Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe "Han Solo origin movie" was something Lucas asked Kasdan to draft a screenplay for years before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney.

Not a few years, but a few months before the purchase. And from what I understand from interviews with his son, Kasdan essentially handed over writing the script to his son once Kasdan Sr. got asked to re-rewrite the TFA script.

Back in 2008, I remember some interview where Lucas had considered doing an old Han Solo movie instead of Indy 4, but I assume Ford probably put a halt to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Erotic Wakes posted:

Television is getting a show about Alfred Pennyworth's adventures before working for the Waynes.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh good, I hope it's the oafish private eye Alfred or the dour legacy footman Alfred, since the awesome SAS pugilist Alfred from Gotham is too good to sully with a lovely show where he would inevitably run into even younger versions of Batman villains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WhJyyTtqo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ah, but what if you came up with an entirely original structure for your story?

Then the criticism simply becomes that your film is 'plotless/just a bunch of things that happen but don't go anywhere/isn't developed properly/doesn't establish character/whatever.'

We know that we get tired of convention, but we also desire convention as an essential means of identifying with and investing in the symbolic order of a film. But instead of accepting this inherent contradiction and focusing on criticizing specific aspects of form and narrative, we blame mediocrity on filmmakers being lazy/out of touch, vaguely hand-waving at some other kind of better condition we could have if certain superficial memes were followed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, I guess I'm watching Teen Titans GO! now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why has Marvel managed to have 20 movies out in 10 years without an obvious lapse in interest when Star Wars has had four movies out in as many years (which, whether you mean it positively or negatively, are probably of about comparable quality to the Marvel movies) and it's the one that has people hemming and hawing about over-saturation? :confused:

Interesting question. Personally, I think that Marvel movies allow more of a varied landscape and genre mix than grim space opera, which has been the consistent tone prevalent in the modern Star Wars canon.

Kennedy also seems more hands on regarding directors/writers (the clusterfuck in Solo, Abrams stepping in for Treverrow in IX) than Feige has been other than on Iron Man 2 and Ant-Man, the first possibly an artifact of the Perlmutter era, the second which doomed the movie but hasn't been repeated since. Having the same handful of folks writing all the movies doesn't exactly help either, Kasdan is great but he's also old and set in his ways as hell.

The Star War movies have also been more of a drag than the Marvel movies. Muted, both in tones and substance, purposefully challenging and disappointing its core audience.

And lastly the Star War movies probably have never gotten as close to hitting all the demographic quotients as the Marvel movies have done. They've just not been as widely popular, no matter how much the mania regarding it in the late 90s made it seem.

Force Awakens is one of the most popular movies of all time. But I'd love to see how that population of movie goers end up with men v. women, whites v. minorities, etc.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Then the criticism simply becomes that your film is 'plotless/just a bunch of things that happen but don't go anywhere/isn't developed properly/doesn't establish character/whatever.'

We know that we get tired of convention, but we also desire convention as an essential means of identifying with and investing in the symbolic order of a film. But instead of accepting this inherent contradiction and focusing on criticizing specific aspects of form and narrative, we blame mediocrity on filmmakers being lazy/out of touch, vaguely hand-waving at some other kind of better condition we could have if certain superficial memes were followed.

On a scale of 1-10 how badly do you wanna use the word dialetic?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Shageletic posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how badly do you wanna use the word dialetic?

Probably 0 because the word is dialectic

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Probably 0 because the word is dialectic

kinda proud of that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Oh good, I hope it's the oafish private eye Alfred or the dour legacy footman Alfred, since the awesome SAS pugilist Alfred from Gotham is too good to sully with a lovely show where he would inevitably run into even younger versions of Batman villains.

Instead have him fight old-school villains, like The Mist or any other Star Man/Sandman/JSA bad guy.

Edit: The Gentleman Ghost! Etrigan!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

That movie sucked for a lot of reasons, I'm pretty sure that the characters being "too different" is really low on the scale things

EDIT:
FFS, I fell for a SMG post

He's right for once though, Genisys was good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

teen titans go to the movies is going to be the best superhero movie of 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

teen titans go to the movies is going to be the best superhero movie of 2018

It'll be either that or Incredibles 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/999780708913688576

:regd08:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

We really are going to get a new goddamn Star War every year until the heat death of the universe.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can’t do it anymore. I have lost the capacity to Star Wars.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure that literally happened in ROTJ.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well, at least they got somebody good. The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy from the 90s is goofy as gently caress, they should take a lot of inspiration from that.

Lizard Dance

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pirate Jet posted:

I can’t do it anymore. I have lost the capacity to Star Wars.

Would you say that you are just so tired, of all these star wars?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
For gently caress's sake. Maybe it's just that I'm 31, but I cannot care about any more Star Wars movies. TLJ was the first one I didn't get around to watching in the cinema, but I have a feeling it won't be the last.

When they first announced the new ones, I was hoping they'd do something completely different, honouring the pulp origins of Star Wars and just doing something completely new, like fighting a crime empire or some new enemy that's alien even to this universe. Instead they're heading into territory where they're just remixing, inverting and commenting on the original films, but doing it worse than LOGH did back in the 80s.

gently caress, LOGH is so good. It starts from 'what if the war between the Galactic Empire and Rebel Alliance calcified for 400 years?' and is just loving fantastic. It is what Game of Thrones fans insist Game of Thrones is.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

TTG is great because of its contempt for its peers, fans, and the entire concept of superheroes and cartoons in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kX16v-jdOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk5kIKKtdZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFgs18qh1Yg

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Okay is it nostalgia or did the DC cartoons of the late 90s/early 00's pull off a shared universe really well and actually we're fun shows to watch while Marvel's were hit or miss and all over the place?

And how did they just do so very bad at recreating that for movies?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's really weird to me because the original trilogy are still my all-time favorite movies and I legitimately loved The Force Awakens and Rogue One, but just within the last 6 or 7 months (ever since I saw The Last Jedi the first time), any enthusiasm I had for Star Wars died. I'm not excited to see what happens in Episode 9, I'm not excited to see Solo, I'm not excited for a standalone Boba Fett movie, I'm not excited to play any future Battlefront games, etc.

I genuinely thought the property was in good hands with Disney because those first couple years seemed so strong, but now it's like all that positive momentum they'd built up around the Star Wars name (which hadn't had it for a while because of the prequels and Special Editions and all that poo poo) is gone.

I wish they'd just bury it again because it feels like they've been reanimating a corpse over and over again but not keeping its soul intact, but I suppose it makes them far too much money to quit while they're behind.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This will only be good if they went with the attached casting of Michael B. Jordan (announced a couple of years ago, before he blew up) and it's a Dread Pirate Roberts scenario where Jordan finds Fett's armor and becomes Boba Fett (also rumored to be the script).

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Len posted:

Okay is it nostalgia or did the DC cartoons of the late 90s/early 00's pull off a shared universe really well and actually we're fun shows to watch while Marvel's were hit or miss and all over the place?

And how did they just do so very bad at recreating that for movies?

they didn't fire Bruce Timm and Paul Dini in the middle of production

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I have to admit a lot of the entertainment I get from the current star wars movies is jaded old nerds falling over themselves on the internet to constantly post about how over star wars they are.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Young Freud posted:

This will only be good if they went with the attached casting of Michael B. Jordan (announced a couple of years ago, before he blew up) and it's a Dread Pirate Roberts scenario where Jordan finds Fett's armor and becomes Boba Fett (also rumored to be the script).

The wailing and gnashing of teeth from nerds would be worth it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Finally, a story exploring the origins of the galaxy’s greatest bounty hunter who was killed by a monster sand vagina when a blind man accidentally booped his backpack.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
boba fett sucks like most star wars characters

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Low Desert Punk posted:

boba fett sucks like most star wars characters

yes but you see in the extended universe

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fart City posted:

Finally, a story exploring the origins of the galaxy’s greatest bounty hunter who was killed by a monster sand vagina when a blind man accidentally booped his backpack.

I can't imagine what possible could have shaped him into becoming the bad-rear end that he was, but it most have been rad as all hell!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol we literally have an origin story for him.

It wasn’t good but that hasn’t stopped Disney before

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol we literally have an origin story for him.

It wasn’t good but that hasn’t stopped Disney before

That tweet doesnt call it an origin story and theres a lot of time between ep 2 and ep 6 they can have him be a bounty hunter during.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Len posted:

That tweet doesnt call it an origin story and theres a lot of time between ep 2 and ep 6 they can have him be a bounty hunter during.

Lol if you don’t think he will get his suit or something over the movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol if you don’t think he will get his suit or something over the movie

Isn't that Jango's suit? He's already wearing Mandalorian armor when he was bounty hunting with Bossk and Aurra Sing before Episode 3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

Isn't that Jango's suit? He's already wearing Mandalorian armor when he was bounty hunting with Bossk and Aurra Sing before Episode 3.

I mean i would assume he got the armor right after he took his dead fathers body out of it. But this is the new universe so who knows.

But lol this movie thats nothing more than a tweet is already poo poo and bad
:goonsay:

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Fart City posted:

That's exactly why Boba Fett was great. He was basically the original trilogy's version of Luke punking Rey at the beginning of The Last Jedi after an entire movie of buildup to that moment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The MSJ posted:

It doesn’t happen on screen so there is wiggle room

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope it's a low stakes story about a bounty hunter hunting some bounties.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
give me my Bossk movie filmed entirely in untranslated Trandoshan or gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Aurra Sing
Wait who

I think the only reason I know who Bossk is is because he was in some Star Wars video game. I don't even remember which one.

I know he's in Empire and Return of the Jedi, but he isn't mentioned by name in those movies, is he?