Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

They weren't paid at all, courtesy of the Black Dragonflight infiltrating Stormwind and stirring up conflict between the commoners and the nobles to keep Stormwind divided and weak.
Why is that still in my head despite how many years it was since I did that questline, only once or twice? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

Why is that still in my head despite how many years it was since I did that questline, only once or twice? :cripes:

Because Blizzard's retconned it a couple of times. Originally, the Stonemasons weren't paid at all. Then when Varian was reintroduced, they had a comic detail his backstory (Varian's wife died in the Stonemason riots) where the nobles did pay the Stonemasons the agreed-upon sum but egged on by Onyxia the Stonemasons demanded ridiculous extra amounts of gold. Then it was retconned back to the original version.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Cythereal posted:

Because Blizzard's retconned it a couple of times. Originally, the Stonemasons weren't paid at all. Then when Varian was reintroduced, they had a comic detail his backstory (Varian's wife died in the Stonemason riots) where the nobles did pay the Stonemasons the agreed-upon sum but egged on by Onyxia the Stonemasons demanded ridiculous extra amounts of gold. Then it was retconned back to the original version.

I'm glad it was kept to the original "Stonemasons never got paid," as that's part of the reason (in my mind) why the Stonemasons/Defias (no point is spoiling this, because if I get to the point of LPing World of Warcraft, something will have gone terribly wrong in my life and I'll need you to send help) are so popular. They were born out of a real problem in Warcraft. There were several years of violence and someone needed to clean up the mess. They got involved and due to the greed of nobility, they got the shaft. They rise up but in a really lovely way and form the Brotherhood which is more hellbent on vengeance than actual change.

Because of course. These guys know only war. You don't stage walk outs or open petitions in Azeroth. You gather up all your buddies and just start murderin'.

So to say, "Yeah, no, they weren't the bad guys, it was this magic draaaaaagon," is super lame.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 24, 2018

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I have posted this but this thread rules and the movie review/riff is one of my favorite something awful things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azzur posted:

So to say, "Yeah, no, they weren't the bad guys, it was this magic draaaaaagon," is super lame.

Well, that's been the plot from the beginning - the retcons were briefly making it more the Stonemasons' fault, but the whole thing was a magic dragon's plot regardless. Just, originally and currently it was a magic dragon duping the nobles into not paying. The Black Dragonflight were one of launch WoW's biggest villains, and for the Alliance the culmination of plots that had been building since their starting zone.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Cythereal posted:

Well, that's been the plot from the beginning - the retcons were briefly making it more the Stonemasons' fault, but the whole thing was a magic dragon's plot regardless. Just, originally and currently it was a magic dragon duping the nobles into not paying. The Black Dragonflight were one of launch WoW's biggest villains, and for the Alliance the culmination of plots that had been building since their starting zone.

Whoops. My bad! I'll admit that after several zones in WoW, my brain turned into "See exclamation point, click accept. Reading will only slow me down now." I have brought shame to my former basement dwelling self."

Now I'm a cheap apartment dwelling self.

Herr Tog posted:

I don't know if I have posted this but this thread rules and the movie review/riff is one of my favorite something awful things.

Hey, that means a lot! This project brings me a lot of happiness and I like knowing that there are people out there getting something, too!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azzur posted:

Whoops. My bad! I'll admit that after several zones in WoW, my brain turned into "See exclamation point, click accept. Reading will only slow me down now." I have brought shame to my former basement dwelling self."

In vanilla, most plots in WoW lead back to one of a select group of bad guys.

Elementals: The villains of the first 40-man raid in WoW, elementals were in control of the Dark Iron dwarves and thus ultimately behind almost all the evil plots and bad guys in dwarf and gnome territory.

Gurubashai: The troll worshipers of Hakar, the Blood God. Villains of the first 20-man raid, and ultimately behind every troll plot.

Black Dragonflight: The masterminds behind just about every problem in human lands, and also in control of the Dark Horde that both the Alliance and Horde contended with.

Undead Scourge: Yup.

Burning Legion: A surprisingly minor appearance in WoW, concentrated in a few zones like Blasted Lands and Felwood, and ultimately behind the Scarlet Crusade that the Forsaken were fighting from the word go.

Ahn'Qiraj: The Silithid were a recurring problem if you quested in Kalimdor, starting around the Barrens: a bunch of mysterious bugs emerging from the ground in southern Kalimdor that seem to be slowly spreading. Would eventually become the minions of the Old Gods, tying into the Forgotten One from WC3, and the first taste of what would become a long-running bunch of bad guys for WoW.

Almost every race's specific zone stories ended up tracing back to one of these groups.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Azzur posted:

Hey, that means a lot! This project brings me a lot of happiness and I like knowing that there are people out there getting something, too!

Like you made me wanna watch a really bad movie about a game that I missed. You doing some good poo poo here. Ganbatte.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Azzur posted:

That was me after my first week of playing, my thinking was "ugh, so many words to read, if only we could have some voice acting"

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Kul Tiras, at a temporary Horde Stronghold (Castle Necksmasher)...

: The set back with the Book of Medivh has cost us dearly. The humans are starting to get wise to our presence.

: Does dat got somethin' ta do with th' time we attacked dere capital? Or burnt down dere navy?

: Necksmasher. The troll.

: Yeah, yeah, bad troll or whatever. Come on, Rotbrains, we calling this thing off or what?

: Quite the contrary. We must still gather the artifacts and I'll be damned if we return to Draenor without them.

: Interesting choice of words there, Lord Gorefiend.

: I have spoken further with Lord Prestor of Alterac-

: Pfft. Weak human traitor.

: -and he has told me of the locations of the artifacts that we seek. I've marked them on the map before you.

: Uhh... this human knew the location of three of the most powerful artifacts of this world? Why wouldn't he just claim them himself?

: Humans just don't have the same cunning that we orcs possess.

: Chieftain, last week you tried to make rum out of seawater.

: Exactly. I'm filled with cunning.

: Enough. You have work to do, my minions.

: Can I point out what a stereotypical, and incorrect, title that is?

: Necksmasher, you are in charge of securing the The Book of Medivh.

: The what?

: Chieftain, the one thing that we've been searching for since we came here.

: You're gonna have to be more specific.

: Take your laborer with you.

: Oh, I thought that I could... maybe take care of another artifact.

: No need. Knight Vilefeast and I shall gather the Eye of Dalaran. Only we are equipped to deal with the mages there.

: Of course, my lord.

: Uuhhh...

: Quiet, Nigel.

: UUUHHHH...

: Stop drawing on the map.

: Nah.

: 'Ey, mon! Dat means dat I...?

: Indeed. Troll, you are to get the scepter from the Tomb of Sargeras.

: That's that place where Gul'dan died, right? The all powerful warlock that had unstoppable magic? Haha, wow. Good luck, 'Chops.

: Do not fear, troll, for though your presence disgusts me, I do not wish for your death.

: Uh, dat's good, right?

: I will be sending you along with the chieftains of the Thunderlords and the Bonechewers.

: Oh. Eh. Hi, mon?

: Chieftains Fenris and Tagar?

: Oh, hey! I killed, like, a BUNCH of your clansmen.

: That ambush of yours was foul, Necksmasher.

: I CARE NOT. MY MEN ATE WELL THAT NIGHT.

: Lookin' forward ta workin' wit'cha.

: Hahaha. You guys are all gonna die.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 7, 2019

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
All this Defias talk makes me want to play WOW again. Deadmines was my absolute favorite.

Unfortunately I am now an adult with a job and a wife and those are both not WOW conducive.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh holy moley I missed this! You do good things Azzur, never stop. :allears:

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Thyrork posted:

Oh holy moley I missed this! You do good things Azzur, never stop. :allears:

Not even death can stop my dumb posting.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
So many little chuckles with that latest update.

But hold on, I thought Nigel and co. destroyed Dalaran last game. Morningbreath the Dragon (whatever happened to him anyway?) burned it down!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

achtungnight posted:

So many little chuckles with that latest update.

But hold on, I thought Nigel and co. destroyed Dalaran last game. Morningbreath the Dragon (whatever happened to him anyway?) burned it down!

It's those darn mages and their pesky Eye of Dalaran. With the amazing power to... make magic better... for building stuff? Yeah, those bastards rebuilt super fast.

And Morningbreath has gone on to start a comedy podcast. Nigel and he have broken all communication for obvious reasons.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Donkringel posted:

All this Defias talk makes me want to play WOW again. Deadmines was my absolute favorite.

Unfortunately I am now an adult with a job and a wife and those are both not WOW conducive.

Have a little love song for the old Deadmines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7ehxyYRQc Kinda appropriate to see the Defias bosses celebrating prematurely there. The video was made when it was announced that the place would be bumped up to be then-current content but before it became known that the story would be changed and thus all the bosses got kicked out.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Donkringel posted:

You could always play the trial version, if nothing else. It caps at level 20, but Deadmines is still a level 15 dungeon. Getting to 15 shouldn't take more than a couple of hours if you screw around some of the way.

I'm still a firm advocate of the trial version capping at the penultimate expansion, giving you a wicked taste but withholding the very latest stuff. You've got barely a pittance of toys to play with at level 20, it's so stupid.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Actually, ever since patch 7.3.5, all old-world content scales up to level 60, now. They spread out Legion's level-scaling system to ALL previous expansion content, so it levels with you; helps prevent you from outlevelling a zone too fast so you can actually go through the entire zone's questline without the quests going grey halfway through.

It's honestly really nice. They also slowed down levelling a bit by increasing exp needed (by how much depends on where you are in the levelling), and some people are butthurt over that, but levelling can actually be enjoyable again, instead of a brainless grind.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Donkringel posted:

Blizzard updated the Deadmines with new bosses in Cataclysm after they changed Westfall and the rest of the initial Human areas a whole bunch to take into account progression of time since Vanilla's release, right? The boss is now VC's daughter (who you get to know during the new Westfall storyline that reveals her backstory), out for revenge, but still rocking an Ogre Dreadnought, IIRC.

E:F;B

Also, the new Westfall storyline starts off with a CSI:Miami reference, to date it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Poor Bloodgut, he was just praying that he'd escape Nigel.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Valiantman posted:

Have a little love song for the old Deadmines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7ehxyYRQc Kinda appropriate to see the Defias bosses celebrating prematurely there. The video was made when it was announced that the place would be bumped up to be then-current content but before it became known that the story would be changed and thus all the bosses got kicked out.

Well that was drat fun. Thanks for that.

I may do the trial version, see if it scratches the itch.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Also, the new Westfall storyline starts off with a CSI:Miami reference, to date it.

Welcome to the majority of the writing in Cataclysm where the guy writing the Flintlocke comics became lead writer.
Now he works on the Hearthstone team and it's a much better fit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Vanessa Van Cleef is still around in the fluff, incidentally. She was involved in the rogue class storyline in the most recent expansion as part of a secretive guild of assassins that includes Garona, the second in command of Pandaria's military, and King Genn Greymane's daughter.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Cythereal posted:

In vanilla, most plots in WoW lead back to one of a select group of bad guys.

Elementals: The villains of the first 40-man raid in WoW, elementals were in control of the Dark Iron dwarves and thus ultimately behind almost all the evil plots and bad guys in dwarf and gnome territory.

Gurubashai: The troll worshipers of Hakar, the Blood God. Villains of the first 20-man raid, and ultimately behind every troll plot.

Black Dragonflight: The masterminds behind just about every problem in human lands, and also in control of the Dark Horde that both the Alliance and Horde contended with.

Undead Scourge: Yup.

Burning Legion: A surprisingly minor appearance in WoW, concentrated in a few zones like Blasted Lands and Felwood, and ultimately behind the Scarlet Crusade that the Forsaken were fighting from the word go.

Ahn'Qiraj: The Silithid were a recurring problem if you quested in Kalimdor, starting around the Barrens: a bunch of mysterious bugs emerging from the ground in southern Kalimdor that seem to be slowly spreading. Would eventually become the minions of the Old Gods, tying into the Forgotten One from WC3, and the first taste of what would become a long-running bunch of bad guys for WoW.

Almost every race's specific zone stories ended up tracing back to one of these groups.

I always liked this bit, y'know? They spent the whole game building up this meta-plot that you could pay as much (or as little) attention to as you wanted. It was entirely possible for you to pick up some bread crumbs somewhere or other and not even notice it. Like, there was a few quests for the Silithids right in the Orc/Troll starting zone, there was another one in the southern expanse of the Barrens. I didn't really pay it any mind until I ran into actual hives of the fuckers in the Feralas wildlands and the Thousand Needles salt flat, then the big ones in the Tanaris desert and Un'goro Crater. Then I realized "Oh. These guys are Bad poo poo. Oh, they've been building that up since I was Level 1. Cool."

Nowadays they do the same thing, but it's on the scale of whichever expansion rather than the whole game. Wrath of the Lich King was fantastic for this, not only were they building up the Lich King as the Biggest Bad since loving Warcraft 3 (the next villain was Deathwing coming out of nowhere for gods sake), but each zone had its own little metaplot that culminated in that zone's dungeon. It was really cool.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 24, 2018

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Nowadays they do the same thing, but it's on the scale of whichever expansion rather than the whole game.
Of course the biggest reason that it’s only on a per-expansion basis now is that over the first few years of WoW, basically every existing villain or threat left over from the RTS games or Vanilla WoW has been systematically crushed by a bunch of heroes to save the world randos looking for shiny objects.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

MagusofStars posted:

Of course the biggest reason that it’s only on a per-expansion basis now is that over the first few years of WoW, basically every existing villain or threat left over from the RTS games or Vanilla WoW has been systematically crushed by a bunch of heroes to save the world randos looking for shiny objects.

yeah, and expansions are, by necessity, smaller in scope. the early years of WoW really had the whole 'pre-established familiar setting' going for them, carrying over locations and characters and plot threads from warcraft 3. it really kicked off with burning crusade, where you got to follow up on the whole Frozen Throne plotlines with Illidan and Maive and the naga and the blood elves and Outland, and Wrath of the Lich King was basically the culmination of all the modern Warcraft plotlines, climbing up the undead boss-ladder with Anub'Arak, expanding on the Forgotten Ones deep below Northrend, dunking on Ya Boi Kel again, and finally everything led up in one decisive battle against Arthas himself.

it's really illustrative where everything after that has basically been poo poo exclusive to WoW. like, for cataclysm they had to bring Deathwing out of loving nowhere to be a big bad when the last we heard of the Black Dragonflight being nefarious was the Onyxia plotline in vanilla.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

MagusofStars posted:

heroes to save the world randos looking for shiny objects.

the word you're looking for is "murderhobos"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

yeah, and expansions are, by necessity, smaller in scope. the early years of WoW really had the whole 'pre-established familiar setting' going for them, carrying over locations and characters and plot threads from warcraft 3. it really kicked off with burning crusade, where you got to follow up on the whole Frozen Throne plotlines with Illidan and Maive and the naga and the blood elves and Outland, and Wrath of the Lich King was basically the culmination of all the modern Warcraft plotlines, climbing up the undead boss-ladder with Anub'Arak, expanding on the Forgotten Ones deep below Northrend, dunking on Ya Boi Kel again, and finally everything led up in one decisive battle against Arthas himself.

it's really illustrative where everything after that has basically been poo poo exclusive to WoW. like, for cataclysm they had to bring Deathwing out of loving nowhere to be a big bad when the last we heard of the Black Dragonflight being nefarious was the Onyxia plotline in vanilla.

That is what killed the draw for WOW for me. Once stories started getting away from War3 I lost interest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Donkringel posted:

That is what killed the draw for WOW for me. Once stories started getting away from War3 I lost interest.

WoW is desperately looking for new villains, to the point that in BFA it's starting to go "What if the Light was just as bad as the Void?" Which, rather understandably, disillusioned the guy doing the WC3 LP to the point of killing his interest in the entire setting.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Overly complicated and convoluted stories always kill interest for me. Call it a consequence of growing up enjoying tales of Spider-Man, then seeing the debacles of the Clone Saga and One More Day. Being a Star Wars fan and all the novel & comic continuations that were canon before Disney stepped in didn’t help either (nor do I like the official prequels & sequels much, but I digress). When WC3 came along, I was already bitter and disgusted with convoluted stories. WoW did them bad enough I’ve only played in my imagination and probably never will in actuality.

Thank all Godly powers that doesn’t keep me from enjoying this LP.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Donkringel posted:

Same. When WoW was a sequel to Warcraft 3 I was a lot more engaged. When it was a sequel to WoW I pretty much checked out.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

WoW is desperately looking for new villains, to the point that in BFA it's starting to go "What if the Light was just as bad as the Void?" Which, rather understandably, disillusioned the guy doing the WC3 LP to the point of killing his interest in the entire setting.

oh my god that is the stupidest poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

oh my god that is the stupidest poo poo

Yep. But as it is, BFA has turbo-Light charged draenei (even more than the regular draenei and Lightforged draenei we already have) going on a rampage in alt-Draenor to convert or kill all the orcs. Legion also had a Naaru call all the players short-sighted idiots for killing Illidan and his armies back in TBC (on another Naaru's orders, and Illidan and friends were straight up villains at the time).

But it's an organized religion with vaguely Christian trappings in a video game, of course it's going to be evil.

I'm going to stop myself now. I generally like WoW despite all its flaws, but I really loving hate just about everything about BFA so far.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 25, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i dunno, super-light draenei doing orc genocide sounds pretty great. would be a shame very eco-unfriendly if all those bones went to waste though, and hey maybe we can find a use employment for those newly-liberated souls too. maybe some kind of mass transit system.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 25, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Seems to me like warcraft just fell into the age-old trap that any sufficiently long-running franchise threatens: constantly upping the stakes while running out of immediate plot threads causing them to expand upon more and more obscure material, blowing up things that didn't seem to matter or were already solved in order to generate new content.

Not that it isn't terrible, mind.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Episode 11: The Tomb of Sargeras or Two Chiefs, a Troll, and a Scary Place

Mission Briefing

: Ah... Dis be all dat made it, mon?

Welcome to the old "dungeon mission" on steroids. Remember these? You're given a limited number of units and asked to make it through. As with all things in "Beyond the Dark Portal," this is significantly more difficult than it appears at the outset. There's a lot of perfect play required and you will absolutely need either a bit of luck or some foreknowledge to get through this.

: It couldn't be helped. I'm not sure where those Kul Tirans were hiding their frigates, but they came out of nowhere.

: THEY MERELY CULLED THE WEAK. COME. WE TARRY TOO LONG.

: Patience, chieftain. These are no ordinary caves. This is the tomb of Sargeras. Can you not feel the power?

: We can't. That's why Gorefiend sent you along with us, you glorified bloodhound.

: Such a shame. The energies that surround this place are quite... exquisite.

: Ya, das great, mon, but can we get dis job ova' wit? Dis place don' feel good ta me.

: As you wish. I, too, am excited to see what this tomb holds.

This is a good time to point out something very important: Sight. In a game of throwing massive numbers of men against each other, sight range isn't considered too often (beyond rolling some death wagons up to enemy fortifications). However, if you have the time to slow down and really conserve your units, it's good to take note that the death knight has a whopping 9 Sight! Welcome to being the scout for the team, buddy.

: Like, uh, skeletons, mon?

: My name is not "mon." Irksome trolls.

: SKELETONS? FOUL CREATURES.

: I'll take care of this. The Hunter needs prey.

: 'Ey, dun worry, Chief-mon, we trolls got dis. Don't need ta risk ya skin while I can split dey heads from twenty paces.

: Hmph. Smart troll.

: Ah, deese juju beasts be made o' sterner stuff den I thought.

: WORTHLESS. OGRE. KILL.

I mean it, you have to conserve every hit point you can. Using the trolls to whittle down the undead is a good way to save yourself the headache of trying to micro your finite hp away. Thankfully, that ogre didn't sustain any damage and just finished off the weakened skeleton.

: Now that the trolls have done their part, can we continue? This place is tainted.

: We are not so fortunate. The land yet still teems with the unliving.

: ...take a look at your own reflection, wight. No matter, more for me to-

: 'Ey, don't worry, chief. We got dis.

: Rrrrggh! drat you trolls to the Nether! I don't need your assistance!

: Woah, hold on, dere. I'm jus' doin' what needs to be done.

: I can think of something that needs to be done, troll.

: Enough squabbling!

: Do you see what I see?

: Farms, down here?

: THOSE ARE OLD MARKINGS. STORMREAVER? TWILIGHT'S HAMMER? WHAT SAY YOU, BLOODREAVER?

: I say we take a closer look. If it is a trap, then at least Chieftain Wolfbrother will get the battle he so desperately craves.

: More curious. It looks like whoever was down here were busy assembling some transport.

: Dat may be good fer us, Lord Bloodreva'. It looks like da tomb took on some wata' damage after Nigel and Vile-mon were here last.

: Do not mention that Necksmasher in my presence.

: Weird, Nigel got da same rule about Doomhammer.

: Hold... there's something-

: I SMELL FLESH!

: Humans?!

: I CARE NOT. HAHAHA! SCREAM FOR ME, SMALL-TEETH!

: Save some for me, you lumbering oaf.

: YOU CAN HAVE THE LEFTOVERS.

: Chief Spinebreaka'! By da spirits, what you be doin' mon?!

: EATING.

: You disgust me, Tagar.

: WANT A BITE?

: ...Uhh, Ragnok, how we be lookin'? I kinda wanna get dis over wit' now.

: It seems that there is a functional shipyard left behind by our former comrades. And there's even a transport here.

: Ah, lucky. We get ta go furtha' in.

: Let's go.

: Wait, Wolf-mon.

: You know that he's not actually a wolf, correct?

: We dun know what be in dis cave. One o' us should scout da wata'ways before we all get in da craft.

: Sounds like someone just volunteered.

Moments later...

: An' I thought it was bad workin' unda' Nigel. Dese orcs be out dere minds, mon.

: I mean, dat Tagar went an' ate dat human! I know dat Vile-mon's got problems, but he don't know no betta'. Eh? Whassat?

That thing I mentioned about making every move very carefully? This is one of them. There's a mage on a nearby island who completely empties his available Magic into fireballs. If this hits your units, you may as well start over. However, if you lure out the fireballs with your transport, you just saved yourself a great deal of trouble.

: Wicked voodoo! Daz'kah!

: ...eh. Looks clear enough. We'll skirt dis island.

Back at the Tomb entrance...

: ...so dat island over dere has some nasty mojo 'round it. We sail right past no problem.

: TAGAR SPINEBREAKER DOES NOT RUN FROM BATTLE.

: Better that we leave nothing behind us should we need to escape.

: Eh? But we dun even have da dead guy wit' us.

: Ragnok Bloodreaver? He is not one of us. Not anymore. Once you become one of those... things it's all over. He can wait while we get the scepter.

: 'E's da only one o' us dat can sense it.

: I CARE NOT. HE GIVES ME THE... WHAT IS THE PHRASE? THE HEEBIE-JEEBIES.

: drat. More dead on this island.

: URGH. USELESS.

: What's a temple doin' here?

: These foundations look old. Something that Gul'dan's men set up in the last war?

: HMPH. TRAITOR.

: Da temple I might be able ta understand, but... da humans?

: QUESTIONS LIKE THAT ONLY SPOIL THE MOMENT, MAG'FON.

: EH?! WHERE'D THAT MAGE GO?

: Quiet down, Tagar. We don't know what lurks in this tomb.

: SOMETHING TO WASH THAT KNIGHT DOWN, I HOPE.

: Happy thoughts... happy thoughts...

This Temple of the Damned is essential for making it through this mission. I'd be curious to see if someone did this without it. You only get access to two spells, but one of them is Death and Decay, so... It's not a problem. I tried a few runs to make Raise Dead work, just so I could finally show it off. No luck. It's still pretty useless.

: At least Ragnok could put some of these magicks to use.

: It's pronouced "magic," Chief-mon.

: What?

: I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR MEANING.

: It's... it's dis whole... ting.

: Enough from the troll. Let's get going.

: Happy thoughts... happy thoughts...

: Da smell of a freshly sharpened axe...

: Dat one time dat I got ta oversleep...

: Burnin' down Quel'thalas... Eh? 'Ey! Fenris, dere be some sorta forest down 'ere.

: Hmmph. Could be supplies there.

: Wait here. I'll check it out.

: Alone, Wolf-mon?

: Scared, troll?

: HAHA. LOOK AT THE WAY HIS EARS QUIVER. HE LACKS ORCISH BRAVERY.

: I'm not scared, Chief-mon, I'm cautious.

: FUNNY WAY OF SAYING THE SAME THING.

: 'Ey! I've fought on da front lines o' da war, mon. Whaddabout joo, Tagar?

: I HAD MY OWN WAR TO WIN.

: Did dis war o' yours involve eatin' otha' orcs, too?

: I ONLY CONSUME THOSE TOO WEAK TO STAND WITH HONOR.

: Joo eva' eat an ogre, mon?

This little lumber mill is tucked away in a relatively unseen part of the map. Again, I don't see how you're supposed to get through this map without finding these. As well, you can get some upgrades for your trolls, which will make the upcoming section a bit more bearable.

: WHERE DID YOU SEND THAT SLASHER WITH OUR BOAT?

: I sent 'im ta pick up Bloodreaver. I dun like doin' dis without knowin' where we be goin'.

: WEAK.

: Cautious.

: Did you remember that you needed me?

: DO NOT FLATTER YOURSELF, HALF-MAN.

: Actually, Ragnok, mon...

: Da humans set up some fortifications down here.

: It is no matter. The scepter does not lie down this path.

: Oh. Das good den. We'll jus'-

: BUT WHAT COULD THE HUMANS BE GUARDING?

: Das besides da point! We get da scepter and we get out!

: The Eye... Perhaps Chieftain Spinebreaker has a point. We may make use of whatever the humans are guarding.

: Yes... that's it elves... can you hear the grave calling your names?

: Ah! ...Well, it's only some elves anyway.

: YOU SPOIL THE MEAT, CREATURE.

: It was you who wanted to know what lay beyond.

: Look what I found.

: Chieftain Fenris! Eh? What're deese? Stormreavers?

: And some of Cho'Gall's former men.

: THERE ARE SO MANY THAT I FEEL LIKE I'M LOSING MYSELF IN THE CROWD.

: Dat seems... convenient.

: You lot look as though you've been busy.

: Well we killed a buncha elves, if you call dat busy.

: I killed a bunch of elves. You watched.

: Well dese Stormreava' trolls can be more useful den me, I suppose?

: GOOD SUPPOSING.

: Deese chieftains be da worst. Makin' me miss da Chief.

: Oh, good. More o' da undead.

: What're da humans doin' guardin' deese tings?

: Perhaps the humans seek to seal them within, not protect them

: Deese skeletons, mon...

: Ah, so you've noticed?

: Dey're orcs, mon.

: A haunted existence.

: Strange talk comin' from you, mon.

: We are different, those fallen orcs and I.

: For instance...

: I can do that. Now be quick, these creatures will not stay down long.

: Eh? Why's dat, mon? I dun know no stuff about yer magic.

: Not mine. Gul'dan's.

: WHAT IS TAKING YOU SO LONG, MONGRELS?

: It seems as though we've come upon a human prison of sorts. Lend us one of your ogres, Tagar.

: FINE. HAVE YOU DISCOVERED WHAT THE HUMANS WERE GUARDING?

: I tink 'e jus' told joo, mon.

I should point out now that the orcs you find throughout the mission are colored to be a part of the Bonechewers. However, the mission briefing notes that these are remnants of the Stormreavers and Twilight's Hammer from the Second War. This guys have been living here for about two years. This isn't really all that much of a stretch once we see what the ecology of the Tomb of Sargeras is like in later games.

: MORE OF THESE WEAKLINGS. TOO MALNOURISHED TO EVEN BE A DECENT MEAL.

: It's not gettin' any less disturbin' the more ya mention it, Tagar.

: Sentries! Get those men out of there!

This actually wiped a run of mine when I went into this unprepared and tried to fight the "guards." It just gets all your new units beat up and practically useless for the next bits to come. The best course of action is to just beat feet.

: PFFT. WE SHOULD HAVE JUST KILLED THEM.

: Patience and care go a long way, Chieftain Spinebreaker.

: This is starting to look like a true warband. This tomb shall pose no difficulties for us now.

: I dunno about dat, Wolf-mon. Da Stormreavers be speakin' about daemons lurkin' in dis here place.

: FEH. DAEMONS. OUR SLAVES FROM THE FIRST WAR AND NOW OUR REFUSE. I DO NOT FEAR THEM.

: Oh, but you should, Tagar Spinebreaker. I have spoken to these daemons before. I have seen their legions. There is much to fear.

: The ravings of a fool. Come, we have flesh and blood to fight, not stories and half-remembered ghosts.

: Yes! This is more like it!

: Ain't Bloodreaver comin' wit' us?

: THAT THERE IS A WIELDER OF ENERGIES THAT WOULD REND THE TWISTED CREATURE ASUNDER. HE DARE NOT SHOW HIS FACE WITH THEM ABOUT.

: These paladins think that their magicks can save them. What fools. You can only count on your own strength in this world.

: It's pronounced... ah, what's da point?

: SOMEONE GET THE DEAD MAN. THE LANDING IS CLEAR.

The paladin issue is no joke. You have one death knight for this map and he is absolutely essential. If you get him within sniffing distance of a paladin, he'll get hit with some rapid fire Exorcism and go down in the blink of an eye. I actually lost two runs where my death knight died from an off-screen paladin. You have to be extraordinarily careful.

: Well done, chieftains. Troll. There is still much to do. I can sense the energies not far away now.

: But first...

You get a lot of mileage out of Death and Decay on this map.

: The way ahead is clear, troll.

: Thank you, skeleton.

: Your words do not give me pause, creature.

: I'm da creature?

: Wait... there's something ahead.

: Haha, an old Twilight's Hammer catapult. We're in luck.

: Das a death wagon, mon.

: ...are you a simpleton?

Oh, look, another tower. Guess what we're going to do here?

Yeah, there's a lot of Death and Decay required here.

: These humans will never learn.

: WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

: Yes, death knight, you and the trolls are keeping the hunt to yourself.

: Quiet, you fools!

: A battle! Lok-narash!

: FINALLY.

: SHORT AND UNSATISFYING. SOMETHING YOUR MATES MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH, EH, FENRIS?

: Ugh. I can't stand ya chieftains.

: YOU SAY SOMETHING, TROLL?

: Maybe dat we should secure dat death wagon now?

: The what?

: IT'S CALLED A CATAPULT, YOU LANKY WEAKLING.

: It appears that there are weapons here that your men could use.

: HMPH. WELL WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?

: For me to gather my strength.

: Like so.

: You take all the joy out of the hunt, dead man.

: I gotta say dat I appreciate dat we still alive.

: WHO ASKED YOU?

You don't have enough gold and lumber to upgrade everything on this map, so you have to choose carefully. I prioritized getting armor since I prefer my units alive. No matter what, you should have enough gold to increase the death wagon damage, however.

: We're getting closer. I can feel the power pulsating through the ground. By the spirits, this is marvelous.

: Where to now, Ragnok?

: Through this passage. Yet... I sense the presence of the Light. One of you should go ahead.

Did I mention that catapults have 9 Sight as well?

: Anyting ta get away from dose idiots.

: drat. Bloodreaver was right. Deese humans really don't want da undead gettin' outta here. 'Ey, Tagar!

: MY MEN ARE READY.

: Since when are they YOUR men?

: DO YOU NOT SEE MY NATURAL LEADERSHIP? UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE, I RECOGNIZE THE POWER THAT AN ORGANIZED WARBAND HOLDS.

: Enough, you two! We gotta glowin' eyed freak comin' our way!

: ONE VERSUS MANY. TRULY THESE HUMANS BELIEVE THAT ZEAL IS THEIR ARMOR.

: One can often do what an army cannot.

: Do joo two ever shut up? Even Nigel knew when ta shut 'is mouth.

: Am I thinking about the same Necksmasher as you?

: SURELY THESE HUMANS ARE RUNNING OUT OF FORCES BY NOW.

: A li'l bit at a time, mon. Rememba' we here ta get da scepta' and get out o' here. We ain't here ta start a new war.

: You don't need to remind me. Ner'zhul has already shown my clan what happens to those who step out of line.

: Yeah, what happened dere, Wolf-mon?

: He sent Nigel after me.

: ...Oof. Da's rough.

: THAT NECKSMASHER MAY BE AN IDIOT, BUT HE'S A LUCKY IDIOT.

: He got your men, too, didn't he, Tagar?

: HE AND GROM TOOK CARE OF HURKAN FOR ME. THEN HIS drat AMBUSH TOOK MY BEST MEN FROM ME. MY CLAN IS NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS.

: Yeah, I mean, but... Nigel ain't dat good o' a chieftain. 'E's an amoral, murderous drunk with no regard for 'is men.

: YES, AND?

: I hate you orcs.

: Not much farther now. My head feels as though it's going to burst with this much power surging through the air.

: Netherspit! Tagar, have your men take care of something for me.

: His men?!

: WITH EASE, BLOODREAVER.

I just love watching the mages disappear in a cloud of sparkles, to be honest.

: More of these wretched undead.

: Pot meet kettle.

: I got dis.

: Haha! Y'know, I can see why Nigel likes dese tings so much.

: Charge. Charge!

: These creatures do not like to stay dead.

: These things will live out their eternal torment for the rest of their days. Such is the price for their hubris.

: Dere hubris? Mon, ain't we doin' jus' what dey were doin'?

: They followed a traitor to their eternal damnation. You follow someone with vision.

: You lead me nowhere, dead man.

: We have some more elves to take care of.

: Yes... chase me, fools. Hahaha.

: Now!

: Deese humans be out o' dere depth, mon. Like skinnin' snakes.

: I'll add that strange saying to my list of reasons why trolls are not to be trusted.

: 'Cept joo need us to clear these undead.

: Hardly.

: I don't see joo rushin' ta the front lines.

: And take an injury that could have been better spent on you? I prefer this position.

: There's... something else here. Something more powerful...

: WHAT ARE YOU YAMMERING ABOUT, MAGE?

: Out of my way, humans.

: 'Ey, mon. Relax. No need ta lose our heads.

: You don't understand, you simpleton! There's something here. Something more powerful than you can possibly imagine!

: Yes. The scepter. What we're here to get.

: Hah! The power of that trinket pales in comparison to this. I've never sensed anything like this...

: PERHAPS THESE ARE THE SOURCE OF WHAT YOU ARE FEELING, NECROMANCER.

: I know well what I'm looking for, cretin!

: Are deese... runes left by Gul'dan?

: Messages... echoes of the past...

: We have more elves, here. Bloodreaver?

: The Eye... untold power...

: I'll take care o' dis.

: SLOPPY FORM, TROLL.

: For once, I agree with Tagar. You fight like a stripling and a coward.

: I dun care no more! Come on! Let's get dis over wit' and back to da Portal!

: TAKE COVER, RAGNOK. MORE OF THESE PALADINS ARE ABOUT.

: Burning eye... power of the Burning Crusade...

: He's useless. Come, to battle! Lok'tar ogar!

: Hurry now, the Eye is just in the room beyond!

: Da eye? What in da name o' da spirits joo be talkin' about, Bloodreava'?

: Enough talk! Are you going to stand there with your craw hanging open, or will you help me dispose of this mage?

: Truly pathetic. Are you certain that you used to be an orc, Ragnok?

: I am so much more now. And tonight, I shall be as a god.

: ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN WHEN SOMEONE STARTS TALKING LIKE THAT.

: The mage is getting away, you fools!

: No, 'e's not.

: Leave me the elves, then.

: FENRIS.

: Yes, Tagar?

: ARE YOU GOING TO EAT THAT?

: You disgust me.

: What are you waiting for?! Go! GO! THE EYE!

: Tagar. Fenris. We, uh... we ain't gettin' dis eye ting, right?

: Hell no.

: I'M STARTING TO GET FULL ANYWAY.

: Joo tink you can wrestle dat death knight to da ground once we get da scepter?

: CAN I WRESTLE THE CREATURE WITHOUT LIGAMENTS? YES. YES, I THINK I CAN.

: Good, 'cause- Oh, by da Blood God.

: It's got da scepta'!

: THEN KILL IT ALREADY!

So here's the culmination of the mission, a showdown with a lone daemon. I'm almost 100% sure that when I played this as a kid, I lost all of my trolls and was completely screwed when it came to taking this out. Daemons aren't particularly strong, but it's nice thematically; you're also likely to be pretty worn down by the time you get here.

: We are trying! What else could I possibly be doing?!

: Forget that creature! THE EYE LIES NOT FAR BEYOND!

: THE DAMNED THING IS POWERFUL!

: Must I do everything myself?!

: Ah, wow.

: I SUPPOSE THAT WORKS.

: Enough prattle. My godhood lies not far from here!

: Now, Tagar!

: TIME TO REST FOR AWHILE, BLOODREAVER!

: Heh. Victory.

: What are you going on about?!

: GIVE US A HAND OVER HERE, TROLL.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 4, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Hey, let's hope this distracts from the doom and gloom talk of how Warcraft is dying.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
That's a lot of quality spritework injected into the update. Kudos.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

McTimmy posted:

That's a lot of quality spritework injected into the update. Kudos.

A whole weekend and several beers well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I can't believe I just caught up with the thread just as the thread got an amazing update.

Also yay! :neckbeard: The Warcraft: O&H LP is one of the few LPs that I read twice in the archives and I'm so glad that you are doing W2 now.