Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

lol gently caress off

It's completely routine to have weird/bad/joke candidates in civic elections, obviously this guy isn't going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's completely routine to have weird/bad/joke candidates in civic elections, obviously this guy isn't going to win.
In so many ridings I've seen each major party launch lousy candidates and thought, "This... this person is your best?"

Then I worked with local campaigns and learned that the "best" people usually want nothing to do with politics.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

melon cat posted:

Then I worked with local campaigns and learned that the "best" people usually want nothing to do with politics.

i just wanted to bbe a legislator

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Is there even a single ontariogoon in this thread who isn't voting NDP for this election

I’m spoiling my ballot cause there’s no way I’m voting for the NDP’s jail guard nominee that works in a prison that’s filled with almost entirely indigenous offenders and who posts on Facebook about beating people who’s opinion he disagrees with.

His explanation that “it’s just some corrections humour” just ain’t doing it for me

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Typical Goon posted:

I’m spoiling my ballot cause there’s no way I’m voting for the NDP’s jail guard nominee that works in a prison that’s filled with almost entirely indigenous offenders and who posts on Facebook about beating people who’s opinion he disagrees with.

His explanation that “it’s just some corrections humour” just ain’t doing it for me

This seems extremely hosed up and a total lack of vetting even for the NDP.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

This seems extremely hosed up and a total lack of vetting even for the NDP.

They declined a millennial that was seeking the nomination because he had an Instagram post where you could see his rear end crack

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/VoiceOfFranky/status/999683079240286209EKOS: NDP have ‘an impressive lead’

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

A Typical Goon posted:

vote communist

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah that’s pretty disgusting I would probably also cast a protest vote and write an angry letter to the party/RA

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

A Typical Goon posted:

What riding is this ? Are you far enough north it wont matter if you vote and will go ndp regardless?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

melon cat posted:

In so many ridings I've seen each major party launch lousy candidates and thought, "This... this person is your best?"

The "best" people in politics work in "Government Relations" and/or directly for the party organizations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

patonthebach posted:

What riding is this ? Are you far enough north it wont matter if you vote and will go ndp regardless?

The candidate is Glen Archer in Kenora-Rainey river which is a historically NDP riding but I think will end up being fairly competitive this election as it’s a lower income riding that has been trending conservative recently. The Cons are running a popular former MP so their polling must suggest that they think the riding is close this year. gently caress strategic voting though, if the NDP lose by 1 vote I’ll feel bad but that’s on them for running a garbage candidate

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/russianbot3001/status/999757381000024064

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

A Typical Goon posted:

The candidate is Glen Archer in Kenora-Rainey river which is a historically NDP riding but I think will end up being fairly competitive this election as it’s a lower income riding that has been trending conservative recently. The Cons are running a popular former MP so their polling must suggest that they think the riding is close this year. gently caress strategic voting though, if the NDP lose by 1 vote I’ll feel bad but that’s on them for running a garbage candidate

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4668844

Yeah that's an insanely inappropriate thing for a corrections officer to say.

Don't care about the bad memes. But posting poo poo like "I'll beat the opinion out of you" should disqualify you from you position in the ndp and should probably result into an investigation to your professionalism in your job as a c.o.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/jpags/status/999668612817448961

Lol. They could have rooted this poo poo out ages ago, but they didn't 'cause Douggie is a bully and they were afeared.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Looking forward to zero PC or Lib seats thanks to FPTP

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
lovely 538 says:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Helsing posted:

It would be really cool if Ford and Wynne both lost their seats in this election.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

lowly abject turd posted:

Absolutely anecdotal but there's a few fully committed OPC people at my church and they do absolutely hate Dougy and seriously consider him an existential threatand you know they hate Wynne. I think a lot of this is what's happening in the states obviously. While I do agree that most of the electorate doesn't give a poo poo about this kind of stuff and iti jt actually make him seem more masculine of alpha or whatever to >0% of the electorate. I do think it matters to a part of the conservative base. I know the church peeps were barely willing to hold their nose and vote PC because their local candidate is okay or whatever but this mightt actually keep some of them home come June 9 inshallah.

I'll be curious if it comes up on Sunday.

I met my first enthusiastic DOUG FORD supporter yesterday

60+ year old lady, says she supports him because he'll rein in government spending and "support family values"

says she's atheist but also whined a lot about RINOs in US congress and likes the freedom caucus "without the religious stuff"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Typo posted:

lovely 538 says:

Reminder: Last time out they predicted the most likely outcomes to be a Conservative majority, a Conservative minority, or a Liberal minority

Opinion polls are loving useless at projecting seat counts. No one is doing riding by riding polling in Ontario.

Eric "Not Silver" Genier could be using chicken gizzards and tea leaves for all the insight his bullshit provides.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 24, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Typo posted:

lovely 538 says:

Had an awesome convo with someone the other day who flatly dismissed a recent poll showing 72% of Americans age 15-34 disapprove of the president, because “polls always get stuff wrong, they said Hillary would win a landslide”... but then without any apparent trace of irony, boasted that CBC gives Fordnation a 90% chance of winning

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

THC posted:

Had an awesome convo with someone the other day who flatly dismissed a recent poll showing 72% of Americans age 15-34 disapprove of the president, because “polls always get stuff wrong, they said Hillary would win a landslide”... but then without any apparent trace of irony, boasted that CBC gives Fordnation a 90% chance of winning

FORD

*CLICK*

srsly though I do not think the person you talk to is aware that prediction models are based on polling

Typo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 24, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Typo posted:

I met my first enthusiastic DOUG FORD supporter yesterday

60+ year old lady, says she supports him because he'll rein in government spending and "support family values"

says she's atheist but also whined a lot about RINOs in US congress and likes the freedom caucus "without the religious stuff"

Are you sure she wasn’t a 20 year old male redditor?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

cowofwar posted:

Are you sure she wasn’t a 20 year old male redditor?

she also said "they'll have knives out for doug" if/when he wins the election "just like they did with trump"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The yellow line straight up is me looking at that poll

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This is fake, right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I am honestly afraid that if the anti-Doug faction rallies around the NDP this early, and then it's clear they're in winning territory, those same people will get complacent and not vote.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I can't do this.

This is too much. I'm trying to stay as neutral as possible. I really don't want to get my hopes up but I believe.

I loving hate people so much esp[ecially since when polls are low it's "why bother it's not like the NDP can win?" and then when polls are high "oh good i can stay home and not vote cause they're gonna win anyway"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

PittTheElder posted:

I am honestly afraid that if the anti-Doug faction rallies around the NDP this early, and then it's clear they're in winning territory, those same people will get complacent and not vote.

Yes. Yes!!! It's always constant loving anxiety because people are so loving stupid holy poo poo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
there's pretty limited polling data in Ontario and polling firms probably aren't that great at a determining turnout in a provincial race

NDP is gaining, I just don't have too much faith in the polls, especially when you are looking at what 3-4 of them? MoE could easily be 5%+ on avg

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really don’t believe that complacent people not showing up is enough of a thing to result in the kind of numbers that would make a difference.

e: people not showing up is a huge thing. I just don’t think complacency is to blame.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Wasn't a lot of the Democratic base in the States admitting they didn't bother to vote because they figured Hillary was going to win? (along with pretty much the entire world)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sure, they can blame their loss on that.

American turnout numbers were pretty par for the course in 2016.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

patonthebach posted:

Is there even a single ontariogoon in this thread who isn't voting NDP for this election

Hello

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hillary was the front runner from the beginning while Horwarh has come up from behind

Hillary is also abject garbage so there’s that

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I mean it is pretty amazing that it took Doug Ford to get Ontarians to finally forget about Bob Rae, so hopefully the ONDP are gearing up for a good GOTV effort

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just... 2 weeks to go. 2 weeks. Hoo boy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Typo posted:

there's pretty limited polling data in Ontario and polling firms probably aren't that great at a determining turnout in a provincial race

NDP is gaining, I just don't have too much faith in the polls, especially when you are looking at what 3-4 of them? MoE could easily be 5%+ on avg

The polls as a general bellwether of voter sentiment are probably accurate, it's just that information cannot be used to make seat projections with any degree of accuracy. It's not really the pollsters that are the problem so much as charlatans claiming to know anything more than which way the wind is blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

Hillary was the front runner from the beginning while Horwarh has come up from behind

Hillary is also abject garbage so there’s that

Horwath has been abject garbage for longer than most of you have known her name

xtal fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 25, 2018