Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not sure this makes sense. Kids have emotional needs too.

It does and im a genius. Actually I thought the demarcation between the two was implied by the fact they weren't under the spell. It's the cool type of thing I like about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

In a cunning reversal, David dances "I heard it through the grapevine" while using the guise of Lenny against the Shadow King, exploding his astral corner

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this show is great and I love every episode

I think the cellphone jon hamm segment might be the lowest point of the whole show though

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Chokes McGee posted:

It’s been shown over and over again, but David is generally a good guy at least trying to do the right thing and aware that he could seriously gently caress everyone up if he does the wrong thing or loses control.

Remember, the reason he didn’t tell everyone what’s going on is because Farouk would read their minds and murder all of them (or worse). As unpalatable as it is, subconscious manipulation is the only way they take him down, which is at least a minimal intersection of what everyone (except Future Syd) wants.

I mean, Batman and CW Ollie pull that poo poo all the time, it alienates everyone around them but they’re still heroes.

I think it’s also worth remember that Hawley has repeatedly said this isn’t a hero story, it is a tragedy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

La Desolette (or whatever) reminded me of Burning Man. Burning Man takes place on a patch of land called The Playa (which looks like [and for all I know, actually is] the place La Desolette is being shot) and every year, "Black Rock City" is built in a different part of The Playa in order to preserve the land. I kinda wonder if they actually did shoot on The Playa as a sort of symbolism to this fact, what with the monastery constantly moving the same way Black Rock City does.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hotdamn. I wanted to rewatch the dance-off in episode one, and just before a jon hamm segment, Melanie does her vape drugs and the drat minotaur casually strolls across the screen. I'd completely forgotten.

edit: and he's also at the children playing just before the dance-off scene:

loving show man

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 24, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did someone mention the cow?

It kind of jumped out at me during one of the Hamm interstitials this last episode. It was in a sequence of the text messaging while he was (perhaps purposefully) incorrectly defining narcissism.

“It’s a duck”
“It’s a chicken”
“It’s a cow”

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

flatluigi posted:

this show is great and I love every episode

I think the cellphone jon hamm segment might be the lowest point of the whole show though
That cellphone segment was realllllllly cliche and didn't fit the normally original ideas this show has. That part felt like an unrelated PSA/afterschool special and also kinda broke the interesting alternate reality of Legion which is set in some non-existent offshoot of our world where the 60s-2000s-era fashion and technology merge together. Instead, uhhhhh, this girl has an iPhone.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm getting a little wound down on the series like other people in the thread but I feel like they earned my trust and that it will pay off so I'm locked in. The Hamm segments better lead to something big because its a lot of trust given there. They bring narrative to a stop so fast its like running driving into a wall

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

DaveKap posted:

La Desolette (or whatever) reminded me of Burning Man. Burning Man takes place on a patch of land called The Playa (which looks like [and for all I know, actually is] the place La Desolette is being shot) and every year, "Black Rock City" is built in a different part of The Playa in order to preserve the land. I kinda wonder if they actually did shoot on The Playa as a sort of symbolism to this fact, what with the monastery constantly moving the same way Black Rock City does.

It's all shot in CA for the tax breaks. Black rock is in Nevada.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

That cellphone segment was realllllllly cliche and didn't fit the normally original ideas this show has. That part felt like an unrelated PSA/afterschool special and also kinda broke the interesting alternate reality of Legion which is set in some non-existent offshoot of our world where the 60s-2000s-era fashion and technology merge together. Instead, uhhhhh, this girl has an iPhone.

I thought it was less alternate reality and more that time and place were purposefully indistinct similar to the movie Seven. I do agree about the cellphone psa because it feels less like something the story needed and more like some crochety old boomer going off on a rant about cellphones. Perhaps i'm wrong and it pays off in a way I haven't anticipated but it felt tonally inconsistent with the rest of the show.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean it's in line with some of the other jonn hamm segments but "cellphones are bad" is a really cold take and the scene of the woman leaving her office and staring agape at how everyone around her was On! Their! Phones! would've been the silliest tone-deaf imagery id seen this week if detroit: become human didn't just come out of embargo

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Lmao, peeps itt getting all twitchy about perceived criticism of having your experience of the world mediated through a screen/projected on the cave wall.

They couldn't be talking about us though could they?

Picture this, the same scenes only everyone has their head stuck in a book - it's about the disconnect not the particular piece of tech.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmptyVessel posted:

They couldn't be talking about us though could they?
That's not the issue. The intent seemed to be good - talking about our perception of reality being mediated - but the way they executed that muddled the message and made it come across as anti-technology, which I don't think it was meant to be. Our perception of reality has always been mediated and it makes sense to use phones as an example of that in the modern world, but it shifted the focus away from the central idea - that the world and our perceptions of the world are not the same thing - and onto the technology itself, because that imagery of a bunch of people all walking around looking down at their phones has been used so many times before to convey the message that modern technology is bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah, I think the point is less "phones bad" and more "the map is not the territory."

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its less the shows fault and more the history of that kind of imagery

poo poo like this

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was a lil cringy but after last weeks about how other people, possibly those same people you treat like they don't matter, sufficiently scared can murder the gently caress out of you I'm curious how these are gonna wind up tying in to the story.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the point of that segment is exactly

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"the map is not the territory"

the smartphone screen is a convenient device: just a mean to continue the ideas from the allegory of the cave (which imho was fantastically well presented since being one of the most well known ideas in philosophy the show could be highly pedantic about it and just mention the idea in passing without explaining it at all)

it serves a framework: if you only interact with the ideas of people and not with the people themselves you can't exercise highly important things like empathy, hammering down the drat idea with a literal troll caricature to the point of projection ("you sound fat" with the guy being obese) and the obvious misogyny: this is the "blinding light of the sun" moment for the girl where she realizes that behind every screen there are people, real human beings and not their shadows...

...Which explains the why of "most dangerous delusion of all" being relevant to the series: if this takes for too long and your (wrong) beliefs about it go unchallenged, you might develop a full-on clinical psychiatric disorder down to potential psychoses as a narcissist personality, and if the last episode was about how moral panics stem from wrong reasons but do not make the people afraid any less dangerous, this was quite straightforwardly a dig into the Shadow King, who enslaves minds, kills people, tortures them and all manner of hideous behavior while believing he is totally justified and correct for it, because, as he puts it, "why should I care about the ants?"

(in a lesser way that also might be a dig into Legion, but narcissistic schizophrenics are way too rare and we had the entire first season being about him, so it makes more sense to be about the SK)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a good point that was wrapped up in some very tacky Phones Bad imagery and supported by some other clumsy imagery (she was a kid who called someone fat, now when she grew up and has a point this fat person is lovely to HER!) and by some bad choices of subject matter -- both climate change and the wage gap are real poo poo that needs to be dealt with while also being constantly described as not actually things + when you're starting off with the allegory of the cave and talking about 'things you learn from projections might not be real' seguing into someone looking at news about climate change on their phone it hits a bit of a sour note

also, like, people are allowed to criticize parts of a show they otherwise really like without being ~twitchy peeps~

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

incoherent posted:

It's all shot in CA for the tax breaks. Black rock is in Nevada.

A lot of it looks like it was shot in the Coachella valley and Mojave desert. I see Joshua trees and what looks like the vast open Mojave in many of these shots.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Is there a list of where the minotaur has shown up? I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The phone thing was also attached to Plato’s Cave, the most cliched allegory ever

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So whose the old blind lady supposed to be, not Storm right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Codependent Poster posted:

Is there a list of where the minotaur has shown up? I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

It's been around in most scenes with Melanie this season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

It appears briefly in the first episode of the season, but more obviously the episode where they go into everyone’s minds. Melanie’s is a labyrinth and they talk at length about the minotaur

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
God that’s creepy

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Aint no one gonna fanperson over where's the professor?

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I was wondering about that, too, but I can't say I'm totally sure it's actually them, like it may actually be some other character [probably not]

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This show is a big nothingburger. A massive, beautiful nothingburger, with huge poppy seeds, toasted buns, and stacked a foot tall. But all the lettuce, tomatoes, beef is a very thin layer that's at the very edge to make the burger look like its full. Take off the bun, and there isn't anything inside - its hollow. Much like this show. I still like it, but I'm not gushing over it. It still shows and runs better than any of the recent Netflix Marvel capeshit, which speaks volumes to how terrible JJ, Defenders and Iron Fist was.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 26, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

R-Type posted:

This show is a big nothingburger. A massive, beautiful nothingburger, with huge poppy seeds, toasted buns, and stacked a foot tall. But all the lettuce, tomatoes, beef is a very thin layer that's at the very edge to make the burger look like its full. Take off the bun, and there isn't anything inside - its hollow. Much like this show. I still like it, but I'm not gushing over it. It's still shows and runs better than any of the recent Netflix Marvel capeshit, which speaks volumes to how terrible JJ, Defenders and Iron Fist was.

Im sorry sir but the McRib is not currently available.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

R-Type posted:

This show is a big nothingburger. A massive, beautiful nothingburger, with huge poppy seeds, toasted buns, and stacked a foot tall. But all the lettuce, tomatoes, beef is a very thin layer that's at the very edge to make the burger look like its full. Take off the bun, and there isn't anything inside - its hollow. Much like this show. I still like it, but I'm not gushing over it. It still shows and runs better than any of the recent Netflix Marvel capeshit, which speaks volumes to how terrible JJ, Defenders and Iron Fist was.
Agreed. It's directed/produced realllllllly well, but it's so plot-less this season.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Agreed. It's directed/produced realllllllly well, but it's so plot-less this season.

You legitimately don’t have any idea of what’s going on this season? How?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This season has had exactly the right balance of plot and character weirdness.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Not enough Aubrey Plaza though :mad:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Not enough Aubrey Plaza though :mad:

This is the only legit complaint

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The season definitely has a plot but it also feels like a show that intends to continue after this season to an extreme degree. Season 1 felt like a show that took a narrow conceit and, by the end of the season, had opened up into more of an ensemble show (albeit obviously focused on David). This season feels like an extreme narrowing back onto David, but while still teasing at the other characters without coming close to committing. And while I can think of plenty of other shows where plot movement is stalled out so the show can focus on side stories (with varying degrees of success or necessity), Legion at times I feel goes too far with its languid, luxurious approach to David's story.

For example, while I enjoyed the sliding desert panel scenes, some of those scenes could have been shortened with probably no loss to impact and that time could have been spent on things like whatever Ptolemy is doing in the mainframe, or how Kerry/Keri are dealing with (or have dealt with?) their separation anxiety, or spending any time actually talking to Melanie.

The cow is like the S1 plant man - funny/weird background stuff that I don't think is supposed to really be given a lot of attention. But I think both seasons have elements that the show seems to want you to pay attention to (like The Eye, or some of the other Division 3 background stuff in S1) but kinda whiffs at fleshing out sufficiently, and S2 has had a lot more of that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Proteus Jones posted:

You legitimately don’t have any idea of what’s going on this season? How?
Errrrr, I don't think I said I didn't understand it. I agreed that it feels hollow. Like they tease they're going to reveal stuff, but the plot doesn't actually move that much forward. Instead, it focuses inward to a few characters, feeling very claustrophobic.

It's still one of the best directed/edited shows on TV right now, but it's stuck in a rut story-wise.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Going back to the cellphone bit, there's a lot of focus on what people perceive through their screens being distorted and I assumed it's the narrator talking about this TV show itself to some degree. Not saying that nothing's real, but that the journey's been so carefully controlled that we're all missing a bigger picture somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

incoherent posted:

Aint no one gonna fanperson over where's the professor?

It was neat but felt like a misstep. Xavier would not only know pretty quick what's up but could roll up (literally :haw:) and take care of most of it himself. Any time you point out he exists in this world, it immediately brings up the question of "so where the gently caress is he right now?"