Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think anything is ever locked out forever because you get a chapter select and can just go back to before that happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

beep by grandpa posted:

I'll warn Mr. Video Game about it when he draws nier it but it won't be for a while.

nierest and dierest goons

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

The only thing I will absolutely soft-spoil about NieR is there's a mainline quest very very late into the game that seems absolutely 100% innocent and whatever right after a fuckload of sidequests open up and if you do it it locks out those sidequests for the remainder of the game. I was loving pissed and restarted the game when I realized that. Especially since your margin to complete those quests is literally a single "go drop this item off somewhere" main quest. It's stupid!! I'll warn Mr. Video Game about it when he draws nier it but it won't be for a while.
... can’t you just do them later?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Akuma posted:

... can’t you just do them later?

Yes but not until you finish that route.

You go to a town and like 5+ side quests open up after you finish the quest to get to that town. If you do not do every single one of those 5 sidequests in that moment and then do the next story mission, which is just "hey go drop this off here tee hee ;0" this side quests get permanently closed for the remainder of the route and you can't do them again unless you reload your save or beat the game and go back.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think anything is ever locked out forever because you get a chapter select and can just go back to before that happens

In playing Drakengard I think I found the repetitive nature of Yoko Taro games tends to get oversold.

Yes, there's a ton of completionist, NG+ kind of stuff to do, but no it definitely does not make you replay the entire game five times to get all five endings. Your sidequests seem to exist on a meta-playthrough checklist rather than needing to do everything in a single go.

Wasn't Bullet Witch by Cavia too? I remember hearing that it was total garbage, but the exact type of game that some people got into and would 100% the whole thing, so I might actually like the drat thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Heavy heavy spoilers for NieR Automata, this like last 2 hours of the game poo poo don't read this unless you've gotten all the main endings:

It's when you go to Pascal's village deep into Route C and play as Pascal for 3 seconds. A bunch of sidequests open up that you can complete as A2, meanwhile Pascalasks you to go take a book of philosophy to the Resistance Village as a main quest. If you do that, well, that triggers Pascal's village to literally cannibalize itself and those quests are, well, dead forever until you beat Route C, D and get ending E and unlock route chapter select.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Heavy heavy spoilers for NieR Automata, this like last 2 hours of the game poo poo don't read this unless you've gotten all the main endings:

It's when you go to Pascal's village deep into Route C and play as Pascal for 3 seconds. A bunch of sidequests open up that you can complete as A2, meanwhile he asks you to go take a book of philosophy to the Resistance Village. If you do that, well, that triggers Pascal's village to literally cannibalize itself and those quests are, well, dead forever until you beat Route C, D and get ending E and unlock route chapter select.

chapter select unlocks after completing route C for what it's worth

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Yes but not until you finish that route.

You go to a town and like 5+ side quests open up after you finish the quest to get to that town. If you do not do every single one of those 5 sidequests in that moment and then do the next story mission, which is just "hey go drop this off here tee hee ;0" this side quests get permanently closed for the remainder of the route and you can't do them again unless you reload your save or beat the game and go back.

you literally said in your last post that it gets locked out for the remainder of the game. chapter select does not unlock when you think it does

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why are you being a dick? Remainder of the game as in they're locked until you beat the game for the last time and unlock chapter select, and you cannot at any point open them back up before that because they are exclusive to Route C.

edit: OH chapter select (which I think is worth spoiling) gets unlocked after you beat Route C the first time, not ending E. But no one reading my spoiler where I said that incorrect info would be affected anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not being a dick, I'm just pointing out that you're being misleading

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

It's when you go to Pascal's village deep into Route C and play as Pascal for 3 seconds. A bunch of sidequests open up that you can complete as A2, meanwhile Pascalasks you to go take a book of philosophy to the Resistance Village as a main quest. If you do that, well, that triggers Pascal's village to literally cannibalize itself and those quests are, well, dead forever until you beat Route C, D and get ending E and unlock route chapter select.

you're locked out until the end of route C, which is an hour or two of gameplay. nothing to go crazy about.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 25, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not being a dick, I'm just pointing out that you're being misleading

What's misleading about "it's locked out for the remainder of the route"? Did you think I'm saying that I'm saying it's permanently missable forever? I don't think I made it sound like that. I said for the remainder of the route.

Attitude Indicator posted:

you're locked out until the end of route C, which is an hour or two of gameplay. nothing to go crazy about.

Yeah you're absolutely right and I got ya but if anyone is sidequest crazy like me I was trying to warn them that you get a really dumb margin of story-time to do that stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hey y'all, it's okay. Let VideoGames explore the game without help unless it's asked for.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

What's misleading about "it's locked out for the remainder of the route"? Did you think I'm saying that I'm saying it's permanently missable forever? I don't think I made it sound like that. I said for the remainder of the route.

Yeah you're absolutely right and I got ya but if anyone is sidequest crazy like me I was trying to warn them that you get a really dumb margin of story-time to do that stuff.

this is what I'm referring to

beep by grandpa posted:

The only thing I will absolutely soft-spoil about NieR is there's a mainline quest very very late into the game that seems absolutely 100% innocent and whatever right after a fuckload of sidequests open up and if you do it it locks out those sidequests for the remainder of the game. I was loving pissed and restarted the game when I realized that. Especially since your margin to complete those quests is literally a single "go drop this item off somewhere" main quest. It's stupid!! I'll warn Mr. Video Game about it when he draws nier it but it won't be for a while.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's not worth arguing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If it makes anyone feel better I have avoided those spoilers luckily and am now playing what I assume is route B because I am Nines and loving this alternate viewpoint.

This might be the best hacking mini game!! (Though I do love pipe dreams from bioshock :D)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is what I'm referring to

Yeah you just misinterpreted that one sentence which I immediately clarified a bunch of times that I just meant for the route! I'm sorry you misread it but I was pretty clear about it every other time! Please understand what I'm saying and let's return to being chill. I just didn't realize my first post made it sound like they were 100% permanently missable to your save file forever. The only thing permanently missable if you gently caress up is Ending Y iirc.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

VideoGames posted:

If it makes anyone feel better I have avoided those spoilers luckily and am now playing what I assume is route B because I am Nines and loving this alternate viewpoint.

This might be the best hacking mini game!! (Though I do love pipe dreams from bioshock :D)

the hacking is mostly so so, but the chip tune music is really nice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not worth arguing.

no offense but I caught up on the god of war spoiler thread recently and found this kind of funny

you're right tho

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nachos posted:

The only games that ever matched their hype for me were Shadow of the Colossus and Super Metroid. I knew those were supposed to be the GOAT going into the games like a decade or two after their release and I finished them in full agreement.

My greatest gaming moments didn't involve me playing but instead watching
1) my friend playing sotc at release on a loving projector. We had no idea that first Colossus was that huge
2) watching another friend play ff7 for the first time in 2003, after he'd leveled aeris up to level 99 on the first disc. I have no idea how he never got spoiled on that and he was going "so this is why everyone kept asking how far I'd gotten"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
One of my favorite gaming moments (I posted this in the fighting games thread) was the day that Mortal Kombat 9 kame out (it was just called Mortal Kombat again) some of my old friends came over and we had a bunch of goof off scrims. Nobody knew the characters and so we were just picking people we knew from the old games and going ham on each other. One of my friends is a notorious egomaniacal poo poo talker and plays, of all goddamn things, Johnny Cage. A good fit. Anyway we're playing our first game and it's two scrubs mashing, I'm Scorpion and he's Johnny Cage and it's a hell of a fight, going back and forth and very close. As scrub matches tend to be. And in case you don't know, in Mortal Kombat your fighters get more hosed up as the fights go on. Anyway, I lose on a sliver of health and his Johnny Cage is beat to poo poo, sunglasses knocked off, bloody scratches all over his body and he says something like "yeah gently caress off!" as he delivers the knockout blow and, desperate for some kind of comeback, I say "well at least I knocked your glasses off, you arrogant rear end" and then, as if on cue, Johnny Cage, as part of his win animation, pulls a new pair of sunglasses out of his pocket and puts them on and flashes a big poo poo-eating grin at the screen. The whole room erupted in cheers and I had to admit...I was owned.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
VideoGames: Do the Emil "Lunar Tears" sidequest, if you missed it in Route A. It's important.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

In GoW can I just upgrade/craft/train whatever seems cool or can I screw myself? I don’t need any specifics.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can't screw yourself afaik

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can't screw yourself afaik

That's quitter talk.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

mastershakeman posted:

2) watching another friend play ff7 for the first time in 2003, after he'd leveled aeris up to level 99 on the first disc. I have no idea how he never got spoiled on that and he was going "so this is why everyone kept asking how far I'd gotten"

lmao that poor fucker

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dantheman650 posted:

In GoW can I just upgrade/craft/train whatever seems cool or can I screw myself? I don’t need any specifics.

Upgrade things according to what you suck at. I suck at dodging/parrying so I upgrade things for health and healing, install gems for temporary defense when hurt, etc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dantheman650 posted:

There are no missable items and no mutually exclusive choices, do whatever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

...that Mortal Kombat 9 kame out...

I like the story, but I love this little detail. :allears:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For what it’s worth I doubt fewer people in this thread are more critical of Nier:A than I am but Nines is probably one of the best written and acted video game characters since Raziel/Kain from Soul Reaver. The 2B actress did great, but Nines character arc and his line readings are Top of their Class.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

For what it’s worth I doubt fewer people in this thread are more critical of Nier:A than I am but Nines is probably one of the best written and acted video game characters since Raziel/Kain from Soul Reaver. The 2B actress did great, but Nines character arc and his line readings are Top of their Class.
His stuff immediately before and after finishing the A ending was really something for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

no offense but I caught up on the god of war spoiler thread recently and found this kind of funny

you're right tho

Fair enough. I'm not saying I don't argue a lot :)

It was a fun enough game, I just wanted to decompress from it at the time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Did you play in English? If so, can you elaborate in spoiler tags?

I was kind of worried the dub would be weird so I played the whole thing in Japanese and it was amazing.

VideoGames posted:

Buy a lance for 9-ess, and then install the charge attack chip! Between that and hacking, no power in the 'verse can stop you!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think I need spoilers for this: in a world where Nolan North and Troy Baker have been gruff-tuff manly boots dudes for over 1,000 games, Nines quiet, effeminate affectation not only serves to illustrate his role as a support unit, but also perfectly foils the gruff, dry, not-quite-masculine readings from 2B.

This also really sells how unhinged, violently obsessed, and dangerous he becomes later in the game.

There is a YouTube video or a Twitch VOD of 9S and 2B’s voice actors playing the game with the sound off and doing their lines live over the cut scenes and as someone who both thinks this game is overrated and can’t stand watching people play video games, it’s amazing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think I need spoilers for this: in a world where Nolan North and Troy Baker have been gruff-tuff manly boots dudes for over 1,000 games, Nines quiet, effeminate affectation not only serves to illustrate his role as a support unit, but also perfectly foils the gruff, dry, not-quite-masculine readings from 2B.

This also really sells how unhinged, violently obsessed, and dangerous he becomes later in the game.

There is a YouTube video or a Twitch VOD of 9S and 2B’s voice actors playing the game with the sound off and doing their lines live over the cut scenes and as someone who both thinks this game is overrated and can’t stand watching people play video games, it’s amazing.

There's a series of Youtube videos of Adam Jensen's va joining in on a walkthrough of Human Revolution and laughing about his voice acting, or relative lack of it (he just sounds like that all the time).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The teenagers turning en masse in Beyond was like the single most realistic thing in that game lmao

Keep in mind literally none of them had ever met her or spent time with her before that day, and also, that they are teenagers

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is the Dark Souls of PS4 remasters.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dark Souls Remastered is the remaster of PS4 remasters

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

precision posted:

The teenagers turning en masse in Beyond was like the single most realistic thing in that game lmao

Keep in mind literally none of them had ever met her or spent time with her before that day, and also, that they are teenagers

ikr its like that guy has never met a teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is the Dark Souls of PS4 remasters.

that should be the thread title for the game