Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also when you're the Basically Marine Guardsmen Chapter it's probably hard to care much if a plane falls on one ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"We are all bleeding today. Have faith, Word Bearer."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Emperor's Children are #1 this thread is like, sooooo dumb.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

JBP posted:

Wrong again, per usual.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

This guy gets it. Also, Word Bearers are cool guys who just want to help.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stanyer89 posted:

Wrong again, per usual.

Your taste in spes marin, much like everything else, is unsophisticated.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Gentlemen gentlemen every legion is dogshit compared to the one true Legion: Sons of Horus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's me, I'm the one who ranked the Raven Guard the best legion in the survey thing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

panascope posted:

Gentlemen gentlemen every legion is dogshit compared to the one true Legion: Sons of Horus. Ultramarines

:agreed:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Everyone's trying to dunk on the Word Bearers when they're the only legion to march to its own tune. The others were content with the grand lie that was the Imperial Truth, conquering to the beat of the Emperor's drum to build an empire of lies, their ultimate fates to be discarded at the end as refuse just like the Thunder Warriors were. No others sought out the Primordial Truth, the real knowledge that lies at the edge of perception, the knowledge that pierces the veil between realities, the knowledge that will ultimately save Mankind from the fate of the Eldar and those races before them.

Wake Up, Sheeple!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cythereal posted:

It's me, I'm the one who ranked the Raven Guard the best legion in the survey thing.

Either that or Sallies, though I dislike their "last stands are loving great gimmick"

The Imperial Guardsman Chapter is what a dislike about IWs the most; one black book points out that even at max speed, it takes two years to make a Marine - and that speed was achieved by IWs. You can't really treat soldiers that take so long to create as disposable. However, Pert probably hates them all anyways, so it's in character.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

More like the Turd Wearers

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

More like the Turd Wearers
:nsavince:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Go to bed

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Go to bed
It's only 10:30 pm. :colbert:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cythereal posted:

What the gently caress

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What, no LCtB this week? I bet they're unhappy with how slowly the stuff from the last one is moving (if MK II is unpopular, it's doubly unpopular when people are uncertain about the future of the game) and don't want to spook us any more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Corrode posted:

What the gently caress

They're sneaky, practical, treat normal humans like real people, I really like their color scheme, and for the last few years GW's writers have decided they're Native Americans. I like them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

They have? Does this make them new Dark Angels?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Nerd Bearers are only #18 because there's no option for #19

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JcDent posted:

They have? Does this make them new Dark Angels?

Dark Angels in the books have been backing off pretty hard from that and going all-in on the monastic knight thing. Raven Guard, on the other hand, have been developing a thing for counting coup in friendly bouts with each other and other Imperial forces, now all carry personal totems that represent their spirit and are returned to Kiavahr while their bodies (minus the glands) are given sky burials (i.e. left for scavengers to eat), stuff like that.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Safety Factor posted:

If you want to paint your guys as Luna Wolves, do it. If you wanted to go the Loyalist route, it'd be easy to say something like they were off in some splinter fleet and when they heard about Horus' betrayal they decided their oaths to the Imperium were stronger. They then reverted to their old scheme as a way of casting off their association with Horus. If you wanted to stay traitor, it'd be a little more difficult, but, whatever, they're your dudes and your fluff. You could even frame them as a pre-Heresy army and just not worry about it during games. Do what you want. :shobon:

I painted a test last night - not a model, but a plastic spoon, like the old scale modler's trick. (It's cheaper than wasting a model, and it helps you practice getting a really smooth paint with blends on an unforgiving surface.)

I did a Mechanicus Standard Grey primer, followed by Ushanti Bone as the main color and Vallejo white as the highlight. I think it looks drat good, and will make for a nice "lunar grey" for Luna Wolves:

I figure this simple scheme plus some shoulder insignia and few minor conversions will make for a nice looking army.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cythereal posted:

Dark Angels in the books have been backing off pretty hard from that and going all-in on the monastic knight thing. Raven Guard, on the other hand, have been developing a thing for counting coup in friendly bouts with each other and other Imperial forces, now all carry personal totems that represent their spirit and are returned to Kiavahr while their bodies (minus the glands) are given sky burials (i.e. left for scavengers to eat), stuff like that.

That was the only takeaway I got from listening to Helion Rain. It's basically the same audiobook as Eye of Vengeance: some scouts go on a mission, then some die, but they win. The end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SRM posted:

That was the only takeaway I got from listening to Helion Rain. It's basically the same audiobook as Eye of Vengeance: some scouts go on a mission, then some die, but they win. The end.

I was dumb enough to buy Deliverance Lost because I'm a big Raven Guard fan. Many regrets were had.

There's been a few neat Raven Guard characters in other Heresy books, paling around with Salamander and Iron Hand survivors of Istvaan, but man are they let down by certain authors going completely batshit with how they're the sneakiest most invisible ninja marines ever.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

My boy Argel Tal deserves better than #18.

:rip: Argel Tal :rip:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

:rip::angel: Rip in peace Argel Tal, gone but not forgotten :angel::rip:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You just know that there's an RG fan out there wanking to the most insane stealth ninja crap that you just derided.

Fukken nerds.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

You just know that there's an RG fan out there wanking to the most insane stealth ninja crap that you just derided.

Fukken nerds.

Well yes. At the very least the author thought it was cool, and if they did then you bet there's a bunch more who were all over dat spess nin nin stuff.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked Argel Tal's weird semi-platonic relationship with the blind priestess from Monarchia

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Who's Tal?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JcDent posted:

Who's Tal?

You’ve gone too far this time. Ettin ban plz

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have a hard time liking most of the loyalist legions b/c I find them a bit one dimensional. The early Warhammer fluff gave a lot of attention to Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, and Space Wolves and if it feels somebody is playing favorites or ‘the best of the best EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE LITTLE THING’ and their enemies ‘the worst of the worst’ it gets too black and white for me. Some of the traitor legions fall into this too of course. Mustache twirling villains are just as polarizing. FW has done a pretty good job of making this less true in 30k and I do find more depth to the 30k legions. Still, hard to get past favoritism once it’s in your head.

I’m also a bit of a minority in that I don’t care much for comic book heroes and villains. The Primarchs often get this treatment. I find Pert to be one of my least favorite parts of the IW background. He’s been written so inconsistently that I can’t at all connect to him, understand his motivations, or even wonder how he managed a legion. I basically suspend my disbelief when I think about him. I know self-loathing is an Iron Warrior trait, but the way it’s been handled doesn't work for me.

That artist depiction of a crazy smart unhinged dude is pretty accurate tho.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Maybe I just lucked into reading the right stuff for this view, but Perturabo seemed pretty consistent and relatable (though some writers do make him randomly do dumb evil poo poo); grew up without a childhood, wanted to apply his vast knowledge to making amazing cities, but instead both of his fathers made him plan out wars and gave him poo poo for credit even for that. Leading him to being both super bitter and having an inferiority complex.

That's a part of why he doesn't like his own legion and uses them as direct body resources rather than cultivating Kharn/Argel/Typhus-esque talent. He really doesn't want to be there.

(God knows why the Emperor decided to make two siege & fortification expert sons and only acknowledge one of them)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Actually lets talk about the IF IW thing. Back in the old fluff the IWs were the siege masters and the fists the best defenders. In 30k they still kinda differentiate the two, but it feels like they've made them basically the same legion in 40k (they just accomplish their goals in 2 different ways).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It kind of makes sense for 40k; their last big Dorn-led IF vs. IW fight saw the fists utterly failing to breach Pert's fake fortress, and once Pert was hanging in the warp he got to build as many crazy fortresses as his heart wished. It would make sense that the IF would decide "we should probably learn something from this" and the IW getting some experience in fortification.

Definitely makes for some meh differentation writing-wise, yeah. I'm also not entirely certain of Pert's motivation in 40k; after his big victory over the fists he just becomes a daemon prince (to which?) and just stands around being evil.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 25, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Aren't their chapter tactics literally the same in 40k?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JcDent posted:

Aren't their chapter tactics literally the same in 40k?

Yep. At least it's a pretty good one.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Neurolimal posted:

It kind of makes sense for 40k; their last big Dorn-led IF vs. IW fight saw the fists utterly failing to breach Pert's fake fortress, and once Pert was hanging in the warp he got to build as many crazy fortresses as his heart wished. It would make sense that the IF would decide "we should probably learn something from this" and the IW getting some experience in fortification.

Definitely makes for some meh differentation writing-wise, yeah. I'm also not entirely certain of Pert's motivation in 40k; after his big victory over the fists he just becomes a daemon prince (to which?) and just stands around being evil.

The problem with the daemon primarchs up until recently is that with the real exception of Angron and the first war for Armageddon is they all hosed off to do nothing and it just leaves them hanging off screen a bit “yeah these big bads exist but we are not bringing them to play and they do poo poo that doesn’t matter that much” which has slowly changed in recent years and then with the gathering storm and 8th we now have 2 daemon primarchs and a loyal one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really like that Lorgar has been meditating in his temple for the last 10k years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The ultimate incel