Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DoctaFun posted:

I’ve been there! I was young and a terrible fishermen at the time, but it’s an awesome lake. I had a huge Muskie next to the boat, 50+” I’m confident, and my buddy tried to net it head first and missed it :(.

What part of the lake are you staying on? There is a long navigable windy stream to an interior lake(trout lake maybe?) that has lake trout. We didn’t catch any in there but it was a cool adventure to boat back in there. I’ll try to make a map and point it out.

Edit: it’s Clearwater lake, I can’t point it out right now, but if you look at satellite google maps you should be able to see it.

Made a quick little map to show where I was talking about. I know some folks are die hard fish 24/7 on their fishing trips, but if you're up for a little break and a neat adventure, it's a pretty fun drive on the tiller through the creek here! I'd ask lodge owners if it's still navigable though(if you are even staying anywhere near this part of the lake).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eu5K_8DY26dRxtmSGJKecJFmziLz_6zU&usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Made a quick little map to show where I was talking about. I know some folks are die hard fish 24/7 on their fishing trips, but if you're up for a little break and a neat adventure, it's a pretty fun drive on the tiller through the creek here! I'd ask lodge owners if it's still navigable though(if you are even staying anywhere near this part of the lake).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eu5K_8DY26dRxtmSGJKecJFmziLz_6zU&usp=sharing
I was writing a reply to your earlier post when you posted this, so I'll put it here.

We're staying around Waldhof Bay (I don't know exactly where), so it wouldn't be that far to go to Clearwater Lake if we wanted (the creek to Bottle Bay Lake was cleared out the week we were there last year, so I'm guessing some of the lodges are taking care of those little access waterways). We're bringing some kayaks, too, so... hmmm...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Speaking of kayaks, does anyone have a recommendation for a fishing kayak in the $500 range? I needs to be something that can handle inshore fishing, freshwater lakes and ponds and maybe slow moving rivers eventually. I would like something super stable that will support my 350lb goony rear end, 2-3 rods, a tackle bag and a small cooler for drinks. Bonus points for the ability to mount some kind of shallow water anchor.

Edit: My only previous experience with non motorized floating stuff was a 17' aluminum canoe that was entirely unsuitable for fishing in, super easy to tip over and a bitch to paddle solo or even with 2 people most of the time.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 25, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m not trying to be rude because I am a large person also, but you’re asking a lot for $500.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-12t-sit-on-top-titanium-kayak?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

I have an older version of this model and I believe it would suit all your needs. I got mine used for like $250-$300 so maybe try that route?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

No offense taken. I knew it was probably a big ask and I'd likely spend closer to $1000-1500 to get what I want. I've looked off and on for a while, but I'm hitting a point that I need to get off the bank to fish the way I'm used to fishing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 25, 2018

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I have an ascend 12t. It's ok, nothing fancy. I was looking at the 3 Waters big fish 105 earlier. It runs $799 and seems like a decent boat for the money. They make a 12' that's a couple hundred more.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Elmnt80 posted:

Speaking of kayaks, does anyone have a recommendation for a fishing kayak in the $500 range? I needs to be something that can handle inshore fishing, freshwater lakes and ponds and maybe slow moving rivers eventually. I would like something super stable that will support my 350lb goony rear end, 2-3 rods, a tackle bag and a small cooler for drinks. Bonus points for the ability to mount some kind of shallow water anchor.

Edit: My only previous experience with non motorized floating stuff was a 17' aluminum canoe that was entirely unsuitable for fishing in, super easy to tip over and a bitch to paddle solo or even with 2 people most of the time.

Are you actually 350lb? You'll want a pretty big kayak if so because the smaller ones won't have the carrying capacity. I doubt you'd get something like that for $500 but keep an eye out for second hand yaks because you might find a bargain.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yes, actually 350lbs. I'm kinda accepting I'm going to wind up paying a bit for a kayak if I go that way. Even used.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

No offense taken. I knew it was probably a big ask and I'd likely spend closer to $1000-1500 to get what I want. I've looked off and on for a while, but I'm hitting a point that I need to get off the bank to fish the way I'm used to fishing. Thanks for the suggestion.

If your looking in that price range check Craigslist for anybody with buyer remorse Hobies, probably the Pro-Angler vs the Outback since the latter only has a 400lb range.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah I’d be looking for a PA14, or something like an Ocean Kayak Trident 15 if you want a paddle yak.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-eagle-talon-120-kayak-15fnsufsgltlnstkypsk/15fnsufsgltlnstkypsk

I have this and am ~300lbs and it's stable enough if I keep my center of gravity over the middle. I haven't tried to stand in it yet, but people have plenty of videos doing so on youtube. It's a pretty nice kayak and at $399 it's as cheap of one you'll find that has a 350lb+ capacity from what I had found. I paid full price so that $199 off is a screaming deal :sigh:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Elmnt80 posted:

I am 6’4” 300lbs and have a 2016 Vibe Sea Ghost. It is almost exactly what you are looking for. It has a ton of storage, also has a space made in the hull for attaching electronics underneath, 2 built in rod holders, ~3’ wide and tracks well. It isn’t the fastest, but controls well, especially with the foot pedal controlled rudder.

When I started looking I started looking at kayaks that had a minimum of 400-450lbs capacity. All the stuff around $500 is probably in the 250-350lbs capacity.

It is hefty at 75lbs, but in my case I just have a gut and have maintained some of my earlier life’s athleticism, so my strength isn’t compromised. I get it on and off my vehicle easily.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The sea ghost is probably what I'd wind up in. I'll have to see if I can get some seat time in something like that before I buy. It'll be until tax time next year before I buy anyways, so I have time to gently caress around and research more.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I dunno if you're familiar with Chad Hoover but he's kind of a big deal in kayak bass fishing. He's also a pretty big dude and he fishes out of a Bonafide SS127. It's around $1600, but it has a 475 lb. capacity and is apparently ridiculously stable. They just started making a 10' version that I think is around $1200 but they look super nice, at least from just watching videos of them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's a good starter kayak for small guys? I'm only 145 or so, I assume that opens my options a bit. I'm also short so something that's easy to get on top of a car would be good.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
That'll depend on your budget really. If you check out Headwaters Kayak on YouTube they do a ton of reviews/overviews. There's a million options out there now and it seems like there's a million more every year.

Edit: I've been checking this one a bunch out lately. I'm not familiar with the brand but reviews says it's a lot of boat for the money. You can also add a rudder for about $200 more.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 25, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Cool, thanks! Not sure if it would be worthwhile since we have a pretty short season up here and my inlaws cottage already has more appropriate boats, but there are a couple of spots close to home that I'd love to fish.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

As though to reinforce my desire to get a kayak, I checked out a local spot a customer told me about. Shore access is limited to the boat ramp and the nearby channel, but tons of lily pads and reeds everywhere. I could also see where the channel narrowed to maybe 4.5' of shallow water before opening up for a righthand turn and an attached lily pad field. Good thing I just spend a week learning to use punch rigs. According to my customer, 5-7lb bass are not uncommon here, but I'd never get my boat back there, even if it was running

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would at least call the local Play It Again Sports if you have one and see if they have anything. Price is generally 50-60% of new and you can haggle them.

Probably won’t find anything super high end but you might be able to snag something decent.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm a terrible fisherperson. The only thing I've caught in the 2 years I've been fishing from my kayak is me.

maybe NWS:

https://i.imgur.com/c7YFW2n.jpg

I had to paddle my kayak like 1/4 mile, get my fat rear end out of it and then fail to perform the "tie line to the hook and yank it out" extraction method resulting in a trip to urgent care then ultimately the ER where I ended up for some lidocaine and assisted removal of the hook by a nurse + doc pair of fishermen who were sympathetic and wanted photos to share with buddies.

Here's another pic from after I tried the yank it out with fishing line method. You'll note it's now 180 degrees from where it was before and buried deeper.

https://i.imgur.com/AJRDYLC.jpg

Here's roughly where the hook was, though I think the gif looks more severe than it was but i can't quite get the angles right.

https://imgur.com/XWxe6Ro

Here it is after removal today. Not even any bruising really. It was a brand new Gamakatsu 4/0 EWG so thankfully it was super sharp and I only have a little bit of numbness and hardly any pain now the next day. It didn't really even hurt that bad when it happened - the lidocaine injections were worse than the hook.

https://i.imgur.com/VUXrePd.jpg

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That is one of several reasons why I always go barbless.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Yeah I'm crimping/filing all the barbs before I go out next time.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

Yeah I read some comments from some grizzled old veterans that said they would rather lose a fish than a fishing trip

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Went fishing with the kiddo and had a great day. Now I just need to figure out how to fish with her and catfish at the same time, it's a shame to let those Bluegill go to waste.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Today I traded three worms (first two were strikes that yanked them right out of the O ring) for two 10" dinks. Ah well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

charliebravo77 posted:

*Fish hook in fingat*

Next time, push the barbed end the rest of the way through, then snip the barb off and back the hook off. I keep a pair of wire snips in my tackle bag for just this reason. I've had to do it a few times and it does less trauma to your internal meaty bits than the string and yank method. Do it right and there is pretty much 0 blood. Even taught it to a doctor when I did it with a super dull rusty hook laying in the bottom of my boat and could't force it through myself without extreme pain. Had to tell him to get the snips from his maintenence dude at the hospital because he was confused and thought I was going to send him to the hardware store. :v:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well I don’t leave for my fishing trip for a month and I’ve already bought three rods :stare:.

I guess that’s the awesome part of going with my wife, ‘but honey, if we are vertical Jigging for walleye you will want a decent vertical jigging rod, otherwise I’ll end up outfishing you.’
There is some truth to it though, I have good setups for every type of fishing I like to do, but I don’t always have good setups for two people. Next year my son might come along too, which only means more rods.

Just need to stick up on some stuff for lindy rigging, bottom bouncers, some pike lures, and maybe a few husky jerks and I’ll be in good shape.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

My wife is always exasperated when she goes with me. She has her spincasting rod, I have four spinners and a baitcaster (two bottom rods, one live bait, one light panfish rod, one worm/lure rod) coming with :v:

At least when we're doing saltwater I only bring three.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Checked out a couple local (within 15 minutes of home) spots some customers told me about. First one was a pond system in a neighborhood. It was promising with lots of underwater vegetation, crystal clear water and decent shore access that isn't in someone's backyard. I need to borrow a truck to get further back to most of the bank access, but there is some by the entrance to the neighborhood. Got a few nibbles swimming a paddle tail swim bait across the tops of the vegetation. Gonna come back with a grass/swim jig. Should be fun.

Edit: Further google earth snooping revealed an undeveloped area of the neighborhood with lots of bank access. Wonder how long until their security kicks me out. :haw:

Second spot was a big bust. Theres a tiny local lake surrounded by houses with a quarter mile long channel leading to it. The only real bank access is by the boat ramp at the far end of this channel. Too narrow and shallow to do much fishing and only one spot to really swing a rod. Need to come back with a jon boat or a kayak.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 31, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Decide to try a spot in my new town; doesn't look like much, one of those small ponds with a fountain.

First cast, something slurps my senko out of the O ring. Rerig with a 4" senko. Slurped out on the second cast. Rerig. Third one gets slurped out after a couple more casts.

Got frustrated, poked the hook through the next senko instead of O-ringing it, then this happened:

Even the small bait-sized bream were going hog drat wild on the thing. Out of seven caught total, probably four snatched it before it could even start sinking.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Decide to try a spot in my new town; doesn't look like much, one of those small ponds with a fountain.

First cast, something slurps my senko out of the O ring. Rerig with a 4" senko. Slurped out on the second cast. Rerig. Third one gets slurped out after a couple more casts.

Got frustrated, poked the hook through the next senko instead of O-ringing it, then this happened:

Even the small bait-sized bream were going hog drat wild on the thing. Out of seven caught total, probably four snatched it before it could even start sinking.

It always cracks me up when a tiny fish tries to take a lure that is nearly as large as it. Also, is bream a local name for bluegill where you are or am I completely misidentifying your fish?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It always cracks me up when a tiny fish tries to take a lure that is nearly as large as it.

Like this? I went out for a fish last night and this little guy might have had eyes bigger than it's stomach

I also got a PB cuttlefish

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yo, uh, you needa stop fishin in the portal from hell before you catch some water demon that murders us all tia.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It always cracks me up when a tiny fish tries to take a lure that is nearly as large as it. Also, is bream a local name for bluegill where you are or am I completely misidentifying your fish?

It's sort of a catchall since there's so many species and so many hybrids; bluegill, pumpkinseed (pictured), green sunfish, redbreast sunfish (aka Robin in my part of the world), etc

E:

gay picnic defence posted:

Like this? I went out for a fish last night and this little guy might have had eyes bigger than it's stomach

In his house at Ry'leh, Cthulu lie-OOH FISHY *chomp*

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gay picnic defence posted:

I've had cuttlefish and it seemed pretty decent. Would love to have it fresh.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Elmnt80 posted:

Yo, uh, you needa stop fishin in the portal from hell before you catch some water demon that murders us all tia.

He keeps getting closer and closer to Cthulhu...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We're back at the lake again this weekend. The water is 70 now which makes me think the lake trout are probably close to the bottom. We don't have much in the way of vertical jigging gear so I'm not sure it's worth fishing at all. Bass opens in 3 weeks though.

Is it worth trolling for lake trout once the water warms up? Or trying to vertical jig with just a regular rod and reel set?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

We're back at the lake again this weekend. The water is 70 now which makes me think the lake trout are probably close to the bottom. We don't have much in the way of vertical jigging gear so I'm not sure it's worth fishing at all. Bass opens in 3 weeks though.

Is it worth trolling for lake trout once the water warms up? Or trying to vertical jig with just a regular rod and reel set?

Trolling and mooching are preferred ways to catch salmon from a boat in any season. I realize that lake trout is not salmon, but it is a salmonid so it seems worth a shot?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went out and trolled with a Williams but got skunked. A couple guys were fishing the same area but with live bait and caught a few. Good to know there's at least fish to be had. Don't have any live bait but we'll try again tomorrow. Feel like I should wacky rig a senko based on how the thread's been going this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

In his house at Ry'leh, Cthulu lie-OOH FISHY *chomp*