Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Animal posted:

No one here cares how you spent $4k in a month.

Unless it's an actual churning technique!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

baquerd posted:

Unless it's an actual churning technique!

That's a classist statement.

Stay woke, credit card goons.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

drainpipe posted:

Sent one by PM. BCP's one of my favorite cards.

Thanks! The other referral was for the basic card, and they don't carry over. I'll use this one in a couple days.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Anyone have any pointers on booking travel from the West Coast (preferably Seattle) to Japan using points, cash, or a combination thereof? Looks like ANA has a really good redemption rate for business class, but probably difficult to get enough points from scratch to book by november. We're sitting on 50k hyatt points and 50k ultimate rewards points we were going to use for 5 nights stay in tokyo, and could potentially accumulate another ~160k UR points to spend. Seems like transferring SPG/Amex points to ANA would be the best route to go, but not sure it's reasonable to try to get the ~80k points each we'd need to book roundtrip business with them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

Yeah, cashing it out can be a little rough with the 'simple' options: transaction credit for 0.75 cents a point, pay on Amazon gets you 0.8 cents per point.

I've heard that if you redeem the thankyou points against a recent utility transaction (gas, electric, water, etc) you can get 1c/pt, but I have not tried it. It should tell you the point cost if you go to the redeem against recent transactions page.

Otherwise you can get GCs to places you like to go for that missing 20% of the value.

Yet another option is to use them to pay a mortgage or student loan at 1c/pt (search 'mortgage' or 'loan' from the main thankyou page).

Update on this, my mortgage servicer won't accept this. They won't take partial payments. They'll take the first check they get, apply it to the payment,and then either send back the second, or assume it's a second additional principle only payment. Ugh. I've talked to several support people and no one seems to know what will happen, and they suggest against it. I'd much rather not get a mortgage payment tied up in phone support calls for weeks.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Nur_Neerg posted:

Anyone have any pointers on booking travel from the West Coast (preferably Seattle) to Japan using points, cash, or a combination thereof? Looks like ANA has a really good redemption rate for business class, but probably difficult to get enough points from scratch to book by november. We're sitting on 50k hyatt points and 50k ultimate rewards points we were going to use for 5 nights stay in tokyo, and could potentially accumulate another ~160k UR points to spend. Seems like transferring SPG/Amex points to ANA would be the best route to go, but not sure it's reasonable to try to get the ~80k points each we'd need to book roundtrip business with them.

You're trying to travel in November? Either be very flexible with dates, book last minute or dont fly business. I wouldn't limit myself to ANA as well if you have points for other options. You might have better luck looking at first as well and booking ANA through VS is apparently a reasonabl amount of points.

You should also look into if Hyatt requires you to have the points to reserve. I believe a couple other programs only require you to have the points at the time of your stay.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Looking for recommendations here.

Just moved in with the lady and we're looking to get a new card to use for joint expenses so we can easily split everything. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve and a Chase Freedom card (which was converted from a Sapphire Preferred). She has a Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Was thinking about doing this:
  1. I refer her to a Sapphire Reserve and collect the 10k referral bonus
  2. She opens a Sapphire Reserve and gets the 50k bonus
  3. She transfers points from existing Preferred to new Reserve and changes the Preferred to something without a fee
  4. She adds me as authorized user for the extra bonus.

Anyone had success with doing anything similar? Are there other deals I should be looking at?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

asur posted:

You're trying to travel in November? Either be very flexible with dates, book last minute or dont fly business. I wouldn't limit myself to ANA as well if you have points for other options. You might have better luck looking at first as well and booking ANA through VS is apparently a reasonabl amount of points.

You should also look into if Hyatt requires you to have the points to reserve. I believe a couple other programs only require you to have the points at the time of your stay.

Yeah, trying to travel in November, relatively flexible, just hoping to fit Thanksgiving week in there, though not a hard requirement. Hyatt definitely requires points at time of reservation. I'm not dialed in to business class, happy to fly economy if we can get a decent deal or points rate, just looking at 50-80k roundtrip for economy everywhere I see, and 75-85k roundtrip for ANA business, hence wondering if that's the best route.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
For the Citi points I'll probably just post an SA-Mart thread and offer to buy and send some GCs to people for like 6% off face. I'd rather get the cash back at that rate than get just get GC's that I don't need. If I can get back 95%, it's way better than 75%, and even more better than holding on to it for a vacation I might take in a year or two and give up $100 in an annual fee. Any points I can't sell I'll just get a few Gap GC's or whatever for myself.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Update on this, my mortgage servicer won't accept this. They won't take partial payments. They'll take the first check they get, apply it to the payment,and then either send back the second, or assume it's a second additional principle only payment. Ugh. I've talked to several support people and no one seems to know what will happen, and they suggest against it. I'd much rather not get a mortgage payment tied up in phone support calls for weeks.

heres a trick I used a couple times: when I did this to redeem Citi points they would make the check out to any bank. I got them to send me a couple "student loan payment" checks made out to "Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC". Your mileage may vary because I last did this several years ago.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

dy. posted:

Just moved in with the lady and we're looking to get a new card to use for joint expenses so we can easily split everything. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve and a Chase Freedom card (which was converted from a Sapphire Preferred). She has a Chase Sapphire Preferred.

3. She transfers points from existing Preferred to new Reserve and changes the Preferred to something without a fee

Anyone had success with doing anything similar? Are there other deals I should be looking at?

You can do all of that, but in the end the best Chase card for miscellaneous mutual expenses is the Chase Freedom Unlimited. At the end of your plan she should either convert the Sapphire into the Freedom Unlimited, or just straight up apply for the FU. Then give yo an authorized user card. 1.5x points for everything may seem blah and the sign-up bonus will not blow you away, but for me and my girlfriend it consistently produces a large amount of our point accrual. The Chase ecosystem works best with a combination of their main three cards: Sapphire family, Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

dy. posted:

Chase has a "one Sapphire" rule, meaning she can't have a CSR and a CSP at the same time. She'll have to PC the CSP, wait a few days, then apply for a CSR.

Also, you can only get one sapphire bonus every 24 months, so if its been less than 24 months since she got the CSP bonus (not when the account was opened, but when the bonus posted to her account), you'll have to wait for that as well.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Thanks for the feedback!

saintonan posted:

Chase has a "one Sapphire" rule, meaning she can't have a CSR and a CSP at the same time. She'll have to PC the CSP, wait a few days, then apply for a CSR.

Also, you can only get one sapphire bonus every 24 months, so if its been less than 24 months since she got the CSP bonus (not when the account was opened, but when the bonus posted to her account), you'll have to wait for that as well.
What's "PC" mean?

So assuming we're not breaking the 24-mo rule maybe we can just flip her existing CSP to a Freedom Unlimited and use that one as our joint-expense card, then sign her up for a CSR as her personal-use card.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Product change.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dy. posted:

Same situation, but my fiancee has an Amex Platinum and I have a CSR. Is it worth doing the same thing? Does Amex still do those 100k point offers?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Nur_Neerg posted:

Yeah, trying to travel in November, relatively flexible, just hoping to fit Thanksgiving week in there, though not a hard requirement. Hyatt definitely requires points at time of reservation. I'm not dialed in to business class, happy to fly economy if we can get a decent deal or points rate, just looking at 50-80k roundtrip for economy everywhere I see, and 75-85k roundtrip for ANA business, hence wondering if that's the best route.

That's probably the best deal with the transfer bonus to VS gone. I don't know if you have the luxury of looking for the best deal though. I'd look at award space availability and see what options you have and hope they don't disappear. Economy isn't going to have great CPP unless flight prices skyrocket.

At Residency Evil, the referral offer is usually significantly less than 100k such that even with the bonus you end up with less points overall.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

dy. posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

What's "PC" mean?

So assuming we're not breaking the 24-mo rule maybe we can just flip her existing CSP to a Freedom Unlimited and use that one as our joint-expense card, then sign her up for a CSR as her personal-use card.

PC is product change. You don't want to close her CSP account completely, you just want to turn it into some sort of Freedom card (you can have more than one Freedom if you like chasing the 5% quarterly categories). With the bonus from the CSR, that's more like 7.5% through the travel portal. What you're describing (PC to CF or CFU) is very common.

Residency Evil posted:

Same situation, but my fiancee has an Amex Platinum and I have a CSR. Is it worth doing the same thing? Does Amex still do those 100k point offers?

Yes. Amex will only give you a bonus once per lifetime for any specific card (exact card, other cards in a card group are ok), otherwise it's roughly the same process.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
Lifetime being 7 years... Also amex used to consider the different plat cards as separate for the lifetime bonus, eg Ameriprise, Schwab, MB, etc. I think they may have changed this very recently.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hostile apostle posted:

Lifetime being 7 years... Also amex used to consider the different plat cards as separate for the lifetime bonus, eg Ameriprise, Schwab, MB, etc. I think they may have changed this very recently.

Does this mean that if I got the ameriprise amex plat a few years back I wouldn't qualify for the bonus on the regular platinum now, or is this only moving forward?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Does this mean that if I got the ameriprise amex plat a few years back I wouldn't qualify for the bonus on the regular platinum now, or is this only moving forward?

It would definitely apply to the past, but I'm not certain it's been implemented. I got the Schwab Amex Plat a month ago and have had the generic Plat and the Mercedes.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any fans of the Biz Platinum 35% rebate?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

Any fans of the Biz Platinum 35% rebate?

It was worth it at 50%, bt I'm pretty meh at 35%. It's basically 1.5 cpp on the airline you choose so pretty limited and merely ok value.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
Here's the report about the Ameriprise - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/worrying-datapoint-regarding-american-express-platinum-card-vanilla-ameriprise/

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Going to spend a night in NYC on a road trip (and see a show/dinner while we're there), was thinking about booking something nice with Chase points but should I even bother? It looks like it's 25k points for a place like the Andaz 5th ave or the Hyatt Centric Times Square, but it's only about $250-300 a night cash, so not really that great points/$ value. On the other hand, I can book a $900 a night Park Hyatt room for 30k points, so great "value" there but do I really want to spend 30k points for a night in a hotel where I'm sleeping and not much else, or 25k for that matter? Are there any decent 15/20k point options near the theater district?

Maybe just screw it and get a $100 room in Secaucus with free parking and uber/train into the city?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 24, 2018

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The Park Hyatt is swanky AF and I'd choose that for 30k points way before 25K at a normal hotel, but I'd probably wind up just paying $250 for a normal hotel unless those points are really burning a hole in your pocket, because like you said you don't spend tons of time in your room in NYC.

Don't go anywhere near the theater district in your own car though

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Looks like I could get the Hyatt Centric Times Square for 19k points through the Chase Portal, but yes parking is an unavoidable issue as we will be driving on to Boston the next night. Would just be stashing the car in a garage for ~$50. Maybe I can get something across the river near the PATH subway.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
I'm in the process of switching from fidelity to vanguard for most of my stock trading.

Does anyone know if the fidelity visa card (that gives back 2% as brokerage credit) lets you just withdraw your earned credit as cash directly (from your brokerage account)? Otherwise I might get the citi doublecash card.

edit: thanks!

singe fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 25, 2018

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

singe posted:

Does anyone know if the fidelity visa card (that gives back 2% as brokerage credit) lets you just withdraw your earned credit as cash directly (from your brokerage account)? Otherwise I might get the citi doublecash card.
You can send the cashback to a Fidelity "cash management" account which gives you a debit card to pull cash from ATMs (fees are reimbursed too).

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

singe posted:

I'm in the process of switching from fidelity to vanguard for most of my stock trading.

I believe you can send the rewards to your brokerage account, but you'd need to transfer them to a bank account to actually withdraw them as cash.
Or like Singe said you can open a Fidelity Cash management account which is a pretty good checking account.

I don't have the 2% Fidelity card or a Cash Management account though, so I might be wrong.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

THF13 posted:

I believe you can send the rewards to your brokerage account, but you'd need to transfer them to a bank account to actually withdraw them as cash.
Or like Singe said you can open a Fidelity Cash management account which is a pretty good checking account.

I don't have the 2% Fidelity card or a Cash Management account though, so I might be wrong.
I have a 2% Fidelity Visa and a brokerage account (that I have never, ever used for trading), which is then linked to my CU checking. The Visa transfers to the Cash Mgt automatically (or I can force it), and I get an email when the amount has settled. I log on to Fidelity and transfer into my CU. Takes a couple min, it's really painless.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Elysium posted:

Looks like I could get the Hyatt Centric Times Square for 19k points through the Chase Portal, but yes parking is an unavoidable issue as we will be driving on to Boston the next night. Would just be stashing the car in a garage for ~$50. Maybe I can get something across the river near the PATH subway.

If a car is unavoidable look in Williamsburg/N. Brooklyn - is there availability at the William Vale or Wythe hotels? Far better and far more fun than NJ.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

24 hours later and I'm approved for the new Chase Ink Business Unlimited. Hello 50k UR points next month.

I figure after that I'll wait a few months then run the Chase Ink Cash for it's bonus of 50k.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is Citi price rewind only for online purchases or can I do a b&m purchase and match it to online?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is Citi price rewind only for online purchases or can I do a b&m purchase and match it to online?

The latter.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

astral posted:

The latter.

Cool follow up question - is the amount they pay you back from Citibank itself or do they force the vendor to give them back money

I don't want to dick over the small mom & pop store

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Cool follow up question - is the amount they pay you back from Citibank itself or do they force the vendor to give them back money

I don't want to dick over the small mom & pop store

The underwriter Virginia Surety pays you the money. Citi pays them for the insurance plan itself.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Awesome thanks

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I returned a few items on Amazon and they say the refunds were processed on May 5th. So far nothing has shown up on my Chase Amazon Visa.

I’ll be calling Chase on Tuesday but I was wondering if I might be missing something?

Refunds should show in my Chase transactions as a negative value, right?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I returned a few items on Amazon and they say the refunds were processed on May 5th. So far nothing has shown up on my Chase Amazon Visa.

I’ll be calling Chase on Tuesday but I was wondering if I might be missing something?

Refunds should show in my Chase transactions as a negative value, right?

A lot of Amazon refunds end up as credit on Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Amazon is really good about telling you where the refund is going and what the status is (from their end). If what you're seeing doesn't agree with what Amazon is telling you on your order/refund status, you should contact Amazon (not Chase) to straighten it out.