Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

kidkissinger posted:

Let's take a character whose primary appeal is being mysterious and enigmatic and make a movie filling in every detail of his life!

Didn't AotC kinda already do that with Jango, what with Boba being a literal clone of him?

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

What're the odds of Boba saying that as well at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I have absolutely zero interest in a Fett movie and was glad when Josh Trank got booted from it because then he could do something else.

He'll wind up casting Jackman as Boba Fett and the Internet will lose its poo poo when he takes his helmet off because it's destroyed the intrigue of one of Star Wars' "most memorable and mysterious characters" or whatever the gently caress.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If they do a Fett movie I hope they bring back Temuera to voice (straight up play?) him.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A huge jacked man couldn't possibly be crammed into that armor. I'm just saying the facts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw Solo and it was fine, whatever. But yeah I don’t get how the timeline works with Darth Maul. Is it just “yeah he got better deal with it”? Haven’t read any comic stuff or seen anything outside of movies so don’t know if any new canon fills it in

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

I saw Solo and it was fine, whatever. But yeah I don’t get how the timeline works with Darth Maul. Is it just “yeah he got better deal with it”? Haven’t read any comic stuff or seen anything outside of movies so don’t know if any new canon fills it in

It's Darth Maul's brother.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sassassin posted:

Darth Lawl.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

His survival post-The Phantom Menace was established in Clone Wars, and he ends up having several appearances in that show as well as Rebels, before ultimately dying in a rematch with Obi-Wan only a little bit before A New Hope.

And yeah; he becomes a crime lord as part of a plan to get revenge on Palpatine for leaving him to die/treating him as disposable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Darth Paul.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

Wait; does Savage show up too somehow?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

jivjov posted:

Wait; does Savage show up too somehow?

no, official star wars canon character savage oppress does not appear in the film

i don't even know if sassassin knew he existed, i think he was just making a joke

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Mods No Masters posted:

Put CGI count dooku in it for 30 seconds imo

this is canon lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HeatfqGPNI

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

no, official star wars canon character savage oppress does not appear in the film

i don't even know if sassassin knew he existed, i think he was just making a joke

I did know he existed and would have used his name had I remembered it.

The Darth Maul hologram looks off because it's Savage Oppress in disguise. Trust me my uncle's in the story group.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfIYEvH07Ns

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol I love how Lucasfilm don’t care at all about confusing anyone who doesn’t keep up with a long-running CGI cartoon show

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

nurabsal posted:

Mangold is a perfect choice if the film is a reskinned 3:10 Yuma and Boba Fett is not the main character.

Right now you have Infinity Wars and Solo released close to each other. Which one is the success and will be the blueprint for Disney's decision making from now on? If Solo bombs every Star Wars movie from now on will be joke filled movies about saving planets from planet killers. Solo is as close as you will get to a genre movie set in the Star Wars universe. It's not a perfect movie, or even a great movie, but I think it's the right direction.

It blows my mind the budget for Solo was $250 million. Revenge of the Sith was $113 million. Christ, TLJ was less then Solo. RIP "low stakes" movies in the SW universe.

EDIT: Oh gently caress! LOL, the Boba Fett movie is actually confirmed. loving idiot.

Wank fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 25, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

lol I love how Lucasfilm don’t care at all about confusing anyone who doesn’t keep up with a long-running CGI cartoon show

If anything, maul's appearance in Solo might get some people to check out Clone Wars and Rebels

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wank posted:

It blows my mind the budget for Solo was $250 million. Revenge of the Sith was $113 million.

Revenge of the Sith didn't have ~70 percent of the movie re-shot after being essentially completed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we all agree this script was really meh and Lord/Miller’s movie was almost certainly better? Like the best parts of this movie are when it stops trying to be badass space Western and starts loving around anyways.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thrawn527 posted:

To be fair, if the EU didn't exist, Maul coming back would be the standard, "Whaaaa? I thought he was dead!" twist that can happen in movies and shows and comic books all the time. It's that old rule of, "If you don't see a body, he's not dead." You saw him with his lower torso cut off and falling, but who cares? This is Star Wars where they seem to be able to heal anything. Point is he's alive. That the cartoon shows have already covered how he came back kinda doesn't matter. What matters is what they do with him now.

In 1999 George Lucas posted:

At one point, when Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, he just fell in the pit. I looked at it and thought this isn't going to work because, if people like him enough, they're going to want him to come back and they're going to assume somehow he gets out of it. So I had to cut him in half to say that this guy's gone, he's history, he ain't coming back.

Also there's no reason to believe Maul died in Rebels. After all, he survived being cut in half and falling down a huge pit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Movie was kinda fun? I was expecting more western and less fan service but gently caress it if you’re going the fan service route then go all out and bring Darth loving Maul is definitely the way to go. I recognized the voice immediately (and the robo legs) so that was fun.

Lando movie loving robots across the galaxy when???

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wank posted:

Right now you have Infinity Wars and Solo released close to each other. Which one is the success and will be the blueprint for Disney's decision making from now on? If Solo bombs every Star Wars movie from now on will be joke filled movies about saving planets from planet killers. Solo is as close as you will get to a genre movie set in the Star Wars universe. It's not a perfect movie, or even a great movie, but I think it's the right direction.

It blows my mind the budget for Solo was $250 million. Revenge of the Sith was $113 million. Christ, TLJ was less then Solo. RIP "low stakes" movies in the SW universe.

EDIT: Oh gently caress! LOL, the Boba Fett movie is actually confirmed. loving idiot.

Marvel's been trying to do variably scaled films for a while now. Maybe Rocket Raccoon is saving the universe, maybe Spider-Man is preventing a guy with a jetpack from stealing weapons tech to sell on the black market. I mean, every Marvel film so far can be reduced to "PG-13 family film with a blend of action and comedy", but there's at least an attempt to make them look and feel different.

Meanwhile, Solo has the exact same color palette as Rogue 1.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

Didn't AotC kinda already do that with Jango, what with Boba being a literal clone of him?

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

What're the odds of Boba saying that as well at some point?

Muppet baby boba was terrible too

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

pospysyl posted:

Is it weird how the two spin-off movies go to great lengths to depict the war between the Rebellion and the Empire as all-encompassing, impacting every planet in the galaxy, when the main sequel trilogy doesn't depict their war that way at all?

Nobody in Solo seems too invested or affected by it

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Was this movie necessary? Nah. I feel like I got my money's worth, though, so fine by me.

Parts I liked:
- Oh my god Don Glover does it again. His Lando is soooo good, you can tell he studied up a lot. Not only that, I thoroughly enjoyed him as a character, not just as an impersonation.
- I try to reject blatant fan service, but I laughed at the joke about Lando mispronouncing "Han"
- The comic relief droid was great again. Her scene with Dany was hilarious.
- After over 35 years, Warwick Davis finally got a speaking role in a Star Wars film! Yaay!
- The Kessel Run sequence was good overall.

Parts I didn't like:
- My overall expectations were low to begin with because I wasn't excited about learning more about Han Solo, and I feel like that hasn't changed.
- Darth Maul? Really? I mean, it was a nice WTF surprise but eh

Also, of all things in the world Teras Kasi (the fighting art from that weird PS1 fighting game) is now canon?!? Whaaaa?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A goddamn Teräs Käsi reference out of nowhere.

And a Bossk shoutout!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maybe it’s because my expectations were low as they could be but I actually thought that was pretty decent. Nothing special but I was entertained. I expected more groan worth “remember this” references.

I feel like I definitely need to read up on why Darth Maul was in the movie though. I did not understand that part at all and I’m guessing it’s tied to The Clone Wars and Rebels shows?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 25, 2018

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hell yeah Bossk.

Can't wait for Dengar: a Story Wars story.

Get Dengar integrated, fools.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like I definitely need to read up on why Darth Maul was in the movie though. I did not understand that part at all and I’m guessing it’s tied to The Clone Wars and Rebels shows?

Him being alive is from The Clone Wars, but that's really it. The movie insinuates he's a crime lord now and as far as I can recall that's never mentioned in either show. His role in Rebels is as a dark mentor for the main character, and in Clone Wars he kept showing up to cause problems for Obi-Wan (and then he tries to gently caress with the Emperor and gets his rear end handed to him)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 25, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe this is a bit pedantic, but it's a ridiculously lazy convenience that in an infinitely large galaxy Han just randomly happens to run into Qui'ra right before he's about to go look for her.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yup. They made a decent plot out of it too, if you ignore things like the obvious retcon and the worst named character in the franchise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

General Dog posted:

Maybe this is a bit pedantic, but it's a ridiculously lazy convenience that in an infinitely large galaxy Han just randomly happens to run into Qui'ra right before he's about to go look for her.

Yeah, that was easily the dumbest aspect of the movie.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yup. They made a decent plot out of it too, if you ignore things like the obvious retcon and the worst named character in the franchise.

Are those shows good?

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

General Dog posted:

Well, he's been "about to go look for her" for three years at that point. He just never has the money for a ship and there was no guarantee he would have had it at this point either. We're just seeing this particular moment because it is the time he happened to run into her. If they hadn't ran into each other there, Han and Becket were more likely to have gotten killed than end up with any money.

Hansen85 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 25, 2018

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

General Dog posted:

That's just Star Wars. Huge galaxy and everybody fuckin knows everybody.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, that was easily the dumbest aspect of the movie.

Are those shows good?

I don't know if this is the mainstream take, but Clone Wars (past the first season and a half or so) is very good and Rebels is mostly garbage except when it's resolving leftover plot from Clone Wars.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hansen85 posted:

Well, he's been "about to go look for her" for three years at that point. He just never has the money for a ship and there was no guarantee he would have had it at this point either. We're just seeing this particular moment because it is the time he happened to run into her. If they hadn't ran into each other there, Han and Becket were more likely to have gotten killed than end up with any money.

The fact that he would run into her by chance at any point in his life is insane coincidence, even for the relatively close-knit Star Wars universe.

I mean, take 90 seconds to establish some intentionality behind them both ending up in the same ship on the same planet at the same time. It can't be that hard.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 25, 2018

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
This movie was mediocre to high heaven and Darth Maul showing up made me groan out loud and might have been the worst bit of fan service in all the new films

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

General Dog posted:

The fact that he would run into her by chance at any point in his life is insane coincidence, even for the relatively close-knit Star Wars universe.

Something something the Force something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

This movie was mediocre to high heaven and Darth Maul showing up made me groan out loud and might have been the worst bit of fan service in all the new films

It's so out of left field that it crosses into being good fan service. The worst fan service is poo poo like "I have a good feeling about this" and Lando's RotJ disguise and Han's dice and Han's blaster and everybody harping about parsecs

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

General Dog posted:

It's so out of left field that it crosses into being good fan service. The worst fan service is poo poo like "I have a good feeling about this" and Lando's RotJ disguise and Han's dice and Han's blaster and everybody harping about parsecs

Oh yeah, Lando's ROTJ disguise being used by Woody Harrelson is actively embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I really did enjoy the bit where they upload L-3 to the Falcon, because in all likelihood you would only realize that's meant to reference or explain C-3PO complaining about the Falcon's "most peculiar dialect" when you rewatch ESB and hear that line. I admit, I went "awwww :h:" when I figured it out, and only because it was one of those weird unexplained eccentricities that stuck out to me from the OT that not only does the Falcon have a consciousness but she's also kind of a weirdo.