Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/asia/north-korea-restaurant-defectors-intl/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

Why would NK be interested in nuking Japan? On the 1/1000000000 chance that would happen Japan is under then US umbrella.
It's not like NK can take out the entire US without being destroyed in the first place, so the entire value of its nuclear weapons lies in deterrence anyway (how much damage it could theoretically do before getting destroyed). If you're going to say that it wouldn't make sense to nuke Japan because NK would be destroyed so it doesn't matter whether NK has this capability, then by the same logic it wouldn't make sense to nuke anywhere if they're acting rationally for their own survival, so I think if you accept this assertion you could just as easily extend it to the assertion that it doesn't matter if NK has nuclear weapons or not in general so we should just let them be to develop whatever weapons they want.

However, I don't think you're going to convince the US that it should just let NK develop nuclear weapons that can reach the US on the basis that NK wouldn't be crazy enough to actually use them. Given that, why is the line being able to nuke the mainland US specifically? If the US won't allow NK to develop the capability to nuke the US then how can you tell Japan that it doesn't matter if NK has the capability to nuke Japan?

Plus, there's always the possibility that the US will decide to perform a military intervention in NK and NK will do as much damage as possible before it gets obliterated (whether this is currently realistic or not, it is very clear right now that US foreign policy can be extremely unstable between administrations or even from moment to moment). In this case, is Japan getting nuked acceptable collateral damage? Even if you are 100% sure the US will never try to take a military action against NK, how can you expect people in Japan to trust that right now?

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 22, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mystes posted:

how can you expect people in Japan to trust that right now?
What choice do they have?

The whole world is learning now what happens when you outsource your foreign policy to America for half a century.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Both Koreas have a biiiig grudge against Japan for the whole brutal colonialism thing.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Both Koreas have a biiiig grudge against Japan for the whole brutal colonialism thing.

You don’t nuke people for that kind of thing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vladimir Putin posted:

You don’t nuke people for that kind of thing.
Japanese imperialism is the only thing anyone has ever been nuked for.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/KingstonAReif/status/998731943297593345

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
KJU isn’t going to be afraid of an invasion. Because he has nukes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pence and the rest of the admin can always hang back and say that actually, the Libya model was just a country falling apart internally with the aid of sanctions rather than an invasion that caused regime change the way Saddam was booted from power.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is an empty threat, regime change simply isn't on the table in any realistic sense. It is a predictable message for the base though.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

I want one. I want to send one back in time

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Also, it's not about whether or not regime change is viable, it's about whether or not Trump thinks he can win in a firefight. It's completely terrifying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Commemorative coins for peace talks feel like an artifact from a saner world than the one we live in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Telephones posted:

Also, it's not about whether or not regime change is viable, it's about whether or not Trump thinks he can win in a firefight. It's completely terrifying.

Regime change is always viable.

Doing it without several years to decades of horrible times for everyone around it, that's the hard part.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Commemorative coins for peace talks feel like an artifact from a saner world than the one we live in.

It's just the pre-fight promo.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That coin's purpose is somewhat misunderstood. It's a WHCA challenge coin.

The White House Communications Agency are a bunch of military techs (used to be a lot of Air Force dudes) who have the really huge task of supplying comms - phone, internet, SIPRNET, VTC, satellite, networking and wiring/routing all that to an HQ room and hotel rooms to the POTUS and his people. Figure the entourage is in the hundreds, including journos, who also get a specific suite of comms. It's a load of work, typically about 3 or 4 days of nearly 24 hours a day. It's a loving nightmare.

WHCA has to depend on a lot of local people to help them. The coin is handed out as a commemorative reward for helping WHCA with all that work, especially if that help was really meaningful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vladimir Putin posted:

KJU isn’t going to be afraid of an invasion. Because he has nukes.

If we had a sane or intelligent administration I'd agree.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Night10194 posted:

If we had a sane or intelligent administration I'd agree.

The American populace couldn’t even handle 4500 combat dead over 10 years in Iraq, but they’re going to support the Trump administration in a completely pointless war against a nuclear armed North Korea? Cmon

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009

mystes posted:

Incidentally, people in Japan are pretty worried that Trump will agree to a minimal deal that just freezes development to ensure NK doesn't get missiles that can reach the US and ignore the fact that NK already has missiles that can reach Japan. If that actually happens it could strain US-Japan relations somewhat.

The Hwasong-15 that NK successfully tested in november is already capable of reaching the entire US.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OneEightHundred posted:

It's always been lost, by that standard. He's totally uninterested in the details of what he's going in to. The best-case outcome at this point is NK agrees to a testing freeze and stops their ICBM development, but Trump apparently thinks anything short of them handing over their arsenal is worthless, so what's he going to do? Accept a poo poo-sandwich deal that he can get Trumpworld to say is better than anything Obama ever got and deserves a Nobel? Or start looking at military options?

depends how the meeting go. trump is easily led on by authoritarian/tyrant types.(because he desperately wants to be one) i could totaly see him changing his mind once he meets kim and giving him everything he watnts as long as he gets his hotel in Pyongyang. that being said, i think bolton and trump/etc are trying the whole July Crisis ultimatum type deal. make a ton of insane demands and scream war if even one isnt followed.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

depends how the meeting go. trump is easily led on by authoritarian/tyrant types.(because he desperately wants to be one) i could totaly see him changing his mind once he meets kim and giving him everything he watnts as long as he gets his hotel in Pyongyang. that being said, i think bolton and trump/etc are trying the whole July Crisis ultimatum type deal. make a ton of insane demands and scream war if even one isnt followed.

I wouldn’t open a hotel in Pyongyang you’d lose a ton of money

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vladimir Putin posted:

he doesnt give a poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vladimir Putin posted:

a ton of other people's money

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is one thing Trump actually knows how to do*.

Building lovely hotels and having people connected to corrupt oligarchs pay huge amounts of cash for an apartment is how he rolls.

If Kim offers him a guaranteed 50% of his hotel filled at all time, paid for with with untraceable cash, Trump will get down on his knees and lick his loving platform shoes.

* I mean, not well, obviously. The investigation into him is proof of that.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/998918123049967616

quote:

Han was arrested after surrendering himself to police at Seoul’s Jogye Temple on Dec. 10, 2015, on charges of violation of the Assembly and Demonstration Act, obstruction of public duties, and obstruction of traffic for organizing 13 demonstrations, including a popular indignation rally that November. He was indicted the following January, and a three-year sentence was upheld by the Supreme Court in May 2017.

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/998733649674555393

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/999007119700471808

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/998989323939860480

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/999073731610906624

https://twitter.com/yurikageyama/status/999131221912272896

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is one thing Trump actually knows how to do*.

Building lovely hotels and having people connected to corrupt oligarchs pay huge amounts of cash for an apartment is how he rolls.

If Kim offers him a guaranteed 50% of his hotel filled at all time, paid for with with untraceable cash, Trump will get down on his knees and lick his loving platform shoes.

* I mean, not well, obviously. The investigation into him is proof of that.

From purely an aesthetic view, not political or whatever, I'd like to see how that looks.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Cross post from the Trump thread.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I imagine the South won't be happy about this

Also, lol at the tone of that letter

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Honestly trashing Pence was probably a bit over the top. It’s like they were trying to find out how far they could push it came out out as being a bit unreasonable even for them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

Honestly trashing Pence was probably a bit over the top. It’s like they were trying to find out how far they could push it came out out as being a bit unreasonable even for them.

They weren't wrong. Pence threatening regime change ala the "Libya model" if NK didn't make a deal with them was dumb as gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chomskyan posted:

I imagine the South won't be happy about this

Also, lol at the tone of that letter

yea I don't think anyone is shocked it collapsed, but the tone of 'it actually means nothing what you do and that you called for this meeting and all, we have such a big tough nuke arsenal we don't need to make peace with you, when you're ready to submit and give up call me' is honestly some Bolton stuff that should be worrying

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

They weren't wrong. Pence threatening regime change ala the "Libya model" if NK didn't make a deal with them was dumb as gently caress.

Yeah I mean if insulting Pence is over the top, threatening to murder Kim seems way worse. Even if most Americans forgot as soon as it happened, leaders we threaten with the Libya model are very aware of what happened to Qaddafi after his regime's collapse.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This came out a few hours after the North Koreans announced the destruction of the test tunnels too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

This came out a few hours after the North Koreans announced the destruction of the test tunnels too.
It's widely believed that the Punggye-ri facility had already become unusable so any dismantlement/destruction of it at this point is just for show.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

mystes posted:

It's widely believed that the Punggye-ri facility had already become unusable so any dismantlement/destruction of it at this point is just for show.

It's a narrative picked up by the western media that has little evidence supporting it

https://twitter.com/BuckTurgidson79/status/991037121778651137

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, most nuclear experts think that site was big enough that it still had usable area even if there was a localized problem. Ending testing but retaining their demonstrated nuclear capability probably leaves North Korea pretty much where they want to be though, without providing a pretext for unilateral insane US intervention.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh weird trump managed to gently caress this up. all the korean folks i talked to last week in seoul were pretty optimistic about the talks, too :shobon:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/999659174660263940

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/999666085543657472

So it looks like this was news to South Korea as well lol

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

They were trying to be a bridge to both sides so their position is very precarious. Had NK pulled out they would be scrambling too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump's probably super pissed at Moon since he only agreed to the summit after Moon blew smoke up his rear end about the concessions the North Koreans were going to make in the first place. Trump's a spiteful dumbass, so he'll probably just keep driving the South closer to the North.