Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

- Ms. Shirato's motivations and actions are just all over the place. It's not consistent with how she has been through the entire series. Joe crashing the ceremony brought no further convincing argument to the table beyond what was already said in Nanbu's meeting, yet she changes her mind.

Kayfabe.

Making an announcement that there was funny business and there must be a rematch is boring (in-universe). Having the people's favorite underdog show up to a huge event and demand the rematch in person and for the exec to make a comment about funny business and assent to the rematch is both hype inducing (again, in-universe) and far more legitimate looking.

Also there were arc words if you missed them. 'Genuine article'. You even get to see her take the hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
still waiting for the spin-off where we just see yakuza man cook

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

still waiting for the spin-off where we just see yakuza man cook

Uhh... not sure that graphic cannibalism is the sort of thing you build a TV show around.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Darth Walrus posted:

Uhh... not sure that graphic cannibalism is the sort of thing you build a TV show around.

Worked for 91 Days (kind of).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ranzear posted:

Kayfabe.

Making an announcement that there was funny business and there must be a rematch is boring (in-universe). Having the people's favorite underdog show up to a huge event and demand the rematch in person and for the exec to make a comment about funny business and assent to the rematch is both hype inducing (again, in-universe) and far more legitimate looking.

Also there were arc words if you missed them. 'Genuine article'. You even get to see her take the hint.

This was not kayfabe, it was poorly written spontaneous nonsense to fill time.

Kayfabe would have been a great way to execute this episode, with Ms. Shirato playing puppetmaster. Instead we get this waffling inconsistency over what her character is even doing. Like why does the company board even have to exist? Is she going to ignore them or not? Was the power struggle she won over he brother even worth anything? This episode portrayed inconsistent in-world answers to all of this. Just sloppy.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Next week can't come soon enough, I really liked this ep although I'll agree the scene order was a little out of whack

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The company board exists because companies have boards of directors. That's pretty obvious dude

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GorfZaplen posted:

The company board exists because companies have boards of directors. That's pretty obvious dude

More than that, they exist so Yukiko has someone (or rather, a group) to disagree with and come in to conflict with regarding the economics of real boxing. They'll be faceless, soulless corporate assholes who care about profit over entertainment or skill so Yukiko can actually break from that and be more than a lovely company (wo)man.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Kayfabe would have been a great way to execute this episode, with Ms. Shirato playing puppetmaster. Instead we get this waffling inconsistency over what her character is even doing.

I think you interpreted it as kayfabe for us. I mean kayfabe for the in-show viewers of Megalonia.

She's waffling because she can't just step out and excuse Joe's no-show no matter how badly she wants to keep her brother out. She's also a Shirato, so being openly hostile against Mikio wouldn't look good.

She can't actively undermine the integrity of the competition, but she can definitely bend to hype as long as it doesn't look like it was her idea all along. "You can't get in by winning by default" is a very smooth shutdown.

I'd say she played it out just fine.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That episode seemed fine, albeit fairly predictable.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Episode good

And really, I'm just glad they didn't pull another instance of a countdown reaching its end just as the previous episode ends, and next episode immediately has someone stop the countdown, WE JUST BARELY DIDN'T SEE IT PREVIOUS EP
I know it's, like, the most ancient cliffhanger device that there is, but I'm happy they didn't do it again.

Also, Yukiko's great fun. Really looked to me like she was actually considering and finally seizing an opportunity when it was just right for her, standing-wise. "Grandfather chose me because I MAKE THE RULES." Bwahaha, what a great line

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Great episode. Joe outperformed Nanbu because he understands his rematch appeal has to be as flashy and dramatic as possible.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

THERE IT IS! THE CROSS COUNTER!!!!!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And here comes the mob boss to ruin stuff.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Oh god Mob Boss is gonna demand that Joe throw the next match since Joe is a massive star. Nanbu is gonna agree but in the end let Joe finish the next match which is gonna mean Nanbu will get iced by Mob Boss.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

GorfZaplen posted:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

And Joe doesn't know how to stay down.

Probably'll get him killed some day.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand "If I sit down, I'm not getting up". Which did a good job emphasizing how hosed he was feeling at that moment.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

THERE IT IS! THE CROSS COUNTER!!!!!!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also check it, its the AnJ author and the illustrator

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was kind of wondering why the show seemed to focus on 2 apparent nobodies for a second or two. Thanks for the info.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
poo poo’s always been pretty real but poo poo just got REAL. Top show.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Probably my favourite episode so far. Yuri is real fun to watch box. I dunno much about boxing, but from the thread I was cognizant of a lot of footwork and such this time.

I also dunno from Spanish, but Iglesias definitely sounded like his Japanese had a definite accent and Burroughs spoke English fluently. Neither of which matter but is a nice touch from a production side, the terrible English you get from supposedly native speakers in a lot of anime always take me out of the scene.

Cool scene between Joe and Yuri. Even if this is only like their third scene together, there's a real sense of deep connection between the two that really sells their relationship.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

man pepe's boxing was so cool, a shame there wasn't any way to see him get two fights in megalonia

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im so hype for the last 3 episodes!!!

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Probably my favourite episode so far. Yuri is real fun to watch box. I dunno much about boxing, but from the thread I was cognizant of a lot of footwork and such this time.

I also dunno from Spanish, but Iglesias definitely sounded like his Japanese had a definite accent and Burroughs spoke English fluently. Neither of which matter but is a nice touch from a production side, the terrible English you get from supposedly native speakers in a lot of anime always take me out of the scene.

Cool scene between Joe and Yuri. Even if this is only like their third scene together, there's a real sense of deep connection between the two that really sells their relationship.

don't worry, there's basically no substantive "real boxing" to follow in this show. to do so would nuke their animation budget anyway.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Rohan Kishibe posted:

AnJ's broken rear end English is absolutely loving LEGENDARY by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCSJtHyKVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wgi0N4GtI

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i just watched ep 9. im really cheering for my boy joe. idk why the mafia fucker has to cause problems now.

the dropped guard stance is another great callback

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

i just watched ep 9. im really cheering for my boy joe. idk why the mafia fucker has to cause problems now.

the dropped guard stance is another great callback

The Mafia jerk wants to fix the match with Burroughs. (Presumably. He sees the odds as too one sided in Yuri's favor to try it in the finals.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Mafia jerk wants to fix the match with Burroughs. (Presumably. He sees the odds as too one sided in Yuri's favor to try it in the finals.)

Not just that, but Joe's hype is basically at its peak after everything up to this point. As far as we've seen in the series, there doesn't seem to be that huge of a crowd backing Burroughs where the fight is taking place and where they'll be collecting bets. So between the two, most of them would probably be going to bet on Joe. Meanwhile if he's up against Yuri, aside from the actual fight appearing to be one-sided, Yuri is the number one fighter and there's no way people wouldn't bet a ton of him over Joe.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it and they simply wanted there to be a speedbump before the big showdown.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:rip: Nanbu

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

that was my guess too but im excited to see.

only real complaint so far: wish we got a little more Yuri. his "rikiishi eyes" moment in episode 9 was INCREDIBLE

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I'm so scared. I've really grown to love Nanbu.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whatever Nanbu has planned is going to sink that frog with him too so here's hoping its good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh, yeah having an extended spelling out of the scorpion and frog story was lame

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

oh, yeah having an extended spelling out of the scorpion and frog story was lame

:wrong:

I think Megalobox has earned it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
With only three episodes left I really don't see them building to the same end as Tomorrow's Joe.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm glad that the show is good enough to absorb bad writing like that, but well it's still bad. use that time for something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't really see how telling a full fable some of the people watching may not know is really bad writing to be honest. I'd assume most people do know it, but it's not inconceivable a lot of younger viewers wouldn't.

• Locked thread