Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hrm. I had thought it was animated by Studio Mir, but apparently it was Studio 4°C.

Nevertheless, if you're going to give production to a Japanese company, it's gonna come out looking like a Japanese work. This same company also animated Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go and Transformers Animated, so it's not like they've been bound to one style. It was just what was asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Monaghan posted:

Hey Thundercats also had one of the best character themes of all time :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11XJ83tzjw

What the gently caress this is incredible, I don’t remember this at all

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Honestly though I think it's only good for the show in the long run. I mean if you look on Youtube for Teen Titans Go the second result behind actual clips from the show are these dumbasses making reaction videos and long-winded rants about how ~terrible~ it is that the big bad network is ruining their nostalgia and how no one actually likes the show and it's only being broadcast because a whole loving company doesn't want money but actually just wants to piss them off personally. Only now I guess instead of 20-30 year olds it'll be middle-aged nerds whining on camera.

What I'm saying is that people will not simply not watch the show, like you're supposed to do with things you don't like, they're going to watch it to make sure they can tell everyone how bad it is, ironically giving it the views and interest it needs to live.

That's all well and good for the executive producer and license holder, but that won't make the harassment everyone working on the show will face any better.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

Hrm. I had thought it was animated by Studio Mir, but apparently it was Studio 4°C.

Nevertheless, if you're going to give production to a Japanese company, it's gonna come out looking like a Japanese work. This same company also animated Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go and Transformers Animated, so it's not like they've been bound to one style. It was just what was asked for.

Yeah, Studio 4C did what they were asked for. The western producers in Warner were chasing the trend of "anime" looking animations. Much like how Studio Trigger's Hiroyuki Imaishi working on anime OPs can have different results.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the art style looks terrible and lazy, but whatever. I'm not the target audience and it's not like people were clamoring for more Thundercats. I'm happy with remembering the old cartoon fondly but have no interest to watch it now, because that would probably make me realize how bad it was.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Incidentally, I like this coming on the heels of a little exchange this thread had last week about the style being used for Young Justice and the DC animated movies being tired and lifeless without going crazy.

Skwirl posted:

Edit: Also I hate that entire animation style. I understand not using the Timm/Dini style, since that's what the last adaptation used, but I pray they eventually switch to something else, even something that's closer to the Jim Lee esque art that was the New 52 house style for the first few years of New 52.

It's fine to have opinions without going wild about soy or anti-art school conspiracy theories.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I watched Batman Ninja today. It was so strange. It felt like a collection of video game cutscenes more than any kind of cohesive movie. I'm not really sure I understand the general theme of the movie at all. And poor Damian got his personality eaten by time.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

As an alum of Humboldt State University, CalArts can't have Stephen Hillenburg, creator of Spongebob. He's ours

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

poly and open-minded posted:

As an alum of Humboldt State University, CalArts can't have Stephen Hillenburg, creator of Spongebob. He's ours

You may keep him, it's okay. :v:

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

business hammocks posted:

The best thing about Thundercats was it produced that “MOTHER...FUCKER” .wav that endlessly delighted 17-year-old me.

I'm going to put this one right between her pretty little...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Penny Arcade guys have a really good piece about it. Basically there was once a good argument here, but it's descended into such vitriol that you can't really salvage it.

But the original fans of the IP had a reason to be upset about how the IP is being used to get a soft landing for a new property. It's worth reading the strip.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think it's a very good piece. Sometimes I like Tycho's takes but this seems wildly off base, like, he accuses the people defending the reboot of brand worship and blind corporatism, while completely ignoring the fact that the criticism of the reboot is shot through with weird right-wing politics stuff about "gender non-conforming characters" and "SJW animators".

I don't think most people even care about the Thundercats reboot per se, they just don't like that a bunch of right wing nerd personalities are coming after it based on a preview, mostly to gin up their follower base as far as I can tell. Those Youtube videos Lurdiak posted about SOY CUCK THUNDERCATS are beyond parody.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also he calls it "a piece of corporate art" and says that the feelings of the fans are what's important. I think that's off base too. The creators most likely really care about this show. You don't get into animation to make money, and the modern animation stable at CN is extremely creator-focused and has allowed for a lot of experimentation and artistic expression. They're not some 60s- or 80s-style rehash factory churning out toy commercials with canned animation loops.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't the Penny Arcade guys been whinging about "SJWs" themselves for ages at this point?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haven't the Penny Arcade guys been whinging about "SJWs" themselves for ages at this point?

They've been on the wrong side of a lot of these issues, which isn't surprising considering their age, demographic and income bracket.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think they're generally so partisan, and (last I heard) they're friends with and actively support the work of people like Erika Moen, Gavin Greco, Amy Falcone and Katie Rice. I think they have bad takes sometimes but I don't think they generally whine about "SJWs".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

I don't think it's a very good piece. Sometimes I like Tycho's takes but this seems wildly off base, like, he accuses the people defending the reboot of brand worship and blind corporatism, while completely ignoring the fact that the criticism of the reboot is shot through with weird right-wing politics stuff about "gender non-conforming characters" and "SJW animators".

I don't think most people even care about the Thundercats reboot per se, they just don't like that a bunch of right wing nerd personalities are coming after it based on a preview, mostly to gin up their follower base as far as I can tell. Those Youtube videos Lurdiak posted about SOY CUCK THUNDERCATS are beyond parody.

Yeah I think they'd have a point if the show were actually out and people were dissing/getting overly defensive about it then. As it stands, it's a bunch of dudes ready to fight over a picture and a press release and some half-baked notion that the big bad CalArt SJWs are coming to kill their childhoods.

Also it reeks of cultural gatekeeping (I think I'm using that term correctly excuse me if not) any time someone mentions that a remake should be "faithful" to the original work I cringe, because they might as well have said "it needs to be the same!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

Also it reeks of cultural gatekeeping (I think I'm using that term correctly excuse me if not) any time someone mentions that a remake should be "faithful" to the original work I cringe, because they might as well have said "it needs to be the same!"

Except My Little Pony, obviously, which only got good when they decided to make it for adult male fans instead (though of course they pretend it's still for little girls, but it's actually SURPRISINGLY DARK, trust me). :smug:

Sorry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

Also he calls it "a piece of corporate art" and says that the feelings of the fans are what's important. I think that's off base too.

I think it's off base too but mostly because you're never going to get a good representation of what fans want.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Android Blues posted:

I don't think they're generally so partisan, and (last I heard) they're friends with and actively support the work of people like Erika Moen, Gavin Greco, Amy Falcone and Katie Rice. I think they have bad takes sometimes but I don't think they generally whine about "SJWs".

Wasn't there a thing a couple years ago where after some rape survivors spoke up about the insensitivity of a rape joke they made they doubled down and went whole hog on talking poo poo about sjws

site fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 25, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Wasn't there a thing a couple years ago where after some rape survivors some up about the insensitivity of a rape joke they made they went whole hog on talking poo poo about sjws

Read all about it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

site posted:

Wasn't there a thing a couple years ago where after some rape survivors spoke up about the insensitivity of a rape joke they made they doubled down and went whole hog on talking poo poo about sjws

You mean the Dickwolves Incident?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I wish this at least summarized most of the comments made instead of unhelpfully noting that someone said something on a specific day.

Edit: "Louis CK is my hero." Sure didn't age well in a sea of posts and opinions about rape culture that didn't loving look good to begin with. Holy poo poo.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 25, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Read this series of comics from 2001 about how video games suck and aren't for 'real' gamers anymore. It's basically the same gatekeeping attitude that has always been used to shut out women/minorities from gaming. They aim it at a 'chad' sort of buff jock cliche too. Self-identified 'gamers' are children who never grow out of high school and when they get any kind of power they immediately turn into petty, vindictive balls of spite. You can draw a throughline straight from that attitude to today's gamergate style harassment campaigns.

They might not be deep in it themselves but there's a 90% chance they completely agree with it and just don't want to hurt their bottom line by fully committing to it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

Read this series of comics from 2001 about how video games suck and aren't for 'real' gamers anymore. It's basically the same gatekeeping attitude that has always been used to shut out women/minorities from gaming. They aim it at a 'chad' sort of buff jock cliche too. Self-identified 'gamers' are children who never grow out of high school and when they get any kind of power they immediately turn into petty, vindictive balls of spite. You can draw a throughline straight from that attitude to today's gamergate style harassment campaigns.

They might not be deep in it themselves but there's a 90% chance they completely agree with it and just don't want to hurt their bottom line by fully committing to it.

Ah yes, that dark period of video games that included Halo, Super Smash Brothers Melee and Metal Gear Solid 2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Halo does suck tho

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, I still agree with the point the original strip was making about how hosed up those "rescue five and only five peons" quests are in MMOs, but holy Hannah, doubling, and tripling, down is not how you take criticism dudes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I wish this at least summarized most of the comments made instead of unhelpfully noting that someone said something on a specific day.

Edit: "Louis CK is my hero." Sure didn't age well in a sea of posts and opinions about rape culture that didn't loving look good to begin with. Holy poo poo.

I think there used to be links but the sites they linked to died.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I think there used to be links but the sites they linked to died.

Yeah in part two the majority of the comments actually have links, which I didn't realize until after I had posted.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

purple death ray posted:

I stopped reading on the second strip when they referred to video games as "our herriatiage". I'll just never understand that mentality.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

2001 was 17 years ago. I have long stopped keeping track of Penny Arcade stuff. Is there anything more recent?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hypocrisy posted:

2001 was 17 years ago. I have long stopped keeping track of Penny Arcade stuff. Is there anything more recent?

They are definitely not the same people they were 17 years ago. They still have issues now and again (like, for instance, the entire Dickwolves thing), but even that was a while back and they've been trying to put in more effort since then.

They've mellowed out a lot. Fatherhood tends to do that to people, as does realizing 'hey, we're at the head of a small empire and have actual employees that depend on us'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder whether anyone back in the 80s lost their rag over the Ralph Bakshi version of Mighty Mouse not being sufficiently faithful to the Terrytoons shorts from 20 years earlier? :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder whether anyone back in the 80s lost their rag over the Ralph Bakshi version of Mighty Mouse not being sufficiently faithful to the Terrytoons shorts from 20 years earlier? :v:

Wasn't there a Mighty Mouse reboot people did complain about? I want to say it was by the Ren and Stimpy guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, though I do know that John K was one of the animators who got his start on the Ralph Bakshi cartoon (along with Bruce Timm, Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and others).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, though I do know that John K was one of the animators who got his start on the Ralph Bakshi cartoon (along with Bruce Timm, Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and others).

Oh that might have been it. But yeah, whichever one he was on I thought was very disliked by fans?

Did some googling and found what I was talking about :

quote:

"But the show often veered into territory too risque for the Tiffany Network, including having characters shower together and hinting in a dream sequence that Mighty's gal Pearl Pureheart had an illegitimate child with nemesis The Cow. The biggest controversy (and perhaps part of the reason why the show is remembered today) arose from the episode "The Littlest Tramp," where Mighty Mouse is shown sniffing what appeared to be cocaine.

CBS balked at the episode, but aired it after Bakshi explained he was in fact smelling a crushed flower. Parent groups insisted that Mighty could encourage children to become coke fiends, pressuring CBS to cut the scene for future airings. The controversy tainted the show, leading to its cancellation mid-way through season two."

So yeah, the show was seen as controversial and ultimately got cancelled because it pissed off a bunch of people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My introduction to Mighty Mouse was a bit random: many years ago, when I was visiting my grandmother, I found my dad's 30-year old View-Master (!) with a bunch of Mighty Mouse (and Disney) reels.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is Batman:Ninja?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's gotten some good reviews, but I've heard it's a lot like watching all the cutscenes from the world's most insane Batman game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty bonkers. Like Anime Mortal Kombat Batman.