Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In this video when the E1M1 remix kicks in when Doomguy boards the elevator at the end, what is the name of the track from the soundtrack?

https://youtu.be/A-FXqMh1rZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

In this video when the E1M1 remix kicks in when Doomguy boards the elevator at the end, what is the name of the track from the soundtrack?

https://youtu.be/A-FXqMh1rZk
It's track 3, "At Doom's Gate"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Never mind, beaten to the punch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jly9qp40rfw

Here's the song in all its glory (kill)!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The official video from Mick isn't the one that appears in the game though, it's a slightly different take. Here's the song exactly as it plays in the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunWSqTgQLs

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Kins posted:

It's track 3, "At Doom's Gate"

Awesome, thank you!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Xenaero posted:

I kinda wish there was a Find Some Meat! mutator mode thing where you only had the Chainsaw but you had infinite gas for it.

Have some chainsaw related goodness:

Dental practices in Hell have really gone downhill lately

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just realized I got through the entire game on "Nightmare" difficulty and pretty much never used the chainsaw. I guess I constantly forgot about it?

You must be some sort of golden god with an aimbot hand because I absolutely could not have made it through certain parts without a chainsaw-made ammo refill.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ProjektorBoy posted:

You must be some sort of golden god with an aimbot hand because I absolutely could not have made it through certain parts without a chainsaw-made ammo refill.

He might've been switching weapons a lot.
I remember seldom needing the ammo refill as long as I mix up what weapons I use.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On regular difficulty I never had to use the chainsaw but I definitely liked to because even though I didn't run out of ammo on all weapons it was nice to be able to use the weapons I preferred.

And it's a really cathartic gently caress you to an enemy you want gone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ProjektorBoy posted:

Jack Trades posted:

He might've been switching weapons a lot.
I remember seldom needing the ammo refill as long as I mix up what weapons I use.

:c00lbert:

No but really, now that you've got me thinking, I did spend a decent amount of time bouncing between weapons. My main favorites were absolutely the fully-upgraded super shotgun (particularly once you could fire it twice between reloads) and the machine gun with the micro-missile attachment; I feel like I bounced between those a majority of the time, and then the ordinary shotgun (with grenade attachment...almost never the burst function, or the primary shot once I had alternatives) and plasma rifle (with the heat burst attachment). I very rarely used the Gauss Cannon or Chaingun.

EDIT: Now that Rage 2 has been revealed as a real thing being developed under the Bethesda umbrella, does that mean anything for the possibility of DOOM 2/RET4RD 2 being showcased at E3 this year?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 22, 2018

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The current theory is that the Mad Max people got the Doom devs to help them with shooting/movement while they handled the car combat for RAGE2.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

ProjektorBoy posted:

I also very rarely used the chainsaw, but for me it was mostly one of those "too good to use" kinda things. Where I felt like chainsaw fuel was just too precious and effective and thus would use up pretty much ALL of my other ammo before I'd try chainsawing something for a refill. The BFG was similar, as I WOULD use that, but only if its ammo was already full and I stumbled on a pickup for it mid-fight.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

BexGu posted:

The current theory is that the Mad Max people got the Doom devs to help them with shooting/movement while they handled the car combat for RAGE2.

Fingats crosssedd cause I really wanted to like Rage. Got it day 1 with an AMD card and it took some driver updates to really be playable, ran through a bit and put it down, came back later and tried again. The shooting was really fun since I think everything else was CoD/BF-ey at the time, but some of the level design and all the non-shooty parts of the game just bored me out of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:c00lbert:

No but really, now that you've got me thinking, I did spend a decent amount of time bouncing between weapons. My main favorites were absolutely the fully-upgraded super shotgun (particularly once you could fire it twice between reloads) and the machine gun with the micro-missile attachment; I feel like I bounced between those a majority of the time, and then the ordinary shotgun (with grenade attachment...almost never the burst function, or the primary shot once I had alternatives) and plasma rifle (with the heat burst attachment). I very rarely used the Gauss Cannon or Chaingun.

EDIT: Now that Rage 2 has been revealed as a real thing being developed under the Bethesda umbrella, does that mean anything for the possibility of DOOM 2/RET4RD 2 being showcased at E3 this year?
Oh man you missed out by skipping the Gauss and Chainguns. I usually opened a fight with the Gauss, bounced around a lot with the SSG, and chaingunned really really big things.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
siege mode gauss cannon is sweet as hell, and eats lots of ammo so you have to use the chainsaw periodically

synergy

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Maxed out turret mode chaingun simply annihilates entire hordes of lower tier monsters and kills bigger ones super quick. Though I only use it when I have Rich Get Richer active, I assume otherwise it burns through your ammo supply in like three seconds.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My favorite glory kill is the berserk one where you rip an imp in half, vertically, starting at the skull which doesn't make any fuckin sense but you're THE DOOM SLAYER so who's gonna tell you no?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

lol if you care about running out of ammo

just means it's time to rip and tear

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I appreciate that it all makes appropriate PBBTHTH noises. Game's got good sound design.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How's the snapmap scene for DOOM now that we're two years on? Any good single player campaigns and what not to extend the game life?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I had a fun hour or so playing Harvest Doom. There's a handful of fun ones but the scene is dead

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Xenaero posted:

I kinda wish there was a Find Some Meat! mutator mode thing where you only had the Chainsaw but you had infinite gas for it.

Have some chainsaw related goodness:

This and ripping off the baron's horn to beat his face in with it were a couple of my favorite GKs :allears: I like them all though, especially ripping jaws apart or chainsawing dudes in half/taking legs off/etc

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I don't see what big deal about Doom is. Here's a guy rolling through Nightmare and doesn't even have the HUD turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72S2aAxtZOs

So easy.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Considering the insane poo poo pulled off by speedrunners in the classic Doom games, I'm not at all surprised that some people would go to comparable lengths in Doom 2016.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Next time someone that only played Doom 3 asks me how fast is DO4M I'll link that video :stare:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

MMAgCh posted:

Considering the insane poo poo pulled off by speedrunners in the classic Doom games, I'm not at all surprised that some people would go to comparable lengths in Doom 2016.
What's cool is the fast weapon-switching/firing action, which melts almost all enemies before they can react.

I don't know if that's an exploit or if he has key combos to do that. But regardless it really gets my rip-and-tear juices flowing :getin: I'll try that out next time I replay.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

nnnotime posted:

What's cool is the fast weapon-switching/firing action, which melts almost all enemies before they can react.

I don't know if that's an exploit or if he has key combos to do that. But regardless it really gets my rip-and-tear juices flowing :getin: I'll try that out next time I replay.

There was some sort of progression based thing in the game to decrease weapon switch time if I recall. All it takes is binding the guns to more convenient keys than the default to swap like that, and practice. The same thing can be done in half-life as there is a uniform delay for weapon switching. Awesome video! Might need to reinstall Doom after I finish the wolf2 dlc...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got a 13 button mouse and most of those buttons were dedicated to specific weapons when I playing DOOM.
It's really useful specifically for getting quick shots with a big gun and then switching.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

nnnotime posted:

I don't see what big deal about Doom is. Here's a guy rolling through Nightmare and doesn't even have the HUD turned on.

So easy.

I know this is a joke post but for anybody else, seriously if you think anything other than "that's metal as gently caress, I want in" then I really have nothing to say to you.

GuyonthecoucH posted:

There was some sort of progression based thing in the game to decrease weapon switch time if I recall. All it takes is binding the guns to more convenient keys than the default to swap like that, and practice. The same thing can be done in half-life as there is a uniform delay for weapon switching. Awesome video! Might need to reinstall Doom after I finish the wolf2 dlc...

This is key. Rebinding weapon keys to like 1, 2, 3, Q, F, Z, X, C, V, mwheelup, mwheeldn, middleclick almost turns it into a different game. The crazy gun ninja stuff you can do is pretty awesome once you get it down.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 26, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah basically the trick is to realize and understand that you can switch your weapons immediately after firing and the weapons will continue their post-firing animations in the background, so the time spent waiting for the shotgun to reload is time you can use to switch to the rocket launcher and back again. You can poo poo out insane damage just by firing even the weaker weapons in quick succesion. Even on limited console controller setups you can take advantage of the last-weapon-used button to alternate two certain weapons.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 26, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

nnnotime posted:

So easy.

This is loving ridiculous. :stare:

I thought I was pretty good at FPS games.

I... I’m not.
I’m not good at all. :stare:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

From the demons point of view, this is canonical.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

sebmojo posted:

From the demons point of view, this is canonical.

As much as I love the actual gameplay, this is still probably my favorite part of the game.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Xenomrph posted:

I thought I was pretty good at FPS games.

I... I’m not.
I’m not good at all. :stare:

Don't feel too bad, whoever did this probably had to run through the level dozens to hundreds of times in order to get the route dialed in that well. You can tell because they shoot rockets/stun shots and throw grenades at enemies that haven't even spawned yet. Definitely an amazing run, but nobody could do that without lots and lots of repetition.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There could theoretically also be invisible edit points in the trophy challenge transitions if it was produced/recorded in segments. Not saying it can't be done single-segmented - there's obviously lots of showboating and skipping quads and tons of perfect spawn order knowledge, but it's technically possible.

Xenomrph posted:

They should honestly just run that in cinemas and people would be stoked someone finally made a good doom movie

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 27, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Even on limited console controller setups you can take advantage of the last-weapon-used button to alternate two certain weapons.
Yeah, once I started using the weapon swap this way I was absolutely melting every monster including bosses. My two favorites are SS+gauss and SS+rocket launcher with remote detonator

BANGBANG-pew-BANGBANG-pew-BANGBANG-pew

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
11 posts before good performance art started getting dissected by goons.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Don't feel too bad, whoever did this probably had to run through the level dozens to hundreds of times in order to get the route dialed in that well. You can tell because they shoot rockets/stun shots and throw grenades at enemies that haven't even spawned yet. Definitely an amazing run, but nobody could do that without lots and lots of repetition.

True, but I still want to see a hand-cam just to watch the speed and skill.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That's a good video. :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, the guy is pretty good. I almost got the feeling this was his full time job, running through Doom every day.
Also note he completes all the level challenges in the level ending screen.

He did a few more levels on Nightmare w/no HUD.

Here's Foundry/Meltdown: this is a good study for how he handles lower-tier enemies in close quarters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2g9Gig_B8M

I like the fact he's very aggressive with the enemies, though as stated, that's easier to do if you know where they will all appear. There are a few times where he forgets, but he quickly recovers. I recall when I played Foundry I was running away from enemies most of the time, which, of course, is the wrong way to play.

His mousing is very smooth. Says in the video description this was his setup for the Foundry (I edited the full list):

DOOM Graphic Settings : - 1080p , SMAA , fov@120 , no Vsync , no film grain , rest is fully maxed out
Hardware Setup / System Specs when this video was recorded : Cpu : i7 6700k @ 4,8 Ghz ( 24/7 Setting ) Gpu : 2x GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming @ 1545/2000 ( 24/7 Setting )
Screen : Asus VG236H 120 Hz
Mouse : Zowie FK1 ( Omron Switch Mod , Paracord Cable Mod & Hyperglides )
Mousepad : Zowie G-SR -
Keyboard #1 ( Gaming ) : Ducky Mini ( MX-Red's )
Headset : Steelseries Siberia 200 ( black )

Here's his other videos just for reference, but probably not as good as Kadingir Sanctum and Foundry videos:

The UAC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sry3oxaNubI

Resource Operations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZZIGCxQ_I

Argent Facility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roghCmJYgrw