Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I still believe in big Tommy dumoulin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I think Yates's poor performance might actually have been mostly mental. 1) It's an easy-ish stage with a final climb that is rather ill-suited for attacks. 2) OK, we're letting the breakaway have the stage win (this was settled at like 1 PM, so a lot of time to start thinking about tomorrow and get distracted). 3) The GC group is going to come in together, with the possible exception of Lopez and Carapaz. 4) Dumoulin is attacking, and Froome is attacking, and Poels is up the road for him - TILT

I would love for Dumoulin to win the Giro but since steps 1 through 3 aren't going to happen again, Yates should have this if he's still on form. Then again, it's just 28 seconds. God I live the Giro

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Nice finish from Max Snackmann, he’s been riding aggressively the whole race.

This was almost as funny as Wout riding off the road

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HappyCamperGL posted:

I still believe in big Tommy dumoulin.

A longish 9% climb tomorrow is not going to do him any favors.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

There are shades of Nibalis win tho. Completely out of it mid way through the final week and through luck with Kruijswijk and Chaves cracking hard on one stage he won it.

Although given Yates form so far I think he'll take the time back tomorrow in reality.

I doubt Froome can win at this point but I think he will definitely be the one that decides the race. Hopefully he says gently caress it and goes long on the Finestre today.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Has he ever gone long on a climb? Not saying it won't happen but I can't remember that ever happening.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It was a power climb finish yesterday so played into the hands of the more TT-oriented guys, the next two days are proper mountains so I reckon if Yates hasn't just cracked completely he should be able to keep Tommy D in check. The way Yates was riding did look more like he didn't care to follow the attacks too hard on that terrain than that he'd blown up trying to follow, I reckon.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Has he ever gone long on a climb? Not saying it won't happen but I can't remember that ever happening.

He did at the Dauphine last year, but that was a much shorted stage than this.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

rip aru

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Absolute savage stage so far.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Absolute savage stage so far.

I haven't seen images yet, but not letting a break go for 50km with +1000m, including a CAT 2, sounds horrible.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Kiryienka also abandoned

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

scaevola posted:

I haven't seen images yet, but not letting a break go for 50km with +1000m, including a CAT 2, sounds horrible.

The grupetto are going to have to monster the descents to make the time cut. This is not going to be a slow stage with the top 10 so close.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The group up front loaded with riders from GC contender teams makes me think the Finestre will be a massacre

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

The group up front loaded with riders from GC contender teams makes me think the Finestre will be a massacre

Oh you know people are gonna attack hardcore on that with the makeup of the break. Hence why Yates is trying to bring it back now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

loving :stare: at the sky train lmao

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Any decent streams available? I need a tasty look.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

loving :stare: at the sky train lmao

They're gonna have to extend the time cut or lose half the Peloton lol

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

yates struggling

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yates about to go out the back...

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Rip Yates this is brutal

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is absolutely savage

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Rips Yates.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

40 seconds down already. Jesus

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Poor lil' Yatesy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is painful to watch. Dumoulins to lose now.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

Well he’s only 25. He should be ready for the full three weeks in a few years

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

A minute now, lol.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
RIP Yates

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

Cool as gently caress sitting up by Leon Sanchez

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lol at Sanchez

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

I just hope Froome pops. I don’t think I could take Carlton Kirby if he starts riding well again

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
That was a lot of work for a gel

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm loving grimacing at Elissonde's turn.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
is he actually going solo for 80km

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

Fair play if he’s going for an 80k solo ride

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Fair play if he’s going for an 80k solo ride

Yeah. If he pulls it off (and I hope this is enough to jinx him) he can add it to the 2016 Tour on the list of accomplishments that I'll never poo poo-talk

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I am pissing myself laughing.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Smirr posted:

Yeah. If he pulls it off (and I hope this is enough to jinx him) he can add it to the 2016 Tour on the list of accomplishments that I'll never poo poo-talk
A shame the 80km solo win won't stand once he gets banned.

"Shame".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Tommy Du got this