Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Beautiful! How long have you had that in your back pocket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So while not sunk the Bataan and the HOrnet are probably both heavily damaged or crippled, and they can kepe on getting pounded by airstrikes from Truk and the Kido Butai so long as you stay out of the way of those BB's? Congrats Grey!

And hopefully the Task Forces won't be going fast enough anytime soon to get out of range. Second carrier battle in a row you've been lucky and not been hit by return strikes.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Sentai-0s on the shirt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's also the case that since the game tracks ammunition for individual guns, you can actually strike a TF over and over until they run out of flak bullets and then you don't have to worry about flak anymore, as long as you still have planes.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's also the case that since the game tracks ammunition for individual guns, you can actually strike a TF over and over until they run out of flak bullets and then you don't have to worry about flak anymore, as long as you still have planes.

I'm guessing that it's likelier the carriers will run out of planes long, long before the ships run out of bullets.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Arbite posted:

Beautiful! How long have you had that in your back pocket?

Just made it today :)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Good job Grey!

Serious question, not trying to stir up poo poo.

Does the game mirror Japanese attitudes to POWS and Chinese in the war? I notice that Bataan is out there, which reminded me of the Bataan death march, which is why I ask. Curious if the grognardyness goes in that direction as well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

acidia posted:

Has the US had ANY major territorial gains yet?

They've been doing okay in the Marshalls but even there, they're months behind schedule and the Marshalls aren't super valuable.

Donkringel posted:

Good job Grey!

Serious question, not trying to stir up poo poo.

Does the game mirror Japanese attitudes to POWS and Chinese in the war? I notice that Bataan is out there, which reminded me of the Bataan death march, which is why I ask. Curious if the grognardyness goes in that direction as well.

This kind of stuff is not modeled at all. POWs are kind of around in that pilots can get captured and occasionally escape, but there's no detail there. You can firebomb cities but otherwise the civilian populace is not in the game.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

KILL THE JOISEY

She wants revenge for Iowa.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

22 May 1944

Two Japanese destroyers torpedoed by US subs: Asanagi by Pollack in the Bonins and Hashidate by Picuda in the South China Sea. German minesweeper M-515 mined (of course) in the western Baltic by RAF-laid mine.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

acidia posted:

Ya, I don't really have a sense for the mentality the would have existed, but I could easily see the early rise of a Vietnam type popular resistance in the USA. Has the US had ANY major territorial gains yet? Their fleets appear superior to ours, I imagine force strengths are kept secret, so does the general populace even know that the Japanese fleet ISN'T also numerically superior? Does the common voter understand how much US industrial capacity can be diverted to the war effort? China isn't a close ally of the US and has been losing its war against Japan for a long time now. Give Japan the east indies and sign a white peace. If we take grey's war in the east play as happening concurrently, the allies have bigger problems to deal with given that Germany is rolling Russia.

If this was the case, then the situation is that Germany has ruled Europe largely uncontested for almost a year. Since the Soviets surrendered last July.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Greyverse-wise I always figured WiTP1 was concurrent with WiTE, and after (or come on, it's grey, probably at the same time) we'll get a WiTE2: Bolshevik boogaloo that would match up with this run.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has uPen won the war yet in his time line?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

uPen won in late November1943, so in that version a dozen armored corps are probably massing at the border.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Donkringel posted:

The closest thing that the game comes to this, is that most cities have an requisite amount of Assault Value in troops that you need to keep in the city, presumably to act as occupation forces. If you fall short, you start losing Victory Points and industry can get damaged, presumably because of resistance forces.

This isn't really a big deal for most of Southeast Asia, since most cities are small, and big cities like Singapore and Manila are going to have large occupation forces anyway just as a function of you using them, but it can be a thing in China, and even India and Australia if the Japanese ever get that far.

algebra testes posted:

Has uPen won the war yet in his time line?

uPen achieved final victory by capturing Berlin on the November 25, 1943 turn.

in comparison, Grey Hunter achieved final victory over the Soviet Union on the July 8, 1943 turn.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

uPen achieved final victory by capturing Berlin on the November 25, 1943 turn.

in comparison, Grey Hunter achieved final victory over the Soviet Union on the July 8, 1943 turn.

I win!

(I know the two sides are not that comparable. and I was actually fairly late in winning for the Germans.)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The ultimate showdown LP - Grey vs uPen, playing as the IJN and IJA.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm surprised there aren't more antagonistic / coop style games out there, actually. Both players working at the same task and forced to cooperate, but have a separate score that determines the true winner at the end that requires being a bit of an rear end in a top hat. The only one I recall seeing was the board game castle panic, but a full on Dysfunctional Empire Self Destructs In Face Of Minor Threat simulation game would be cool.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Friedrich and Maria are fantastic for that, though they are board games

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Decisive campaigns Barbarossa would be a fantastic game to play with each army group being a separate player, where everyone competes over PP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's an interesting scenario in TOAW, which I think is itself adapted from a wargame, where one player plays the Allies invading Germany from West plus the Germans defending against the Soviets in the East, while the other player plays the Soviets invading Germany from the East plus the Germans defending against the Allies in the West.

It gives both players a chance at playing offense and defense, and then also heavily incentivizes the defense to be as tough as possible because you need that time to let you run your offense into Berlin ahead of the other guy.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's an interesting scenario in TOAW, which I think is itself adapted from a wargame, where one player plays the Allies invading Germany from West plus the Germans defending against the Soviets in the East, while the other player plays the Soviets invading Germany from the East plus the Germans defending against the Allies in the West.

It gives both players a chance at playing offense and defense, and then also heavily incentivizes the defense to be as tough as possible because you need that time to let you run your offense into Berlin ahead of the other guy.

Its one of my favorites, playing as W/Allies and Germany I had reduced Germany to just Berlin after taking all of Italy, Austria, and Denmark, while smashing my friend who was the Soviets so hard I was able to open the Courland pocket and have them retreat without sea transport. :getin:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

lenoon posted:

Decisive campaigns Barbarossa would be a fantastic game to play with each army group being a separate player, where everyone competes over PP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793900

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
AGN own zone

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
AGS, still the best. Since, you know, we didn't get our panzers cut off multiple times.

It was a shame about Hans though.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

You guys are both wrong, best team is Train and Truck Nazi Team

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

disjoe posted:

You guys are both wrong, best team is Train and Truck Nazi Team

Oh my god, I forgot about train and truck nazi and the hilarity.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ouch, thanks for reminding me how hard I got owned.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Davin Valkri posted:

Ouch, thanks for reminding me how hard I got owned.

Well I had probably some of the most fun yet taking part so I enjoyed the whole thing and I think you did quite well as I still fail miserably trying single player in that game.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Sandman posted:

AGS, still the best. Since, you know, we didn't get our panzers cut off multiple times.

It was a shame about Hans though.

AGN getting our panzers "cut off" multiple times was actually just a very cleverly disguised series of maneuvers to get the enemy to overextend and the fact that AGC and AGS can't see that speaks to your strategic acumen :colbert:

Remind me again which AG became world-famous movie stars? Which AG had to break through the Stalin Line? Which AG got to their objective city first despite that?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 24, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm the only badass to serve in TWO Army Groups. :smuggo:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm calling it now: Grey's carriers get smashed by a third carrier none of his inexperienced pilots even saw.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

McNally posted:

I'm calling it now: Grey's carriers get smashed by a third carrier none of his inexperienced pilots even saw.

No, the battleships find his carrier group and sink the lot.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think the Yamato and the other big guns are in repairs for the time being, so this is unlikely.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think the Yamato and the other big guns are in repairs for the time being, so this is unlikely.

I think they mean the American battleships.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Look. Carriers are the natural prey of the battleship. We've already established that. So when battleships get close to carriers that are on the same side, they can still get a bit excited. And, well, that can lead to unfortunate accidents where a battleship launches a salvo, and then that riles up the other battleships, and the result's not pretty for those poor carriers.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
As long as the Mogami isn't launching torpedoes it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I told these guys to flee, instead they go on a suicide mission. Getting two torps into a battleship is good, but I doubt it'll be enough to sink her.

I've got to get those numbers up!

I made some midget subs on a whim, they do as well as you could expect.

We can't crack their flak.

Returning home, the Kido Butai run into a light carrier, but cannot get a hit in.

Their return strike does get a hit in, as they manage to bypass my CAP in record time.

Another invasion of Wake begins.

We hammer their ships as they hammer our troops.

Things go poorly for the small part of a division they've landed.

Of course, I take out three Essex class ships without a scratch, and a light carrier gets a hit!

She'll be okay – like most of the ships in the Kido Butai, the time will be needed to replace their air wings!

It's been a bad month for losing ships.