Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

does it randomly just change layouts on you too?

that was always fun in vista/7 when microsoft would by default include the candian french layout if your region was set to canada.

i have no telling of that since i have used uk british keyboard layout on windows for as long as i remember my computers

the key thing is that the friend of mine has selected latvian layout for english language, which i assume is why this is happening, but i am too lazy to test if having latvian with latvian layout remediates the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apparently if you set windows to english language with latvian keyboard layout, there will be a ghost english keyboard layout sometimes appearing on language switch but invisible in both settings menus

surely a far more important bug for you is that the new version of edge has broken your avatar:

it is documented that they have redone gif rendering in some way to conserve power, i'd presume some timer coalescing to keep from touching a page with multiple gifs ridiculously many times, but that frame isn't drawn right anymore

despite being a windows 10 fan it is hard to deny that this update seems less than perfectly tested ;q

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

that was always fun in vista/7 when microsoft would by default include the candian french layout if your region was set to canada.

also the "Canadian Multilingual Standard" layout which is exceptionally rare

and all labeled as "English (Canada)" so if you started writing in French in Word it'd label everything as wrong due to thinking it was meant to be english

whenever deploying i always had to purge everything and then create two options (assuming the client wanted both) "English (Canada) - US layout" and "French (Canada) - Canadian French layout", I think only once or twice I had a client who happened to be using an old keyboard with either "Canadian French (legacy) layout" or "Canadian Multilingual Standard" layout. And of course the "French (France)" layout is entirely different with an AZERTY layout which gets extra-fun with French versions of games you can't remap keys in since WASD is ZQSD

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is hard to deny that this update seems less than perfectly tested ;q

the hell you say

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apparently if you set windows to english language with latvian keyboard layout, there will be a ghost english keyboard layout sometimes appearing on language switch but invisible in both settings menus

:yossame: with english display language and danish keyboard, except the number of keybords vary between one and three, with one danish and up to two english keyboards.

also :yossame:

windows is garbage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

surely a far more important bug for you is that the new version of edge has broken your avatar:

it is documented that they have redone gif rendering in some way to conserve power, i'd presume some timer coalescing to keep from touching a page with multiple gifs ridiculously many times, but that frame isn't drawn right anymore

despite being a windows 10 fan it is hard to deny that this update seems less than perfectly tested ;q

SHAGGAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also, today i discovered robocopy and made a backup thing in task scheduler with it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's a command line?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

there's a command line?

yeah it's on the front page

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if Canadians want proper regional setups they can set everything to en-us and it will be correct. Canada mandates the hosed up combos of weird poo poo that are apparent in the Canadian region/layout config.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

i'm not sure the canadian layouts were ever "good" as such but they got extra-hosed by @ suddenly becoming essential for email addresses when it was hidden the gently caress away (right alt+2) and the like

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

even worse than that - all the text and boxes are now rendering in some disgusting sickly piss-amber color

eeuuugh :barf:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i was just telling a friend today about how microsoft cut all their qa guys and while i was googling articles i came across this: https://www.networkworld.com/article/2453929/microsoft-subnet/would-microsoft-really-cut-its-qa-department.html

quote:

Opinion
Would Microsoft really cut its QA department?
Bloomberg says Microsoft’s quality assurance team might be the target of cuts, but that borders on the unthinkable.

lmao

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

beta testing in the future

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have a very similar problem, sometimes when i come home from work my computer has switched to a ghostly english keyboard despite the settings only having my swedish keyboard installed, the solution is to add a english keyboard, set it to default, then switch back to the swedish keyboard and remove the english one

sometimes the language bar also starts showing up despite having disabled it both in the new settings and old control panel settings, the solution is the same, install a new keyboard language, set the bar to be visible, remove the new keyboard, set the bar to not visible

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what a piece of poo poo, imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't sign

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

people at work would get their keyboard layouts randomly changing. the shortcut for switching between them is left alt + shift.

which is super helpful when you do a lot of work in excel

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

oopsie woopsie

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Imagine if Microsoft made autonomous cars

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

orange sky posted:

Imagine if Microsoft made autonomous cars

Ford Skype for Business 365 XP Quattro

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ford 365 Home,
Ford 365 Pro,
Ford 365 Enterprise,

and of course the most recent addition Ford Education S IoT

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Start is not working at the moment

Wait for the next patch which will come in 5 months

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
im readin the spec for USB HID and one of the required descriptors is for country code

dumping the descriptors of my keyboard shows
0x00 bCountryCode
which means 'unspecified' or n/a
it should be 0x22 for US (i think)

i think manufacturers may just put 0x00 for everything? does anyone know why the gently caress do they would do that?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
im just curious what the stupid reason is behind everyone having to manually choose their keyboard locale

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Probably because it would cost 1¢ more per keyboard to program each controller id to match the layout at the factory

But it's cool that someone at least tried to design USB so it would just work when you plug in a foreign keyboard
In theory if this was implemented correctly you could have several keyboards connected, one for english and one for moon runes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

macs do (or used to?) a weird thing where they had you press the buttons immediately adjacent to your shift keys (so Z and / on a US keyboard) and figure out the locale from that, at least with actual for-macs keyboards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. so win 10 1803, spring whatever just keeps reinstalling the promoted modern apps.

not, like, on new accounts, which is obnoxious but expected. no, for the same user, no matter how many times you right-click and uninstall from the start menu, the next day they're back with a helpful little "new" next to them.

please, go gently caress yourself and your goddamed ad trash you loving assholes.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

don’t use windows, problem solved

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

get-appxpackage | remove-appxpackage
get-appxprovisionedpackage -online | remove-appxprovisionedpackage -online

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

as a bonus upside, it completely breaks the windows store

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, which removes all modern apps, including the app store, which can be problematic at times.

i'm aware of the scorched earth method, but that's not something that's going into production

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AtomD posted:

im just curious what the stupid reason is behind everyone having to manually choose their keyboard locale

running windows in english with a non-american keyboard causes it.

the reason for running windows in english instead of localized is so the error messages don't ready like gibberish and the menus make just a tiny bit of sense.

windows (and also languages) were a mistake.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yes, which removes all modern apps, including the app store, which can be problematic at times.

i'm aware of the scorched earth method, but that's not something that's going into production

that powershell script is part of our mdt deployment lmao

its good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm mostly wary of what else will break when some daft update decides to check against core app packages that aren't there any more

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

So it's doubly important to convince enough people to nuke the appx packages for microsoft to always test their patches against that configuration :getin:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i can't imagine why you think microsoft tests their patches

there's certainly no evidence to support such a fanciful notion

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I use Alarms & Clock all the time. UWP redeemed.

And Edge is a loving POS. When are they ever going to fix the fullscreen dual monitor bug? And why does text input often lag while elements are still loading? No other browser works that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The worst thing about Edge is that it gives corporate computer janitors an excuse for not having to figure out how to package Chrome or Firefox for intranet use