Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Reverend Dr posted:

I still get pretty regular crashes in the steam version.

Going for 100%, get an artifact drop that can't be fished, game crashed.

It feels really bad because it just ruins the chill nature of the game.

there is a savegame editor on the nexus that you absolutely should use in these situations. just add it to your inventory. it's only fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Reverend Dr posted:

I play the game with like +10 mods running and haven't had a single crash since coming back to it. That said I'm not running the beta.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah Stardew even with mods has been one of the more stable games I’ve had in recent memory on PC.

Then again, it seems like these days things can be highly dependent on your PC. Some poo poo that’s crazy stable for my buddies crashes constantly for me and vice versa. Junimos in the code.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Reverend Dr posted:

Verify your game files? I'm running the beta with a couple of dozen mods and it hasn't crashed at all.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
playing multiplayer wasn't all that stable, the host crashed/DC'd about once every three in game days. There was one specific day that kept crashing at 7PM. We played that day like groundhog day until we all decided to give up and sleep at 6PM.

Single player has only crashed for me when the game updated and SMAPI didn't. Even then, running the beta without SMAPI worked just fine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've been doing a 4p multiplayer run and as host it has been rock solid stable for me. for clients, there's been a couple of things that you definitely avoid, like buying wallpaper, and once or twice there have been weird bugs with the disconnect - clint forgot that he was working a client's ax after he crashed, and i had to use a save editor to add it back. robin similarly forgot she was upgrading the same client's cabin, and i'm going to have to upgrade his house for him using the save editor as well.

there's still some stuff in the beta that makes it quite a beta, but if your host is comfortable using the save editor, everything can be fixed and everyone should still have a great time.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Coolguye posted:

i've been doing a 4p multiplayer run and as host it has been rock solid stable for me. for clients, there's been a couple of things that you definitely avoid, like buying wallpaper, and once or twice there have been weird bugs with the disconnect - clint forgot that he was working a client's ax after he crashed, and i had to use a save editor to add it back. robin similarly forgot she was upgrading the same client's cabin, and i'm going to have to upgrade his house for him using the save editor as well.

there's still some stuff in the beta that makes it quite a beta, but if your host is comfortable using the save editor, everything can be fixed and everyone should still have a great time.

I've been doing 3p multiplayer and have had a couple problems, few and far between but the game has crashed twice during the "file save" thing at the end of the day. Otherwise it's been pretty good, weird bugs aside!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just got into the game, always wanted to play Animal Crossing but never had the console to play it, and the phone version was only fun for about 2 hours.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

Just got into the game, always wanted to play Animal Crossing but never had the console to play it, and the phone version was only fun for about 2 hours.

You're in for a treat!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the best way to get a prismatic shard? You need one to make a wedding ring and I still haven't seen one after six and a half seasons.

Unrelated, I also saw a tree grow to full height while three of it's 8 adjacent tiles were taken up by a walkway. I thought trees wouldn't grow if you put a walkway around them?

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

LLSix posted:

What's the best way to get a prismatic shard? You need one to make a wedding ring and I still haven't seen one after six and a half seasons.

Unrelated, I also saw a tree grow to full height while three of it's 8 adjacent tiles were taken up by a walkway. I thought trees wouldn't grow if you put a walkway around them?

Omni geodes, or a monster drop if very lucky.

Fruit trees are the difficult ones, other trees grow even if there's walkway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LLSix posted:

drop a ton of bombs in the desert dungeon. volume, volume, volume!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mines got updated at some point for multiplayer, any chests you missed because they were opened by other people should be respawned for you now

museum and community center displays are still broken but this was probably the most annoying part so im glad

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

dmboogie posted:

mines got updated at some point for multiplayer, any chests you missed because they were opened by other people should be respawned for you now

museum and community center displays are still broken but this was probably the most annoying part so im glad

Noticed another annoying multiplayer thing while trying to double-team the skull caverns so that we're both on the same level. What spawns as stairs for one player can spawn as a hole for another, leading to one player going one floor down and the other 5-10 or whatever.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

LLSix posted:

Dive to ~100 floors in the skull cavern using stair items (pack like 10 stacks of stone from robin and you’ll be fine) and bring a shitload of bombs from the dwarf shop. Do it on a lucky day and eat +luck food. Once you’re down there just blow everything up. I got 3 shards in one trip recently.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been holding out until this patch is officially released, has there been anything said about that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been holding out until this patch is officially released, has there been anything said about that?

nothing official yet no

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

andrew smash posted:

Dive to ~100 floors in the skull cavern using stair items (pack like 10 stacks of stone from robin and you’ll be fine) and bring a shitload of bombs from the dwarf shop. Do it on a lucky day and eat +luck food. Once you’re down there just blow everything up. I got 3 shards in one trip recently.

Yeah and get the luck ring on too. Otherwise just buy omni geodes whenever you can.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

LLSix posted:

To be more specific than the other replies: prismatic shards have a decent chance of popping out of iridium ore nodes. You want to get deep into the skull cavern where iridium is more plentiful to improve your chances. You'll probably pick up a lot of omni geodes while you're at it, so might as well crack those open and hope for the best.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there any way to get rid of old fishing poles? I upgraded to the iridium fishing pole but Willy won't buy the old ones. Do I need them for anything or can I just put them in the sell box?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There are several things you can't sell or get rid of that I'd really like to (old fishing rods, slingshots, etc) so just make a chest in the mushroom cave or whatever, throw your useless poo poo in there, and forget about it

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Psion posted:

There are several things you can't sell or get rid of that I'd really like to (old fishing rods, slingshots, etc) so just make a chest in the mushroom cave or whatever, throw your useless poo poo in there, and forget about it

Or put it in front of an NPCs path, and they'll delete the chest and everything inside it for you.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
can't you just trash it?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can trash rods, but not slingshots

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
So happy to finally have multiplayer. Having two people to water or dungeon crawl really makes the game a bit easier. We said gently caress the community center and bought a Joja mart membership. Capitalism now!

I’m also a strange duck person. Pretty glad this game caters to us transducks in character creation.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 28, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Coolguye posted:

I lost connection and my pickaxe got forgotten as well. Strangely several days later it appeared by my bed I upgraded and the mayor left a note it was found in the lost and found. Of course my upgrade fee was lost.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Is anyone else still having problems with LAN only option for multiplayer? My GF is playing on her Mac and doesn't have the option to join by code, but when she logs into Steam on my Windows compy she can. It's been listed as fixed in the bug reports, and her Steam/game are both updated. Is there some kind of Mac setting I'm missing?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Hey one more multiplayer question. Let’s say I am a farmhand and have the botanist skill. Allegedly if you own the farm that means your pigs will dig up iridium truffles. Does this still apply if you’re the farm hand?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it applies if you're the cat who picks up the truffle. so if you're a farmhand and have the botanist skill it will only pull up iridium truffles, but if another farmhand or the host does not have botanist it's the usual crapshoot.

same deal with farming and everything else. if you let only one cat harvest they're going to get farming 10 pretty fast and you will see a lot of upgraded crop qualities, if everyone harvests you will have a generally lower XP harvesting and see more normals. until everyone maxes out, anyway.

same deal with the +money on shipping stuff too. it's determined when someone actually ships it. so someone can harvest everything and put it in a box, if the cat who ships it has tiller, you'll get your +10%. ditto with artisan.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

How the hell do you get hay out of the silo?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

a sexual elk posted:

You pull it out from the feed dispenser in the barn/coop

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am now the owner of a slime hutch, and it's got a dozen adorable green and blue slimes in it.

What do I do now?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

a sexual elk posted:

You can’t but you can pull hay from the dispensers in your coops / barns which takes it from the silo.

I haven’t done the math or anything, but how useful is crop quality really? I went all in on artisan goods and ship almost nothing that doesn’t get processed first so the crop quality seems pretty unimportant as it doesn’t usually impact the quality of the final product (milk -> cheese is i think the only exception). I generally go for deluxe speedgro if it will squeeze another harvest out of a valuable crop that needs to be replanted, like pumpkins or melons, and don’t bother with fertilizer if the plant has multiple harvests.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I normally process low-quality produce and ship the gold star+ stuff. Processing has less benefit for high quality things!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The margin is smaller but there’s still no reason to ship unprocessed goods unless you will need the money sooner than the processing would finish, especially if you’ve already sunk time and money into the necessary volume of processing machines and and space to house them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Coolguye posted:

it applies if you're the cat who picks up the truffle. so if you're a farmhand and have the botanist skill it will only pull up iridium truffles, but if another farmhand or the host does not have botanist it's the usual crapshoot.

same deal with farming and everything else. if you let only one cat harvest they're going to get farming 10 pretty fast and you will see a lot of upgraded crop qualities, if everyone harvests you will have a generally lower XP harvesting and see more normals. until everyone maxes out, anyway.

same deal with the +money on shipping stuff too. it's determined when someone actually ships it. so someone can harvest everything and put it in a box, if the cat who ships it has tiller, you'll get your +10%. ditto with artisan.

How does that work with Agriculturist (All crops grow 10% faster)?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

witchcore ricepunk posted:

I normally process low-quality produce and ship the gold star+ stuff. Processing has less benefit for high quality things!

Wait, the game doesn’t take into account crop quality when processing? I assumed from the wiki that the crop price multiplier took into account crop quality. All those gold pumpkins, gone forever. :(

Edit:
I’ve been processing ancient fruit into wine. The wiki says the longer you leave the wine in the keg the higher the quality. Is it more profitable to leave wine in kegs or just churn out as much cheap wine as possible?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Even worst case scenario (tiller perk, no artisan perk, gold pumpkins, preserves jar) you still made a margin of like 150g per pumpkin. That’s what I mean when I say crop quality doesn’t matter unless you need cash quickly.
Edit: the second part is wrong, wine is ready when the icon pops above the keg period. If you want to age wine you need to put it into a cask which is only available if you buy the basement house addition.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

GamingHyena posted:

Wait, the game doesn’t take into account crop quality when processing? I assumed from the wiki that the crop price multiplier took into account crop quality. All those gold pumpkins, gone forever. :(

The price of artisan goods is calculated on the base price of the original item regardless of quality. The only sort of exception to this is large milk and large eggs producing gold star cheese and gold star mayonnaise. This does mean there are cases where it's not worth turning a high quality crop or animal product into an artisan good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

GamingHyena posted:

I’ve been processing ancient fruit into wine. The wiki says the longer you leave the wine in the keg the higher the quality. Is it more profitable to leave wine in kegs or just churn out as much cheap wine as possible?

Depends on your definition of "profitable". Leaving it in the keg longer is inherently more profitable, as you're not actually spending any money by keeping it in there longer, just time. But if your definition of profitable is $/sec then it's probably better to churn out cheap wine.

But hey, once you get the final house upgrade, might as well use the kegs you have.