Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I haven’t used it personally but I’ve heard of apps where you can take pictures of the art and store it digitally. Artkive is one of them

Right now I just throw away everything that doesn’t have a handprint or his picture on it (he’s in preschool) and the rest goes in a pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Axiem posted:

The school year is ending!

...which means that we're suddenly getting an absolute flood of artwork and assignment our precious oldest child did in school all year. We've always had this to an extent, but this year stepped it up by a factor of ten.

How do y'all manage all the school stuff that comes home? Especially when it's a veritable flood?

I have a huge old-school filing cabinet I bought from a garage sale. Its massive and heavy as hell, and conveniently has three drawers. One drawer for each of our kids and one for paper copies of receipts and taxes and poo poo.

Hi_Bears posted:

I haven’t used it personally but I’ve heard of apps where you can take pictures of the art and store it digitally. Artkive is one of them

Right now I just throw away everything that doesn’t have a handprint or his picture on it (he’s in preschool) and the rest goes in a pile.

I feel bad throwing anything out that my kids made but we do this too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Bardeh posted:

My five year old son is booked in for a tonsillectomy on the 9th June. The drat things are so big that he can't breathe properly at night, and he's tired and cranky all the time, let alone all the infections he keeps getting. So, obviously we're happy that it's being done, but still nervous because our little dude has to have surgery.

The surgeon has been really reassuring, and says that we'll go in the morning, and he'll be at home by the afternoon, but still, it's scary. Has anyone's kid had the procedure done? Apparently he'll have to stay home for two weeks and have no contact with people to avoid infection, but I'm wondering just how bad the pain will be for him and how quick the recovery time is. Anyone got any insight?

My at-the-time three year old got his tonsils out and it sucked for a few days, but it was over with in a jiffy. The only hard part was when he had been sleeping and his throat got dry. We had to wake him for pain meds and it was awful until we could get water down him. Our ENT was firm to let him eat whatever sounded good and we stuck with that. It wasn’t always things I would choose but hey. She also gave his the calculation for what fluid he needed minimum and that gave us a good guide. We let him drink literally anything (soda, Gatorade, whatever) to make sure he achieved it.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I guess true horror awaits us the day after tomorrow. We will go visit little Hannah‘s grandparents in China (from Germany). There will be a 9hr plane flight and I hope she will not cry thoughout.
Usually she is a trooper but she is now 15 months old and loves exploring as babies that age do. She is also on the brink of starting to walk.
I already bought 50 individually packaged earplugs for unfortunate passengers nearby. We will also pack new / unfamiliar toys. And hope for the best. Wish us luck!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Neco posted:

I guess true horror awaits us the day after tomorrow. We will go visit little Hannah‘s grandparents in China (from Germany). There will be a 9hr plane flight and I hope she will not cry thoughout.
Usually she is a trooper but she is now 15 months old and loves exploring as babies that age do. She is also on the brink of starting to walk.
I already bought 50 individually packaged earplugs for unfortunate passengers nearby. We will also pack new / unfamiliar toys. And hope for the best. Wish us luck!

Good luck!! We are considering a trip to Japan when our daughter is 6 months old. Hopefully all goes well.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Please tell me how the plane trip with a 15 month goes, we are likely going to do a return trip to NZ this November and our daughter will be 18 months old then. I am tossing up whether or not just to pony up the cash for her own seat or fly with her being very wriggly in my lap again.

femcastra posted:

Good luck!! We are considering a trip to Japan when our daughter is 6 months old. Hopefully all goes well.

A 6 month old on my lap the whole flight from Australia to NZ was more challenging than I thought - and it was only for 3 hours. Pack a ring sling; it will be a life saver for when she wants to be held/cuddled/sleep and your arm is dead. Also the infant seat belts are like way less secure than using a carrier, yet aviation safety requirements will force you to take them out of the carrier for take off and landing.

Most people recommended breastfeeding during take off and landing to help with the change in air pressure but I don't know if that's strictly by the airplane rules, since I couldn't figure out a way to do it without having to get her out of the infant seatbelt (or at least twisted around completely).

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

The lesson we learned when we flew 6 hours with our 13 month old was definitely pony up for their own seat. I had forgotten how cramped airplanes were and with a wiggly toddler on your lap it was even worse. He was actually exceptionally well behaved (no crying) but it was exhausting trying to entertain him for so long in a confined space. He couldn’t walk yet but wanted to explore and he wouldn’t sit still to watch a movie. I was just constantly pulling out snacks and books and new toys. It worked but we haven’t been tempted to fly again in over a year.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My son, turning five soon, has been a regular flier since he was 9 months.

And before he could walk was the easiest trip we had. He's been pretty good in all of them,but it was definitely easier when he couldn't walk and didn't realize he had control over his environment yet.

The worst was at just over 2. But it still went fine and I'd do it again!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Slimy Hog posted:

As piece of anecdotal evidence to the contrary, my wife and I have not had more anxiety than when our parents are visiting us and we are doing just fine on our own.
You do understand there's a difference between ongoing support (often since day 1) vs. an occasional untested visitor pitching in, right?

My brother-in-law and his brother had six kids between 1998-2005. While they lived in their own homes, they were only 2 miles apart and essentially the kids were raised jointly by my sister & brother-in-law and his brother & wife. I was living in another state much of the time, but I visited for the major holidays. Thinking back to those visits and remembering them come up with impromptu sleepovers where one couple would be childless for a night makes me think at how much easier my life would be with my 2 year old if I were in that environment with that occasional, sometimes unplanned break.

As it is, part of me relishes my MIL's weekend visits so I can sleep in to the extravagant hour of 7am and get caught up right personal projects during the day.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cheesus posted:

You do understand there's a difference between ongoing support (often since day 1) vs. an occasional untested visitor pitching in, right?
My point was that everyone's relationship with their family is different.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Leng posted:

Please tell me how the plane trip with a 15 month goes, we are likely going to do a return trip to NZ this November and our daughter will be 18 months old then. I am tossing up whether or not just to pony up the cash for her own seat or fly with her being very wriggly in my lap again.

My wife just did a cross US flight by herself with our 18 month old as a lap infant. From all accounts it was rough. They're not quite old enough to be enthralled by a video or something for long periods of time and they want to play or get up and run etc etc. I don't know if their own seat would make it *that* much easier but it might at least give you more space.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

If your kid's in their own seat, they can sleep and leave your hands free. The car seat won't be getting chucked around by baggage handlers. Having to stay put in that seat in a car is already familiar to them.

And, most importantly, they will be safer. Turbulence can happen with no warning at all and it has pulled lap children completely out of their parents' arms, sometimes to land several rows away. Lap children have also gotten hurt in rough landings where adult passengers were at worst bruised. Flying is much safer than driving, which is part of why lap children are still permitted in the US, but it's unambiguously safer not to hold another person during flight.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I’m not going to lie, I have zero interest in plane travel for at least a few years. I’m already exhausted by the idea of dragging along a car seat, a stroller, all the luggage etc. Maybe a long distance car trip next summer, not this one.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

zonohedron posted:

If your kid's in their own seat, they can sleep and leave your hands free. The car seat won't be getting chucked around by baggage handlers. Having to stay put in that seat in a car is already familiar to them.

Seconding getting them their own seat and bringing a lightweight car seat to put them in. Yes it’s a hassle getting it to the plane, but having them securely strapped in and in relative comfort is great.

The squeeze pouches of food also work wonders at that age, especially during take off and landing. Never had a problem getting them through security either.

If you absolutely must do the lap baby thing then also seconding the ring sling or carrier of some kind. The takeoff/landing ban is super annoying, though.

I’ve done transatlantic both ways with that age, much preferred them in their own seat. Luckily got much more peek-a-boo than side eye from fellow passengers, though somehow we managed to avoid major meltdowns. Did lots of finger walking up and down the aisles.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We're doing a big transatlantic trip in the fall with all our kids, and we ponied up the miles & cash to get our (then) 19-month old her own seat. On all the little regional flights we'll be holding her, but I once flew from LAX-Brisbane with our toddler who stayed awake and active the whole time and a flight attendant swore that if we had him in a carseat he'd have slept most of the trip. I took that advice to heart!

I really encourage people to fly with their kids, even from infancy. Our kids still talk about all our big trips, they remember the strangest things! But it's really an awesome shared experience.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I’m not going to lie, I have zero interest in plane travel for at least a few years. I’m already exhausted by the idea of dragging along a car seat, a stroller, all the luggage etc. Maybe a long distance car trip next summer, not this one.

I’m not going to try and convince anyone of it, because it is certainly not fun, but it really wasn’t that bad. We did Australia to NYC with a 16 month old and then again when she was 4.5 (this time with her 2 year old sister) and both times it was manageable. We didn’t take a stroller (first time there were plenty of adults and only one of her and second time they mostly walked). We didn’t take a car seat (we found it easier to buy or borrow them on arrival). I looked after the kids and he looked after the luggage. Airlines allowed us to enter the plane first and skip most lines. Had plenty of small games, snacks and iPad apps and yeah. It was okay =).

With 3 kids, no way in hell we’ll do it for a long while. But if you have to do it, don’t be intimidated! You’ll survive! Definitely splurge for the extra seat if you can afford it. We couldn’t the first time and were lucky they sat us on a spot with no 3rd passenger.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitiara posted:

With 3 kids, no way in hell we’ll do it for a long while. But if you have to do it, don’t be intimidated! You’ll survive! Definitely splurge for the extra seat if you can afford it. We couldn’t the first time and were lucky they sat us on a spot with no 3rd passenger.

I agree with this. I hate flying with my kids but my wife _loves_ flying and is much more willing to risk the "kid goes nuclear on a plane" situation that scares the poo poo out of me. But you're right - flying with kids, with proper prep and planning, usually goes fine. And even if it doesn't, its one flight and not the end of the world.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Axiem posted:

The school year is ending!

...which means that we're suddenly getting an absolute flood of artwork and assignment our precious oldest child did in school all year. We've always had this to an extent, but this year stepped it up by a factor of ten.

How do y'all manage all the school stuff that comes home? Especially when it's a veritable flood?
I put up clipboards all over the house and change out the art whenever. Like this but not "gallery walled" because a lot of the art is larger than 8.5 X 11:
https://desmoines.citymomsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2016/04/clipboards-logo-2.jpg

I throw out the old art when I put up new stuff. Unless it has a handprint - then I label it and preserve it like a relic.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
all the kids are...challenging right now. The oldest got the idea of “scared of the dark” from a book, so we have been fighting that for the past week. She wants the lamp on, but then stays up playing in her room and closet until super late.

The boys have been waking up a lot more, both from sickness/rashes as well as unfortunately waking each other up sometimes. Last night we got the kids to bed, I ran 13 miles, got back and ate some food, and right as I was about to turn on the the shower at around 1130 the monitor turns on, and I go hold one of them for 45 minutes.

He then woke up for the day at 530.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Kitiara posted:

Airlines allowed us to enter the plane first and skip most lines.

I was shocked when we flew with our 5 month old in January to discover the airlines here no longer do pre-boarding for families with children. Business class and wheelchairs only. The gate attendent was sympathetic but ultimately unhelpful.

This is in Canada.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I've done two 10+ hour trips with my kids at 9months/3 years and then at 21 months/4 years. First time we had the 9m old as a lap seat. It wasn't too bad, but it was way better to have seat for each kid. No way in hell would I have tried to bring 2 car seats along with all of our luggage though, we just let them sit in the seat and buckled them when needed.

Trip was actually pretty good, the real trick was to walk them around the plane whenever they got ansy. Also the plane noise in the back of the plane was great for putting them to sleep.

We flew with JAL and they were pretty great. Awesome kids meals and meals in general. They still preboard people with kids too.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 24, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Spadoink posted:

I was shocked when we flew with our 5 month old in January to discover the airlines here no longer do pre-boarding for families with children. Business class and wheelchairs only. The gate attendent was sympathetic but ultimately unhelpful.

This is in Canada.

Man that's bullshit. US airlines still do it though I'm sure they're planning on finding a way to charge for it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Last time we took a flight with the kiddo we waited until the very end before boarding because we didn't want to have to be stuck in the airplane trying to entertain him for an extra 30-40 minutes.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Our layover in Beijing today was pretty awesome I gotta say. 30 minutes from exiting the international flight to entering the domestic one, that‘s gotta be some kind of record for that huge airport.

We could cut in line for visa check and security check. Only the airport-internal security checkpoint was the usual crowd of people trying to cram through a small hole but that did‘t take too long.

Hannah was great during the flights, she played with those little plastic cups for hours on end. We had those roomy seats at the front of economy so she had some space on the floor where she could play. The other passengers were amazed at how quickly she could crawl when I „took her out“ through the aisles. A+ would bring my daughter on plane flights again.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Spadoink posted:

This is in Canada.

What airline? I got to board early when I was pregnant and any time I’ve flown porter they allow families with young children on for pre-boarding

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

54 40 or gently caress posted:

What airline? I got to board early when I was pregnant and any time I’ve flown porter they allow families with young children on for pre-boarding

Oh, come now, you know Porter also provides free food, drinks, and checked baggage, and that their business style does not apply to either Air Canada or Westjet :cheeky: I can't fly Porter as they don't go where we need to go.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Spadoink posted:

Oh, come now, you know Porter also provides free food, drinks, and checked baggage, and that their business style does not apply to either Air Canada or Westjet :cheeky: I can't fly Porter as they don't go where we need to go.

God I love porter. I’ve only had an issue with them once but man I haaaate the little air Canada planes. I’m so spoiled now because of porter. I actually don’t recall the last time I flew westjet

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
edit: I need to sleep on this, sorry

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 28, 2018

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Alright, talk to me about green poops.

Our son is 8 weeks and is breastfed. Starting at about week 6 he started having the occasional greenish poop. About a week ago he 'switched' to green poops all the time. They're almost comically green, like he's celebrating St. Patrick's Day late

It seemed the most likely explanation was a food allergy, so my wife began cutting stuff like dairy and eggs out. It's still green. Other causes pointed to things like sickness or an infection, but he doesn't have a fever, isn't overly fussy or tired, and is generally the same baby we had before these Dr. Seuss poops

We have his 2 month checkup on Thursday so we'll ask the doctor then, but does anyone have experience with this kinda thing? I'm almost inclined just to ignore it given he's gaining weight and is happy. I definitely don't want my wife to feel like she has to go on a chicken-and-rice diet or whatever

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If it's a food allergy there would be other symptoms. It's rarely going to manifest itself solely in a bowel movement. No reason to become miserable cutting out foods for the mother. I could see an iron heavy diet in the breastfeeding mother causing green poop but it's no reason to worry.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Does she feed both breasts or just one? Green poop is supposedly a sign of too much foremilk. If she's doing both breasts, try just doing one per feeding. If she's pumping, she should stop - she might have induced an oversupply.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

WarpDogs posted:

Alright, talk to me about green poops.

Our son is 8 weeks and is breastfed. Starting at about week 6 he started having the occasional greenish poop. About a week ago he 'switched' to green poops all the time. They're almost comically green, like he's celebrating St. Patrick's Day late

Various internet things I've read are conflicted on whether this is an actual thing or not, but I had this with my baby and thought it was a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (which my GP didn't dismiss out of hand as not a thing).

Foremilk is supposed to be more sugary and light to encourage them to drink but the hindmilk is actually heavier and fattier and packed with all the nutrients they need to grow.

You get this when you have over production of milk so baby always fills up on foremilk and doesn't get to hindmilk, thus resulting in green poop.

Solutions are to express off some of the foremilk first before offering feeds, or to block feed (i.e. feed only on 1 side and pump the other for a few hours before switching sides) to ensure baby gets hindmilk.

Don't pump too much or you'll end up making the oversupply issue worse. But you should find that after a few more weeks the milk production will settle down to match demand and if you're trying to build a stockpile then, you'll be wishing that you had those crazy supply times back again.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The foremilk imbalance is definitely an old school myth.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/

My second always had green poop due to my massive oversupply. 🤷‍♀️

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My bub had green poo bit also had mucus in the poo and had pain 20 minutes after each feed. She’s been diagnosed with a cow milk protein allergy, so I’ve cut out dairy for the past 4 weeks and will continue until she stops breastfeeding.

It takes up to 6 weeks for symptoms to disappear completely as it’s got to clear my system then hers. I’d say if it’s just green, no mucus or blood, and no other symptoms, it’s probably not an allergy.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The foremilk imbalance is definitely an old school myth.

Maybe? All I know is when I started pumping off some of the foremilk and block feeding and baby started feeding until each side was emptied, the green poop went away.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Is the only symptom and problem that the poop is green? If the kid seems fine then it's probably fine. Poop turns colors.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

FunOne posted:

Is the only symptom and problem that the poop is green? If the kid seems fine then it's probably fine. Poop turns colors.

Seconding this

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

FunOne posted:

pretty sure I vaguely remember my kid having green poop with being breast fed/topped off with formula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Any ideas on how to stop intentional spilling?

If we give our son a drink in any cup, sippy or straw, he will turn it and spill some on wherever he is. We've tried time out, we've tried taking it away and explaining. If it's possible, we try holding the drink for him. I'm just lost. Is it just a toddler phase?

:confused: