit did appear to have been burned to death. Krowe mentioned that he did remember that dream as well, which was odd since he usually drank enough to pass out and (purposefully) NOT remember his dreams…

3 – The bodies in the bit were not related to us in any way save for their physical and social similarities. Someone skilled in Divining magic saw our party and the deeds we were accomplish and decided to stop us before we could interfere with their plans…however they grabbed the wrong six people instead of us. Typhomine was the one who made this suggestion, pointing out that while the bodies in the pit had no trace of Divination magic, the sallow crane emanated its resonance.

4 – The bodies in the pit are clones/simulacrums of the party. This option causes Typhomine a bit of stress. When inquired about it, Typhomine mentions that his parents refer to his difficulty in controlling his dragon's breath as a 'glitch,' a phrase that could also be applied to clones that have gone rogue.

After setting the pyre pit alight, the party headed back to Brokenspire/Woodlawn Keep with more questions than answers. Along the way, Krowe made a request of Aya.

quote:

Krowe – ”Aya, I’d like to ask you a favor. If I die…”

Aya – ”When I kill you when you turn into a werewolf?”

Krowe – ”If that comes to pass, yes. No matter what my manner of death, I want you to do whatever is necessary to ensure I am not buried in my family’s crypt. I’m kind of in the air on whether or not I’d settle for being in the family cemetery but whatever happens, I do not wish to be buried in the catacombs underneath the keep. Will you promise me this?”

Aya – ”I promise you Krowe.”

Krowe – ”Thank you. You have my permission to have me cremated. Or stuffed. Whichever’s cheaper.”

Aya – ”You would make a very good trophy should your wife choose to have you mounted on her wall. Oh! You would also make an excellent scarecrow!”

DM – ”Yeah, you could even use his name to spell it differently.”

The next morning, the party prepared to break camp and head north.

As Kolton himself pointed out, the revelation that he was alive posed the potential for potent political problems. With the rest of the Greywinter clan assassinated at the hands of the Red Wolf’s bandits, Kolton’s younger brother Kennet was the ruling Count of Wintermount. Kolton would have an immediate claim on the throne once his presence was revealed, and the announcement alone would set off a flurry of machinations – not just from whomever set up the ambush of the Greywinters to put a child on the throne, but from the various noble houses and merchant guilds jockeying for position under the new regime, plus the schemes of the nation of Korvis to the north. After some discussion with Kolton about his desire to remain hidden until the proper time, it was suggested by several members of the party that the best place for him to lay low would be with one of the barbarian tribes, specifically the Plainsmen who were overseen by Jerrik, Son of Falke, Bearmantle, Chieftain of the Mountain Run tribe, Chief-of-Chiefs for the southern tribes of Wintermount, and most importantly father to Aya, daughter of Jerrik, Bearmantle. The barbarians live in southern Kaeryn, co-existing with the Kaeri in return for providing a bulwark against the kingdom’s various enemies such as the elves of Ancellyon to the east and the various goblinoids of the Shifting Steppes. Living in the Eastwyld while not being part of the nobility, Mountain Run would allow Kolton to hide in plain sight under the protection of one of the most powerful non-Kaeri leaders in the kingdom.

From Brokenspire/Woodlawn Keep, it would normally take almost a week of riding to reach Mountain Run which would involve skirting too close to Fallcrest for comfort. Instead, the party rode north without incident, fording the Brandywine River on the second day, to arrive at a large barbarian totem on the morning of the fourth day. The totem represented one of the secrets of the Plains barbarians in that it served as part of a mystical teleportation network that provided travel between the various barbarian villages and settlements across the plains. As the daughter of the Chieftain, Aya was attuned to the totems and trained in their use, which would allow the party to shave several days off of their travel time and allow us to avoid Fallcrest entirely.

As the party approached the totem however…

quote:

”TALK. TALK. TALK.”

quote:

”TALK! STUPID STONE GIANT, THINK HE BETTER THEN ME! TALK!”

A Hill Giant has found itself in a heated argument with the stone totem, and it’s hard to tell if he’s winning or not. Biff has an idea to talk to the Hill Giant and convince it to walk away, however Kynwal has an idea to throw a Fire Bolt at it. Aya and Krowe charge the Hill Giant yelling something about “my culture is not your drat interspecies rivalry” as the Hill Giant finally notices the party.

quote:

”OW! WE TALK LATER STONE GIANT! HELP ME!”

The party spends a round pinging away at him, barely scratching the Hill Giant as it yells for assistance from the totem. As Krowe hacks away at him with its sword the Hill Giant decides it’s had enough. He takes his staff in both hands…

…and belly flops on Krowe.

Krowe is lying in a small crater on the ground as the Hill Giant stands up, swatting away at the hail of bullets and Fire Bolts. ”OW! COVER MY ESCAPE!” It uses its full movement to run away as Aya comes over to help pull Krowe to his feet, reeking of Hill Giant gut sweat.

quote:

Krowe – ”You gave this Hill Giant a legendary action?”

DM – ”No, but this is a special Hill Giant. I did give him something extra.”

Krowe – ”You realize this is how a PC gains a nemesis.”

Typhomine – ”Oooooh, kind of like ‘Shadow of Mordor’ only this nemesis killed your dignity.”

Krowe -”Krowe isn’t going to take any actions next round so he can process what the hell just happened.”

Aya uses her attunement with the totem to “pull” open the hands of the lowest figure on the pole. Krowe is sent through first as he is familiar to the inhabitants of Mountain Run, with the rest of the party following through and Aya stepping through last, closing the portal behind her. The village of Mountain Run is comprised of a mixture of temporary tends and semi-permanent longhouses, with several tribe members glancing up at the party as they step through the portal before resuming their morning tasks.

Aya is immediately barraged by a gaggle of children who surround her, as is Krowe to a lesser extent. One of the children takes off towards a nearby fighting pit where two men are sparring in unarmed combat. The child brings back one of these men, a middle aged man with scars on his body and a noble bearing. Aya immediately steps up to the man and throws her arms around him.

quote:

Aya – ”Aki!”

Jerrik – ”Decorum, ianca.”

Aya – ”Apologies, chieftain.”

I would like to point out that during the time that the party spent in Mountain Run, Aya’s player would pepper her speech with words from the Plainsman’s “language,” such as “aki (daddy), “ianca” (princess), and “gora” (city folk). It was ridiculously cool and I wanted to give props to her the player for dedicated roleplaying...and point out that Typhomine is told by one of the barbarian children that Aya is “shota,” a twin...and that twins are considered a bad omen among the plainsmen...

Krowe gives Jerrik a formal greeting, with Typhomine noting that it’s the first time he’s actually seen Krowe act like a nobleman. Aya provides formal introductions for the rest of the party, with Jerrik noting that Typhomine is the second dragonborn that he has ever met. Just as Aya finishes with the introductions…

quote:

”Husband! Why was I not made aware that you would be arriving?”

A barbarian woman is stalking towards the group, with several people who are obviously adventurers flanking her. Krowe turns to face her, shoulders squared, as she approaches.

quote:

Krowe – ”I am sorry, I was not aware I had to report all my travel to you.”

??? – ”Then it is obvious you require someone to teach you proper manners.”

Krowe – ”Maybe. Do you know of anyone who would make an appropriate teacher?”

At that, a hand axe flies through the air, embedded itself in the ground square between Krowe’s feet. As the weapon quivers from the impact, Krowe looks up and smiles at the woman.

quote:

Krowe – ”Impressive. Last time you just grazed my right boot.”

Biff – ”Oh my God Krowe, what the hell are you…”

Aya – ”No, it is all well! This is foreplay for the two of them.”

Indeed, after a few seconds of tension Krowe steps forward to kiss the barbarian woman, just laying one on her, she responds with a Natural 20 on an opposed Strength roll to lift him off his feet and half-spin, half-dip Krowe before putting him back down. Krowe turns back to the party, a look of joy and happiness on his face.

quote:

Krowe - ”Everyone, this is Rune, daughter of Bran, Wildsky, for whom I have the pleasure of calling my beloved wife.”

Biff – ”Wait…you…and her? Yeah, that makes sense.”

Rune – ”Well met. Allow me to introduce my companions, the Silverhelm Irregulars.”

Krowe – ”Well met. Allow me to introduce my companions, the Sword of Fallcrest.”

Rune – ”A good name. A sword is an adequate weapon.”

The Silverhelm Irregulars have several members, including a husband and wife team from whose last name the company takes their title, a Cleric of the Three (the primary religion for Kaeryn that venerates the three eidolons most closely tied to Arwin, goddess of Justice and Law), a Saoridh (an elven race once known as the Bahnsidh who lived underground until recently and now have several surface cities on the continent), a ranger-looking human, and a man whose name and appearance are Korvin in nature.

Jerrik notes that while he is welcome to see his daughter once again, he was not expecting to see her so soon into her travels outside of the tribe. He invites the party into the longhouse to partake in a late breakfast, which after nearly a week of travel rations is eagerly agreed to. The remains of a cooked deer sit over a firepit, for which Krowe neatly slices off large slices for the party. Over venison and ale, Aya lays out everything that has happened since the beginning of her journeys, leaving out no details or secrets up to the discovery of Kolton Greywinter, including the discovery of the sword Angrimar and the illusion placed upon it to keep its identity secret.

quote:

Jerrik –”It appears to be a normal sword to me. A well-made sword, but a normal sword nonetheless. Perhaps it is because the sword is much more important to your culture than ones. Besides, our swords are much larger.”

Krowe – “I…well, I mean, your warriors tend to use greatswords…”

At this point two small children both run past the tent flap hitting each other with one-handed wooden swords larger than Angrimar. Jerrik agrees to take Kolton in and keep him safe for as long as is required. As the matter is settled, Krowe finishes his ale before raising his bandaged forearm.

quote:

Krowe – “Chieftain, there is another reason that we have come here today…”

Aya – “Oh! Yes, Krowe was bitten by a werewolf!”

Rune – ”What? How did this happen?”

Krowe – ”In our pursuit of Reinard Lenfaux, I was reckless and found myself alone with him. He bit me, however Aya managed to intervene and slay him. Your daughter was very strong and determined to make sure he was vanquished.”

Biff – ”I managed to cure the disease, however the curse is still upon him.”

The Cleric of the Three confirmed that Krowe was indeed cursed, and at that Jerrik called for Rune to go summon the Huntsman.

quote:

Aya – ”There is more. The Red Wolf was not alone. There was a witch with him, one that appeared to have once been a member of our tribe. She told the Red Wolf to spare Krowe and recognized me before turning into a rat and running away.”

Jerrik – ”Cona, Daughter of Conn. She was banished from our tribe several years ago. It is somewhat comforting to see that she still upholds some of our traditions. What is of concern is her association with a werewolf. We have been having troubles of our own with beings who may be possible shapechangers. Our scouts have seen a number of figures in the hills that appeared to be half-man and half-jackal, often accompanied by large dogs and gray-skinned humanoids in leather armor that barely covers them. These creatures have been nipping at our borders over the past few weeks, and last night several of our people were kidnapped by a large group of them. We were about to send two scouting parties out to track them when you arrived.”

Biff –”Can we be of any assistance? There’s no way we can sit here while you’re heading out to rescue your people, and our company first came together during a jackalwere assault.”

Jerrik – ”Thank you. I hope you have been keeping your tracking skills sharp, daughter.”

Krowe – ”She has…and her actions during her time away from her tribe would make you proud. She has been strong, bold, and someone I know has my back when we’re in the middle of a scrape.”

By this point, Rune has returned with the Huntsman – Talyn, Son of Tarn, Elmspear. Krowe unwraps the bandage, revealing the werewolf bite. While it’s stopped bleeding it’s still red and bloody. ”Do you have any parts of the werewolf’s body by any chance?” Biff produces LenFaux’s head, which Talyn takes, studies, and proceeds to pull a tooth out before casually tossing the head over his shoulder.

quote:

Biff – ”Whoa there, I go long and catch the head before it hits the ground! Sorry, we’re gonna need to turn this in for the bounty.”

DM – ”You notice that no one around the table is flinching at the sight of pulling a tooth out of a severed head and tossing it around. In fact, several of the kids watching through the tent flap go ‘coooooooooooooool’ as Biff catches it with one hand. As you put the head back in your sack, Talyn takes a waterskin from the table. He places the tooth inside and adds several herbs that smell absolutely foul, several more herbs that smell incredibly foul, and tops it all off with a couple of carrot shavings. ‘For flavor,’ he says as he hands Krowe the waterskin. ‘Do not drink the whole thing, just take a deep sip.’”

Krowe – ”Alright, Krowe does as Talyn asks.”

DM – ”The carrots do NOTHING for the taste. As you hold the liquid in your mouth Talin takes an arrowhead and just slides it right under the skin above your wrist. He pushes it all the way up to just below your elbow. As you watch your arm starts oozing this nasty looking black liquid for a few seconds, and you can feel the werewolf’s corruption leaving your body.”

Kynwal – ”Knowing Krowe’s history this is probably purging him of several other things as well.”

The jackalweres had been seen roaming the eastern hills prior to their assault the previous evening. Three separate sets of tracks lead from the site of the kidnapping, one to the north, one to the east, and one of the northeast. Jerrik’s party takes the northern path while the Silverhelm Irregulars would head east, leaving our party to take the northeastern path. Before departing, Rune once again kisses Krowe without any sort of modesty…

quote:

Biff – “OK, I’m sorry. Don’t get me wrong, Krowe’s an attractive guy who has his charms but...how did he land a woman as smoking hot as Rune?”

Aya – ”It started out as an arranged political marriage. However Krowe is strong, loyal, honest, brave, and apparently very adequate in bed.”

Rune – ”Sometimes moreso.”

Krowe – ”My father always said that I excelled in mediocrity.”

Another barbarian rides up during time, insisting that she ride along with Jerrik in tracking down the missing barbarians.

quote:

Jerrik - “No Thresh. I need my right arm to remain with the tribe in case there is another attack.”

Thresh - “You are correct chieftain. Aya. You are looking well. Be safe this day.”

Aya - “You as well.”

Krowe is the only one besides Aya who knows the truth behind the stilted conversation – Thresh is Aya's stepmother as well as her aunt. Aya's mother Ode and Thresh were twins, and both were in a hunting party that was ambushed. Ode was killed and Thresh barely escaped. Jerrik mourned for a year before deciding that Aya...and her twin brother Arn...both needed a mother, and so married his late wife's twin.

Awkward...

Aya manages to pull a mastiff from her Bag of Tricks who was a great help in following the tracks and picking up the scent of the kidnappers. After an hour the party crests a rise covered in tall grass when Aya suddenly calls for a halt. Three hundred feet in the distance on top of another rise sat a group of jackals and gray-skinned humans who appeared to be wearing what could only be described as black leather bondage gear. The party drew up a plan to bring them charging in our direction with Hale taking a long shot while hiding in the tall grass while the rest of the party split up, each half taking one side of the hill, to flank and collapse on our opponents as they ran ahead. Hale’s shot managed drop one of the jackals, which was enough to them charging as several of the humans change into their jackalwere forms.

The party easily carves through half of them before the jackalweres turn their gazes upon them. Low Constitution rolls put half the party down including Biff, our healer.

Krowe manages to knock one of the cultists unconscious before spinning around and assisting Kynwal in striking down one of the jackalweres who kept advancing on him after a particular nasty Aganazzar’s Scorcher. The mastiff helped wake up the sleeping members of the party via licking their faces (NOT ”puppy kisses”) and we managed to recover and take out everyone else without too much problem. Krowe and Kynwal drag the unconscious cultist onto the rise and throw him at Biff’s feet. Around his neck the cultist is wearing a small round mirror, highly polished. A combination of Religion and History checks determine that the mirror is a divine “symbol” of a sort, representing an elf from Ancellyon named Ullestra who received a godspark from the goddess of death Annwn upon that goddess’ death as the hands of the renegade archangel Az. Granted a godspark as a punishment for bandying about with a half-fiend, Ullestra would call out to those deep into their own self-worth and become the vhail of lust and vanity.

Biff wakes the cultist up and proceeds to ask him where the barbarian prisoners had been taken. Saying that he wasn’t afraid to die but it was too late for the party to help them anyway, the cultist revealed that the prisoners had been taken to Calidran, a series of stone ruins pressed against the base of the mountains, to be sacrificed.

quote:

Biff – ”Thank you. And I’ll strangle him to death.”

DM – ”He seems to be into it right until you crack his neck.”

Calidran has been abandoned for centuries with no sign of habitation by man or beast, and as such its depths unexplored by the barbarians who are content to keep an eye on its perimeter. The entrance of the ruins lie at the convergence of the three sets of footprints that the search parties had been following, with our party getting their first. We tie up the horses as Aya leaves a symbol to indicate to her people that we had gone into the ruins searching for the kidnapping victims. Moving quietly, the sun has started to set as the party comes across another set of cultists. As opposed to sitting with their pet jackals these cultists are yelling and screaming, stabbing out with their knives and cutting each other on the parts of their skin exposed by their skimpy bondage armor. (Kynwal – It’s a ‘Hellrasier’ cosplay convention except here all the cosplayers are in shape.”) We move forward, intent on getting the drop on them until Krowe rolls a Natural one on his stealth check. His foot slips into a sinkhole and on the way down he trips and smacks his helmet against a large rock. The resulting clang and annoyed shout of pain from Krowe immediately grabs the attention of all the cultists, who turn and stare at Krowe as he stands up, brushing himself off and trying to maintain his dignity.

quote:

Krowe – ”So…anyone here looking for a power top?”

At that, two figures emerge from behind a stone wall. One of them is dressed in dark clothing with a mirror around his neck, while the other is a stunning red-skinned woman with demonic wings.

quote:

Succubus –”Step away from my submissives!”

No jackalweres in this battle fortunately, and while a succubus would normally be a huge deal the party lucked out in that the DM’s dice took a turn in our favor, although our dice were streaky as well and the mook cultists hung in there longer than they should have. It was Biff who was the MVP as the succubus zeroed in on him and Biff proceeded to simply beat the hell out of her with his warhammer while Aya and Krowe hacked away with their magical swords. In an effort to turn the tide the succubus grabbed Krowe and tried to drain him with her soul-stealing kiss.

One Constitution save later, Krowe’s response was to reach out and grab one of her boobs.

quote:

Krowe – ”Wow, nice rack. Enhance Ability?”

Before the succubus could respond, Biff crushed her skull with his warhammer, turning her into a puddle of black ooze.

quote:

Krowe – ”Good work, Biff! Way to send that creature back to the…Abyss? Nine Hells?”

DM – ”In Fifth Edition, succubi and incubi can be either demons or devils.”

Typhomine – ”So what you’re saying is that they go both ways?”

Aya – ”Krowe! That devil had its tongue down your throat!”

Krowe – ”I didn’t ask for it!”

Kynwal – ”Let’s be fair, with Krowe’s history his name is probably written on bathroom stalls across the Nine Hells. She probably knew him my reputation.”

”There is no time. Bring forth the sacrifices!”

Amidst a set of stone ruins, a large door had been set into the foot of the mountain. Five barbarian prisoners are chained together with the lead held by another of the cultists, with a pair of jackalweres flanking them. Near the door sit a pair of two-headed demonic dogs, guarding a beautiful looking creature radiating deadly grace – a lamia.

The hit dice rules we were beta testing game into play from the very beginning of this encounter. As the jackalweres and demonic dogs rushed the party, the cultists began to drag the barbarians towards the door. Krowe’s response was to dash right up the middle, splitting between their opponents, in an attempt to catch the cultists, with Kynwal behind him as fire support.

The lamia responded by throwing up a Wall of Stone.

Deciding that there was NO WAY he was going to let the tribesmen get sacrificed, Krowe sacrificed a hit die for three extra squares of movement, just enough for him to grab on to the chain attached to the last barbarian. An impromptu game of tug-of-war began between Krowe and the cultist as Kynwal blasted the other cultist into oblivion while the rest of the party engaged the jackalweres. The party’s luck took a turn however as during the battle, Aya and Biff were both bitten by the jackalweres and infected with the disease of lycanthropy while one of the demonic dogs refused to die and hounded Hale, knocking her unconscious twice during the battle.

Seeing her sacrifices being restrained, the lamia walked up to Krowe as he struggled with the chain. She gently laid her hand on his cheek for an Intoxicating Touch, giving Krowe disadvantage on his Wisdom saves, just before casting Suggestion which Krowe fails miserably to save from.

quote:

”Would you be a dear and kill the wizard?”

Krowe spins around and drives Angrimar square into Kynwal’s ribs for maximum damage. Biff and Aya are still trying to deal with the drat demonic dog who’s all over Hale, leaving Typhomine to deal with Krowe…

quote:

”I cast Puppet! Krowe, run towards the mountain!”

Disadvantage on Wisdom saves means Krowe drops Angrimar and runs full bore towards the mountain, although he doesn’t have enough speed to get there. Kynwal is up next…

quote:

”Disadvantage on Wisdom savings throws? Alright. Tasha’s Hideous Laughter.”

Another failed Wisdom saving throw with disadvantage. As Krowe falls prone laughing his rear end off, Kynwal grabs Angrimar off the ground and quickly retreats. ”Guys, Krowe’s mind controlled and trying to kill me!”
Aya finally slays the demonic dog and turns to help Kynwal, but first Biff breaks out the Keoghtom’s Ointment and rubs it on Aya to cure her of the jackalwere’s bite…

quote:

Aya – “Oh yes, get it in there good!”

Biff – ”Don’t worry, Biff is REALLY good as body rubs.”

Kynwal – ”And at this moment, someone in Lethik’s temple is wondering how his patron became the god of masseuses.”

Krowe manages to get back to his feet, and since he still has a crossbow on him he takes aim and misses Kynwal with a bolt…that sails through the corner of the Wall of Stone, revealing the Wall is actually an illusion. Typhomine manages to dive forward and grab the end of the chain just as the lamia grabs her end (Kynwal having Fire Bolted the remaining cultist to death) and begins to pull. Somehow Typhomine wins the contested strength roll and YANKS the barbarians through the illusionary wall away from the fight. Aya uses her hit dice for extra movement to charge in and smack the lamia for enough damage to break the Charm Person on Krowe. He grabs Angrimar out of mid-air as Kynwal throws it to him and joins his cousin-in-law in carving up the lamia, using their hit dice for extra damage to absolutely beat the crap out of her. It’s Hale however who gets the killing blow, firing a shot that catches the lamia right between the eyes.

As the party collapses, out of spells and in desperate need of a rest, the other two barbarian parties arrive, Jerrik’s group dragging a lamia of their own. As the barbarians finish clearing the ruins to ensure no more cultists lie in ambush, Typhomine begins to cast detect magic on the lamia’s pile of loot…

…and a series of words appear on the door in arcane script.

quote:

A thousand souls entreated me,
And thousands more may fail.
For skeins of mortal tinkering,
Are rarely worthy tales.

Yet if you live a life replete,
You surely will descend.
I open but for tales complete,
So make a worthy end.

There are other words as well, written, carved, scratched into the walls and stones of the ruins. Biff and Krowe both recognize the language as Old Searian, an ancient tongue more suited for books and scrolls than verbal communication. It’s been used to carve several variations of the same warning over and over again.

quote:

Locked within his own catacombs is Calidran the Mad.

Calidran the Mad digs too deep.

Awoken the madness did Calidran.

Doom has been brought upon us by Calidran the Mad.

The party wisely decides that whatever lies behind the door will wait until someone much better suited, better skilled, and better equipped comes along. As evening falls, the session ends with the barbarians setting up camp to allow the party to take a long rest and recover for the journey back to the city of Fallcrest.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 12, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ah I assume the DM is using the variant giant traits and abilities from Storm Kings Thunder for that Hill Giant. I like them as they give all the Giants a bit more variation.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ah I assume the DM is using the variant giant traits and abilities from Storm Kings Thunder for that Hill Giant. I like them as they give all the Giants a bit more variation.

The DM was very proud of the new Hill Giant minis he got - two male, one female. They do look really cool and scream “Hill Giant.”

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Question: was this update all one session? The reason I ask is that you say at the start that Hale's player was out of town, and then Hale plays a decisive role in the battles towards the end. I'm not sure if I've misread the situation, Hale's player came back, or someone else played the character. With battles this tough, you need all the hands you can get.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Question: was this update all one session? The reason I ask is that you say at the start that Hale's player was out of town, and then Hale plays a decisive role in the battles towards the end. I'm not sure if I've misread the situation, Hale's player came back, or someone else played the character. With battles this tough, you need all the hands you can get.

Typhomine's player ran Hale this week...and since he'll be out of town this weekend, Hale's player will be running him. We've all played together long enough that we're comfortable running each other's PC's when we're out of town and unable to Skype/video in.

Oh, and went back and added a few things I missed, such as how twins are a very bad sign in Aya's tribe...and that her dead mom and current stepmom were twins, she herself has a twin brother, and Krowe has an older pair of twin brothers...

Also, I'm thinking about Dropboxing the recaps for people to access outside of the thread...what Word/OpenOffice format would work well for combining text and pictures?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 24, 2018

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

CobiWann posted:

Typhomine's player ran Hale this week...and since he'll be out of town this weekend, Hale's player will be running him. We've all played together long enough that we're comfortable running each other's PC's when we're out of town and unable to Skype/video in.

Oh, and went back and added a few things I missed, such as how twins are a very bad sign in Aya's tribe...and that her dead mom and current stepmom were twins, she herself has a twin brother, and Krowe has an older pair of twin brothers...

Also, I'm thinking about Dropboxing the recaps for people to access outside of the thread...what Word/OpenOffice format would work well for combining text and pictures?

Google doc? I've been debating doing the same thing and doing some editing. I only seem to manage to find the time to write updates when I'm inebriated. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Yes please.
I'd say google docs as well. The other alternative is a dropboxed word doc.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
There's Obsidian Portal for an RPG-focused wiki system, but putting everything in there might be a pain and a half

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NZ_eY0xVxQcE8DtXS1nVFEhsoQSWTNycmKbEXcn_h0Q/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if this works.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I can read that and see the pictures. The outline at the side pics up on all the bolding as chapter headers too, so I can warp to any quote or sound effect

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I can read that and see the pictures. The outline at the side pics up on all the bolding as chapter headers too, so I can warp to any quote or sound effect

Great! I’ll work on the others over the holiday.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 24, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Today I bring to you another mouth-watering adventure from the World of Ruin Catering Company.

Friday morning - Lemon the Otter, Colby the Minotaur, Soufflé the Fairy, Bento the Cat and Guacamole the Mole arrive at work - they are greeted and let in by their manager Alfredo the Hobbit, who is busy balancing the books. Alfredo hasn't made any breakfast today, but he informs the crew that there's a bunch of extra greens that aren't going to be good for much longer and he invites them to make themselves some salads (here I pass out crayons and little drawings of leaf-filled bowls for the players to dress). While everybody is busy making breakfast, Alfredo lays out today's job - the WoRCC landed the Gateaux Vineyard Annual Wine Tasting Soiree gig, and they need to provide a top-quality charcuterie table for 40 people. There's time for some shopping/gathering and prep, but then they need to trek to the vineyard and work the party in the evening. The chefs discuss the necessary preparations with Alfredo over salads, and I pass out breakfast AP. From there, everybody gets an allowance of two skill rolls for the Prep Phase.

Lemon and Colby set out together to the market to pick out some nice soft cheeses. They eventually find a rat-man merchant named Havarti who has a good selection. When pressed, he claims that the beefaloes were raised 'in good condition, like family', so they bought cheeses from him. I explain Strike's wealth system to the players, wherein you roll your wealth against the item's availability to determine if you are able to successfully make the transaction. Twists will either cost more than expected, inflicting the Short condition, or result in a flaw in the product or service acquired (or both). Colby rolls a 3 [Success + two costs], so he is stricken with both. I assign the cheese a mystery twist (more on this later) and assign Colby 'Short'. Colby's player produces the level 1 cash parcel that I had previously awarded them for visiting the portrait studio, and burns it to remedy the condition.

Did I mention the portrait studio? Chanterelle the painter will pay a level 1 cash parcel to anyone who poses for him (provides me with original art of their character.)

Meanwhile back at the catery, Guacamole is putting together a selection of jams and mustards to accompany the meats and cheeses.
Bento, who has never made bread before, looked up the technique in one of Dutch Baby's baking books and did his very best to bake some. It went poorly. Rolling a Twist + Cost, I give his player a choice between a personal condition or a depletion of resources (all the yeast). He opts for the former, and I inflict 'Crestfallen' on Bento - he now has disadvantage in social situations until he can improve his mood somehow. Soufflé, distracted by the yeasty mess happening nearby, fails her knife check to thin-slice some meats and completely dices the prosciutto - thinking quickly, Guacamole rescues the meats by using an alchemy check to mix up a cheesy dip with them.

At this time, Lemon and Colby get back to the kitchen. Seeing that the prosciutto is gone, Lemon rolls to retrieve some of his cured meats from the smoker - a 5 is well enough to replace the meat Soufflé used with a variety of smoked fish and salt-cured meats. Colby took a look at the cookbook Bento was working from, and made his own unskilled check - he succeeds with a 6, and learns the Breadmaking skill in the process of producing some tasty focaccia!

For her second roll, Soufflé attempts to make some crackers and gets [Succeed with a cost]. Her glassy wing is burned badly by a hot baking sheet (Injured condition) but Lemon uses his Lemon-Aid skill to ice it down and soothe the burn. Bento uses his last roll to produce some crudités with his sharp kittycat claws. They gather all the meats, cheeses, crackers and accoutrements, bundle them up and set off to the west, to the tumultuous plains.

The tumultuous plains are full of steppes, valleys and crags left over from the great Rending of the World, but Colby uses his “Great Sense of Direction” trick to assure they go the right way. (and who better to navigate than a minotaur?) They travel for an hour or so, eventually finding their way to a narrow canyon with some monsters they can’t find a way around.

I rolled on a kludged-together random encounter table to design the encounter, and got a very strange combination of monsters. It started with just a lone Mesquito buzzing around but then after the first round of combat I brought each other monster out from hiding (or revealed them when the players used Assess to look for hidden enemies). A pair of Sarantulas drop down from the trees, A Quasant and Leavender make their way out of their hiding spot in the bushes and a Wendigo beelines his way at them from the back of the battle map, screaming like the explodey guys from Serious Sam.

Bento lures in the Mesquito and scratches it badly, and Colby moves up to protect him from the oncoming spiders. Souffle puts down a zone of vile glowing necrogoop that makes everyone within it Vulnerable 1, and Lemon starts pulling spiders into the zone with his fishing pole.
Meanwhile the Wendigo is beelining at them from the other side of the battlefield, sprinting 8+8 squares per turn, all the while screaming at the top of its lungs.

“aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

the Leavender and Quasant move up closer to the combat, because they couldn't do much. The Quasant's aura does start regenerating his allies (1 hp at the start of their turn) The Wendigo finally shows up and scratches wildly at Colby, which he deflects with his frying pan (stonewall stance). Bento finishes off the Mesquito, but not before getting jabbed with its Anticoagulant attack for ongoing 2 damage. Guacamole drops some sticky goop on the enemies to lock down some terrain (near a chokepoint that was a log over the river) and provide general crowd control.

Some more damage gets passed around, Souffle takes a spider soul and makes it into a Puppy Specter which gets in a solid hit on the Wendigo.
The Wendigo FLIPS HIS poo poo and uses his Terrifying Roar encounter power. Colby becomes Panicked, and starts running away as fast as he can.

Everyone starts getting clumped together passing attacks back and forth, but the Quasant is using his Eerie Chant to recover their health. In response to this, the Quasant gets chain-pulled (first by Bento’s demure act, then by Lemon's fishhook) into the necrogoop zone. His best buddy the Leavender charges into the clump of combatants and uses his encounter power, Airbag. He successfully damages and shoves everyone (5 seperate rolls) 5 squares, scattering the whole combat.

While I move the enemy models, I explain that this move has the abliity ‘Special: Pushes Allies But Does Not Hurt Them.’ Lemon's player points out that the Quasant was his Duel target, and that he had just this turn inflicted the ’Cannot Benefit From Allies' Powers' status. I rule that this is awesome, and the Quasant loses its last 2 health to the Airbag attack - breaking its neck on a rock.

Colby, meanwhile, has failed something like 4 saves in a row to recover from his Panic, and is cowering behind a tree in the back corner of the map.

They slowly finish off the enemies, rolling a ton of ones in the process (9 total strikes out of 5 players) and we moved to resolve combat. In addition to everyone being Winded, they now owe a minor concession. The bread, we decided, was completely gone - stress eaten by Colby in the throes of panic.

At last, with combat finally over, they made their way out of the valley to the Chateau Gateaux, just in time to set up for the party. On their way in, they are stopped by Lady Ginger, a flustered young courtesan who explains that she forgot her invitation all the way back in Macadamia and desperately needs to get in. She begs the caterers to sneak her inside, claiming that her mother spent all her savings to send her to this fancy party to meet a fine man to marry.

She almost convinces Lemon to sneak her in, but Guacamole spends an action point for her Truth Serum trick - and produces an incredibly hot pepper. Feeding it to Lady Ginger, it is so spicy she cannot lie anymore and blurts out "OKAY I'M A STALKER AND I'M HERE TO STALK LORD GATEAUX HE'S PERFECT FOR ME I NEED TO MARRY HIM etc etc”. The caterers show her the door, and she stumbles away looking for a glass of milk.

The group gets to the party area, and they begin to set up. They collectively fail both of their plating rolls (nobody took Plating) and set up a really crummy looking charcuterie table. The floor staff does not look impressed, but the guests are arriving and there isn’t any more time to rearrange. Lord Gateaux (a silver fox) and Lady Macaron (a saucy pig-woman) make a grand entrance, introduce themselves and commence the wine tasting. People begin milling about, boozing and shmoozing like you do, and folks begin to enjoy the charcuterie spread.

Bento, who is attending to the cheeses, catches an adolescent human boy eyeing the cheeses. The boy asks Bento a bunch of questions about them, and is about to eat some when a guard stomps over and smacks it out of his hand. He chastises the boy, Prince Mousse, and explains by way of expository dialogue that as everyone knows the prince has fallen under a most lamentable curse - the curse that he would one day die eating cheese.

Bento tries to convince this guard to leave, as he is harshing the vibe, but due to being Crestfallen twists his persuasion check. The guard singles Bento out and says “HEY YOU, you have to stop the prince from eating cheese. I'm serious.”

“Does the prince like cheese?”

“The only thing he likes MORE than cheese... is disguises.

So bento starts to make stalking rolls to follow this kid around - he watches Prince Mousse go back to his room and put on fancy clothes and a fake beard. Meanwhile, Lady Macaron has approached the caterers. She says “You, you, you, go pass out wine. We're short staffed.” They go off, leaving Colby alone, and she starts getting extremely saucy on him - feeling his muscles, pouring him drinks and being a thirsty old broad. He explains that she’s barking up the wrong tree, but she is being very insistent. He eventually rebuffs her with his cheesemaking knowledge, talking shop to distract her and steer the conversation away from how handsome he is.

Prince Mousse comes back as an oldperson and almost sneaks some cheese from the distracted Colby before Bento bursts in to stop him.
Mousse gets upset, and sics his guests on Bento. “Oh my gosh,” he says, “What an adorable kitten! I demand that you ravish him with attention!” They crowd around and pet him a bunch. He loses track of Mousse in the commotion, but on the plus side his Crestfallen condition has been cured.

A well dressed gentleman singles Lemon the Otter out of the crowd, smacks him in the face with a powdered glove and challenges him to a duel. Lemon is befuddled but angry, and agrees to duel (not realizing the man is really looking for Lime, his estranged fishing partner). Since this wasn’t a combat everyone would take part in, it was resolved with an opposed skill check. They rolled their respective weapon skills and Lemon came out on top (a 2 vs the gentleman’s 1) - Which indicates a ‘lesser or uncertain victory’.

I described the way they fought, club vs sword-cane, to a near-standstill before Lemon disarmed the gentleman with a powerful strike. He looked up to the audience, expecting praise, but nobody was paying attention to their fight anymore. Instead, the crowd had begun murmuring and peering out into the courtyard, where a gilded carriage had arrived.

“Could it be?” “He’s arrived!” “Sacrebleu! It’s… It’s… Croque Monsieur!!”

The beloved frogman thespian emerges from the carriage to a throng of chattering fans. Lord Gateaux is thrilled to see this unexpected celebrity appearance, but his smile fades when he sees a dozen more carriages beginning to arrive - Croque Monsieur had brought an entourage of friends, well-wishers and tagalongs with him, and now there’s a hundred more mouths to feed that no one was expecting.

Lord Gateaux turns to the caterers in a panic. He can’t afford to give free wine to everybody if they aren’t filling up on delicious meats and cheeses! They spring into action, rolling to assemble food any way they can. Bento and Lemon run to the nearby stream to see if they can net some fish in a hurry. Colby spends an action point to Bring In A Friend, and declares that his boyfriend Jack is also at the party. Jack brought a bunch of hard cheeses from their shared farm estate, and he'd be happy to share with everybody! Colby tries to take this opportunity to prove he’s taken by introducing Lady Macaron to his boyfriend, but she is gone, off fawning over Croque Monsieur.

Some fish are caught, Souffle butchers them and Lemon looks for a place to grill them while Bento puts together a quick plate of sashimi. Guacamole uses an alchemy roll to whip up a quick chemical fire from the mustards and jams she had brought with her (as an onlooking guest spits out a half-eaten cracker into a napkin) and they grill the remaining fish.

Everyone succeeds! They scramble together a bunch of food, seemingly out of nowhere! Everybody eats and drinks and is merry - until Lemon asks where Mousse ran off to.

Mousse, wearing a long wig and heels, is happily munching away at the cheese plate.

“OH NO,” Lord Gateaux says, as his son's neck begins to swell up and his eyes get all poofy. “THE CURSE!”

Everyone panics, nobody knows cpr or anything so he starts turning purple. Lemon has already started reading him his last rites when Guacamole produces a pungent concoction (she has an attack called Energizing Brew that has a speedy effect) and injects it right into the boy’s heart with a turkey baster.

He gurgles and returns to normal shape, muttering something to the effect of “So worth it. Awesome, totally awesome” and everyone erupts with applause at the amazing caterers who saved the prince's life. Lemon tells him that he's safe for now, but he still can't eat cheese. He's allergic. He says he's gonna eat cheese anyway.

Lemon says "Do you like cheese more than life?"

The prince says "The only thing I like more than cheese..." - and he pulls off his human mask, revealing that he is literally a moose person - “…is disguises.”

We then cut directly to a montage of images from the adventure while the credits roll - everybody got to nominate one image, like Colby stress eating foccacia behind a tree, Guacamole injecting the child with coffee, and Bento being petted by a crowd of adoring party guests. I drew a couple of these on the initiative whiteboard tablet while we smoked on the porch and people started dispersing.

I have a good group. Strike is a good game.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 29, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:allears:

Your group would be amazing regardless of system, I think.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This poo poo is adorable.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I want to play in super punny adorable cooking game sooooo bad.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I was gonna post a second session writeup but I don't think that I could follow that.

An excerpt, though: Cleric used his money from the last adventure to buy bagpipes. He's not proficient. He's keeping track of the 250 free days it requires to become proficient. It's going to be a long 250 days for his teammates. Especially since I think he plans to carry them with him everywhere.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Last sunday's game was exciting. Previously, we had found the shells of some shadow dragon eggs. Seeing as how my (homebrew) necromancer wants a dragon of his very own, we go hunting for the source of these eggs. we track them to the docks, and through a combination of parkour and zombie hummingbirds, we track the latest shipment through a mardi gras style festival, around an industrial park, and finally to an abandoned observatory. We manage to sneak past the first floor guards, but end up getting into fights on the rest. But that's okay! It was worth it for the vials of bottled lightning, which we could smash as a free action to get an extra standard action, one per party member.

The final floor has a handful of weird guys who seem to be flickering in and out, and an adult shadow dragon with three machines that are aging it at a rate of one age category every round. We're level 6, so beating its SR 22 is going to be tricky. The fight starts off with no one rolling double digits for initiative, and though we are rolling pretty well for damage, our attack rolls weren't really cooperating. Neither were our caster level checks to beat the dragon's SR, which thankfully wasn't increasing like everything else about it but was still way higher than we could reliably hit. We finally manage to take out the temporal accelerators with the dragon now Old and about half the enemy crew dead. It breathes on my pack of undead water grues, since they're all illusioned to look the normal water elementals. This kills the one guy they had surrounded since it does five negative levels on a failed save, and gives my horde a very nice temp hp buffer. It then moves in to get mean on the half of the party still down by the staircase.

With the dragon close enough to melee and too spell resistant to magic, I go for the kill with the only thing I have: a supernatural touch attack that can deal dex damage. I boost my CL for one attack and do 4 dex, then a pile of metamagic power to quicken it for another 3 dex, then crack my bottled lightning for another standard to do the final 3 dex damage I need to incapacitate it. Upon seeing me punch a dragon so hard it fell over, the others surrender. I coup de grace the dragon and combine its corpse with all the other undead I control to create one huge superdragon zombie. It is my finest achievement and best of all, I won't be spending 10 minutes every turn rolling a half dozen necromental attacks anymore. :v:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
With those machines running at full blast, how many rounds would you have to survive before the thing simply died of old age? I mean one age category every round would eventually kill anything short of a god right?

I just listened to a podcast where the team killed a black dragon by magically growing a giant oak tree in the middle of it's throat (from the inside out), so creative ways of killing a dragon are on my radar.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

CzarChasm posted:

With those machines running at full blast, how many rounds would you have to survive before the thing simply died of old age? I mean one age category every round would eventually kill anything short of a god right?

I just listened to a podcast where the team killed a black dragon by magically growing a giant oak tree in the middle of it's throat (from the inside out), so creative ways of killing a dragon are on my radar.

Dragons are immortal short of violence or illness, sadly, so literally every round was just an exponential boost in power for it. Waiting it out would've just ended up with an Ancient Super Wyrm of Death and Destruction whose breath weapon could drop something approaching 20~ negative levels on everyone in the cone.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ignite Memories posted:

Lemon says "Do you like cheese more than life?"

The prince says "The only thing I like more than cheese..." - and he pulls off his human mask, revealing that he is literally a moose person - “…is disguises.”

This is where I cracked up.

Great stuff.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Galick posted:

Dragons are immortal short of violence or illness, sadly, so literally every round was just an exponential boost in power for it. Waiting it out would've just ended up with an Ancient Super Wyrm of Death and Destruction whose breath weapon could drop something approaching 20~ negative levels on everyone in the cone.
Not entirely accurate (in D&D at least). They stop growing in power at great wyrm (>1200 years old), where its breath weapon "only" :airquote: does 8 negative levels (reflex half!) in a 60ft cone. Then they die at somewhere around 1800-2400 years.

CzarChasm posted:

Going on how each later age category is 200 years and most dragons' maximum age, probably about 5 rounds after it became a great wyrm. At this point it's also a 17th level sorcerer with an assortment of really difficult to deal with spell-likes and supernatural shadow creation, along with being able to crush the machines and kool-aid man its way out of the observatory after pasting us with its breath no less than twice and half a dozen natural attacks which each do somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 our max hp per hit.

Trying to occupy it for 9 rounds while the machines age it to death while also hoping it doesn't decide it's had enough aging at some point seems like a bigger gamble than trying to punch it 3 times in a single round. :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In last night’s session of Deadlands, I was running the party through the adventure Abra Cadabara and an Arab Cadaver where a bunch of Arab cultists are chasing an amulet containing a powerful Djinn, who I tweaked to resemble the one from the first Wishmaster movie. Through a series of misadventures that involved two players trying to stuff a corpse into the furnace of a train engine and blowing up a train car full of Bayou Vermillion nitro to stop a rattler, the Djinn’s spirit ended up in a player’s head (Aya’s player) and threatened to stay there and cause mischief anytime she wasn’t careful with her words, and once she made three wishes he would be free to roam the Weird West to spread terror.

So after consulting with Typhomine’s player who was running a huckster (a magic user who gains power by playing poker with demons), she makes a very specific wish.

quote:

”I wish you would play Jace in a game of high-draw from a 52-card deck with each player getting one draw each and the being who pulls the lowest card is wiped from existence forever.”

So the Djinn appears out of the necklace, a makeshift gambling table is set up in the dining car, our Tanicus DM (who is relishing the chance to actually PLAY and who I’m relishing the chance to actually DM for) shuffles and cuts the deck.

We both draw from the deck and go to flip our cards over at the same time…

The Djinn pulled the King of Diamonds.

And the huckster uses the Trinket spell, which allows him to pull a minor, mundane object from a pocket, pouch, or bag, to pull the Ace of Spades from the deck.

I was drat impressed...and as the Djinn faded from existence, I told them that if the Djinn never existed, they never were hired for the job protecting the amulet…and as such never got paid.

Being a Marshall behind the screen is FUN.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

the being who pulls the lowest card is wiped from existence forever.”

CobiWann posted:

and as the Djinn faded from existence, I told them that if the Djinn never existed,
Hmm. If we were playing literal genies, I'd be having words with these words.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Splicer posted:

It's a beer-and-pretzels game, so I didn't want to argue over exact wording and bog the game down so I went more along with the "spirit" of the wish. Plus it allowed me to yank the rug out from under them so they didn't get paid!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Splicer posted:

I see what you are saying, but a clever player would have been sure to draw first in that scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://tinyurl.com/Tanicus-Part-9

Latest Tanicus update!

Let me know if you guys prefer a Google document, a C&P recap in this thread like I've been doing the past year, or both!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 2, 2018