Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

reignofevil posted:

I make a massive food stockpile usually near my kitchens and main food hall and other than a stockpile at the bar for booze and one for seeds by the farm I just let the gods sort it out. Doesn't even matter whether I put a goblet stockpile nearby the big stockpile because eventually so many cups are just lying around down there everything works out.

Same. I sometimes try to organize it more but it always ends in failure and it's easier to just build a giant room full of mushrooms and rendered fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reignofevil posted:

I make a massive food stockpile usually near my kitchens and main food hall and other than a stockpile at the bar for booze and one for seeds by the farm I just let the gods sort it out. Doesn't even matter whether I put a goblet stockpile nearby the big stockpile because eventually so many cups are just lying around down there everything works out.

gently caress, I knew I was missing something. Yes, I also have stockpiles for useful seeds and one for drinks. Of course. If I'm doing any surface farming I have a seperate stockpile on the surface for those seeds.

I usually don't have any armor when the first goblins show up because I've been too busy organizing my dozens of stockpiles.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys sort out stockpiles for kitchen and still? I know I want a separate pile in the meeting hall for the actual prepared meals and drinks, but do you generally keep a stockpile for your unprepped foods and brewable plants? Or do you just mix all the raw ingredients together and let the dwarves sort them out with the work orders?

* 1 absurdly large stockpile, takes overflow from just about everything else, gives to all stockpiles below.

* 1 workshop stockpile, takes plants and meat/fish/fat from stockpile 1 above.

* 1 farm stockpile, takes seeds in bags only, no barrels.

* 1 tavern stockpile, takes booze and prepared food.

* 1 dye stockpile near the tailor's, only takes dye.

All stockpiles except the farm stockpile have seeds off and barrels on. All stockpiles have eggs forbidden, because I want them to leave the laying hens alone, plus liquid and milled plants because IIRC they have issues with containers.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sweet, that helped get some of the kitchen poo poo sorted nicely.

Protip: Apparently there's a bug in the game right now where if you move a liquid, like milk or beer, via DFHack, the liquid moves, but not the container it's in. Or the container moves as a separate thing, I'm not 100% sure. All I know is I figured this out after trading for a poo poo load of drinks from the caravan, and then almost had my whole fort get dehydrated because I had over 300 units of booze in a puddle on a single tile and no one could drink it.

The next question I have is in regards to manager work orders. I've got a job set for rendering fat, set as an infinite order, no conditions, checked seasonally. About every 15 seconds in game though, I get a job cancellation from some random dwarf trying to do the job. How do I get the job to only be checked and run once a season?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
With no condition on an infinite order it will activate until it cannot craft anymore. Then the next season it will enabled again (I'm pretty sure).

You're going to get that cancellation every season when you run out of fat to render. There's no way to stop that unless your condition limits things.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
i think your problem is pretty specific to rendering fat because i'm pretty sure that job uses the full <animal> fat stack at once, but if you have a lot of different butchered animals it's hard to determine how many orders you should have, since they all have different <animal> fat stacks.

i would create a small order of like 2 or 3, then add condition from reagents and have something like atleast: 3 or something.
Then you'd only get, at most, a couple of cancellations a season.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 24, 2018

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Doesn't fat get rendered into tallow automatically? Why do you need to set up a job order for it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think dfhack auto-renders fat by default yes, but it's pretty annoying (it interrupts cooking jobs) so it's very understandable why you'd want to disable that.

Also for some reason dwarf cooks almost always beeline for the tallow to put in their roasts if you forget to forbid it from cooking.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

DFHack will automatically ban tallow from cooking, won't it?

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Good Grief stress is a thing in 44.10.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I'm also planning on toning down the memories from seeing little corpse bits like teeth which can now traumatize people for the rest of their lives, and making other related changes.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 26, 2018

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
That's good. As funny as it was the first couple of times I am getting a tiny bit tired of checking a dwarf's thoughts and seeing this -

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Goodguy3 posted:

That's good. As funny as it was the first couple of times I am getting a tiny bit tired of checking a dwarf's thoughts and seeing this -

:psydwarf:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Love the one positive thought about felling a tree, there. :iit: :iit: :jeb: :iit: :iit: :iit:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Toady doing his classic bit of tossing in a Game Changer out of nowhere. Closing in on Hill Dwarves:

Toady posted:

You can now give your squad dwarves orders to stay at sites they've conquered, or to demand a site's capitulation if you'd like to avoid a fight and still occupy it. Dwarves sent on these missions will form a new site government with an administrator, just as has happened previously in the non-player battles, and the site will become part of your unofficial holdings, sending tribute. You can view all of your categorized holdings with a new map overlay that also shows the diplomacy state with other civilizations. I haven't seen one, but I imagine they are vulnerable to insurrections, like all occupations.

Now, the measly annual tribute isn't really compensation for losing a squad or more of dwarves, especially since you can extract tribute without leaving anybody on site already. So we're going to press on to peaceful hill dwarves and then incorporate your occupied holdings into whatever mechanics we get to there. In particular, being able to recall your soldiers and send your civilians out to the hills is in the works, though we're also trying to get the next release together as soon as we can, so it will be a bit thin until a followup release. At the very least, we'll have hillocks around your fortress and some kind of interaction with them in place for next time.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Toady posted:

In particular, being able to recall your soldiers and send your civilians out to the hills is in the works, though we're also trying to get the next release together as soon as we can, so it will be a bit thin until a followup release. At the very least, we'll have hillocks around your fortress and some kind of interaction with them in place for next time.

So in theory a fort could accept every single petitioner and then send all the excess bards and monster hunters along with the surplus cheese artisans and soap makers to the suburbs, tracked as more abstract and cpu saving population stats?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Make sure it's a suburb between you and the goblins.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Maarak posted:

So in theory a fort could accept every single petitioner and then send all the excess bards and monster hunters along with the surplus cheese artisans and soap makers to the suburbs, tracked as more abstract and cpu saving population stats?

oh my god please let this happen

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

meh call me when we have dwarven urban sprawl and dwarven yuppies

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And when the economy is re-enabled we can have dwarf gentrification.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is this thread still alive?

What on earth is going on here:

He's now starving/dehydrating to death because, well, can't eat or drink. :v:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 9, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just pour the beer into the open end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Is this thread still alive?

What on earth is going on here:

He's now starving/dehydrating to death because, well, can't eat or drink. :v:
You should probably save and send the save to Toady to look at.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is he secretly a vampire or something? Definitely post it and a big report

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

He's been tired/starving/dehydrated for almost a year now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Can vampires even get Winded?

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Zereth posted:

Can vampires even get Winded?

If his upper body is gone, he has no lungs. That's probably why he's winded. No air.

Edit: Wait are all the body parts greyed out on his status? Is he supposed to be a ghost?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

All the body parts are greyed out yeah. Both his upper and lower body are missing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfxsgv31tmy34u9/broken%20dwarf%20save.zip?dl=0

Here's the save if anyone is bored. He's in the drink stockpile next to the dining halls. Don't wait around too long though, everyone is about to turn into weregoats.

V 100% not a ghost.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 9, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nettle Soup posted:

All the body parts are greyed out yeah. Both his upper and lower body are missing.

Are you sure that isn't a ghost? Although I've never seen a ghost get winded or thirsty...

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whoever rescued and then operated on that dwarf is a medical genius but has created a MONSTER

Gotta be a dead flag didn't fire properly bug or something though - 'upper body missing' is something I usually see on dead dwarves' info pages.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 11, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Just pour some beer into Urist McWolverine's mouth, he'll get this regeneration thing sorted out soon enough

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How is an entity handled, it's a software bucket full of limbs and when a limb gets detached it's deleted from the list and a new entity detached_limb is created on the ground? Could there be an entity without any limbs? How does it know whether a bisected entity "is" the upper or the lower half?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If I recall correctly, the "person"/soul/etc is associated with the upper torso, and everything else is various attached bits that can get lopped off.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Aren't DF entities like trees with a "root" which is the skull (or body? maybe in some headless creatures) and then branching body parts?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Clearly, the soul of a dwarf resides in the nape. :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

reanimated corpses are bodies without souls

ghosts are souls without bodies

a fell dwarf can end up grabbing and murdering a ghost for his craft, but the lack of a body to actually do stuff with makes him immediately find another victim

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pharnakes posted:

There's plenty of species mods. Unfortunately none of them are dwarves and even more unfortunately most of them are cat girls. The orks are cool though.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1400238872

"Pipe weed seems higly addictive.

With one smoke every 3 days, I already have 4 addicts (over 13 dwarves) after approximativly a year. The addiction is not really a problem, but they also develop tolerence and then asthma !

Seems a bit out of LOTR lore here."

So there's that.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 11, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There is indeed, but it did only come out last week. The drugs bit is just standard Rimworld though.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm known as Lord of the Rims down at the gay bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
The number of actual body parts become very clear when you're dealing with risen dead and all your fighting mans use slicing weapons.