Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Because it's gaudy trash that was originally meant to be torn down a few weeks after being shown off and it got delayed until it became an iconic symbol recognizable world wide.

A common scam for years after it was built was to sell fake recycling rights to the steel in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

It's ugly af

Virtually every block in Paris has far more appealing architecture

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Jollity Farm posted:

It's been an absolute glacial age since I saw The Wizard of Oz, and I've never read the books, but I'm pretty sure the main point about the Wizard was that he was a fraud and a grifter. Right wing political cartoonists are always doing this kind of thing. I don't think I can entirely comprehend it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_interpretations_of_The_Wonderful_Wizard_of_Oz

quote:

It is ruled by a scheming politician (the Wizard) who uses publicity devices and tricks to fool the people (and even the Good Witches) into believing he is benevolent, wise, and powerful when really he is a selfish, evil humbug. He sends Dorothy into severe danger hoping she will rid him of his enemy the Wicked Witch of the West. He is powerless and, as he admits to Dorothy, "I'm a very bad Wizard".

Suffice to say, really excellent cartoon Ben.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'll I know is The Coup's version of the Wizard of Oz is the best one

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Because the reflected light shines into my attic room at night and keeps me awake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ikanreed posted:

Because it's gaudy trash that was originally meant to be torn down a few weeks after being shown off and it got delayed until it became an iconic symbol recognizable world wide.

A common scam for years after it was built was to sell fake recycling rights to the steel in it

Didn't it end up used as a radio tower almost immediately?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqp33KRndl8

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Jollity Farm posted:

It's been an absolute glacial age since I saw The Wizard of Oz, and I've never read the books, but I'm pretty sure the main point about the Wizard was that he was a fraud and a grifter. Right wing political cartoonists are always doing this kind of thing. I don't think I can entirely comprehend it.

l. frank baum was a eugenicist who was directing his critique at the left-wing, anti-racist populist party so this is wrong sadly

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GDqQR4VKc

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

l. frank baum was a eugenicist who was directing his critique at the left-wing, anti-racist populist party so this is wrong sadly

Ehhhh sort of. Politics in those days worked the same as now. Someone might be a Republican because they are anti-abortion but might not care about tax policy. Except in those days there was less platform uniformity.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
lmao

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Shouldn’t it be orange?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

BuckT.Trend posted:

Shouldn’t it be orange?

Nice

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
trump gay!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gotem

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Back in 1905 or some poo poo like that, the city of San Francisco had a parade/festival celebrating the Spanish (note: certainly not Mexican) roots of California, while absolutely forbidding non-whites from participating. National Hero Jack Johnson responded by getting two white prostitutes into a convertible and racing down the parade route waving at shocked whites, possibly while drunk off his rear end.

Jack Johnson good, despite his recent association with the trump white house

the goat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i love twitter

https://twitter.com/GregProops/status/999064718408126464

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
more like greg poops lmao

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i stopped listening to proops' podcast the second or third time he went off about people being too mean about marie antoinette

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol imagine listneing to podcasts where they mention mare antionete 3 times

what a loving idiot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baloogan posted:

lol imagine listneing to podcasts where they mention mare antionete 3 times

what a loving idiot

revolutions podcast owns

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pikavangelist posted:

it is with a heavy heart that i must announce that the game theorists are at it again

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/999710980069306369
https://twitter.com/AP/status/999700434007752711

I made the mistake of reading the comments and can confirm that the liberals are currently busy convincing themselves that Jack Johnson must have been some kind of cartoon superpimp.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

whoops, ha ha

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The best people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/pangopup/status/999986573683953665

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

exmarx posted:

whoops, ha ha
Yeah, "whoops".

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

exmarx posted:

whoops, ha ha

every once in a while you get a dipsy doodle

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

This argument is always exactly the same as cheaters use. "I didn't choose someone else over you, it wasn't about you personally, I didn't even want him/her, I just needed an escape." Just the vaguest stretches of rationalization to avoid saying the simple truth of what happened.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's such a worn out canard at this point it's not even edgy, it's just lame and pathetic. As somebody who grew up in the South and was raised on Confederate revisionism it's really infuriating that anybody would be this opportunistic about it. Especially when it's coming from some Canadian loser.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Especially when it's coming from some Canadian loser.

this is the part i found funny

also that he was born in england

and yeah louisiana history was such a bullshit class full of that nonsense

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is the part i found funny

also that he was born in england

The Anglo has a lot to answer for.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the Civil War was about states rights' to allow slavery

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol all you have to do is read the States secession statements where they complain and cry about how the north is going to ban slavery

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

To mandate slavery, even.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peanut President posted:

My favorite bit is about the intolerable tariffs, but the yeomanry that made up the vast bulk of Southern whiteness were all organized in self-sufficient communities. Only one particular class had anything to do with international commerce. :thunk:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The CSA constitution is literally a copy paste of the american constitution with slavery explicitly added in

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tiberius Christ posted:

The CSA constitution is literally a copy paste of the american constitution with slavery explicitly added in

That was just a coincidence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Being a canuck CSA apologist is like being a Manchurian who happens to care a lot about Hungarian irredentism