Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of my co-workers just applied to become redesignated as "Casual/Seasonal" instead of full-time. That means you lose your government benefits, but keep your terrible government salary and can work less than 20 hours per week (at a reduced salary commensurate with time worked.)

Why?

Because she took out a loan to go to a 100% online law school and doesn't want to end up "wasting the money" because she has to focus on work.

Isn't the whole point of online classes that you can keep working full-time or taking care of your family or whatever? Also it's still a waste of money if the degree is coming from a diploma mill and not an actual university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Swimming in debt? Want to leave your wife and start a new life with your mistress? Well you can kill two birds with one stone by tampering with your wife's parachute and collecting that sweet sweet life insurance payout! Just make sure she actually dies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44241364

quote:

Parachute trial: Emile Cilliers guilty of attempted murder

An Army sergeant has been found guilty of trying to murder his wife by tampering with her parachute.

Victoria Cilliers, 41, survived the 4,000ft (1,220m) fall at Netheravon airfield in Wiltshire in April 2015.

Emile Cilliers was plagued with debt and needed his wife's life insurance money to start a new life with his lover, Winchester Crown Court heard.

He was also convicted of trying to kill his wife by causing a gas leak at the family home.

The 38-year-old had denied two counts of attempted murder.

Mrs Cilliers, a highly-experienced parachuting instructor, suffered near-fatal injuries when both her main and reserve parachutes failed when she took part in a jump at the Army Parachute Association.

The trial heard that Cilliers, of the Royal Army Physical Training Corps and an experienced parachute packer, tampered with equipment he knew his wife was going to use.

Lines to the main canopy were twisted and essential parts were missing from the reserve.

The court heard the equipment had never failed in this manner anywhere in the world.

Mrs Cillier's survival was described as a "near-miracle", with it put down to the soft soil of the ploughed field where she landed.

Her light weight was also attributed as a factor in helping to minimise her injuries.

Just days earlier, Cilliers had caused a gas leak at their home in Amesbury, Wiltshire, by loosening a gas valve fitting in a kitchen cupboard.

Jurors heard Cilliers was £22,000 in debt and believed he was set to get a £120,000 life insurance payout in the event of his wife's accidental death.

He needed the money to pay off bills and start a new life with his lover, Stefanie Goller.

Cilliers was planning a new life with Ms Goller while also sleeping with his ex-wife Carly Cilliers, and arranging unprotected sex sessions with prostitutes.

The extent of his money problems was also revealed in messages sent between the married couple in December 2014 as their relationship began to break down.

Det Insp Paul Franklin, of Wiltshire Police, said Cilliers had shown "nothing but contempt" for his family.

'Heavy burden'
"On two separate occasions he made serious attempts to murder Victoria - one of these also endangered the lives of his two young children," he said.

"His selfish motives were simple - he believed that by killing Victoria his financial problems would be solved, his army career would continue with no danger of Victoria trying to damage it, and he could continue his illicit affair with his girlfriend.

"He has failed to accept any responsibility for his actions which reinforces our view that he is a cold, calculating and callous man whose only duty of care is to himself."

Mr Justice Sweeney said he would be seeking a report from the probation service to establish the "dangerousness" of the defendant.

"The burden now falls on me on what to do as far as this defendant is concerned, that too is a heavy burden," he said.

A date for sentencing has not yet been set.

The jury also convicted him of a third count of damaging a gas fitting recklessly endangering life.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Thread needs a new title

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don’t force it!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Just 7 pages past, is all

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

normal contact posted:

Swimming in debt? Want to leave your wife and start a new life with your mistress? Well you can kill two birds with one stone by tampering with your wife's parachute and collecting that sweet sweet life insurance payout! Just make sure she actually dies.

These type of cases are so common. My wife likes watching the ID Channel (ie the Murder channel) and there's a very common theme behind these:

-Murderer is in debt/having an affair/both

-Victim is unhappy, the victim of abuse already, planning on leaving murderer

-Victim is not yet fully isolated from friends and family, and so her peers are concerned for her well being for a while before the murder

-Murder is set up to look like improbable freak accident, home invasion, or mysterious disappearance.

-If a hitman is hired, it typically happens at a point the victim knows their spouse is planning on murdering them, and the 'hitman' is an undercover officer. The murderer will often give instructions like they are calling a plumber for repairs "Yeah that bitch of a water heater just nags me all day. I need you to take care of it, make it look like an accident or something."

-Few rally behind murderer in his defense, occasionally his parents and children but often his own family is suspicious.

-The few murderers that get away with it inevitably get caught on their second or third attempt, often due to similar motives and methods.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Also the field is still oversaturated, as far as I know. Not impossible to find a job, but a bad enough bet that you probably shouldn't take an online law course while slashing your income and benefits.

It is bimodal. If you graduate from a top 11 school you have a good chance at getting 170k working for big law. If not you are stuck making public defender type pay with small annual raises. Only BWM to take on too much debt but otherwise not a bad career.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Thread needs a new title

zaurg posted:

Just ignore the whole "Amount left to be budgeted" part right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

+1

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/999999787461160962

This might actually loop around to GWM because eventually the government is paying off his then $2 million in debt.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

quote:

On a scale of 1 to Tide Pod Challenge, how dumb would it be to buy a house with $175+ in student loans?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8lxcj6/on_a_scale_of_1_to_tide_pod_challenge_how_dumb/

The debt is mostly from law school and I have no other debt. I make around $50k as a prosecutor; I make small income-based payments every month and I'm on track for student loan forgiveness in about 8 years. To keep a mortgage payment around 1/4 of my take-home pay, I would not buy a house that cost more than $175k and I'll only do a 15-year fixed. By the end of the year I will have around $40k saved; most of which will be a down payment.

Would it be dumb for me to buy a house at this juncture?

Warning: I'm not getting a "better job" for more money so don't even ask.
Edit: as much as I would love to have $175 in student loans, it's actually $175k. If only FedLoan Servicing would make the same error!

quote:

Small business failed - still owe two payments of quarterly taxes
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8m1fzh/small_business_failed_still_owe_two_payments_of/

My small business recently went under the water unfortunately and I am currently working on liquidating all remaining assets.

However, due to the US tax system I'm still expected to pay 2 payments of quarterly taxes on profit that I will most likely never earn. (I have enough cash to pay for the one due on June 15). I can technically afford to pay them, but that would require the further selling of various stocks I've invested in for the long term, which would incur capital gains tax.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do, like reach out to the IRS and explain my situation. I do have a CPA but she charges 250/hour so I thought I'd ask here first, thank you for any help you can offer.
lol. Annualized income, bro. It's in the loving 1040-ES instructions. I couldn't imagine why his business failed...

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 25, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/999999787461160962

This might actually loop around to GWM because eventually the government is paying off his then $2 million in debt.

which will be taxable income, most or all of it falling in the top bracket

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

He'll just work out a long-term low interest payment plan with the IRS!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Twerk from Home posted:

E: I finished reading and see that his undergrad was parent paid, and he made no payments for years but bought flashy cars and had kids instead.

Also, wow, USC living expenses per year cost more than my 4yr degree...

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 25, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

E: I finished reading and see that his undergrad was parent paid, and he made no payments for years but bought flashy cars and had kids instead.

Also, wow, USC living expenses per year cost more than my 4yr degree...

But don't you see he financed a used Benz and drives a used Tesla so he doesn't deserve the guillotine.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

The bigger the forgiveness the easier it's gonna be to BK out of after waiting out what, 3 years ? He'll need to get his income down a lot lower to ch7 though

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

normal contact posted:

Whoa! She pulled a Peggy Hill.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

normal contact posted:

Cilliers was planning a new life with Ms Goller while also sleeping with his ex-wife Carly Cilliers, and arranging unprotected sex sessions with prostitutes.

His problem doesn’t seem to be money.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I mean, his main problem is that his wife experienced an actual miracle and somehow survived a 4,000 foot drop, foiling his plan. That feels like a crime that should have been pretty GWM but wasn't.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Seems like the investigation into the failure, that would have happened regardless of her surviving or not, is what did him in.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Twerk from Home posted:

But don't you see he financed a used Benz and drives a used Tesla so he doesn't deserve the guillotine.
Makes >$100,001, guillotine!

quote:

Mid 30's in denial about debt need advice on turning things around if its even possible at this point (~43k)
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8m3ukq/mid_30s_in_denial_about_debt_need_advice_on/

I have been dreading making this post because then it's "real". I don't even know where it all started to go so wrong. Currently I am in ~43k in bad debt (CC's or personal loans). I am the sole earner currently as wife just had our baby. I am completely embarrassed that I've even let things get this bad. It's me, wife, baby, and her 2 kids visit 50% of the time.

Income:
37.83/hr - 40hrs/wk - paid bi-weekly ~78,686 annually
Checking balance: 2506.24

Monthly Obligations:
Mortgage 1817.32 (Bal 253,360.59@3.375 FHA loan amount 260k)
Auto 643.79 (Bal 34,120.87@0% 53 payments left)
Auto insurance 170.82
Wife Auto 349 lease ~10 months left
Wife's Insurance - 463/month
Auto gas - 160
Electric - 90
Natural gas - 130
Phone - 96.25
TV/Internet - 176.33
Water - 66
Student Loans - 276
Food - 400

Bad Debt
Sofi Personal Loan - 722.78 (Bal 26,979@14.24% 49 months on term)
CC1 - 215 (Bal 9238.98@15.49%)
CC2 - 239.47 (Bal 9003.89@20.49%)
CC3 - 231 (Bal 9310.95@20.74%)
CC4 - 104 (Bal 3824.41@19.49%)
CC5 - 150 (Bal 5477.23@16.87%)
CC6 - 173 (Bal 6174.39@19.99%)

Monthly Total 6673.76$

When I put the numbers together I honestly am not sure how I've even survived up to this point. Everything is current as it stands today no missed payments ever and my credit score is in the mid 600's. Wife returning to work will add daycare to this list and she makes 14/hr as a medical assistant. Currently she's been using her tax return to pay her car and insurance which is nearly gone. Completely ashamed of myself for recklessly letting things slide to this point and any advice is much much appreciated.
He counts his bad debt as just the credit card debt, not the personal debt - that would bring it up to $70k.

Plus another $38k in auto obligations - and from the comments, yes, they pay $634/mo in auto insurance holy gently caress. Almost $2k/mo in auto costs...

Plus student loans, but for likely obvious reasons he doesn't bother listing the balance because the payment is so much smaller than his almost $110k in consumer debt.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as of two days ago, nobody who attended the maoist meetings in my undergrad makes less than 100 grand, now

this amuses me

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

SiGmA_X posted:

He counts his bad debt as just the credit card debt, not the personal debt - that would bring it up to $70k.

Plus another $38k in auto obligations - and from the comments, yes, they pay $634/mo in auto insurance holy gently caress. Almost $2k/mo in auto costs...

Plus student loans, but for likely obvious reasons he doesn't bother listing the balance because the payment is so much smaller than his almost $110k in consumer debt.

I try to be a compassionate person, and I like to think I have a basic grasp of the challenges of financial illiteracy, self-reinforcing patterns of bad decision making, the siren song of consumer debt, etc. But once in a while, a primal cry inside me drowns all that out, and screams, "What the gently caress, why didn't you just stop squandering so much loving money?!"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Do I just live in a weird low-insurance bubble? How on Earth does a married middle aged woman end up paying $463/mo (wife's policy) in auto insurance for a non-exotic car. That sounds like multiple DUI rates. Or "teehee I wrecked my 4th car in a year" rates.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Guinness posted:

Do I just live in a weird low-insurance bubble? How on Earth does a married middle aged woman end up paying $463/mo (wife's policy) in auto insurance for a non-exotic car. That sounds like multiple DUI rates. Or "teehee I wrecked my 4th car in a year" rates.

I don’t understand how that’s possible either. My wife and I pay $600 a year to insure our car.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I thought that was wifes health insurance?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as of two days ago, nobody who attended the maoist meetings in my undergrad makes less than 100 grand, now

this amuses me

Was your undergrad Harvard?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Guinness posted:

"Poor driving record on top of Michigan rates." is the OP's answer, so, yeah probably. Oh BTW she's a stay at home mom but needs that car to drive one of her kids to daycare every day. Also apparently that daycare must be in another state or something because the "daily uber would be 30$ each way."

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 25, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

this amuses me

Guillotine Send to the country for re-education.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Vox Nihili posted:

Nearly all of my English lit friends from an underfunded public TX uni are big ballers these days and I myself have never gone a year without getting a nice bump in pay/better job

It owns bones, turns out the professional world loves critical thinking skills and strong communicators. Or maybe foofy, silly liberal arts majors are just good at research. This might be it actually because researching what moves to make for better paying work or identifying new opportunities is pretty drat easy to research. The doing itself just takes time.

E: I just realized why the original anecdote is amusing and my post doesn't apply here, ace critical thinking skills on my part as you can see

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 25, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

stanford

good ol' plutocrat schools, huh

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

General Probe posted:

I thought that was wifes health insurance?
You would think that, but no, comments say its auto. Insane.

quote:

Fortune Builders Scam
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8m3crs/fortune_builders_scam/

One of my best friends just told me him and his wife dropped $35k on courses through Fortune Builders to learn how to invest in flipping houses. I’ve only been reading about the company for an hour, but it seems REALLY difficult to find actual online reviews. The $35k seems like a huge amount of money to invest in these classes...I’m afraid he got burned. Can anyone on here help me convince him to look for a refund or give me some advice on where to find actual reviews?
Sounds like a Trump University course to me!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

this amuses me

Start off communist, end up rich? Sounds like the Chinese government to me.

JFC that guy needs to sell his cars and buy cars he can actually afford.

Who am I kidding? He’s probably upside-down by $10k each.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

quote:

Should I keep trying to get a job or get a truck?
https://www.reddit.com/r/jobs/comments/8m3kfi/should_i_keep_trying_to_get_a_job_or_get_a_truck/

Since I graduated from college two years ago, I've been trying to get a job with no real luck. I've been turned down countless times on account of my lack of confidence. I'm almost thirty and this is something I've had problems with my whole life. I know giving optimistic advice is something you're supposed to do, but realistically I don't think this is something I can overcome.

I've had somewhat good luck being self employed for the past year though. I don't make much but it's a lot more than nothing at all. I've been thinking about getting a truck so I can do more work than I can with my car, but to do that would take a big chunk out of my savings plus the cost of having to insure two cars. There's no guarantee I'll find any more work either, but probably a better chance than I can reasonably expect from job hunting. What should I do?
Uh...

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
the ol' truck equity gamble

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

JFC that guy needs to sell his cars and buy cars he can actually afford.

Who am I kidding? He’s probably upside-down by $10k each.

One is the lease, the other is $13k underwater. He's toast.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Vox Nihili posted:

One is the lease, the other is $13k underwater. He's toast.

At least the lease has just 10 months to go. Needs to ditch the car and take his wife off the insurance. That’s $810/month right there. I don’t understand the need for daycare when she is a stay at home mom too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kids benefit from socialization, among other things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Kids benefit from socialization, among other things.

Daycare is largely not socialization, it's quarantine with other kids. You can do the same as a stay at home parent if.......of wait...EFFORT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Kids are a lot of work, requiring both physical and mental energy. I really can't fault a stay at home parent taking that option if it's available.

Being a stay at home parent (especially the mom, who probably does 80% of everything aside from childrearing) is harder than people think, and not everybody is great at it. The kids might be better off in daycare for their own sake, who knows.