Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I thought I hated blitzball after the first game in Luca, but then I actually kind of enjoyed it as I played more games.

Then I played the Psyches which made me permanently despise not only blizball but the al bhed too. :v:

VegasShirtGuy posted:

This can be sort of cheated on as well by abusing reset data and the fact that if you keep entering and exiting the blitzball menu from a save point it will change the tournaments and prizes. You only have to play through I think one season and 2 tournaments to get everything.

Doing this for a number of hours to get a weapon that would only be useful in content I would never play made me do some serious soul-searching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thinking about playing FF6 for the first time by myself. Any good guides on strategies, missable stuff, etc;?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I thought I hated blitzball after the first game in Luca, but then I actually kind of enjoyed it as I played more games.

Then I played the Psyches which made me permanently despise not only blizball but the al bhed too. :v:

That explains Wakka pretty well, actually.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Thinking about playing FF6 for the first time by myself. Any good guides on strategies, missable stuff, etc;?

I can only think of two major missable things. The first is the Atma Weapon, a nice weapon in a lava dungeon on the eastern side of the southern continent. Once you finish that dungeon, you can't go back, so be sure to grab it while you're there. The second involves a specific character. On the Floating Continent, once a timer appears, make sure not to get on the airship immediately. Instead, after getting the prompt, choose to wait, and at like four seconds a cutscene will trigger. You have to do this or you miss out on recruiting a specific character later.

Otherwise, FF6's probably the easiest game in the series. Magic is very powerful, Tools are powerful, Blitzes are powerful, Rages are powerful, etc. Just make sure to focus on everyone in your party, as late-game you get dungeons that require multiple parties, including the final dungeon, which requires three different parties (or twelve people).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

FFXIV players: Ok so if I meld direct hit materia instead of spell speed, that'll result in a 0.78% increase in dps over the course of the fight, assuming of course that I use optimal food and potions and work out an absolutely optimal rotation that accounts for the group's damage buffs and times the boss goes invulnerable...

Construct 7: what's 8+3

FFXIV players: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The game's really easy, and I can't think of anything missable that's worth mentioning. There is a certain point in about the middle of the game that, depending on how you want to approach it, you might prefer to not be spoiled about over making the "right" decision. I will be circumspect: A character will tell you to wait for them. There will be a timer. Leaving early counts as not waiting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

there are a couple powerful missable items and weapons in the first half of the game, but it's an SNES rpg so as long as you're fairly thorough in your explorations, you'll probably get most of the good stuff.

This is my Top 4 Cool And Permanently Missable Treasures list. Item #4 isn't actually an item

1: When you meet Banon, he'll ask you to help the Returners. If you say Yes, you get a Gauntlet(?), which allows you to do 1.5x damage per attack if you only equip a weapon with no shield. Ok for Sabin. If you talk to him and say No three times, the plot will progress as if you had said Yes, but you'll get a Genji Glove instead, which lets you equip two weapons at once, and attack twice in one action!

2: When your party splits into three early in the game, during Locke's story, you can find a Ribbon in a chest. It's hidden in a downstairs area you can only reach by walking through invisible walls, and the chest itself is completely invisible, hidden in the margin underneath the overhang of a wall.

3: In the Cave to the Sealed Gate, you can do a switch puzzle to open a secret room containing the Atma Weapon. It's a special weapon that ignores defense, but will also be kind of weak when you find it because its true power is determined by your current HP. Use it once you have like 2000+ health and you'll be pleased by the results.

4: At the very end of the Floating Continent, you have to escape on a timer. If you wait until 5 or 6 seconds are left on the clock, your ninja party member will catch up to you. Otherwise he dies forever

This is my Lategame Very Good Items list. Well 5a is a party member:

5a: As soon as you get the airship, you can land in the very center of a mountain shaped like a star. Locke rejoins your party if you can complete the dungeon, but be warned that the enemies here are very strong. You can't get the items listed in 5b and 5c until you do this.

5b: In the second half of the game, if you bring Locke to Narshe, he can unlock the doors in the town and you can get good treasure. You can choose between an esper that lets you learn Ultima, or the strongest sword in the game.

5c: You can also find an armor called the Cursed Shield. If the character wearing it gets EXP and AP for 256 battles (they don't have to be consecutive, and you can unequip it any time), it becomes the Paladin Shield. This also teaches Ultima when equipped, so you don't even need the esper to learn the spell. Because of the excruciating requirement, it's highly recommended you get this as soon as possible.

5d: There also exists an accessory called the Cursed Ring. Don't be fooled, it never loses its curse and it's always poo poo

5e: The strongest armor in the game is the Snow Suit, but it can only be worn by two characters. You get it by betting a Behemoth Suit at the Coliseum. Its defense is so astronomically high that almost everything will do under 100 damage. No, I didn't forget to type another zero. If you pair it with the Paladin Shield (absorb all elemental attacks), a Ribbon (no status ailments), and a Safety Bit (immune to instant death), that character will be functionally invincible.

further informational reading

Stamina is a dump stat and you should almost never bother increasing it, because it raises the damage you take from poison and other chip damage effects. The exception is if you're going to take it >100, because if you ever get your Stamina above 100, iirc you'll be mathematically immune to instant death effects.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 25, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

One more FF6 thing: when you get Mog, check the wall behind him for a relic that avoids encounters.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

well he's got 7 right in the name so I panicked :shobon:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

FFXIV players: Ok so if I meld direct hit materia instead of spell speed, that'll result in a 0.78% increase in dps over the course of the fight, assuming of course that I use optimal food and potions and work out an absolutely optimal rotation that accounts for the group's damage buffs and times the boss goes invulnerable...

:laffo:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How the gently caress did none of you miserable insects mention Construct 7's dance he does at the end of the Ridorana Lighthouse in FF14? You brought him up and didn't link a gif?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thanks for the replies. I'd never forget Shado. He was one of my boys when we played two player.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gologle posted:

How the gently caress did none of you miserable insects mention Construct 7's dance he does at the end of the Ridorana Lighthouse in FF14? You brought him up and didn't link a gif?

very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXMsXNs0A24

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Tae posted:

I'm not taking advice from someone that sees nothing wrong with the mobile ports

Valid opinion!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
12 TZA: I found a Golden Amulet (the LP doubler) in the Ogir-Yensa Sandsea in a chest on an oil refinery thing. Is that a onesie or can I farm them here instead of having to wait for... uh, it used to be Mosphoran Highwaste but I don't even know where it is in TZA that you can buy them?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

12 TZA: I found a Golden Amulet (the LP doubler) in the Ogir-Yensa Sandsea in a chest on an oil refinery thing. Is that a onesie or can I farm them here instead of having to wait for... uh, it used to be Mosphoran Highwaste but I don't even know where it is in TZA that you can buy them?

You can't farm them and I don't think they're in shops in TZA but you'll find more

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MMF Freeway posted:

You can't farm them and I don't think they're in shops in TZA but you'll find more
Everything is for the worst in this, the worst of all possible worlds.

They already took away my Niho and now this!

We shall survive somehow :shobon:

(also idk if they changed license costs but it seems like even with two grids per person I won't really "need" them insofar as there are fewer license spots...)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Bunch of us playin through TZA huh? I just hit the part where you can double up on jobs - what do I look for in OP-edness if I'm skipping grinding and probably sidequests? Currently rockin a monk, red mage, and knight.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I got so mad when, after buying the locked-to-30FPS PS4 version, they released a 60FPS-capable PC port, that I stopped playing and haven't started again since

It's a remaster of a PS2 game, and the thing keeping it from reaching 60FPS on a PS4 Pro isn't engine limitations (which would've been understandable) but just a question of horsepower??? that'a ridiculous, gently caress that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's not like FF12 really gains anything from 60fps other than smoother camera movement.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not like FF12 really gains anything from 60fps other than smoother camera movement.

Unless there's an authorial intent to a lower framerate, higher framerates are always better

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Everything is for the worst in this, the worst of all possible worlds.

They already took away my Niho and now this!

We shall survive somehow :shobon:

(also idk if they changed license costs but it seems like even with two grids per person I won't really "need" them insofar as there are fewer license spots...)

All the green magic is in the guild shop now so grind hunts asap

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Instant Grat posted:

I got so mad when, after buying the locked-to-30FPS PS4 version, they released a 60FPS-capable PC port, that I stopped playing and haven't started again since

It's a remaster of a PS2 game, and the thing keeping it from reaching 60FPS on a PS4 Pro isn't engine limitations (which would've been understandable) but just a question of horsepower??? that'a ridiculous, gently caress that

Some of the new features on the remaster are very demanding, such as Ambient Occlusion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

corn in the bible posted:

All the green magic is in the guild shop now so grind hunts asap
I knew this from the chest-magic-and-skills-location list from this thread but thank you (and lol if you don't grind hunts asap)

Did they buff the Demon Wall or is it just that I've never done this without Gladiuses out the rear end before?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Is this the place to ask about ffXv or is there another thread. I don't come into Games much and couldn't find anything specific after digging through the first dozen pages.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Unless there's an authorial intent to a lower framerate, higher framerates are always better

I mean, yes? But it's not a big deal.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the precision inputs needed to watch XII execute macros

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Is this the place to ask about ffXv or is there another thread. I don't come into Games much and couldn't find anything specific after digging through the first dozen pages.

Theres another thread somewhere but whatever who gives a poo poo just post

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It just feels better to play and look at? And I'm grumpy that THE POWER OF THE PS4 PRO can't handle 1080p60 on a PS2 remaster when a low-midrange PC graphics card from 5 years ago can do it no sweat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Does FFXII encourage you towards particular jobs for particular characters? Aesthetically, I mean, even if there’s no gameplay difference.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Darth Walrus posted:

Does FFXII encourage you towards particular jobs for particular characters? Aesthetically, I mean, even if there’s no gameplay difference.

There is gameplay differences tho. All characters have different stat growths, and some have longer attack animations for certain weapon types. Balthier is slower with guns than everyone else, Fran is slower with bows.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Darth Walrus posted:

On a macro scale, no. Some have different base stats and attack speeds, but only on the order of 10% or so at most.

E: I guess aesthetically Vaan's a thief, Balthier's a mechanist, Fran's an archer, and Ashe is a knight just from the gear they start with and their general look.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MC Hawking posted:

The op locked the ffxv thread a while ago, so unless another one was put up for the pc release here’s the place to post.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MC Hawking posted:

there is a ff15 pc thread but it's super dead.

my recommendation is, turn off the HUD, minimap, and stamina indicators entirely. well, you have to switch the HUD back on when you go fishing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like the stamina bar on, but you don't need it if you either a) equip an outfit or item that gives you infinite stamina or b)pay attention to the stutter step Noctis does right before he's fully exhausted so you can do the pulse stamina maneuver

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The only time I ever sprinted in FF15 was if it was required for the plot, or if I was out in the middle of the night because I was low level. Otherwise I just jogged everywhere, or walked even. I walked up the entire mountain area, and it took until nightfall to get to the top. The timing on the voice cues was so perfect.

maybe i'm just weird

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You love star ocean so yes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
only star ocean 2 i'm not like those degenerates who like star ocean 3-5

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Tae posted:

You love star ocean so yes

Star Ocean 2 is fun and campy.

edit: turn your pear into peaches.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 26, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ardryn posted:

Star Ocean 2 is fun and campy.
             \

you're not making my point very easy for me to make dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

there is a ff15 pc thread but it's super dead.

my recommendation is, turn off the HUD, minimap, and stamina indicators entirely. well, you have to switch the HUD back on when you go fishing.

I just got to the fishing minigame and it's super fun :3:. I am unendingly amused by the emphasis on food stat bonuses in this game.

I haven't really played any final fantasy game since 10 with Titus on ps2 so this is a huuuuuge leap forward in combat style.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 26, 2018