Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

It's standard on the GS, but not available on the lower trims

Oh word? I was only looking at the TourX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

david_a posted:

When I was briefly looking at Mercedes there was a tremendous drop in price once the warranty expired or got real short. I mean that’s probably largely true of every manufacturer, but who in their right mind would want to own an out-of-warranty Mercedes?

Ignorant people that think they are getting a cheap status symbol until it drains what's left of their savings account, or just sits in the driveway because they can't afford to fix it while they take the bus to work.

[e] shoulda bought a Camry

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My folks have owned a bunch of Mercedes out of warranty and they've never had anything go expensively wrong. The caveat with that is that they've always bought them new, and taken good care of them. I don't know I'd buy one from some random dude and expect the same thing to happen.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Mercedes is really good about repair parts availability for an extendeded time. Old Toyotas are becoming difficult to find parts now. A Mercedes 300d is probably as cheap to repair as a ford ranger.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Christobevii3 posted:

Mercedes is really good about repair parts availability for an extendeded time. Old Toyotas are becoming difficult to find parts now. A Mercedes 300d is probably as cheap to repair as a ford ranger.

Mercedes really is the exception. They are far and away the best the automotive industry when it comes to supporting legacy products and routine replacement parts can be shockingly cheap and available for regular non-AMG models. Reliability, generally, is also very good as long as you don't get anything that came out as all-new during the DaimlerChrysler dark ages of 98-06. The E-class has been on Consumer Reports best lists for basically as long as the Camry for a reason.

VAG products have had historical reliability issues, obviously, but anything new enough to be based on the MQB/MLB seems massively better than anything before it. Audi seem to have been getting on top of their carbon build-up issues too in the latest round of engine updates (e.g. their new 3.0 turbo V6), which I'm guessing is part of why Audi is now in charge of all VAG engine development after their latest management shakeup (only exception I know of are the V8 engines, which Porsche is getting).

BMW, if anything, seems to be getting worse.

JRL may have some materials and detail engineering issues that seem straight out of 90s-era Ford, but long-term reliability seems.... Quite good actually. I'd gladly take any modern-era JRL over an equivalent BMW for long-term out of warranty ownership, that's for sure.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

EnergizerFellow posted:

Mercedes really is the exception. They are far and away the best the automotive industry when it comes to supporting legacy products and routine replacement parts can be shockingly cheap and available for regular non-AMG models. Reliability, generally, is also very good as long as you don't get anything that came out as all-new during the DaimlerChrysler dark ages of 98-06. The E-class has been on Consumer Reports best lists for basically as long as the Camry for a reason.

VAG products have had historical reliability issues, obviously, but anything new enough to be based on the MQB/MLB seems massively better than anything before it. Audi seem to have been getting on top of their carbon build-up issues too in the latest round of engine updates (e.g. their new 3.0 turbo V6), which I'm guessing is part of why Audi is now in charge of all VAG engine development after their latest management shakeup (only exception I know of are the V8 engines, which Porsche is getting).

BMW, if anything, seems to be getting worse.

JRL may have some materials and detail engineering issues that seem straight out of 90s-era Ford, but long-term reliability seems.... Quite good actually. I'd gladly take any modern-era JRL over an equivalent BMW for long-term out of warranty ownership, that's for sure.

:agreed:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PT6A posted:

My folks have owned a bunch of Mercedes out of warranty and they've never had anything go expensively wrong. The caveat with that is that they've always bought them new, and taken good care of them. I don't know I'd buy one from some random dude and expect the same thing to happen.

Agreed, if I bought a Merc brand new might as well keep it as long as possible since they depreciate so much. Also the only thing that appeals to me about buying new is knowing it's been taken care of the I want from day one.

That being said, I've had pretty good luck buying used from people that take good care of their cars.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Agreed, if I bought a Merc brand new might as well keep it as long as possible since they depreciate so much. Also the only thing that appeals to me about buying new is knowing it's been taken care of the I want from day one.

That being said, I've had pretty good luck buying used from people that take good care of their cars.

Jokes on you, some tatted up dockyard worker named sledge took it for rips in those 5-10KM you see on the odometer. The last 4km was the service crew doing PDI checkups with the obligatory test drives for customers too. The first 10 are probably the worst the car will ever see.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Jokes on you, some tatted up dockyard worker named sledge took it for rips in those 5-10KM you see on the odometer. The last 4km was the service crew doing PDI checkups with the obligatory test drives for customers too. The first 10 are probably the worst the car will ever see.

If you do Euro delivery, how many km are on the car when you get it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

EnergizerFellow posted:

A W210 E55 AMG is still counted among my attainable dream cars. I almost bought one last year. The look, inside and out, especially with the solid AMG wheels, is among my favorites. But the idea of an aluminum SOHC 3-valves-per-cylinder with two spark plugs per cylinder that's known to be pretty bulletproof makes me wet.

I backed out when I saw how bad they rust. Still want one but I gotta find the right one (and sell some other cars first...)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If you do Euro delivery, how many km are on the car when you get it?

Mine had like 3. Every BMW off the line does a brief dyno run to verify all's well, and they have to move them around for parking / delivery.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CornHolio posted:

A W210 E55 AMG is still counted among my attainable dream cars. I almost bought one last year. The look, inside and out, especially with the solid AMG wheels, is among my favorites. But the idea of an aluminum SOHC 3-valves-per-cylinder with two spark plugs per cylinder that's known to be pretty bulletproof makes me wet.

I backed out when I saw how bad they rust. Still want one but I gotta find the right one (and sell some other cars first...)

You can get a C55 AMG that's essentially the same drivetrain but better built.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

You can get a C55 AMG that's essentially the same drivetrain but better built.

It just doesn't strike me the same way. I don't know, I could never love it even if it's strictly a better car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Honda made something I can really get behind, found this linked on Facebook.

Drivetribe article

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Honda made something I can really get behind, found this linked on Facebook.

Drivetribe article

I appreciate that they went there and made something weird... but...

:barf:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Looks far better than a regular Type R imho.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

Looks far better than a regular Type R imho.

akchuullyyy both are bad

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Type R is cool. I can appreciate the fact that it was designed purely to go as fast as the configuration would allow at the expense of literally everything else.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I saw a Type R in the wild and it looks cool. I was in my Si and gave the driver a big wave and I got one back and then my wife made fun of me for a long time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Having evaluated the choices recently, I found I would be more embarrassed by the Focus RS's pops and crackles than I would the Type R's appearance.

Maybe the Golf R truly is in my future. That's just flat out boring though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can turn the pops and crackles off, but it makes you a monster.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

bull3964 posted:

Maybe the Golf R truly is in my future. That's just flat out boring though.

If the shoe fits...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KillHour posted:

You can turn the pops and crackles off, but it makes you a monster.

Only with a reflash.

I mean, I was embarrassed just doing the test drive. There are times when I would want and enjoy them, but when I'm just pulling in and out of my neighborhood, I would feel like a complete jackass.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unless you're in sport mode, it really only does that when you gun it or downshift to like 4K+.

But more importantly, you're old and boring. I giggle like an idiot when mine does that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KillHour posted:

Unless you're in sport mode, it really only does that when you gun it or downshift to like 4K+.

But more importantly, you're old and boring. I giggle like an idiot when mine does that.

Eh, the one I was driving was did it in normal mode as well. I also couldn't stand the steering feel in normal mode, it felt weirdly boosted in a non-linear fashion.

Like I said, I'd like it sometimes. I just wish there was a specific switch for just that independent of any drive mode.

Mostly though, I'm trying to make actually point about the hypocrisy of people slagging on the Type R on juvenile looks when stuff like the RS is juvenile in different ways. I personally would choose crazy looks over drawing audible attention to myself because I don't like disturbing other people.

I probably wouldn't buy the Golf R and would be most likely to end up with the Type R at this point even with how crazy it looks. It's grown on me every time I've seen it in person.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, I love that the Type R looks stupid. I mean, I personally think it looks stupid but I like that stupid looking cars exist.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The biggest difference between the Type R and the RS is that the underlying Civic hatch is a legit good car while the Focus is a piece of poo poo with a terrible interior

The Type R is just a cooler looking and better car

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I don't get it the Type R looks flat out stupid but you don't want the Ford because it makes cool sounds when driven hard??
I've never had any RS I've gotten to drive or ride in make pops and bangs without intentionally doing it with the throttle. Then again I'm the dildo that wants a tune for the wife's Abarth to make it have pops and bangs lol.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KillHour posted:

Oh, I love that the Type R looks stupid. I mean, I personally think it looks stupid but I like that stupid looking cars exist.

I think that's basically the debate. I don't think anyone thinks it doesn't look stupid, I think it's a question of whether you think stupid looking cars are cool or not. I like them.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Frond posted:

The Type R is cool. I can appreciate the fact that it was designed purely to go as fast as the configuration would allow at the expense of literally everything else.

The regular Civic hatch is the car that is as ugly as everyone says the Type R is.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Those fake rear vents make me unreasonably angry.

I hope some tuner makes a kit for auxiliary fluid coolers to live there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BrownieVK posted:

I don't get it the Type R looks flat out stupid but you don't want the Ford because it makes cool sounds when driven hard??
I've never had any RS I've gotten to drive or ride in make pops and bangs without intentionally doing it with the throttle. Then again I'm the dildo that wants a tune for the wife's Abarth to make it have pops and bangs lol.

There's a large variability in when an where the pops and bangs happen, doesn't seem to be consistent from car to car. The one I was driving was doing it under very light acceleration when I was passing through a residential neighborhood.

It wasn't a deal breaker or anything, I'm just pointing it out as some cognitive dissonance where one was deemed acceptable where another wasn't. They were both concious design decisions to be obnoxious in different ways that serve no other purpose.

The real reason why I'm not buying the RS is because it didn't feel special for some reason. When I test drove a BRZ, it was all I could think about getting back behind the wheel of one until I managed to buy one. The RS didn't leave such an impression for some reason. It was fine, good even, but nothing about the test drive has tickled my brain since I left the dealer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Godzilla07 posted:

The regular Civic hatch is the car that is as ugly as everyone says the Type R is.

no it looks alright without all that plastic poo poo bolted on

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

prom candy posted:

I think that's basically the debate. I don't think anyone thinks it doesn't look stupid, I think it's a question of whether you think stupid looking cars are cool or not. I like them.

Same here. Functional wings/strakes/canards/spoilers/splitters are always cool.

It's also why I love Time Attack cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

McTinkerson posted:

Those fake rear vents make me unreasonably angry.

Almost as angry as those fake exhaust tips where you can see the loving plastic backing inside them.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yes, whoever signs off on those things should be shot into the sun. Or recycled into biofuel.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Who would have known 15 years ago that one day base model Civics would come with factory street fighter body kits.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think I'm gonna need a flowchart now.

Non functional visual stuff = bad
Non functional audio stuff = good
except if the non functional audio stuff is coming from the sound system = bad
so, non functional engine audio stuff = good only if coming from mechanical means

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bull3964 posted:

so, non functional engine audio stuff = good only if coming from mechanical means
From metal downstream of headers == extremely good
From plastic in the engine bay == extremely bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I dunno, I got a car that has tons of power and doesn't require a super loud exhaust and I like it just fine. I never understood why people need to hear a bunch of brrraps and roars that bother the neighbors to get excited about driving when you can just crank up music you love. To each their own but it certainly seems pretty on par with plastic non-functional bits, so I wish the two would accompany each other and they would leave the fake hood vents off my nice go-fast adult car.

Oh speaking of which, someone in Korea decided the Stinger wasn't ricer enough so there is now a package for the 2019 model year that converts all the black chrome bits to carbon fiber (someone in Korea said actual CF, not fake, but I'm not sure) and adds alcantara steering wheel and other bits, and BBS wheels. So some good, some bad. In Korea it's the equivalent of $2,700 which sounds reasonable for all that in terms of price, but I'm assuming that price with be much embiggened when brought to America. It also has a "roof skin" which as far as I can tell just paints the roof black to I guess create the illusion that you have a full-length roof window like an Optima? I'm not gonna bother ganking 14 images but if interested just check out: https://stingerforum.org/threads/new-exterior-interior-tuning-package-for-the-19my-stinger-in-korea.6997/