Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dawgstar posted:

I won't lie. The covers for the books look pretty.

Are you talking about the WarHam4Kidz books? Because the art is objectively good, but that's not my problem with them. Just based on the established lore, they seem like one of those "Joker Mickey Kills Spiderman and Rapes Elsa" videos but made by an actual human instead of an algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MizPiz posted:

Are you talking about the WarHam4Kidz books? Because the art is objectively good, but that's not my problem with them. Just based on the established lore, they seem like one of those "Joker Mickey Kills Spiderman and Rapes Elsa" videos but made by an actual human instead of an algorithm.

Oh, sorry. They released the pictures for the new RPG covers, or at least I saw them for the first time today.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, sorry. They released the pictures for the new RPG covers, or at least I saw them for the first time today.

Could you actually post that? I can't seem to find it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

(Dark Tides is "an anthology containing five linked adventures".)

Oh yeah, pre-order bundles.

quote:

Player Bundle – $100
  • Core Rules(Hardcover/Deluxe/Limited)
  • Talents and Psychic Powers Card Pack
  • Gear Card Pack
  • 5 Dice (4 black, 1 red)
All-In Bundle – $275
  • Core Rulebook (Hardcover/Deluxe/Limited)
  • Dark Tides
  • GM Screen
  • Wrath Deck
  • Campaign Card Deck
  • Perils of the Warp Card Deck
  • Combat Complications Card Deck
  • Talents and Psychic Powers Card Pack
  • Gear Card Pack
  • Wrath & Glory Digital Soundtrack
  • 3 Double-Sided Battle Maps (1 large, 2 medium)
  • Beginner’s Rulebook and a new Starter Adventure (separate from Blessings Unheralded)
  • 6 Pre-Generated Characters on Deluxe Character Sheets
  • Acrylic Tokens for Characters, Enemies, and NPCs
  • 10 Dice (9 black, 1 red)
  • Exclusive Collectors Box

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 25, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
No "peasant edition" price? A $100 is hard to swallow.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

JcDent posted:

No "peasant edition" price? A $100 is hard to swallow.

The $100 is for a bundle. Individual books will be cheaper, though not sure exactly how much.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I was kind of eh on the earlier character pictures but the art looks a lot better with backgrounds that aren't pure white void.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Peep that bigmarine.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
wtf is going on with that marine's gun and hand though?

actually most of the weapons look like they're pasted on top of the hands without the hands actually holding them

edit: there's a lot of perspective problems as well, and body proportions that are very weird (and not just on the marine)

kujeger fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 25, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The bigmarines gun hand is v off. Even the colouring looks different. Not sure where his left forearm has gone either. I assume it's mostly just some lazy changes during composition on the part of whoever did the final arrangement.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The gun hand is fine, it just looks wonky because the armour plate on the back of the hand is aligned with the forearm armour. The bolter, however, is wonky as gently caress. It's literally bent.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the gun should have been pointing much more out of the page. Either that or it's got a really swept back grip.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

95% of official artists can't draw bolters or any another weapon, especially at an angle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm glad it's not full of bolter flash and explosions, but there's an overwhelming fan art vibe. Each element looks pasted together without context - it's a composite of character sketches in action poses, not a cohesive image.

It's not terrible, but it's just boring where I want it to be evocative. Hopefully there's an alternate art cover that isn't +$50.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ulisses has said on their Facebook page that the core rulebook will be US$60.

edit: Also the core rulebook will be available at gencon, either on its own or as part of the pre-order. The rest of the pre-order bundles won't be at gencon.

The $100 bundle costs the same as buying all of its components individually. The $275 bundle is discounted.

Hard copy books will include a digital download. PDF-only purchases will be available later.

All of the other stuff will be available individually as well.

The card packs are mostly an alternative to rolling dice and consulting charts that are in the core rulebook.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 26, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blades in the Dark is a rules-light game about fantasy Oceans 11 style heists and other criminal capers. Someone did a simple 40K hack, Blades of the Inquisition. It's Dark Heresy based with one crew type (Acolytes), a page of conversion notes, and 8 playbooks.

https://plus.google.com/+RoosterEma/posts/S2xTFa4upM5

On a first read, it looks like a good hack.

There's also a Rogue Trader hack that's more involved, but still depends on the BitD corebook.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmLeiRxlzXvTWt5VzJjTTV2bHc/view

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Sample Wrath and Glory character drop, lotsa hard crunch to chew on: https://www.ulisses-us.com/wrath-glory-additional-characters-for-free-rpg-day/

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.ulisses-us.com/more-information-about-the-wrath-glory-pre-order/

Not much big news in this article, although it does have this image:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MaliciousOnion posted:

Plz no doxx. :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

susan posted:

Sample Wrath and Glory character drop, lotsa hard crunch to chew on: https://www.ulisses-us.com/wrath-glory-additional-characters-for-free-rpg-day/

I like the look of the sample characters. Don't know what too much of this means yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I have the Free RPG day kit if anyone has any questions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

A few like what does all the stuff on those character sheets mean. And whats the diffrence between one of those guys and a Space Marine.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

S.J. posted:

If you can break down how the various traits (Resilience, Shock, Wounds, Conviction, etc) are resolved and how they're used that would be great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You got it. Gimme a few. Most of it's pretty basic dice pool stuff, but the specific keywords are pretty neat and the shock/wound/fear system sounds pretty rad, at least on paper. Also, the production values on this are great. Individual character folios for each character, and the binding is loose and is a big map for the combat stuff.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MaliciousOnion posted:

EXCUSE ME SIR DO YOU HAVE A MINUTE TO TALK ABOUT OUR LORDS AND SAVIORS GORK AND MORK?!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

If you can break down how the various traits (Resilience, Shock, Wounds, Conviction, etc) are resolved and how they're used that would be great.

Resilience: This is used to determine of an attack deals Shock, Wounds, or has no effect. Compare the DR (Damage Rating) of an attack, including bonus dice (for instance, from Rapid Fire), of the weapon vs Resilience, melee adds Strength to the weapon's DR. If DR is = to Res, 1d3 shock. If it's greater than Res, 1 wound per point of difference.

Shock is basically non-lethal damage. If you get to zero, you're unconscious. Represents physical and mental fatigue. Wounds are your physical health, if you get to zero, you are unconscious and may die based on your Defiance checks. If you're at zero at the beginning of your turn you roll Defiance until you pass one, or you get three total failures. You can spend Wrath to get +1 to the result of the check. Defiance is a single die, on a 4+ you stabilize, on a 6 you become conscious with 1 wound. 2-3 fails, 1 is two failures. You die immediately upon failing the third test.

Wounds and Soaking - you may make a Soak roll if you wish, reducing damage suffered by one wound per Icon and two per Exalted Icon. Soaking is not a test or have the option to apply Wrath dice or have a DN. You simply roll dice equal to your Soak (which I believe is equal to Toughness, special abilities notwithstanding) value and see what you get. Choosing to Soak wounds inflicts 1 shock immediately, plus an additional 1 shock per wound that you negated. Mortal wounds, for you 40k players out there, bypass your defenses and apply automatic wounds and require special abilities that specifically allow defense against Mortal Wounds to soak such as a Refractor Field.

Resolve is used to oppose the Fear trait. They must pass a Resolve test in order to act normally, if they fail, they suffer +1 DN when attacking or interacting with the source of the fear. It can also be used to oppose psychic attacks, but those don't appear in this booklet.

Conviction doesn't seem to be used in this adventure, and it isn't explained from what I can see. Failing Corruption or a Fear test gains Ruin for the GM to spend, similar to Glory for the NPCs, and is also gained when the DM rolls a 6 on a Wrath Test.

All of the characters are either Tier 3 or Ascended to Tier 3 for this adventure. The characters included with the kit are a Guardsman (Tier 1, ascended to 3), a Commissar (Tier 3), a Tactical Marine (Tier 3), and a Ministorum Priest (Tier 1, Ascended to 3).

The Space Marine is quite a bit better at killing things, especially mobs, in general, and of course is decently tough in comparison as well, but really does that and just that. Has an ability that gives him +1 to any test as long as the test is relevant to one of his implants, White Scars gives him a Piloting bonus for Astartes vehicles, and if he wants to Hold Action he must spend a point of Glory because the Khan didn't raise no pansy. Also has an note re: roleplaying that forces him to uphold his orders and traditions of his Chapter.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 31, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What Objectives does he have?

Also, how do objectives work?

What are lasgun stats?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

What are lasgun stats?

In particular, how do they compare to a Bolter, I want to know if they're going to actually try to represent them or if they're just going to try to be /tg/-tier Memelords and go HURRRRR FLASHLITEZ! :downs::hf:::downs:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 31, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Just looked at those two sheets. I'm still curious about the key words, especially since the Sororitas has keyword Adepta Astra Telepathica, which makes no real sense to me.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Werix posted:

Just looked at those two sheets. I'm still curious about the key words, especially since the Sororitas has keyword Adepta Astra Telepathica, which makes no real sense to me.

Keywords are apparently contacts or favors you can call on or something?

Her backstory posted:

You recently fought against a cult of prophecy-crazed heretics to defend a group of Astropaths. During the battle, you were stunned by a powerful blow, and ever since, your right eye has twitched
uncontrollably. The injury reminds you of the terror of that event, but it is better to have a blemish on your body than a stain on your soul. In the end, your efforts in the battle gained you respect from the Adeptus Astra Telepathica.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Working as muscle for the Witchhunters?

EFB

S.J.
May 19, 2008

JcDent posted:

What are lasgun stats?

Schadenboner posted:

In particular, how do they compare to a Bolter, I want to know if they're going to actually try to represent them or if they're just going to try to be /tg/-tier Memelords and go HURRRRR FLASHLITEZ! :downs::hf:::downs:

Objectives are just an RP thing. You roll at the beginning of the session. The pregens have some for you to see how they might work. If they do anything more than that in the full rules, I dunno.

Lasgun stats:
7 + 1 ED, AP 0, Salvo 2, 48m range, Rapid Fire (1), Steadfast. The guardsmen has a trait that gives him another extra die for damage on his lasgun. Apparently whatever Steadfast is doesn't matter for this adventure because it isn't specified.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I'd have to imagine it has something to do with weapon reliability/not jamming/etc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah that's my assumption.

Also the reload mechanic is really great. You start a session with 3 reloads, and you can either burn reloads to gain Salvo bonuses to hit for an attack, or you can use them to overcome complications with your weapon being out of ammo/jammed/etc. You don't have to actually track ammo.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ok but what happens when you run out? Does your gun quit working until you find more, or do you just lose the ability to use those "powers?"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ok but what happens when you run out? Does your gun quit working until you find more, or do you just lose the ability to use those "powers?"

If you have no reloads remaining, and you roll a Complication (a 1 on the Wrath dice), then the weapon is unusable until more ammo is found. But the complications are narrative, so it isn't necessarily guaranteed that's what will happen.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm angry that bolter is AP 0.

Anyways, can you talk about armor more? Like, how it scales, and is SM Power armor as awesome as it should be?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I think there is at least one other person here talking about attending gen con. It appears that if you preorder from them, you can opt to pick up your rules at Gen Con.

Might make me consider pre-order, just to make sure I can get a copy while there. I still remember FFG selling out of Tome of Decay day 1, and these guys are a smaller outfit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This is a good idea. Paizo should have done something like that for Starfinder last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

JcDent posted:

I'm angry that bolter is AP 0.

Anyways, can you talk about armor more? Like, how it scales, and is SM Power armor as awesome as it should be?

I mean, to be fair, Power Armor in the 40k fluff is way overhyped by basically everyone, powerful as it is. So the guardsman with a Sub-dermal armor implant and a flak vest has Resilience 8 (toughness + armor) and and 6 wounds, whereas the tactical marine has resilience 11 and 8 wounds. Power Armor is +6 and a Flak Vest is +3.

e: And if I'm getting some of these numbers wrong, it's because not everything about how the characters are made is spelled out on the sheet.