Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Davros1 posted:

A Joker trade from 1990 did the same thing with the pattern on Joker's suit

I think Bill Sienkiewicz was the first guy I ever really saw do that in an interesting or successful way; the patterned clothes rendered independent of anatomy or perspective like that. I kind of dig it actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lobok posted:

Billy Graham was doing some fierce work throughout the storyline and particularly liked doing fun things with the titles.

That and the Epilogue thing are sick as hell

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Why would a blind guy need a torch?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Red posted:

Why would a blind guy need a torch?

Warmth. Dude's standing in snow.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Plus, when was the last time you took a swing at a guy holding a torch?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

touche

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Plus, when was the last time you took a swing at a guy holding a torch?

:captainpop:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

A few pages from the oddly proportioned 'Black Sapper'.

https://britishcomics.wordpress.com/2015/04/06/red-dagger/

He tunnels around in his drilly thing and blows up stuff (mainly the Chinese Khansus).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Today's Kill Six Billion Demons

I love Abbadon's art style, it doesn't really remind me of anybody else and it just blazes out of the page and destroys me :asoiaf:

e: view it full size

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Flesh Forge posted:

I love Abbadon's art style, it doesn't really remind me of anybody else and it just blazes out of the page and destroys me :asoiaf:

Someone help me out here, I can't find Waldo

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Someone help me out here, I can't find Waldo

Yeah he's difficult to spot when the forums scale the image.

Look at the full, unscaled version: https://i.imgur.com/RQeeeAL.jpg

edit: center-left, near the topless buckethead brigade

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wayfinder posted:

Yeah he's difficult to spot when the forums scale the image.

Look at the full, unscaled version: https://i.imgur.com/RQeeeAL.jpg

edit: center-left, near the topless buckethead brigade

Goatse or Tubgirl?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's one of those images you can look at once a day for a year and find a new thing every day
e: and no poo poo, there is Waldo there

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

It's one of those images you can look at once a day for a year and find a new thing every day
e: and no poo poo, there is Waldo there

Except it's an edit. :v:
Who knows about part two though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the deal with kill Six Billion Demons, it's a webcomic? Is there a version you can download, I hate reading on websites

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

What's the deal with kill Six Billion Demons, it's a webcomic? Is there a version you can download, I hate reading on websites

https://www.comixology.com/Kill-Six-Billion-Demons/comics-series/77323?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kilmers Elbow posted:

He tunnels around in his drilly thing and blows up stuff (mainly the Chinese Khansus).

It's a coloring book about a civil engineer who likes causing road damage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Flesh Forge posted:

Reminds of Sergio Aragones, whose art style is deceptive at the level of detail he puts into his art

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Reminds of Sergio Aragones, whose art style is deceptive at the level of detail he puts into his art

Agreed. It's like Aragones doing Hieronymus Bosch with just a hint of ukiyo-e stylization.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my favourite thing about k6bd is that despite the baggage of a huge convoluted canon and the creator pouring so much time and effort into it that it would legally be considered his wife in some states, it still doesn't take itself too seriously

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I checked it out and it's extremely my poo poo. I've always had a thing for complex demonological hierarchies and angelic bureaucracies so the subject is great for me. Also, good lord, the art. It's like a cross between Wayne Barlowe and Mobius, and his attention to detail is insane. Great character design, and he does motion and action very well. I'm astonished he's an amateur.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

That's by Terry Patrick, who along with Ron Embleton and Jim Bleach pretty much defined the style of British boys action comics in the period between the Hampson/Lawrence era and the rise of Carlos Ezquerra in the mid-70s.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why does The Black Sapper have tiny legs and everyone else in the comic has normal legs :shrug:

e: Clearly that's not an accident or a mistake, is it ever dealt with in the comic?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If he wasn't a tiny man he wouldn't fit in the machine, clearly. Or maybe his wetsuit is just too tight.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Why does The Black Sapper have tiny legs and everyone else in the comic has normal legs :shrug:

e: Clearly that's not an accident or a mistake, is it ever dealt with in the comic?

My guess is he's a war baby so he's likely the product of some ungodly merging of American GI/Stout British Woman genes.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.
Yeah, thanks for the Kill 6 Billion Demons art drop. Got me hooked in too I think, 5 chapters in now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herb Trimpe is... good?

Hulk 138

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Trimpe was totally solid back in the day. It's when he tried aping Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee in the '90s that he went off the rails.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Trimpe was totally solid back in the day. It's when he tried aping Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee in the '90s that he went off the rails.

I think his cape work in the 60s for Marvel was pretty bad. I think maybe it’s because Trimpe was always aping styles. He’s got kind of a Kirby attitude towards perspective and consistency (ie. he often ignores it), without the talent to back it up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sorry Thor, you're back to being the second most sexy and/or metal norse god.

https://twitter.com/AbsolumT/status/1002224766932127744

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I think his cape work in the 60s for Marvel was pretty bad. I think maybe it’s because Trimpe was always aping styles. He’s got kind of a Kirby attitude towards perspective and consistency (ie. he often ignores it), without the talent to back it up.

I first encountered Trimpe's work in the old Shogun Warriors comic and the way he drew machinery was totally Kirby-swiped (krackles and all), but he drew faces and people in a more Sal Buscema-ish style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry Thor, you're back to being the second most sexy and/or metal norse god.

https://twitter.com/AbsolumT/status/1002224766932127744

That's not even the best hero from Dexter's Lab.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Rhyno posted:

That's not even the best hero from Dexter's Lab.

Yeah but no one really draws Rasslor fanart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

good day for a bris posted:

Yeah but no one really draws Rasslor fanart.

Wrong.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

I refuse to admit anything voiced by Randy "Macho Man" Savage isn't the best of anything in any category

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No one is superior to Capitol G.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Selachian posted:

I first encountered Trimpe's work in the old Shogun Warriors comic and the way he drew machinery was totally Kirby-swiped (krackles and all), but he drew faces and people in a more Sal Buscema-ish style.

Sometimes.

And then sometimes he does stuff like this.

These are all from Hulk 139. This page really gets me, because it's kind of Trimpe in a nutshell... close to being interesting, but without the technical chops to really deliver on the premise.

In the reading order the books shortly after this include some Neal Adams work (Amazing Adventure #5). Goddamn was that guy in another class altogether.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
"lifeglass glass"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Trimpe in a nutshell... close to being interesting, but without the technical chops to really deliver on the premise.

Same. Never liked his work at all. He had some Kirby in him and was a decent story teller but there was no flash or spark to what he did. It felt "by the numbers", unpolished and kind of generic, lacking a certain dynamic quality. Your description of his stuff is spot on. He seemed like a by the numbers assembly line comic book artist and nothing he did ever really stood out.

A flashy or dynamic inker like Klaus Janson or Joe Sinnott might have brought out the promise of his general layouts, which overall were fine, just kind of dull.

Aping Liefeld only bears this out. He was like the ultimate house artist. I think they had him ape Kirby, then Buscema and, I guess Liefeld. Never seen the Liefeld/Trimpe style and I'm g;ad because, Jesus Christ, that sounds awful.

can someone post some examples? Google is failing me.