Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Man, wish I had waited for Detroit instead of buying into the 10/10 hype and getting God of War, which I've since played for like five hours. I don't want to buy a new full-price game every month. :( I guess I'll just download Beyond and wait for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Aardark posted:

Man, wish I had waited for Detroit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4BbxV3iJg8

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I just finally tried the Detroit demo last night, and it really got me in the mood for some stilted David Cage storytelling with incommensurate production values. His games are the good kind of bad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

detroit woke, so what

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite demonstration of the caliber of writing in Mass Effect Andromeda is they designed a whole new signature helmet for the Ryders just so it would break for the intro's Dramatic Moment.

How about when after pointedly telling you that in a first contact scenario to not assume new races action's are hostile, you shortly after have to shoot first (or your squadmate does) after seeing one of your shipmates on the ground with aliens standing over them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aardark posted:

I just finally tried the Detroit demo last night, and it really got me in the mood for some stilted David Cage storytelling with incommensurate production values. His games are the good kind of bad.

:yeah:

I’ve never found the writing in his games bad either. It’s just... odd. It has a certain style that always feels like some sort of bizarro noir situation.

I’m hyped to see how crazy the story gets.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

can u gently caress the robot s?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

They're talking about Detroit, not Nier

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

According to Eurogamer (who are one of the only review outlets I trust) this just means it doesn't go blindingly insane in the final act or try to pull pointless non-linear narratives etc. It's still clumsy and really doesn't lend proper respect to or take advantage of the social movements it's aping.

Sounds like it's worth a play just to experience it. Congrats to Redbox on the new Quantic Dream release!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I believe it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Would love to see this like Brian from Spaced

Anger
Pain
Fear
Aggression

Bombadilillo posted:

The games seem designed to branch into multiple plays but would be insufferable to play twice.

This one being "the most branching ever" oh boy

Didn't he flat-out say people should only play Heavy Rain once? Like he meant it to be each person should have their own singular experience of the narrative but as it turned out, yeah, each subsequent playthrough would only reveal how ridiculous it is and make everything fall apart

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The beauty of branching narratives, if one can overcome the mental shackles of dollars-per-hour gameplay efficiency, is not that you need to go down every path, but the existence of alternatives makes the path you did choose more significant.

Of course Quantic Dream's branching tends to be railroaded stupidity in any case so it doesn't apply to their games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The beauty of branching narratives, if one can overcome the mental shackles of dollars-per-hour gameplay efficiency, is not that you need to go down every path, but the existence of alternatives makes the path you did choose more significant.

Of course Quantic Dream's branching tends to be railroaded stupidity in any case so it doesn't apply to their games

Reviews say detroit has a fair number of scenes that are exclusive to certain choices which puts it above some of his others games where nothing interesting really happens one way or the other

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Reviews say detroit has a fair number of scenes that are exclusive to certain choices which puts it above some of his others games where nothing interesting really happens one way or the other

Unless you unluckily pick a boring path?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even outside of Cage's games branching narratives are more interesting for the possibility of experiencing a different playthrough rather than actually seeing all the paths for yourself.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Even outside of Cage's games branching narratives are more interesting for the possibility of experiencing a different playthrough rather than actually seeing all the paths for yourself.

I guess, but that introduces some anxiety into the gameplay which I dont care for.

What's with the flowchart, can you go back to any point and pick up from there? That's what I want.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think that’s mostly how it works in Detroit. Not totally sure but the game is definitely designed around a “fog of war’d” story map.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The first trailer really made it look like you could rewind time and try other things almost to a puzzle game degree, everything since looks like it's a live with your choice cagefest.

I was/am more interested in the puzzle game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bombadilillo posted:

The first trailer really made it look like you could rewind time and try other things almost to a puzzle game degree, everything since looks like it's a live with your choice cagefest.

I was/am more interested in the puzzle game.

click :) seems like you’ll get your wish

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

homeless snail posted:

I was watching the Giant Bomb vid for it and they had the Jesse Williams character getting beat up by a white human, and then the cops bust down the door and shoot the black android.

Holy poo poo.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I can't think of any time the branching narrative thing actually worked except for Alpha Protocol, that was cool as hell

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

jesus christ

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Yeah what an outrage, time for a boycott for sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

They're talking about Detroit, not Nier

The only penetration in NieR is that of my exceedingly large blade into pink orbs or spiraling strands of metallic anal beads covered with drillbits.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detroit sounds exactly like what real future america will be

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I must be offended... by video games!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Why are people dunking on Detroit for lacking grace? That's not necessarily a bad thing...one of the reasons people like comic book movies is that they aren't subtle, they literally have the character wear their themes as costumes and beat each other up. No real problem with a game that's like "YES, THEY ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS" from the jump

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wait...I'm lost, are people mad in this thread?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been playing Nier for a few hours and just died because I ate a fish!!! Got a cool swift credits sequence and then returned back to where I had just saved :D

Also I finished a quest where a resistance member was trying to make a family with old disused robots and there was an inbox update that he had died and it made me sad :(

Still loving this game!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Been playing Nier for a few hours and just died because I ate a fish!!! Got a cool swift credits sequence and then returned back to where I had just saved :D

Also I finished a quest where a resistance member was trying to make a family with old disused robots and there was an inbox update that he had died and it made me sad :(

Still loving this game!

All the robit feels.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Still loving this game!

There are lots of endings like that, but most of them are dumb, "you went the wrong way, the world was never saved" and a lot of fun ones like that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm probably not going to get Detroit, but I appreciate Quantic's existence just because they're exploring an under-explored category of storytelling. Even the mistakes are useful information for posterity.

edit: VVVV If you're referring to me, I'm talking about the branching storyline business

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 24, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Ah I see some goons are having their first encounter with the literally half a century old trope of androids as stand ins for minorities

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Ah I see some goons are having their first encounter with the literally half a century old trope of androids as stand ins for minorities
Its less that and more David Cage actually thinks that he came up with that idea

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

By laughing at cage's sledgehammer subtlety? Ok

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I'm probably not going to get Detroit, but I appreciate Quantic's existence just because they're exploring an under-explored category of storytelling. Even the mistakes are useful information for posterity.

edit: VVVV If you're referring to me, I'm talking about the branching storyline business

Choose your own adventure books have a rich and storied tradition of elementary school bookfairs thank you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

homeless snail posted:

Its less that and more David Cage actually thinks that he came up with that idea

I...don't think that's true???

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I...don't think that's true???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Bombadilillo posted:

By laughing at cage's sledgehammer subtlety? Ok

I highly recommend checking out janelle monae's dirty computer where it's even less subtle. I honestly don't know anything about detroit human but I also don't know where the sentiment came from that messages about race sexuality etc need to be subtle to be poignant