Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have a suggestion;

since bike theft seems to be so ridiculously common, instead of trying to beat them just join them. Buy some bike that's basically just a number plate and VIN and then nick a nicer example and swap out all the bits. At this point I think you're owed a free bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So basically that episode of Adventure Time, but with motorcycles.

This is sort of what I had assumed Manchester was like anyway.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I could be wrong but it looks like they tried to torch (cut) the horizontal portion of the fence. The burnt bits could be slag from them also burning through the frame of the bike once they concluded cutting the frame would be easier.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
More importantly what are you doing to protect your new bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Getting a bike cover with a Buell Blast logo on it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Getting a bike cover with a Buell Blast logo on it.

No joke, I always use BILT covers for this reason. "nothing worth stealing here"

I wonder how fast your bike would be stolen if you had a KTM cover on it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I saw a group (~10 to 12) of Grom riders last weekend and one of the guys in the front was in full gear, with a high visibility vest on over his gear, and did a stoppie as he approached the red light. I still would stay far away from them if I was on a bike, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. Not that I think a random person on a Grom is a squid, but I've seen enough youtube videos to be wary of the groups.

*edit*
I would no question ride a Grom around like an rear end, I just don't want to pay Grom prices for one.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I wonder how fast your bike would be stolen if you had a KTM cover on it.

Ordering one, time to put full coverage to the test.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keket posted:

More importantly what are you doing to protect your new bike.

Parents' locked garage in another town, where it'll stay until we can move to a place with more secure parking options, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

To their credit, nobody I've told about this has yet suggested anything ridiculous such as "just get a car".

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

To their credit, nobody I've told about this has yet suggested anything ridiculous such as "just get a car".

That's because you live in a chav wasteland and a car would not save you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Parents' locked garage in another town, where it'll stay until we can move to a place with more secure parking options, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Well yeah, that would be stupid. Your bike will never fit inside a car, and even if it did, the thieves could just steal the car.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I finally got the grom back up and running with all it's stuff, and the fuel pump hosed itself on the first ride. It was on it's side for some tire and rearset stuff, and I guess more gas than I thought drained out. I ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station, and when I finally got it there and filled up, the fuel pump studders under 4k rpm.

The grom has been in varying states of unrideability for the last month and I'm just so fed up with it that there is One More Thing I have to fix. :bang:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's trying to tell you something

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I finally got the grom back up and running with all it's stuff, and the fuel pump hosed itself on the first ride. It was on it's side for some tire and rearset stuff, and I guess more gas than I thought drained out. I ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station, and when I finally got it there and filled up, the fuel pump studders under 4k rpm.

The grom has been in varying states of unrideability for the last month and I'm just so fed up with it that there is One More Thing I have to fix. :bang:

I ran into a couple of guys with groms at the park yesterday and one of them had had three groms stolen in the past year and the other had two. Which explained why they were walking their groms in the park rather than parking them on the street. So, it could be worse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How on earth do you wind up with a modern, unreliable Honda?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Building to a price point (they're assembled in Thailand, if that makes any difference)

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You let coydog ride it, obviously.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Buhbuhj posted:

You let coydog ride it, obviously.

It certainly doesn't help.

I feel like the grom is filled with a lot of cost cutting shortcuts that result in some really bad design. At a 3000 msrp, they should have fixed a lot of this before shipping. Of course, everything has some fix in the form of bling made by the community, but you really shouldn't have to do that.

Things like the chain adjuster that never wants to stay attached to the bike when you tighten things down, forcing you to redo the work multiple times. Or the horrible numb shifter, which turns incredible when you put a normal dirtbike direct shift on. Or the seat.

And yet, in lots of other ways it's a pretty well designed indestructable bike. So I don't know.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Wanted to take the bike out today for mother's day as I figured there would be horrible traffic. Just barely sprinkling where I live, I check the weather for a few cities along my route and it says dry for all of them (of course it said dry for my city for the past two days and it's been wet). Ride starts off nice, then five miles into it turns into absolutely pouring rain. I end up riding in just miserable weather for 10 mins, then it clears up, but by now I'm soaked in my non-waterproof summer gear meant for airflow, and it's a pretty cold first 40 mins of the ride. A few hours later coming home? Actually hot from too much sun and warmth.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The fuel pumps on their 125s have been poo poo for years - my mate got through two in as many years on his CBF.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i find it mildly concerning that for 3000 dollars you don't get something more reliable than the carb on a 700$ crf100

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In all fairness, I don't think it was the fuel pump that caused my issues this time, since the problem persisted after a fuel pump swap. The replacement pump was a cheap $20 shipped, so im gonna keep it in and hold onto the other one ~just in case~

The problem was also not:
-dead battery
-valves out of adjustment
-bad gas
-something else I'm forgetting.

I fixed it today by taking it to a parking lot and pinning the throttle and letting it stay bogging and freaking out until the autotuner kicked in and started adjusting for it. Repeating this a bunch more times completely fixed the issue, and I now cannot reproduce it no matter what.

No clue why it cropped up recently. Maybe the hot weather changed the intake air density just enough to throw things off. Who knows.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_event_upset

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Damnit, I picked up a nail in my rear tire again. That's the third tire in a row that makes it less than a year before picking up some garbage. At least this one is through the tread and not the sidewall, so it should be fixable with a plug.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Today I was having beers with some colleagues and a woman I'd never met said, without a trace of irony, "I love that sound! Loud pipes save lives!" as some dickcheese fired up his idiot pirate cruiser right next to the patio and blipped the throttle a bunch. She followed it up by complaining that she and her husband couldn't ride because the street sweepers haven't been out yet. Then she told us about how her husband is a good driver, so they won't ever crash. The whole thing was like a parody and everyone else just kind of went "mmhmmm," through the whole thing and changed the subject.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had someone at work legit ask me today why you only ever see Harley’s parked outside of bars.

“Uhhh its a culture thing” was the best I could come up with. It’s true, but doesn’t explain it nearly enough. Deep in he heart of Harley Land™️ ya gotta be diplomatic.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm visiting my parents and for some reason my mom asked to watch bike crash videos, so I introduced them to No Prisoners.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had someone at work legit ask me today why you only ever see Harley’s parked outside of bars.

“Uhhh its a culture thing” was the best I could come up with. It’s true, but doesn’t explain it nearly enough. Deep in he heart of Harley Land™️ ya gotta be diplomatic.

This was probably the best PC answer.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I had no prisoners on the shop TV while I was putting an XR200 motor back together cause I never watched 2017 part 2. Blyat, cyka, and the occasional scream of agony make good background noise.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Deeters posted:

I'm visiting my parents and for some reason my mom asked to watch bike crash videos, so I introduced them to No Prisoners.

And? You can't leave us hanging like that.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

pokie posted:

A truck suddenly ran through their living room and killed them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

pokie posted:

I somehow picked one that was more mootmoot crashes than fatal ones, and they had a good time. Just a family coming together over bad riders.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Here4DaGangBang posted:

A truck suddenly ran through their living room and killed them.

cyka blyat!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I understand why people debaffle the mufflers on certain engines, but what in the gently caress would posses anyone to open pipe a Honda Pantheon :psyduck:

This thing sounds utterly dire, like nails on a blackboard at 120dB. Other bikes that pass by after it seem whisper quiet in comparison, regardless of displacement.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The same reason people open pipe Groms. They are dumb, and have lost most of their hearing already.

Seriously, why open pipe something that sits at a set high rpm 90% of the time? Just droning on, annoying everyone.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
RPM doesn't really matter - I don't want to listen to a cruiser with straight pipes blatting down the road at 2500 RPM either. The only decent excuses for straight pipes are a turbo or a race bike that never sees the street

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I get annoyed if I forget my earplugs for even a short ride. I have no idea how you could sit on something with straight pipes for more than a few seconds before going deaf.

It's me, I'm the one who wants to keep my hearing well into my geriatric years.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I do hate loud pipes on CVTs. Even accelerating there’s so little change in RPM it’s just constant droning.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My local track doesn't let bikes run over 105db. They actually measure it and will tell you to stop racing if you're over the limit.

Straight pipes, not even good for the track.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Loud pipes get tracks shut down by pissed off neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's just now occurred to me that if the Loud Pipes Save Lives bunch really believed their bullshit (as opposed to it just being a transparently lame justification for an aesthetic choice), then they'd all fit their bikes with denali soundbombs and wire the horn switch permanently closed.

Safety first!