Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackmet posted:

Ding ding ding.

I do love the food there.

drat, that’s a coincidence. I’m going to have to try to swing it next time my department goes there. I love Indian food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Warheart525 posted:

Renaming a boat is bad luck. I bet they didn’t even perform the requisite rechristening ceremony. Bad With Money and Bad With Seafaring.

Also, I can’t imagine that 5 adults and 3 dogs on a 36 foot boat in tropical heat will be comfortable for any extended length of time.

Re: boatchat, even celebrities get real stupid about boats. See: indie artist/Elon Musk dater Grimes, who in the most Montreal hipster thing ever, lived on a houseboat in Minnesota until it got seized by the popo.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Crypto Gains and Business Write Off's

quote:

TLDR: Made 75k trading crypto in 2018 and want to know if I can write off the gains with business expenses.

In 2014-2016, I invested about 17k total into crypto and over that two year period traded it (gambled) it up and down and eventually came out with 0 (more to that described below). I was totally out of crypto in 2016 through the end of 2017. I am located in the United States.

I invested a small sum of about 800usd into something called angelshares which after about a year decided those who invested would be paid out a dividend every day for 200days until the total vested balance was paid out. You could claim the dividend daily or just let it sit and claim at the end which was sometime in 2016. The angelshares investors would be paid out in bitshares. By that point I had stopped paying attention to and forgot about the vesting balance completely.

During the crypto craze of late 2017, I thought to myself "whatever ended up happening with Angelshares" so after hours and hours of research I was able to find a document that explained what your Angelshares balance became. After lots of technical runarounds, I was completely unable to retrieve those balances without the help of someone who worked for bitshares briefly and they charged a 10% fee on all retrieved balances. After spending about an hour and a half with them the balance that he was able to retrieve was about 88k bitshares and I was sent 75k or so of that balance after the 10% fee. 75k bitshares was equal to about 12k usd. Insane!!! 12k in bitshares plus some other balances I found became a total of about 15k usd in crypto.

At this point I felt as if this was play money and I sold the bitshares and bought some ethereum with it at 300. Over the beginning of 2018 I was able to trade it to 75k usd.

I have always filed as a sole proprietor and I work for myself freelance and I am able to write off business expenses. My question for personal finance is whether or not my capital gains can be written off if I spend the gains on business expenses in 2018. For example, if I were to spend the entire 75k on business expenses (new car used for work only, new equipment for said business, etc.) would I still pay capital gains tax? Just looking for clarification as I don't think this has been covered. The initial investment would be subtracted from that 75k so I would be paying capital gains tax on 57k-60k of the 75k. Also, 75k exceeds my yearly income from the business (about 40k) and I am married. I can clarify anything for those who can help.

Thank you.

Edit: Also I want to pay off a student loan I've had over my head for years and will be able to do so with this money.

Making “money” in crypto and then loving up your taxes really badly will never not be funny

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cacafuego posted:

Crypto Gains and Business Write Off's

Making “money” in crypto and then loving up your taxes really badly will never not be funny
Seriously. How he talks about business write offs makes me wonder about past, uh, variances in application. I hope he finds a good tax CPA.. Or :zaurg:s it good and posts the story for us.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
You just got $75,000 in free money. Would it kill you to spend $300 on a CPA who can help you avoid prison for tax fraud?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm not a criminal, but it's tempting to get a bunch of sovereign citizen materials together, edit it to remove the blatant racism and add references to crypto, and sell it to these people as a "Bitcoin tax hacks package."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Konstantin posted:

edit it to remove the blatant racism

found the step you could skip

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Now you're talking. The problem with current crypto is that anyone can buy, we need to restrict the market so that only true, trustworthy patriots can invest and thus be counted on to hodl when absolutely necessary. Introducing, Aryancoin. Consult this handy chart for eligibility. Also the blockchain will record your purity percentage.

Apologies if this is too on-the-nose, it is a satirical post but sadly I am sure that there are bitcoiners that would be on board for a similar scheme.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Given the overlap between libertarians and fascists, seems okay to me.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Atma McCuddles posted:

Re: boatchat, even celebrities get real stupid about boats. See: indie artist/Elon Musk dater Grimes, who in the most Montreal hipster thing ever, lived on a houseboat in Minnesota until it got seized by the popo.

This is the best thing ever, thanks for the link. Love me some Grimes.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Asimov posted:

Now you're talking. The problem with current crypto is that anyone can buy, we need to restrict the market so that only true, trustworthy patriots can invest and thus be counted on to hodl when absolutely necessary. Introducing, Aryancoin. Consult this handy chart for eligibility. Also the blockchain will record your purity percentage.

Apologies if this is too on-the-nose, it is a satirical post but sadly I am sure that there are bitcoiners that would be on board for a similar scheme.

It's been a while since I followed bitcoin but I remember there being an altcoin like this. I cant remember what it was called but the idea was that only trustworthy people could buy it and that people could tell if you where trustworthy from a picture if they where the same race as you. Also there are only three races; Caucasoids, Negroids and mongoloids.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of my co-workers just applied to become redesignated as "Casual/Seasonal" instead of full-time. That means you lose your government benefits, but keep your terrible government salary and can work less than 20 hours per week (at a reduced salary commensurate with time worked.)

Why?

Because she took out a loan to go to a 100% online law school and doesn't want to end up "wasting the money" because she has to focus on work.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
So to avoid the risk of losing whatever she paid to some scammy diploma mill, she guarantees a loss of about half her income by going down to 20 hours a week.

Is this online law school also incredibly expensive? I can't tell whether she is trading a potential small loss for a guaranteed large loss, or whether she is investing a small fortune in a useless degree. I need to know precisely how idiotic this is, drat it!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Atma McCuddles posted:

So Grimes is that goon who posted the house boat thread a few years back?

Makes sense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Enchanted Hat posted:

So to avoid the risk of losing whatever she paid to some scammy diploma mill, she guarantees a loss of about half her income by going down to 20 hours a week.

Is this online law school also incredibly expensive? I can't tell whether she is trading a potential small loss for a guaranteed large loss, or whether she is investing a small fortune in a useless degree. I need to know precisely how idiotic this is, drat it!

I have no idea how much it costs, but she took out a loan for it and that is the reason she is giving for redesignation.

Plus, how can an online law school not be BWM? I didn't even know you could do law school online-only. Can you do online-only med school?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the practical aspects of medicine are harder to deliver online than for law.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had a coworker that got an online law degree. I think he did okay with it though, he was already quite a legal eagle when it came to contract law.

In his case, he didn't step down to working part time. He just worked full time while working on the degree at the same time. He was also a shop steward and very active in the union (the nature of his expertise being really useful for contract negotiation. He also had some sketchy consulting job for local medical marijuana dispensaries. The guy must've worked 100 hours a week doing various things, and as a result got burnt out pretty quick.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Yes, there are online medical schools. They're usually based out of the Caribbean, which is the traditional destination for kids who can't get into a US med school, won't give up on their [parents'] dreams of becoming a doctor, and have six figures of money to burn at a for-profit school that probably won't get them into the very limited pool of foreign medical residents.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I have a bad feeling online law programs aren't accredited by the American Bar Association or most state bars. Meaning you can get a law degree but can't actually practice law in most places. (There are a couple of states that basically say "Look, if you pass the bar exam and you're not a convicted felon, go be a lawyer or whatever.")

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Macaroni posted:

(There are a couple of states that basically say "Look, if you pass the bar exam and you're not a convicted felon, go be a lawyer or whatever.")

And to be fair there’s a lot of law what needs doin’ in California.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Macaroni posted:

I have a bad feeling online law programs aren't accredited by the American Bar Association or most state bars. Meaning you can get a law degree but can't actually practice law in most places. (There are a couple of states that basically say "Look, if you pass the bar exam and you're not a convicted felon, go be a lawyer or whatever.")
Also the field is still oversaturated, as far as I know. Not impossible to find a job, but a bad enough bet that you probably shouldn't take an online law course while slashing your income and benefits.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Subjunctive posted:

And to be fair there’s a lot of law what needs doin’ in California.

It's always struck me as uncharacteristically laissez faire of them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's always struck me as uncharacteristically laissez faire of them.

California has a notoriously difficult bar exam tho.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Panfilo posted:

He also had some sketchy consulting job for local medical marijuana dispensaries. The guy must've worked 100 hours a week doing various things, and as a result got burnt out pretty quick.

Those after school specials were right - another burnout brought to you by messing with dope.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Plus, how can an online law school not be BWM? I didn't even know you could do law school online-only. Can you do online-only med school?

Subjunctive posted:

I think the practical aspects of medicine are harder to deliver online than for law.

I played trauma center one AND two for Nintendo DS enough that I can transect your aorta with confidence in 46 states!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My ex has a car with an APR of 24.97% and refinancing costs like 3k. Not sure what to do.

quote:

So some hard numbers, but first, it's a Nissan leaf 2015 through Exeter.

She's made 11 payments of 426.63 a month. (4692.93)

The original amount financed is 15,687.80.

After 11 payments the amount remaining is 14,188.73.

The maturity date is 6/16/2023.

Her bank can help her refinance (Which I'm not sure what that all entails) but (last we heard) that would cost 3k.

Is there anything more that can be done to fix this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

For those of you who don't scroll to the bottom, what are the odds a co-signature is currently or about to be in the works?

quote:

Don't use that bank. Shop around. Look at credit unions. Financing a car usually costs a couple hundred dollars, not $3000. Also, why is this your problem? She's an ex.

OP posted:

Still a close friend and we help each other when we can.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

all med school is basically online these days. lectures and lab intros are recorded and available online but most of the med students i know just watch instructional videos on youtube. the hard thing about online medical school would be getting internships and rotation spots

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
There is no medical school awarding the MD or DO degrees that is fully online accredited by any State Board of Medicine in the United States, the AAMC, or the ECFMG. Lots of schools record or stream their lectures for the convenience of students but there is no way to complete medical school without a large amount of in person, in laboratory, and clinical contact. There will not be completely online medical school at any point in the near future. You cannot practice medicine in the United States with such a degree, if it is offered anywhere in the world.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

all med school is basically online these days. lectures and lab intros are recorded and available online but most of the med students i know just watch instructional videos on youtube. the hard thing about online medical school would be getting internships and rotation spots

Introductory level classroom lectures for preclinical students are often recorded and streamed but it is completely untrue to say that all med school is basically online. If you did not attend you probably do not have any valid basis to make such a statement.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

There is no medical school awarding the MD or DO degrees that is fully online accredited by any State Board of Medicine in the United States, the AAMC, or the ECFMG. Lots of schools record or stream their lectures for the convenience of students but there is no way to complete medical school without a large amount of in person, in laboratory, and clinical contact. There will not be completely online medical school at any point in the near future. You cannot practice medicine in the United States with such a degree, if it is offered anywhere in the world.

What I’m hearing you say is that there’s a niche market that is underserved here.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Higgy posted:

What I’m hearing you say is that there’s a niche market that is underserved here.

We need more Dr. Nicks.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Higgy posted:

What if we put the medical schools on a blockchain? And then put that blockchain on another blockchain?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Weatherman posted:

What if we put the medical schools on a blockchain? And then put that blockchain on another blockchain?

Who do I make the check out to?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Lowness 72 posted:

Who do I make the check out to?

Send it to me and I'll make sure it goes on to the right party. Make the check out to Crypto Academy Services for Health (you can just abbreviate it to CASH to make it easier on yourself).

Edit: Yes, I adapted this joke from 30 Rock

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Introductory level classroom lectures for preclinical students are often recorded and streamed but it is completely untrue to say that all med school is basically online. If you did not attend you probably do not have any valid basis to make such a statement.

my partner completed med school at ut mcgovern in the few years and she stepped foot on campus like five times outside of her anatomy labs (which were optional)

i'm not saying you can do rotations online, but there's no reason a med school needs a campus or classrooms

edit: changed my mind. a bunch of specialities could prob do their rotations online. telemedicine is pretty huge for psych and radiology and prob some other specialities

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 25, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah and with psychiatry, dermatology, and radiology covered, you've pretty much got all of medicine.

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
You could do most of the first two years of medical school online, but schools require physical exam classes, anatomy lab, and mini clinic rotations that obviously require in-person attendance. After that, the second two years require 60-100 hours a week in person getting various degrees of abused. Though online seems to be good at the abuse thing, so maybe that can be changed?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the talent deficit posted:

my partner completed med school at ut mcgovern in the few years and she stepped foot on campus like five times...
So, basically even if by your very broad definition of online med school, your claim is not true then. I assume that if these 5 times were strictly to handle admission / graduation paperwork, you would mention this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Weatherman posted:

CFA coworker was telling me how he doesn't really see a difference between LIBOR, SOFR, and a crypto rate index. Thank god the actuaries decide what we trade on... (This is the only finance professional I work with who thinks crypto is a good idea... At least openly...)